Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 6th with 9 points is
    Sawduck

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098800/
    IMDB wrote:
    A streetwise, poor young man from Philadelphia is sent by his mother to live with his aunt, uncle and cousins in their Bel-Air mansion.

oxyCKZ8l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 7.6
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 85.6%

Episode 1: "The Fresh Prince Project"
    It's hard not to rate this pilot very very highly, because it's exactly what you want from an opening episode to a new TV show. The premise is established from the get go, in arguably one of the most famous theme songs there is. All the characters are introduced one by one as Will arrives at the house and is introduced/re-introduced to Uncle Phil, Aunt Viv, Hilary, Carlton, Ashley, and Geoffrey, all of whom have their moment to shine in this episode with some great lines and gags. The jokes are pretty much constant and the whole episode is just a lot of fun from beginning to end, and they even manage to throw in a poignant moment between Will and Uncle Phil towards the end, that clearly establishes that even though these two are going to be butting heads a lot, underneath it all there's a genuine warmth there. Can't fault this at all, even when the walls of the set very clearly shake as Will animatedly staples a poster of Malcolm X to his bedroom wall, it honestly just adds to the fun of it all.

Episode 2: "Bang The Drum, Ashley"
    Nowhere as strong an outing as the first episode, but still quite enjoyable and we get the first appearance of Jazz which saves the episode a bit. To be fair, the pilot episode is a tough act to follow and this just wasn't able to live up to those expectations. The previous episode had quite a few scenes of Will and Ashley bonding, so maybe this episode would've worked better a couple of episodes down the line, because it felt a bit too samey while not managing to maintain the prior magic. An episode focused on Will and Carlton, or Will and Hillary might have worked better here as Will's interactions with them so far haven't been as rich as those with the other characters, and it probably would've felt a bit fresher (pun intended) to see those characters and relationships developed more.

Episode 3: "Clubba Hubba"
    I wanted more Will and Carlton and I got more Will and Carlton. This was much in line with what I wanted from this episode, with Ashley more on the periphery after getting plenty of screentime in the first two episode, Carlton gets a lot to do here, and Phil, Vivian, Geoffry, and Hillary all get some great moments too. It doesn't quite hit the heights of the first episode, but is definitely a step up from the second episode. The main guest characters in this episode, Mimi Mumford and Dr. Mumford, I really enjoyed as well.

Final Thoughts:
    I've seen The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air quite a few times and one that was a staple of my childhood, so always happy to give it a watch. There are definitely some standout episodes in its run and the very first episode, The Fresh Prince Project, is certainly one of them for me. Clubba Hubba is actually a lot better than I remember it being from previous viewings as well, it's not one that stood out much in my memory, but then again I haven't had to look at it from a critical standpoint before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Keeping Up Appearances is the most succesful sitcom BBC ever made. It is dubbed and shown in countries all over the world, even today still!
    Great show.

This one might contain some controversial opinions... :pac:

In 10th place with 5 points is
    SineadSpears

Father Ted

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111958/
    IMDB wrote:
    Three misfit priests and their housekeeper live on Craggy Island, not the peaceful and quiet part of Ireland that it seems to be.

fYKT6Z3l.png

Episode 1 Rating: 7
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 76.6%

Episode 1: "Good Luck, Father Ted"
    Perhaps having seen hundreds of repeats or having it constantly quoted for the past twenty-five years, but some of the shine of Father Ted has worn off for me. This is still a decent-ish episode and there's some strong jokes throughout, but "enjoyable enough" is probably the highest praise I could give it overall. Dermot Morgan holds everything together well, but it doesn't feel like the rest of the cast have quite settled into their characters yet and probably need another few hours in the oven before they're done. The story for this episode is a bit on the thin side, so everything feels a bit disjointed, as if they didn't have enough story to fill 24 minutes, so they threw a dozen or so extra gags and a musical interlude into the mix. I'm sure there's a few people looking at this and thinking giving Father Ted anything other than full marks is pure sacrilege, and I imagine there was a time that I might've agreed with that sentiment, but as a stand-alone episode of television, Good Luck Father Ted, is decent, but nothing special.

Episode 2: "Entertaining Father Stone"
    A much better episode, had a much stronger plot to it, and Michael Redmond is comedy gold as Father Stone. Redmond and Morgan carry this episode, as do some of the other guest characters. I think 10 year-old me was a big fan of Dougal and probably thought he was by far the funniest character on television, but I'm struggling to find much joy in him in either of the first two episodes, I think I just prefer comedy characters who have a bit of wit and smarts to them or at least some sort of self awareness, rather than the low hanging fruits Dougal brings to the table ; it's the overall goofiness of his expressions that I struggle with, if I'm going to enjoy a ridiculously stupid character I'm more likely to warm to someone completely deadpan like Trigger in Only Fools & Horses. Not saying that some of Dougal's lines and antics don't work, Ted's reactions to him can often make it work, but Dougal himself just wears thin on me quickly. Mrs. Doyle and Jack I also struggle with, but for the most part they're used sparingly, and don't feature much in this episode which probably helps. It's not a huge thing, it just stops me rating the episodes as highly as other people might. Dougal issues aside, there's enough happening here with Ted and Stone to overlook a lot of that, and from memory probably one of the stronger Father Ted episodes.

