Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I've never even heard of half of those shows

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ari101 wrote: »
    Wow some amount of hours go into a substantial Walrus! :eek:

Some great recommendations in there including a show I've seen but forgotten, a show I've heard of and keep meaning to watch but haven't, and one I've never heard of and really want to watch!

Cheers :D

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sure I'm not up to much else these days being stuck in the gaff, so the amount of hours that went in were a welcome distraction. January absolutely flew by for me.

It's also fun hosting Walruses and discovering new (or old) favourites. I even enjoy the bad ones because I get to let loose and spit some harsh truths (sorry about that EN, ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal leVar, loved the writeups. Congrat Shane, that show has been on my watchlist for years, must get around to checking it out.
    I know you put wild palms last, never heard of it but the premise sounds interesting.
    Regarding my own pick, I've not watched it in years, probably hasn't aged well.

Your final thoughts on ElectricNitwits was funny even though he got some stick for it :pac:

I'm sure we'll all have a nom or two that will get the same reception :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some great picks there. the 90s had some excellent TV shows.
    I'm a bit suprised nobody picked the X-Files or Seinfeld. I was considering them too but whereas they take a while to hit their stride, Twin Peaks starts off really strong; one the best pilots ever for my money (I thought one or two other people would have picked it as well).

• Advertisement

That Pitch Meeting I did for the first episode of Early Edition will be a recurring feature of the Walrus, and will make an appearance once per round.

It wasn't intended to be, I just ended up doing it for the first three rounds, and then I figured it was a gimmick I'd better stick to in case people liked it (always give the fans what they want, and if it turns out they don't want it, keep doing it anyway and maybe it'll grow on them like a fungus :D), so I kind of cornered myself into it, even though I got a bit fed-up doing them myself by the end to be honest.

giphy.gif

Kolido wrote: »
    Great reveal leVar, loved the writeups. Congrat Shane, that show has been on my watchlist for years, must get around to checking it out.
    I know you put wild palms last, never heard of it but the premise sounds interesting.
    Regarding my own pick, I've not watched it in years, probably hasn't aged well.

I think Beverly Hills just has a really awful pilot in fairness to it, and that was just unfortunate. It definitely picks up a bit more from Season 2 onwards if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Haven't thought about BH 90210 in ages. Didn't Tori Spelling get a part in it just because her da was the producer?
    I used to have a crush on Shannon Doherty back in the day :)

Your final thoughts on ElectricNitwits was funny even though he got some stick for it :pac:

I'm sure we'll all have a nom or two that will get the same reception :D

I just went and read that back now as I forgot what I had written... :D

Yeah, any bad reviews I write are all meant to be in good fun, and sometimes I go on a rant for the craic, so please nobody take offense to any of the crap I spout out about some of the shows.

I'm pretty much just doing a copy and paste job on stuff I wrote over a month ago (although that said, I wrote notes for the last of the final round yesterday afternoon and I can't remember even the gist of them, so the fact it was a month ago makes zero difference)

Some great picks there. the 90s had some excellent TV shows.
    I'm a bit suprised nobody picked the X-Files or Seinfeld. I was considering them too but whereas they take a while to hit their stride, Twin Peaks starts off really strong; one the best pilots ever for my money (I thought one or two other people would have picked it as well).

I actually expected a lot of people to pick Twin Peaks too, for diversity's sake I'm glad they didn't. I love Seinfeld, early eps are a bit rough, but it probably would've done alright overall. X-Files makes an appearance at another point in the game, so I'll keep my thoughts on whether or not I liked that under wraps until the time comes.
    Haven't thought about BH 90210 in ages. Didn't Tori Spelling get a part in it just because her da was the producer?
    I used to have a crush on Shannon Doherty back in the day :)

It was her uncle, and it's so obvious in the early episodes that she's only there because of nepotism, but she's actually grand later on when they start giving her stuff to do.

• Advertisement

Wow some amount of hours go into a substantial Walrus! :eek:

Some great recommendations in there including a show I've seen but forgotten, a show I've heard of and keep meaning to watch but haven't, and one I've never heard of and really want to watch!

