Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oh I seen Death Note movie though. Didn't know there was an aminated show :)
    I actually haven't watched the movie because I hadn't finished the show, but it's supposed to be terrible. The show is class.

I have seen the film and I found it very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 13th with 2 points is
    Kolido

The Walking Dead

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/

qH3YOscl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 7.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 73.3%

Episode 1: "Days Gone Bye"
    A fairly solid opening episode, in the sense I really enjoyed the framing of the story and the pacing of the episode and think it does a great job at setting the tone of the series. What I'm less keen on is the characters. I found them all very one-dimensional, and when I say all, we really only spend any significant time here with Rick, Morgan, Duane, and to a lesser extent Shane, with only a brief glimpse at some of the other characters. None of them have any character traits, aside from the fact that they're very "Southern" if that can count as a personality trait, and I really don't have any investment in any of them. We follow Rick and he's the main character, so I guess we're supposed to care about him, but I would've been fine if he died towards the episode, and we pan away from his body to reveal a new main character who oozes charisma, Rick having served his purpose of quickly introducing us to this world. Its not that I need to love the characters from the very start, but I want to see some potential there or at the very least want to root for them, but the four I've mentioned are personality vacuums, which is a shame because Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James, and Jon Bernthal are usually all very charming and likeable actors. There was enough to like about the episode to forgive all that to a certain degree, I've already mentioned the pacing and the special effects and walker make-up is superb, but I'm someone who likes well written and enjoyable characters, so hoping we get a few in the next episode.

Episode 2: "Guts"
    There was the guts (as always, pun intended) of a good episode here, it started well, and it had the potential to be a lot of fun, but aside from a stand-out performance from the always wonderful Michael Rooker, it was a bit of a mess. After the last episode I was hoping for the introduction of some likeable characters with a bit of personality, and while several characters were introduced, most of them were duller than Rick. Steven Yeun brings a bit of colour to Glenn before quickly having the personality dragged out of him by doing too many scenes with Rick and the sh*t character brigade. Not only are they incredibly dull, some of them are just terrible actors, Irone Singleton being the worst offenders as T-Dog , and it was actually a struggle to watch at times because he was so painfully bad ; as much as I don't care for Rick, Morgan, and Shane as characters, at least the quality of acting in the first episode was high. Don't even get me started on the whole Lori and Shane affair by the way, I love a bit of that sort of drama usually, but it's done so badly, I just want them both to die right now so I don't have to watch anymore ; and I like Sarah Wayne Callies and Jon Bernthal as actors, the characters just suck. Michael Rooker though, plays a great antagonist in Merle, and single-handedly stops me from absolutely slating this episode. I've actually watched 8 or 9 seasons of this show, and honestly I'm just amazed I ever stuck with it beyond this episode.

Episode 3: "Tell It To The Frogs"
    Huge improvement after the absolute disaster that was the last episode. Everyone was a lot more bearable, and most of the characters had moments I really liked, started warming to most of them, even Shane and Laurie. There was a great moral dilemna in the episode, the characters had a lot more time to breathe and develop some personality, the first appearance of Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon (I think he's overrated in terms of the later seasons, but he's definitely a stand-out here), and the bad acting from Irone Singleton was, well I won't say good, but far less bad here. The big family reunion scene early managed to work for me, even though it came far too early in the season, and probably doesn't deserve the credit, but it tugged at my cold dead heartstrings all the same. This episode reminded me why I stuck with the show as long as I did when I first watched it.

Final Thoughts:
    I was a big fan of The Walking Dead graphic novels, and despite its problems, I was a big fan of the show too, up until a certain point, and I honestly never intended to re-visit either, but after that third episode I really want to go back and re-read the graphic novels and then sit down and watch the show again from this point, and see it through past the point I stopped at previously, and watch all the way through to the end, because I think watching it as more of a binge than on a week-to-week basis will spur me through the rough patches.

The opening episode of The Walking Dead is one of the best, the show went a bit off the cliff in later seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 1st with 14 points is
    Deleted User

Mindhunter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/
    IMDB wrote:
    Set in the late 1970s, two FBI agents are tasked with interviewing serial killers to solve open cases.