Episode 3: "The Passion of Saint Tibulus"
    Jaysus the VCR Player Father Hernandez gifts Dougal with "only a 3-week pre-record" gag has aged terribly, given the joke was he was apoligising for giving him primitive technology, but at the time that was state of the art. I thought the episode was reasonably good, once again a guest star elevated the episode for me, this time Jim Norton in his first appearance as Bishop Len Brennan, all the stuff with him was great, although he wasn't as prominent in the episode as Michael Redmond was in the last one, so didn’t enjoy it quite as much.

Final Thoughts:
    Perhaps as a nation we have a rose tinted view of Father Ted given back when it first aired it was one of the few TV endeavours we could point to with any sort of national pride, but we've come a long way since those days and have produced some far superior things on this island ; Love/Hate, Paths To Freedom, Bachelor's Walk, The Fall, Derry Girls, and pretty much anything TG4 have ever churned out just to give a few examples. Father Ted will always have a special place in the hearts of the Irish, and no doubt will continue to be quoted for decades to come, and it'll be enjoyable enough to revisit it again in fifteen to twenty years time, its by no means a bad show, but not as funny as half the population make it out to be, so lets knock it on the head for a bit and stop pretending it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

LeVar, you're wrong, Father Ted is amazing :P

LeVar: 1Yo9PhFDYMpV.gif

:pac: Ah in fairness all your points are fairly valid re: Ted. I think Dermot Morgan's untimely death also probably places it high up in the feels for a lot of people.

In 5th with 10 points is
    Alfred Borden

Batman: The Animated Series

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/
    IMDB wrote:
    The Dark Knight battles crime in Gotham City with occasional help from Robin and Batgirl.

6PrQODKl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 88.6%

Episode 1: "The Cat & The Claw"
    Ah yes, Kevin Conroy will always be my Batman, and this is certainly one of the finest animated shows ever made. There's a lot to love about it and I really enjoyed this forty minutes of bat-action, especially the duality and contrast of the Batman and Catwoman dynamic, and Bruce and Selina's relationship, all of that which was great, and is essentially the bones of the episode, and if that had been the sole focus of the episode I'd probably be giving this top marks. Red Claw though was not so great - her accent constantly changed going from Eastern European to Jamaican to Scottish, it was all over the place. I also found myself not being able to concentrate on Red Claw's motivations because they accent was distracting me so much, so I did get a little lost in the details. I don't think destroying the virus/plague by burning it makes any sense either, but I guess a kid wouldn't question that, and an explosion looks cooler as a resolution to the action than a team of scientists in hazmat suits coming in to take over from Batman, so I can forgive that to an extent.

Episode 2: "On Leather Wings"
    On Leather Wings is a great showcase for the animation in this series. The use of shadows and shading is superb, and I know this was the first cartoon where they drew on black paper rather than white paper which was a huge gamble at the time, but a huge draw to the show is down to its dark colour palette, as well as the care taken by the animators, makes it appear ahead of its time. Man-Bat may not be the most compelling of Batman's rogues gallery from a psychological standpoint, but physically he allows for an epic showdown with Batman which again highlights the animation. We get to see a good bit of Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock here establishing their relatioship with each other and an insight into how both of them view Batman, Harvey Dent makes a brief cameo, and Alfred gets some great one-liners, as Batman uses his detective skills to crack the case, so they manage to pack a lot in to twenty minutes.

Episode 3: "Heart of Ice"
    Victor Fries has possibly the most tragic backstories of Batman's enemies and one of the villains we can be most empathetic towards. That back-story for Victor and Nora was written specifically for this episode, it wasn't something that had appeared in the comics prior to this point, although has later been written in and is now considered canonically to be Mr. Freeze's official origin story. It's also a pretty bleak origin to explore in a kids show, but Paul Dini (who also created the character of Harley Quinn, and went on to write my favourite graphic novel, the auto-biographical "Dark Night: A True Batman Story") went for it anyway, and I think it's a risk that paid off, because this is an episode that works really really well.

Final Thoughts:
    Batman: The Animated Series is one of those childhood shows that holds up even better than you remember when watching it as an adult, and is something I've dipped in and out of over the years, watching the odd episode here and there. I do think this is as a good as time as any to do a full re-watch, because there's some absolute gems in there, like On Leather Wings and Heart of Ice.

• Advertisement

I was gonna submit Batman: TAS but I was worried I'd duplicate it with something else. Great choice that.

Now how did my other selection go :eek:

I believe this is the longest review in the entire Walrus, and I'm not even sure why this show inspired me to write such lengthy write-ups...

In 11th with 4 points is
    Kolido

Beverly Hills, 90210

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098749/
    IMDB wrote:
    A group of friends living in Beverly Hills, California make their way through life from their school days into adulthood.