Cheers :D

Forgot to ask, which was which?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 2.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 4.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 43.3%
    [/CENTER]

Final Thoughts:
    I did watch this when I was a kid, because I watched as much TV as I possibly could, but it was never a favourite of mine or one I looked back on with a huge amount of fondness, and when I think of kids shows that receive critical acclaim its because a lot of love and care went in from the creators and writers, where this felt a bit more like it fell into the "any old sh*t will do, it's only a kids show" side of things.

tumblr_m4qzriDP4Q1r7eveq.gif

:( Got called away to do things elsewhere there. I did say in my PM I think I was worried on how well it had aged.

I loved it though growing up so wanted to enter it here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

...this was bad. And not even a good enjoyable kind of bad like The Room and all those other terrible B-Movies I absolutely adore, but a bad kind of bad that actually thinks its amazing but it's absolute rubbish
    BlankSadGhostshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Ummm... yeah, sorry about that :o
    Genuinely remember loving this, though it has been a while! Couldn't think of much else from the 90s that wasn't really obvious (I mean, I have since...! This Life and The Crow Road in particular). Didn't watch much back then as I was a kid with my mum at the start of the 90s, and a poor, TV-less student by the end of the decade.

Sorry the first episode was 90mins too, forgot that and I wouldn't have submitted that had I remembered!

Anyway, onwards and upwards, what did I say about my next pick...? "...the production is terrible, it was far too low budget...", oh shït :D

Necro wrote: »
    :( Got called away to do things elsewhere there. I did say in my PM I think I was worried on how well it had aged.

I loved it though growing up so wanted to enter it here :D

I was really hoping it would be good, but it just didn't work too well for me ultimately. It still did pretty well though. A 43.3% total, isn't the worst.

All shows throughout the Walrus are judged on the same scale (which is essentially a scale based on my own enjoyment of each episode ; the most critically acclaimed show in the world could end up with 2% if I personally thought it was sh*te), and at the very end after the winner is announced, I'll post a full list of all 104 shows ranked in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Forgot to ask, which was which?

Probably should have said myself :D

a show I've seen but forgotten - Early Edition
    a show I've heard of and keep meaning to watch but haven't - Twin Peaks
    one I've never heard of and really want to watch - Picket Fences (it was the description of the scene in episode 2 that had me in stitches)

I should also mention - I probably need to rewatch My So Called Life, it was great when I saw it but I was a tad on the young side :eek: :D

BlankSadGhostshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Ummm... yeah, sorry about that :o
    Genuinely remember loving this, though it has been a while! Couldn't think of much else from the 90s that wasn't really obvious (I mean, I have since...! This Life and The Crow Road in particular). Didn't watch much back then as I was a kid with my mum at the start of the 90s, and a poor, TV-less student by the end of the decade.

Sorry the first episode was 90mins too, forgot that and I wouldn't have submitted that had I remembered!

Anyway, onwards and upwards, what did I say about my next pick...? "...the production is terrible, it was far too low budget...", oh shït :D

Actually more than a few shows submitted had 90 minute pilots, so it was grand from that perspective, that didn't bother me, it only worked against a show when I wasn't enjoying it.

If it makes you feel better, Wild Palms isn't even the lowest rated show in the tournament... it'd be awful luck if you also had the one that rated lower than it though, and I can neither confirm nor deny that for the sake of the game, so maybe that doesn't help actually...

Look, I'm sure a couple of heads around here will watch Wild Palms and love it, just wasn't for me, but I hope you enjoyed the review of it regardless... :D

Probably should have said myself :D

a show I've seen but forgotten - Early Edition
    a show I've heard of and keep meaning to watch but haven't - Twin Peaks
    one I've never heard of and really want to watch - Picket Fences (it was the description of the scene in episode 2 that had me in stitches)

I should also mention - I probably need to rewatch My So Called Life, it was great when I saw it but I was a tad on the young side :eek: :D

I really need to go back and read all these reviews in full (might wait until next week after I've done all the reveals, and read back through everything - after it's too late for me to go back and edit out spelling errors and the like, because I don't want to be starting that jazz now) ; just read back on that one there and I had another chuckle at how amazing that scene was.

Yeah, any bad reviews I write are all meant to be in good fun, and sometimes I go on a rant for the craic, so please nobody take offense to any of the crap I spout out about some of the shows.