6VHo2G8l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 98.6%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    This was another that I had been meaning to check out, but hadn't quite gotten around to yet. I've a fair interest in psychology and what makes people tick, throw murderers and serial killers in on top of that, and it's a show I can easily become invested in. Jonathan Groff is really great in the lead role as Holden and is easy to root for as a protagonist. Still not entirely sure where the show is going or what the overall structure is going to be, but I'm in for the ride and looking forward to finding out. This first episode did more than enough to reel me in and I'm hoping the next two episodes will capitalize on that and blow me away even more. A strong opener which left me wanting more. Really really liked it.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    A perfect episode of television. It's so well written, it's funny, it's intriguing, the soundtrack is class, and the actors are all brilliant. I had to look up and see who played Ed Kemper because I enjoyed his performance so much, only to see that it's Cameron Britton, the same guy who plays Hazel in The Umbrella Academy ; I didn't even recognise him in this, so that's a win for costume and make-up department and impressive given the guy's stature to make him that unrecognisable with only a pair of glasses and dodgy hairdo (I can see why no one can put two and two together to figure out that Clark Kent is Superman now), and it also says a lot about his range as an actor considering I only watched The Umbrella Academy recently, so he's pretty fresh in my memory from that, but such a different performance here. I really didn't want this episode to end, and had to stop myself from jumping straight in to the next one right away.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    Another absolutely flawless episode. I'm well and truly hooked now if I wasn't already. I was so invested that the episode flew by so fast, I was annoyed that it ended so soon. I could easily sit and watch the rest of Season 1 in one sitting, but I'll be patient and wait until after this game is said and done. I haven't mentioned the great dynamic and chemistry between Holden and Tench, or the absurdity of Holden and Debbie's relationship before now, but both are great in their own right and just another reason to love the show on top of the psychology and serial killerness of it all.

Final Thoughts:
    I think it's obvious I'll be watching the rest of this immediately as soon as I allow myself to watch beyond the first three episodes of any of these shows. Great show, great choice, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Haha that pitch was class, well played leVar.

Surprise at the contrast in the rating between epi1 and the other 2. Pilots should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Another great reveal LeVar, some going. Well played 2D I have heard that show is pretty good.

Bad day at the office for me. I really liked the walking dwad pilot episode, its what got ne hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Luckily I know i make it up to you in future rounds ;)
    In 2nd with 13 points is Electric Nitwit

Neverwhere

Final Thoughts:
    Glad that something has finally given me the kick up the arse to go read the book, and then once I've done that, I'm going to circle back and watch all six episodes of this in its entirety. For a category full of flashy shows with big budgets, something like this doing so well, proves that the most important thing is to tell a good and engaging story with likeable characters and you don't need to spend millions to produce something like that.

Told you ;)
    Delighted that you liked it. I was a little concerned by the low budget because it does look terrible at times but I loved it so much as a show.

Hardly seen any of the others but I did love Mindhunter, a very worthy winner. So gutted it's been canned before its time.

Death Note is probably top of my list to go check out now - I kind of know I'll love anime stuff but never really know where to start, this seems like a good place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I didn't nominate Mindhunter but I absolutely loved the show. The things I would do to Holden Ford if he let me :eek:

giphy.gif

A great day for the parish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 1st with 14 points is
    Deleted User

Mindhunter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/

6VHo2G8l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 98.6%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    This was another that I had been meaning to check out, but hadn't quite gotten around to yet. I've a fair interest in psychology and what makes people tick, throw murderers and serial killers in on top of that, and it's a show I can easily become invested in. Jonathan Groff is really great in the lead role as Holden and is easy to root for as a protagonist. Still not entirely sure where the show is going or what the overall structure is going to be, but I'm in for the ride and looking forward to finding out. This first episode did more than enough to reel me in and I'm hoping the next two episodes will capitalize on that and blow me away even more. A strong opener which left me wanting more. Really really liked it.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    A perfect episode of television. It's so well written, it's funny, it's intriguing, the soundtrack is class, and the actors are all brilliant. I had to look up and see who played Ed Kemper because I enjoyed his performance so much, only to see that it's Cameron Britton, the same guy who plays Hazel in The Umbrella Academy ; I didn't even recognise him in this, so that's a win for costume and make-up department and impressive given the guy's stature to make him that unrecognisable with only a pair of glasses and dodgy hairdo (I can see why no one can put two and two together to figure out that Clark Kent is Superman now), and it also says a lot about his range as an actor considering I only watched The Umbrella Academy recently, so he's pretty fresh in my memory from that, but such a different performance here. I really didn't want this episode to end, and had to stop myself from jumping straight in to the next one right away.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    Another absolutely flawless episode. I'm well and truly hooked now if I wasn't already. I was so invested that the episode flew by so fast, I was annoyed that it ended so soon. I could easily sit and watch the rest of Season 1 in one sitting, but I'll be patient and wait until after this game is said and done. I haven't mentioned the great dynamic and chemistry between Holden and Tench, or the absurdity of Holden and Debbie's relationship before now, but both are great in their own right and just another reason to love the show on top of the psychology and serial killerness of it all.

Final Thoughts:
    I think it's obvious I'll be watching the rest of this immediately as soon as I allow myself to watch beyond the first three episodes of any of these shows. Great show, great choice, well played.

Another one on my TV shows to watch. Great reveal Lavar

2D takes the round, which leaves him tied in 2nd place with the purple tin, but it's Liz who moves into the overall lead... for now anyway... ;)

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    JP Liz V1 11 12 23
    Davis Wrong Tweed 7 14 21
    the purple tin 12 9 21
    Alfred Borden 10 10 20
    cee_jay 13 6 19
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 18
    Sawduck 9 7 16
    ShaneU 14 1 15
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 14
    aaronjennings 8 5 13
    Irish Aris 3 8 11
    SineadSpears 5 3 8
    Necro 2 4 6
    Kolido 4 2 6

That's the entertainment done for this evening, but I hope you've found some recommendations amongst that lot, a very strong round as I said, and I always feel bad ranking people low, but this round doubly so.