YzFS8Dol.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 4.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 68.6%

Episode 1: "Class of Beverly Hills"
    It's amazing this series managed to last nearly 300 episodes, after such a dull pilot episode. There were a lot of problems here, but the biggest one, is that its dragged out for 90 minutes when there's barely enough story to cover a 45 minute runtime. It also kind of just plods along from scenario to scenario with no real sense of structure. By the end of the episode I don't really feel like I know any of the main characters… It's hard to tell if Brandon is supposed to be a really cool and suave all American hero, or a bit of a dork, because it pretty much changes from scene to scene. All I really know about Brenda is she pronounces lawyer weirdly, and that Brandon and Brenda seem to have a really uncomfortable twincest vibe going on, but its not meant to be intentional, just a combination of dodgy dialogue (the dialogue is clunky and cringey throughout the episode) and the way Jason Priestly and Shannen Doherty are playing the parts. As for the other main teen cast they're basically caricatures in this pilot ; Steve's an asshole, Kelly's super popular, Andrea is an opinionated know-all, David and Scott are nerdy freshmen, and Donna's there… literally she's just there, she has one irrelevant line in the whole episode and the rest of the time serve's as Kelly's shadow, and I double checked that Tori Spelling is actually listed as starring in the opening credits, because she's really just an extra here. Jim & Cindy are stereotypical teen drama TV parents who spend the whole time banging on about homework and curfews, which didn't add much to anything aside from a lot of eye-rolling from me. The acting is a bit dodgy overall, apart from one flower delivery guy who is on-screen for about a minute and he steals the limelight of the whole episode, and I want a watch a show about that guy. There's a scene with Brandon and Andrea towards the end of the episode that I thought was actually really great, and there's a good dynamic between those two, which only highlighted that it would've been nice if the pilot spent more time establishing these relationships between Brandon, Brenda, and their classmates who are actual regulars on the show, instead of shoehorning in romantic interests for the Walsh twins with characters we'll presumably never see or hear about ever again. It's not terrible, but it's also just not very good, and just I hope that they work out a lot of these problems before episode two.

Episode 2: "The Green Room"
    Between the pilot and this second episode, Luke Perry joined the cast, so here we get the first appearance of Dylan McKay, and the show is all the better for it, because Dylan McKay is one of the coolest '90s TV Characters. Brandon and Dylan take center stage here, so everyone else take a bit of a backseat, apart from maybe Brenda and Cindy who still get a bit to do. This actually works to in favour of the episode, because aside from Andrea, I don't yet give much of a sh*t about any of the other characters outside of Dylan and the Walsh family, so was happen enough to see them used sparingly, although they all still have a presence ; Donna still draws the short straw though, and gets only two lines, which I still find kind of odd considering Tori Spelling is one of the first people I associate with Beverly Hills, 90210. The show still has some issues, it's a bit cringey at times, and Brandon and Brenda are still giving off weird twincest vibes, but I almost don't care because Dylan is here and I enjoyed this bromantic origin story for him and Brandon.

Episode 3: "Every Dream Has Its Price (Tag)"
    This was cheesy as hell, the Walshes are single-handedly making Beverly Hills a better place and have zero flaws of their own ; Brenda befriends a kleptomaniac who is helped see the error of her ways and convinced to seek help after two heartfelt conversations with both Brenda and Cindy, Brandon gets a job at a restaurant and when he realises that the migrant employees are being (shocker to no one) exploited he quits on the spot and promises to expose the owner in the West Beverly High newspaper as a lot of parents read that paper and will be interested to hear of this exploitation, and when Jim "accidentally" hires a housekeeper Cindy doesn't want to be like all the other Beverly Hills poshos and insists on cleaning alongside Anna and becoming friends with her because due to a language barrier she can't just let her go. By the end of the episode everything is wrapped up in a neat little bow and we the viewers have learned some valuable lessons, and its all very heartwarming and feel-good, but despite the cheesiness I enjoyed it almost as much as the previous episode. For those interested in "Donna Watch", Donna wasn't even in this one, but in fairness anyone who didn't have the Walsh surname did very little in this one and most of them only appeared in a scene or two.

Final Thoughts:
    I was a big fan of Beverly Hills back in the day despite the fact I was probably too young to be watching it. I've re-watched a bit of it over the years, so know it evolves into a much more grown up soapy show as the series progresses, as opposed to the issue-of-the-week family drama it is in the early days, but I still enjoy the first season for what it is anyway. The pilot really drags it down here a lot, and is without a doubt the worst episode in the show's entire run, which is unfortunate. I most likely will go on and do a full re-watch of this, but there's definitely some other shows in this Walrus that'll get my attention first, before I go down the 90210 rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Your final thoughts on Father Ted are spot on. I approve :)

In 4th with 11 points is
    JP Liz V1

Picket Fences

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103512/
    IMDB wrote:
    An aging Sheriff tries to keep the peace in Rome, Wisconsin, a small town plagued by bizarre and violent crimes.

