Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yeah, you'd think nearly everything could be sourced on one of the big four Netflix, Amazon, Disney, or Sky, but I needed to go "elsewhere" for probably 60% or more of all the shows in the Walrus (not that I minded)

I watched a kolrus nominated movie tonight on an Austrailian ad supported streaming site. The things we do for FGamers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, you'd think nearly everything could be sourced on one of the big four Netflix, Amazon, Disney, or Sky, but I needed to go "elsewhere" for probably 60% or more of all the shows in the Walrus (not that I minded)

Already running into some troubles in that fashion as I'm trying to source my own shows. Some, no problem but others... we'll work it eventually :D

Kolido wrote: »
    I watched a kolrus nominated movie tonight on an Austrailian ad supported streaming site. The things we do for FGamers.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Already running into some troubles in that fashion as I'm trying to source my own shows. Some, no problem but others... we'll work it eventually :D
    I presume you know, but just in case, https://www.justwatch.com/ie lists the legit sources. You can set it to any country, if you have a vpn to watch through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Used to love Animaniacs when I was a kid. Having seen some clips of it as an adult, there are definitley some that you wouldn't get away with nowadays. Ooh, nurse! Recently rebooted by Hulu as well, haven't heard anything about how good or bad it may be, though

Everyone watched Fresh Prince, though I must admit, I wasn't as in to it as it seems the whole population of Earth seems to revere it as one of the best shows ever. Maybe I'd think differently if I have it a second look

Father Ted will always be the greatest export of Ireland, I don't care what you say :D

Surprisingly, I haven't seen much of Batman The Animated Series. From what I've heard it seems to holp up pretty well even today, but as a kid I only watched it if it happened to be on, I never made an active effort to see it

Picket Fences I've heard of but didn't know anything about, Early Edition I'd never even heard of, but both sound the most interesting of the shows that I haven't seen in this round

• Advertisement

I presume you know, but just in case, https://www.justwatch.com/ie lists the legit sources. You can set it to any country, if you have a vpn to watch through

Thats what I use also. I have access to about 20 netflix libaries but some movies are dificult to source legally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Picket Fences I've heard of but didn't know anything about, Early Edition I'd never even heard of, but both sound the most interesting of the shows that I haven't seen in this round

Given I didn't know what to expect from either, they were both a lot if fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Also sorry to derail a bit, but how do you read those spoilers? I use a tablet & can't read them. I've a laptop here but I use the tablet because its less bulky

For anyone else who's a bit on the simple side like me, & who's using a tablet - it doesn't work when you tap the tag, & it doesn't work when you dbl click. But it does work if you hold over the tag! :o

You wouldn't believe the amount of different times I've been tapping those bloody things wondering why I can't view them :rolleyes:

It's been (accidently)figured out now so all is well in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Going for Round 2, Adapted for Television, at 7pm again this evening

Here's one I might have picked myself for this category...

Parenthood

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416765/
    IMDB wrote:
    The lives and tragedies of the Braverman family tree.

GpPnhGbl.jpg

Adapted from the film of the same name, this was easily one of my favourite shows of the early 2010s, stayed up every week to watch the episodes as they aired in the US, and was even part of a fan club - we had a drinking game for it, the main rule being downing your drink if the show makes you cry (which happened nearly every episode, be they happy tears or sad ones)

Decided to check a review of my submission today and the first one I read liked it, phew :p

Edited to be spoiler free...

Visually, xxxxxx has dated a little, not least because it was lit for film but shot on video, the budget running out before a planned "filmising" in post production. So the show occasionally has the feel of a weird EastEnders omnibus. But xxxxxx's ideas, fizzing energy and weird characters more than compensate, with yyyyyy's atonal score adding to the delightfully queasy vibe

• Advertisement

Decided to check a review of my submission today and the first one I read liked it, phew :p

Edited to be spoiler free...

Visually, xxxxxx has dated a little, not least because it was lit for film but shot on video, the budget running out before a planned "filmising" in post production. So the show occasionally has the feel of a weird EastEnders omnibus. But xxxxxx's ideas, fizzing energy and weird characters more than compensate, with yyyyyy's atonal score adding to the delightfully queasy vibe

Now if only I was known for agreeing with other people's opinions in these games and not making controversial decisions at times, that might actually mean something... ;)

I'm not sure how this one is gonna go down with our host. I really like it and actually think the first few episodes are probably the strongest but at the same time if you've read the book.....yeah this could go either way

Now if only I was known for agreeing with other people's opinions in these games and not making controversial decisions at times, that might actually mean something... ;)
    Oh no, just nice to know I'm not completely out on my own if you're wrong again :D

Oh no, just nice to know I'm not completely out on my own if you're wrong again :D

Fair enough.

How were the reviews for Wild Palms?

Necro wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this one is gonna go down with our host. I really like it and actually think the first few episodes are probably the strongest but at the same time if you've read the book.....yeah this could go either way

We'll find out in a few hours... ;)

What I will say about tonight's round is that the overall standard is pretty high, lots of high final averages...