I intend to be back tomorrow for Round 3 (possibly slightly earlier, as I think Rikand has a PEEHS reveal at some point), but will confirm the time tomorrow afternoon...

Then on Thursday it's Double Trouble, as I plan to do Round 4 Reveal sometime in the afternoon, and Round 5 in the evening (there'll be a break between them anyway)

Might also do two Rounds on Friday, and then a Big Finale on Saturday with the Final Round proper, and the two Bonus Rounds...

But that could all change, just a general outline of what I have in mind schedule wise...

But as always, keep the discussion and banter going in the meantime, I enjoyed the post-match analysis yesterday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

One day you're the cock of the walk, the next day a feather duster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Neverwhere has been on my list for quite a while now.
    The novel is absolutely fantastic!!

Oh I never realised Hazel from Umbrella Academy was the guy in mindhunter too!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Death or glory, it's the best way to play walrus ;)

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Neverwhere has been on my list for quite a while now.
    The novel is absolutely fantastic!!
    Well now you gave two of us recommending it ;)
    Like I said, you have to look past the technical shortcomings, but the story is wonderfully told

Kolido wrote: »
    Haha that pitch was class, well played leVar.

Surprise at the contrast in the rating between epi1 and the other 2. Pilots should be good.

Throughout the tournaments, some episodes were like YoYo's, a bad episode could drag an otherwise cracking show down big time, but from a game perspective that only added to the fun I think...

Told you ;)
    Delighted that you liked it. I was a little concerned by the low budget because it does look terrible at times but I loved it so much as a show.

Hardly seen any of the others but I did love Mindhunter, a very worthy winner. So gutted it's been canned before its time.

Death Note is probably top of my list to go check out now - I kind of know I'll love anime stuff but never really know where to start, this seems like a good place!

Big budget shows are only as good as their story and director (another jab at the big man... take that Scorsese :D), and story always wins me over ultimately, so it was a great choice, and I'm glad it'll finally spur me on to read the book that's been my constant unread for so long... :pac:

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I have seen the film and I found it very poor.

Yeah it wasn't great if your a fan of horror. I'm not, but I watched it with the kiddo's & I thought it was kinda funny. Like a low budget stupid attempt at a horror from what I can remember of it.

ShaneU wrote: »

Swings and Roundabouts, innit? ;)

Still plenty of game to be revealed, and I believe everyone had their ups and downs.

Just flicking through again, it really was a great looking round, lots that have piqued my interest.

Now if I only had time to watch TV :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh I never realised Hazel from Umbrella Academy was the guy in mindhunter too!

Genuinely had me scratching me head throughout the episode, until I had to just go check it on IMDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Good on ya Nitty. I saw that show back when it was on first and loved it but in the years since I have never been able to remember what it was called.
    You'd think the beeb would have repeated it at some stage.

Good on ya Nitty. I saw that show back when it was on first and loved it but in the years since I have never been able to remember what it was called.
    You'd think the beeb would have repeated it at some stage.
    At the very least they could throw out up on the iplayer. Channel 4 are great at putting old stuff online, it's a shame the BBC aren't

Genuinely had me scratching me head throughout the episode, until I had to just go check it on IMDB.

Its mad that I didn't spot that, because I really liked how he played his character in Mindhunter so I was watching him closely.

I could understand if it was a character I wasnt really interested in, then maybe I wouldn't put two & two together.

& I watched both programmes around the same time as each other so I'm surprised i didn't cop it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Did not realise some of these were adaptations!

What We Do In The Shadows goes on my to check out list, might have to give Neverwhere a look too.
    Maybe I should reconsider Limitless, I saw the film and figured the TV version would be sh*te but maybe not.
    Mindhunter would top the pack for me too, I love that show :)

Thanks to the nominators and LeVar for the ever growing tv list. I'll need to spend less time playing games on a Forum if I am ever to get to the bottom of it :p

ari101 wrote: »
    I'll need to spend less time playing games on a Forum if I am ever to get to the bottom of it :p
    It's too late for that now

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wait till we get ari playing werewolf, that's the end of it then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'll be doing the peehs reveal at around 9-9:30pm hopefully :)

Rikand wrote: »
    I'll be doing the peehs reveal at around 9-9:30pm hopefully :)

No worries so, will be done long before then anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Necro wrote: »
    Wait till we get ari playing werewolf, that's the end of it then :D

Haha, I'll have to try it!
    I did see the Father Ted 2 one, and I'm planning to Lurk and watch (I've a lot on next week so committing to a game I don't entirely understand, that seems to require a rather regular presence / posting, would risk me letting the side down. I also fear I will need to find time to draw next week - in better news I found some acrylic paints and then a set of markers too, so if the MSPaint app don't work I'm covered :D )

Advertisement