rAa8Oh4l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 3 Rating: 7.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 89.6%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Not sure why, but I had wrongly assumed that this was going to be a cheesy lovey-dovey family drama, so it took me by surprise when it actually turned out to be more like a Twin Peaks meets Family Ties meets Gilmore Girls hybrid, with crimes to be solved in a quirky little town, as the Sheriff and his family take center stage. Like all three of those shows, this is very well written and all of the characters bring something to the table. Holly Marie Combs who plays the daughter in this was at Dublin Comic Con last year and while most of her Q&A unsurprisingly ended up being centered on Charmed, there was a couple of questions about her time on Picket Fences, although at that point I had never heard of the show, so it meant nothing to me, but it was on my radar as a result and I'm glad I finally got the kick in the arse to go watch it, because I really loved this, and can't wait to see what comes next, presumably it'll be a crime of the week situation, with any arcs being based around the personal lives of the family or the sheriff's deputies, but I'm excited to watch the next one and hope it's as good as this first episode was.

Episode 2: "The Green Bay Chopper"
    This show is hilarious ; I had to pause for a couple of minutes at one point because I was laughing so hard that they had someone come down to the morgue to see if she could identify a severed hand (it's literally just a severed hand, no body has been found or anything) as her husband's, she says its his and then when asked if she was sure, says "it's my husband! Of course I'm sure", as if the whole thing wasn't completely ridiculous. There were some fantastic deadpan moments throughout the episode, but that one was just the cherry on top. Hilarity aside, the show also does a really good job at hitting emotional dramatic beats and I'm a big fan of shows that can strike that balance well. I was worried that episode two wouldn't manage to live up to the pilot, but this was just superbly written and the cast are all so damn likeable, its hard not to love it.

Episode 3: "Mr. Dreeb Comes To Town"
    Compared to the first two episodes this didn't manage to hit the same highs for me. There was still a lot to like about it, but just nowhere near as good as what came before it. It still had those quirky elements that I really enjoyed, and from the fun and weird side of things it still worked mostly, but there were also some elements with guest characters that were meant to be emotionally charged that didn't feel at all earned. Maybe if those characters had been about for a handful of episodes and had more interactions and time for their relationships with the main characters to mean something, it would've had the desired impact, there just wasn't enough reason for me to care enough about these people.

Final Thoughts:
    Third episode mis-step aside, the first two episodes garnered enough good will with me to keep watching more Picket Fences going forward. It's weird and the characters are likeable enough to draw my interest, so I'm on board through the highs and the lows, and this series was a great discovery.

Which leaves 6 people eagerly awaiting the determination of their fates...

As always, let's make the Top 3 and Bottom 3 sweat it out for a few minutes before diving into the Final 6...

In alphabetical order those 6 are:

cee_jay
    Electric Nitwit
    Irish Aris
    Necro
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

• Advertisement

Also sorry to derail a bit, but how do you read those spoilers? I use a tablet & can't read them. I've a laptop here but I use the tablet because its less bulky

Which leaves 6 people eagerly awaiting the determination of their fates...

As always, let's make the Top 3 and Bottom 3 sweat it out for a few minutes before diving into the Final 6...

In alphabetical order those 6 are:

cee_jay
    Electric Nitwit
    Irish Aris
    Necro
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

km4OnSDJOXx5.gif

Also sorry to derail a bit, but how do you read those spoilers? I use a tablet & can't read them. I've a laptop here but I use the tablet because its less bulky

I think on touch if you tap the spoiler it removes the tags

Necro wrote: »

Yeah, that should be how it works, is on the phone anyway. Don't use a tablet myself ever though, so not sure...

In 12th with 3 points is
    Irish Aris

The Nanny

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106080/
    IMDB wrote:
    After being fired from her job and dumped by her boyfriend, a cosmetics saleswoman becomes the nanny to the three children of a rich English widower. As time passes, the two fall for each other.

QnCgiQ5l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 6.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 68%

Episode 1: "The Nanny"
    And the most annoying theme tune award goes to… I mean, that intro sounds like someone bought it dirt cheap because it fell off the back of truck. Lets just say it’s a good thing, I'm not here to judge theme tunes. Anyway, terrible theme song aside, this was a lot better than I expected it would be. I can only vaguely remember watching The Nanny when I was a kid, but can't remember whether the show was any good or not, nor anything else about the show except for the fact that I have always had Fran Drescher's nasally voice imprinted in my brain for most of my life. The fact that it seemed so unmemorable to me, had me worried before I sat down to watch it. The show lives and dies on how you feel about Drescher, she's a bit like marmite in the sense that you'll either love her or hate her. I've never tried marmite, but I really like Drescher here and in anything else I've seen her in ; I find the whole persona very likeable and endearing, and her comic timing is great. Found most of the cast endearing and the episode had some good laughs. The only thing that dragged it down a bit for me was Charles Shaugnessy who plays Maxwell ; as the leading man his performance felt very wooden and lifeless, and he's supposed to be stiff-upper-lipped Brit in a charming Hugh Grant sort of way, but he'd give Pat "The Plank" Kenny a run for his money as one of the most boring individuals ever to grace the telly box. Hopefully, he loosens up by the next episode, because if not for him I would've given this episode a near perfect rating.