Even the person in last place in this round has the highest average for last place of the entire game.

Fair enough.

How were the reviews for Wild Palms?
    I did actually read a few last night and generally they're pretty good. They do say it's disjointed and that the narrative is poorly constructed but praised the overall style, particularly the visual style. I read the phrase "cult classic" a lot which is always shorthand for "a lot of people won't like this" :p

"Cult Classic" is also very often a sign that I'll like it :D

I did actually read a few last night and generally they're pretty good. They do say it's disjointed and that the narrative is poorly constructed but praised the overall style, particularly the visual style. I read the phrase "cult classic" a lot which is always shorthand for "a lot of people won't like this" :p

"Cult Classic" is also very often a sign that I'll like it :D

Depends on the Cult though... :pac:

Scientology ; no thanks, jog on

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster ; I'm a fully pledged Pastafarian...

...and here's a song about Pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'm blanking on my entry. Need to do some crosswords or sodoku or something :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell you this in my submission, but I was hoping if you hadn't seen this show before, that a certain surprise cameo appearance in the first episode might swing things in it's favour

• Advertisement

I couldn't tell you this in my submission, but I was hoping if you hadn't seen this show before, that a certain surprise cameo appearance in the first episode might swing things in it's favour
    tenor.gif?itemid=16132700
    :D

Did I notice a cameo appearance and mention it in my write-up?

***Check Notes***

Yep

Did that swing things in your favour?

***Grins Smugly***

TBD

;)

LeVar has cameo in it?

Kolido wrote: »
    LeVar has cameo in it?

No, that would've been awesome.

Sadly LeVar Burton made 0 appearances anywhere in the Walrus.

Btw, you obviously had the same nomination from two people in the last round, did you have any duplicates that were nominated in different categories?

Or is that a secret? ;)

Btw, you obviously had the same nomination from two people in the last round, did you have any duplicates that were nominated in different categories?

Or is that a secret? ;)

There is 1 that was picked that appears in 2 categories, but it has yet to appear for the first time.

Almost got ahead of myself there, opened the Round 3 document and almost didn't notice that I was about to start revealing the wrong round... :pac:

Anyway, ready to start now (a few minutes early), no duplicates this round so 14 unique positions, kicking off with 8th place, coming up in just a couple of minutes...

Plenty of very high ratings in this round by the way, so expect shows with high overall ratings in lower positions than yesterday

In 8th with 7 points is
    Sawduck

What We Do In The Shadows

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7908628/
    IMDB wrote:
    A look into the daily (or rather, nightly) lives of three vampires, who've lived together for over 100 years, on Staten Island.

S12Vbxll.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 8.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 92.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Enjoyable pilot episode, some solid jokes, introduces all of the characters, establishes the premise and sets up a few arcs. If anything they may have tried to cram a bit too much in with the introduction of the Baron and "Gregor" and the LARPers ; could've potentially left a lot of that until episode two and just focused on the five main characters here, and more interactions with them all together and bickering amongst themselves, as those are the best scenes. It's just a minor quibble, because I still really liked the episode, just would've preferred if they'd let the series regulars breathe a bit more before introducing all the other elements.

Episode 2: "City Council"
    Obviously a bit of time passed between the filming of the pilot and this second episode as can be determined by the length of Matt Berry's hair, but in that time everyone seems to have worked out their characters a bit more and everything feels a bit tighter and more natural (or supernatural might be a better word given the show's concept). There was more house meetings and interactions between the core characters here which is what I wanted and those were all great, as was the sub-plot with Nadja and Jenna. The scenes at the City Council itself were a bit 'meh', but it allowed for Nandor talking to Doug Peterson through the ether and Laszlo's attempts to win over Barbara Lazarro which were really enjoyable too. Love all the actors, love the mockumentary format, and love the humour, and just seeing the title of the episode three has my expectations high that it will really hit its full potential in the next one, if memory serves.

Episode 3: "Werewolf Feud"
    Ah yes this episode, this was the one that when I first watched it, I knew What We Do In The Shadows was going to be one of my new favourite shows. It has quite a few episodes like this that just hit all the right notes, is absurdly hilarious and everyone is used to their full potential. The main plot with the Werewolves is fantastic, but the B story with Colin Robinson is equally as good. I think it works so well because it doesn't try to shoehorn in any of the season long stuff involving the Baron, or Gregor, or Jenna (not that any of those plots don't have their moments), and is just a great stand-alone episode.

Final Thoughts:
    This is one of those sitcoms that I'm just going to watch over and over for years to come because I love the characters so much. I loved the film, but the show far surpasses it, because the core characters are just amazing. When I saw everyone's choices initially before I started watching anything, I thought this one would be right up the top, but there is some absolute crackers in this round and there's a bottleneck of pure quality from this and upwards, I mean it's got an episode that scored a perfect 10 and has an overall rating of 92.3% and is smack bang in the middle of the pack, which says a lot about this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

What we do in the Shadows, is it a comedy?

• Advertisement

What we do in the Shadows, is it a comedy?

Yes

Advertisement