I always take your rants as just a bit of craic. So I doubt I'll ever take any offence if anything ever comes my way :pac:

I always take your rants as just a bit of craic. So I doubt I'll ever take any offence if anything ever comes my way :pac:

You say that now, but EN is also someone who is aware my rants are only a bit of craic, and this is actual footage of him right now... :pac:

giphy.gif

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Only in the door now from a walk, going to have to catch up later on

Preliminarily happy with mid-table

You say that now, but EN is also someone who is aware my rants are only a bit of craic, and this is actual footage of him right now... :pac:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Nah look, I'm thick skinned enough to take it and stubborn enough to know it's you that's wrong :D
    I don't care at all in short form walruses, when it's just a song, but I feel bad when it's three fecking hours that you hated. Obviously I have my own way of playing these and I enjoy them regardless, but I never want to be spoiling someone else's fun like that. Luckily I know i make it up to you in future rounds ;)

It just sitting down now to read the others, only had half an eye on the reveal earlier

giphy.gif

Nah look, I'm thick skinned enough to take it and stubborn enough to know it's you that's wrong :D
    I don't care at all in short form walruses, when it's just a song, but I feel bad when it's three fecking hours that you hated. Obviously I have my own way of playing these and I enjoy them regardless, but I never want to be spoiling someone else's fun like that. Luckily I know i make it up to you in future rounds ;)

It just sitting down now to read the others, only had half an eye on the reveal earlier

There's a bit of joy and fun in hate watching something ; sitting there wondering what kind of sociopath* enjoyed this thing enough to submit it for review in a Walrus, definitely gives me some sense of it all being worthwhile. :D

*joking

In 5th with 10 points is
    Alfred Borden

Batman: The Animated Series

Final Thoughts:
    Batman: The Animated Series is one of those childhood shows that holds up even better than you remember when watching it as an adult, and is something I've dipped in and out of over the years, watching the odd episode here and there. I do think this is as a good as time as any to do a full re-watch, because there's some absolute gems in there, like On Leather Wings and Heart of Ice.
    I've never seen this but only ever heard great things about it, must seek it out
    In 4th with 11 points is
    JP Liz V1

Picket Fences

Final Thoughts:
    Third episode mis-step aside, the first two episodes garnered enough good will with me to keep watching more Picket Fences going forward. It's weird and the characters are likeable enough to draw my interest, so I'm on board through the highs and the lows, and this series was a great discovery.
    Never heard of this, but it sounds right up my street! :)

As a side note, why is so hard to find some of these things. There's so many streaming services nowadays, why isn't everything out there, easy to find? (legitimately)

There's a bit of joy and fun in hate watching something ; sitting there wondering what kind of sociopath* enjoyed this thing enough to submit it for review in a Walrus, definitely gives me some sense of it all being worthwhile. :D

*joking

You think you're joking...

I've never seen this but only ever heard great things about it, must seek it out

Never heard of this, but it sounds right up my street! :)

As a side note, why is so hard to find some of these things. There's so many streaming services nowadays, why isn't everything out there, easy to find? (legitimately)

Yeah, you'd think nearly everything could be sourced on one of the big four Netflix, Amazon, Disney, or Sky, but I needed to go "elsewhere" for probably 60% or more of all the shows in the Walrus (not that I minded)

]

I don't care at all in short form walruses, when it's just a song, but I feel bad when it's three fecking hours that you hated. Obviously I have my own way of playing these and I enjoy them regardless, but I never want to be spoiling someone else's fun like that.

Its interesting that you've said that because I felt the same about some of mine after nominating them. Thinking God love him having to sit through some of them :o. Even though they are all shows I like.

I think there is probably one that I imagine he'd like, & I'd be surprised if he didn't like it. The rest, I'm not feeling very hopeful about :D

You think you're joking...

Maybe I want you to think that I think that I'm joking. ;)

I think there is probably one that I imagine he'd like, & I'd be surprised if he didn't like it. The rest, I'm not feeling very hopeful about :D
    Whereas I still assume I'm going to win :pac:

• Advertisement

Whereas I still assume I'm going to win :pac:

Well someone has to win.

Advertisement