Episode 2: "Smoke Gets In Your Lies"
    Had high hopes for this following the pilot, but everything just started falling apart for me here. The first episode felt like it had a bit of an edge to it, that in between episodes had been smoothed out and rounded off, which left me feeling pretty indifferent overall. It really feels like one of the notes they were given after the pilot was for Drescher to dial it back a bit, and while she's still the best thing about the show, doesn't have the same energy she brought to the first episode. The biggest problem I had with the pilot was Charles Shaughnessy and he hasn't gotten any better, but was even more grating here due to the fact that this episode really zones in only on Fran, Maxwell, and Brighton, while every other character falls into the background, so he was much more central than he was last time. Brighton, played by Benjamin Sailsbury, was great in the first episode, but again it seems as if someone decided he needed to be toned down a bit in between episodes, and wasn't anywhere near as charming here. It's a very by the numbers sitcom episode as well, and although that usually wouldn't bother me, this was poorly executed. A couple of jokes and references landed very well for me though, and saved the episode from being a complete write off altogether, I just hope that this was a misstep and the third episode is a return to form, but I fear the series may have peaked in the pilot and that its all downhill from here.

Episode 3: "My Fair Nanny"
    Bounced back a bit here and was closer in tone to the first episode than the second. Shaughnessy seems to have relaxed into his role more and I didn't mind him as much here ; still not great, but I'm warming to him a bit. The My Fair Lady trope has been done to death in sitcoms over the years, and I don't mind as long as its executed well and it was decent enough here, but nothing amazing. There were a few decent laughs again, and Drescher is still very watchable, it would just be nice if she had a few equally funny people to bounce off of, but it was still more enjoyable than a lot of crap you'd find on TV.

Final Thoughts:
    It was interesting to revisit a show I presumed I would never watch again, and although the second and third episodes didn't hit home as well as the first one did, I'd be interested in having a gander at one or two of the highest rated episodes, especially beyond the first season, just out of curiosity, but probably won't be sitting down to re-watch the entire series or anything.

Necro wrote: »

I don't know what touch means. I don't want to derail too much so I'll fire up the laptop & see if I can view the tags. If not I'll figure it another time :pac:

I don't know what touch means. I don't want to derail too much so I'll fire up the laptop & see if I can view the tags. If not I'll figure it another time :pac:

Tap it with your finger

In 3rd with 12 points is
    the purple tin

Twin Peaks

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098936/
    IMDB wrote:
    An idiosyncratic FBI agent investigates the murder of a young woman in the even more idiosyncratic town of Twin Peaks.

38XX2gkl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 91.3%

There's so much to love about the pilot episode, it kicks off with the discovery of a dead body, so there's mystery and intrigue from the very start, dozens of characters are introduced and all of them seem to have some sort of secret, there's also a lot of secret relationships and affairs going on, which is very soapy and I love it. Its shot beautifully, especially all of the exterior shots of Twin Peaks and the area is almost utilised as a character in itself. The score is amazing and adds so much to the atmosphere, sets the mood, and heightens the melodrama throughout. With the amount of characters introduced, we really only get a handful of scenes with each of them despite the 90 minute runtime, and the first billed star of the show, Kyle MacLachlan, doesn't even appear until about 35 minutes in, but even only getting snippets of most of the characters they all make an impression and its clear that they're all well fleshed out characters that we'll learn more about as the show progresses. There's a good bit of quirkiness throughout, especially once Special Agent Dale Cooper (MacLachlan) shows up, and some great "what the f**k is that about" moments such as the Log Lady, and the random kid in the background doing the Zoidberg Dance across the hallway from his locker. Solid opening episode, and there's enough going on and plenty of intrigue to bring my back for the next episode.

Episode 2: "Traces To Nowhere"
    They definitely started to lean into the weirdness slightly more in this episode, with Cooper just being Cooper, more of the Log Lady, the fish in the coffee percilator, and Nadine banging on about her drapes, not to mention Dr. Jacobi's general oddness and how he fits into the whole mystery of Who Killed Laura Palmer... There's more intrigue introduced as well with Sarah seeing the man at the end of the bed, and the appearance of the one armed man. Not quite as strong as the Pilot, still very much laying the groundwork of who all the characters are, but still very enjoyable.

Episode 3: "Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer"
    Everything really clicked into place for me in this episode, and they just leaned completely into the absurd, as if someone at the network had been holding them back for the first episode and telling them to dial the weirdness down a few notches, and then here its as if the network execs just left David Lynch and Mark Frost to their own devices, figuring the show would either live or die on its quirkiness, so there was no point fighting it anymore. The actors are clearly also all getting comfortable with their characters by this stage as well and they're all just a joy to watch… well except for maybe James… James is a bore. The episode in general is a step up from the previous two, but the thing that really sets its apart is the introduction of "The Red Room" in Cooper's Dream, and then of course the hook at the end of Cooper revealing he knows who killed Laura Palmer, which naturally makes you want to dive right in to episode four.

Final Thoughts:
    So, I've seen Twin Peaks in its entirety before, as well as the more recent Twin Peaks: The Revival, and even though it has its share of problems at times, I am a big fan. I had actually only re-watched the original run, prior to The Revival, and wasn't planning to give it another run through anytime soon, but after that third episode I'm ready to get stuck back in once again. I'll have to wait until I finish this Walrus, but definitely gonna be diving in once again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Speaking of Anamaniacs I saw this recently on YT and it cracked me up :D

In 13th with 2 points is
    Necro

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103352/
    IMDB wrote:
    A group of kids get together in the woods, and tell ghost stories.

XNuLYGll.png

Episode 1 Rating: 2.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 4.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 43.3%

Episode 1: "The Tale of the Phantom Cab"
    This first episode was rough, and completely let down by two woeful "acting" performances. While the kids in The Midnight Society telling the stories all seem like talented actors, the two kids in the story itself, were so terrible it was hard to enjoy this tale, and I just kept hoping these two kids would die so I wouldn't have to watch them any longer. The tale itself was decent enough, and the premise of The Midnight Society is great, so it had all the right ingredients to be good, it just fell flat because of those two damn kids attempting to act, so hopefully the next episode will have a few more capable people playing the characters in the story.

Episode 2: "The Tale of Laughing in the Dark"
    This was much much better than the previous episode, had no problem with acting, so could just focus more on the story, which was actually pretty intense, and I'm not afraid of clowns, but I do find them creepy. Overall it's an enjoyable twenty minutes or so, but it's not quite grabbing me in the way I had hoped it would, and it has nothing to do with it being a kid's show, because there are loads of kids shows I think are top class, and even shows that are in a similar vein to this, like Round The Twist for example, prove that the shows can be made to a really high calibre that I just don't think this has managed to hit yet. It's good, just not at the same level as some of its peers.

Episode 3: "The Tale of the Lonely Ghost"
    The strongest story of the three episodes, decent enough fare overall, but again its just not drawing me in the way I wanted it to. Again, I spent a lot of time wondering if I was being too critical of it because it's a kids show and not meant to be held to the same standard, but then I think of all the other kids shows that are of an extremely high standard and this just isn't in the same league.

Final Thoughts:
    I did watch this when I was a kid, because I watched as much TV as I possibly could, but it was never a favourite of mine or one I looked back on with a huge amount of fondness, and when I think of kids shows that receive critical acclaim its because a lot of love and care went in from the creators and writers, where this felt a bit more like it fell into the "any old sh*t will do, it's only a kids show" side of things.

• Advertisement

In 2nd with 13 points is
    cee_jay

My So-Called Life

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108872/
    IMDB wrote:
    A 15-year-old girl and her trials and tribulations of being a teenager and dealing with friends, guys, parents, and school.

Rk4zzXRl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 93.3%

This has been recommended to me many times over the last few years and had been compared to Freaks and Geeks in its depection of teenagers, which sounded exactly like my sort of thing, but I had one issue that kept stopping me from watching it, the only thing I had seen Claire Danes in was Homeland and I really couldn't stand her, so it put me off giving My So-Called Life a chance. For the first few minutes of this Pilot, I wasn't crazy about her either, or anyone else for that matter because none of the characters seemed in any way endearing, but by the time the closing credits rolled I had warmed to everyone and completely invested in seeing where the show takes them all. I can see the comparisons to Freaks and Geeks too, as most of the characters are all a bit awkward in both shows, which makes them feel like real human beings unlike the perfect cardboard cut-out teen characters in other shows of the time. The main difference between Freaks and Geeks and this, is the former leans more on the comedic side of things, whereas My So-Called Life is a full on drama. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to episode two.

Episode 2: "Dancing In The Dark"
    Can't remember now why I ever disliked Claire Danes so much in Homeland, because after two episodes of this, she's completely won me over. Found all the stuff with the teens in this episode really endearing and relatable, just the apprehension Angela felt about friends from two different aspects of her life interacting and having to find a balance in herself, because she portrays herself in different ways with different people, felt like it was addressing me personally, because that's the sort of sh*t I think about all the time, but even moreso when I was at that age. I mentioned in the last episode how I enjoyed how awkward some the characters can be, and that was just as prevalent here, so I'm loving all that stuff. Aside from Angela, I think Rayanne and Ricky are absolutely fantastic characters and love whenever they're on-screen, and really liking Brian as well. I wasn't as interested in the parents and the ballroom dancing, but it tied together really nicely at the end, and I initially thought it was just a throwaway B Story to cut away from the teens, but ultimately it altered Patty and Graham's relationship, so served its purpose.

Episode 3: "Guns and Gossip"
    I thought this episode was pretty much flawless, there was so much to love about it and I felt it hit all the right notes. It was kind of surreal watching an episode about a gun going off in a school before a time when school shootings became a weekly occurrence in the States, because if the episode was made today it'd be very different. I should point out that the gun goes off accidentally, no one gets hurt and there's no real sense of danger, and the purpose of the episode isn't to highlight gun safety or school violence, it's essentially just a catalyst for the episode, so while the parents, teachers, and police take it seriously, the teens are all fairly non-chalant about the whole thing as its an isolated incident, a rare occurrence, and as mentioned in the episode teenagers for the most part think they're invincible, so it makes perfect sense that they wouldn't really give a **** (at least 25 years ago anyway, in today's world they'd be understandably panicked). Again, what I really like about the show in general, is that the characters feel real and act in a way people would in real life, and while the show is dealing with social issues, it's not doing it an a preachy or after-school-special kind of a way. The thing that I appreciate the most here though is that Brian and Ricky don't actually ever speak with each other in this episode (and haven't formed any sort of connection prior to this), yet by the end there's an unspoken bond and level of respect between them that is done so well, and I can't think of a lot of shows that could pull that off.

Final Thoughts:
    I'm glad I finally got the push needed to watch this, because I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series when this Walrus is done and dusted. I can definitely understand why certain people rave about how great this show is, because after only three episodes, I'm with them. Excellent pick for the category and a great discovery for me.

Tap it with your finger

It doesn't work on the tablet I don't know why.

I can view them on the laptop. I hate using the laptop though :rolleyes:

In last place with 1 point is
    Electric Nitwit

Wild Palms

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106175/
    IMDB wrote:
    A multi-national corporation attempts to take over America while small pockets of resistance hold out against rampant technology.

KQMJWezl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 1.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 2.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 0.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 15%

Episode 1: "Everything Must Go"
    What in the name of Twin Peaks meets Scientology by way of The Matrix was this mess? I was intrigued at the beginning, then I was mostly bored for the middle part, then I was both bored and confused, and then maybe I was a little bit intrigued again in the last few minutes. There were some really good actors in this that I did enjoy watching chew up the scenery ; in particular Bebe Neuwirth, Angie Dickinson, and Dana Delaney. I do also generally like Kim Cattrall, Ben Savage, Robert Loggia, David Warner, and Ernie Hudson even though their characters weren't particularly enjoyable, especially compared to Neuwirth, Dickson, or Delaney. And then there's Jim Belushi… playing the main character… look I think poor auld Jim gets an awful lot of stick, he's not as watchable as his brother, but he's not as bland as many people make him out to be… you know, I used to watch According To Jim back in the day (think it used to be on when I got home from school) and it was pretty good at the time. That said, I thought Jim Belushi was pretty bland here, and he's the one we're supposed to be most invested in and I just wasn't. It'd be great if the next episode switches gears and it turns into this amazing show, but I'm not holding my breath. There are the seeds of something good in this show, but it's unlikely any of them will come to fruition.

Episode 2: "The Floating World"
    This is all very convuluted, there's both too much and too little going on. There's a lot of story threads, and lots of mystery (that I personally don't care about) dangled, but none of it goes anywhere, and the whole episode once again just plods along and I have no reason to give a crap about any of these characters. There were a couple of interesting scenes, but it was mostly padded out with tedium. I'll rate it slightly higher than the first episode, because that was 90 minutes and this was only 45, so it was over sooner, even though it still felt far too long.

Episode 3: "Rising Sons"
    Have you ever been at a house party or gathering of any sort really, and got stuck talking to some absolute randomer, who's probably really clever and has six different PHD's, but they're so f**king boring, but you still have to be polite and listen to their bullsh*t because they're one of your best friend's relatives or something and if you just got up and walked away your friend would never speak to you ever again, so you just grin and bear it, hoping against hope that someone poisoned your whiskey so you'll drop dead any second and be put out of your misery, because anything would be better than listening to this f**ker a second longer… You've all experienced somebody like that right? Because this show is the TV equivalent of that ass-breath, and you don't think they're that bad in the beginning and you're clutching at things to like about whatever it is they're sh*teing on about, but now they're seven beers in and spouting absolute utter nonsense and even the stuff you found mildly interesting in the beginning is just so excrutiatingly painful that you start to seriously contemplate murdering another human being, and that's how I feel about this episode. It does play House of the Rising Sun for a minute or two at the end, so I'll give it a few pity points for that, I guess.

Final Thoughts:
    Nitwit, you know I love ya, and look you did say you haven't seen this in a donkey's age and don't remember any of the details, and we all look back at things through rose tinted glasses at times, but this was bad. And not even a good enjoyable kind of bad like The Room and all those other terrible B-Movies I absolutely adore, but a bad kind of bad that actually thinks its amazing but it's absolute rubbish like The Last Jedi or anything Zack Snyder (throwback to LeVar Goes To The Movies there for my long-term fans) ever made… I hate ending on a negative note though, so to touch on a positive, it is better than anything Creedance Clearwater Revival (you can't say I don't give the fanbase the classic LeVar-isms they love to hear) have ever done…

In 1st with 14 points is
    ShaneU

Early Edition

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115163/
    IMDB wrote:
    His name is Gary Hobson. He gets tomorrow's newspaper today. He doesn't know how. He doesn't know why. All he knows is when the early edition hits his doorstep, he has twenty-four hours to set things right.

HTnVExWl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 94%

This is the type of batsh*t crazy '90s series that I absolutely love, and I'd never even heard of this one, but it was fantastic, and I loved it. I like to imagine how the pitch for this one went…
    • Network Executive: So what's the show?
    • Coked-Up Writer: Well, there's this guy, a regular Joe soap, played by someone incredibly likeable like Kyle Chandler, and everyday he gets this magic newspaper that lets him see 24 hours into the future and he uses that information to go around Chicago trying to change things for the better.
    • Network Executive: Em, okay, where does he get this magic future predicting newspaper from?
    • Coked-Up Writer: A cat brings it to him.
    • Network Executive: Is it a magic cat?
    • Coked-Up Writer: Unclear, I was thinking it would just seem like a regular cat.
    • Network Executive: Right, and who else would be in this show aside from a Kyle Chandler type, and a cat who may or may not have magical abilities?
    • Coked-Up Writer: He's got these two sidekicks, one of them is a blind girl he knows from work, and the other is his weird and weasley best friend. I was picturing Fischer Stevens for the best friend.
    • Network Executive: We can probably get Fischer Stevens, and Kyle Chandler for that matter.
    • Coked-Up Writer: So you're interested?
    • Network Executive ***doing a line of coke***: Oh yeah, it sounds f**king epic, let's do four seasons of that sh*t.

Episode 2: "The Choice"
    Thought this was another really strong episode, exploring that age old ethical question, do you sacrifice one life to save multiple lives, especially with the twist to the story in the end. This show is an absolute blast, if that wasn't already made clear from my "Pitch Meeting" - it can go from being feel good and funny, to having great big dramatic moments and genuine jeopardy. Fisher Stevens and Shanésia Davis-Williams make for great sidekicks, but its Kyle Chandler who makes the show as enjoyable as it is. It also seems based on the first two that some episode will lean more into the drama while other will have a lighter more comedic tone, which is great because you'll never know what you're going to get. Looking forward to the next one already.

Episode 3: "Baby"
    Not quite as strong as the first two episodes, but still pretty damn enjoyable overall. The stakes weren't quite as high here as it was more comedy based, but I think they should've leaned into the comedy a bit more to compensate for the lack of jeopardy. It's only a minor criticism though, because it's still a joy to watch, so even if it's not hitting the same highs as the first two episodes every week, the basic premise still works, and the cast are charming enough to make it all gel together will regardless.

Final Thoughts:
    Will definitely be watching the rest of these once I've ranked and rated all of the TV shows I have to rank and rate, it's a fun and easy watch and it’s the show I never realised I needed in my life, can see myself urging others to check it out too ; starting with the rest of you lot reading this, there are a lot of great shows in this category and I recommend quite a few of them, but if you're only going to watch one, let it be this one.

Shane starts off atop the leaderboard, but with 7 more regular rounds, and 2 mystery bonus rounds yet to go, it's a long way to the win, and everyone is in the running.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    ShaneU 14 14
    cee_jay 13 13
    the purple tin 12 12
    JP Liz V1 11 11
    Alfred Borden 10 10
    Sawduck 9 9
    aaronjennings 8 8
    JohnGreenFan 7 7
    Davis Wrong Tweed 7 7
    SineadSpears 5 5
    Kolido 4 4
    Irish Aris 3 3
    Necro 2 2
    Electric Nitwit 1 1

That's all the fun for this evening, hope you all enjoyed the Premiere Night Reveal and got some new suggestions or were reminded of some old favourites! Some great shows, and its been a lot of fun judging the entire Walrus, but '90s was a great round to ease me into it, I must say.

Unless something unexpected happens, the plan is to do the Round 2 reveal tomorrow evening, probably at the same time, but same as with today, I'll confirm tomorrow afternoon the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Haven't watched that show in 20 years. All I remember is loving the magic cat. I think he'd show up just before someone would fall off a ladder or something like that? It was a crazy show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Thanks LeVar, enjoyed that. Completely forgot about Eaely Edition, I used to watch that every week.
    Re: My So Called Life - I almost nominated Freaks and Geeks - both brilliant shows imo which were cancelled way too early. My So Called Life was unmissable TV when I was a teenager, and so relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Wow some amount of hours go into a substantial Walrus! :eek:

Some great recommendations in there including a show I've seen but forgotten, a show I've heard of and keep meaning to watch but haven't, and one I've never heard of and really want to watch!

Cheers :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    Haven't watched that show in 20 years. All I remember is loving the magic cat. I think he'd show up just before someone would fall off a ladder or something like that? It was a crazy show

It was a delight, I had no idea what to expect going in to it, and it really was a lot of fun. Great choice.

• Advertisement

cee_jay wrote: »
    Thanks LeVar, enjoyed that. Completely forgot about Eaely Edition, I used to watch that every week.
    Re: My So Called Life - I almost nominated Freaks and Geeks - both brilliant shows imo which were cancelled way too early. My So Called Life was unmissable TV when I was a teenager, and so relatable.

I'm glad you went with My So-Called Life anyway. Freaks and Geeks would've done just as well, but as I've seen that dozens of times, it was nice to check out the one I hadn't seen before.

Advertisement