Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Round 3 Reveal, Stick To That Tried & Tested Formula, scheduled for 7pm this evening (although may kick off 10-15 minutes earlier than that if I'm ready on time)

Here's one I may have gone for myself for such a round...

NTSF:SD:SUV::
    National Terrorism Strike Force: San Diego: Sport Utility Vehicle::

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1783495/
    IMDB wrote:
    Never forget? Terrorism hasn't, and neither will the NTSF:SD:SUV. In a world where threatening danger looms large and Homeland Security won't secure itself, San Diego's citizens can't afford not to trust in the NTSF.

SNyL9YBl.jpg

A piss-take and parody of all other police procedurals basically, I always found it to be great fun and completely absurd, and at 11 minutes an episode they're perfect to throw on when you just want something short and sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sounds interesting, and it's always good to have something short to watch! Just saw it's on All4, might check it out later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I adore Kyle Chandler and Early Edition

I'd watch him in anything so likeable and very very hot

Check out Homefront and Bloodline with him also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Right, I'm ready to rock and roll, so starting off in a few minutes (slightly earlier than advertised, but hopefully people won't mind).

This was another cracking round, great mix of genres, and no duplicates, so 14 unique entries once again for the Tried & Tested Formula shows...

In the words of the Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get It Started"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yay :D

• Advertisement

In 8th with 7 points is
    Deleted User

Married… With Children

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092400/
    IMDB wrote:
    Al Bundy is a misanthropic women's shoe salesman with a miserable life. He hates his job, his wife is lazy, his son is dysfunctional (especially with women), and his daughter is dim-witted and promiscuous.

soVwfYbl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 86%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    There's something really endearing about a show like this that was the antithesis of all the everything-is-rosy family sitcoms of the time, and even watching it now thirty-three years after it aired, this pilot holds up really well, the majority of the jokes still land extremely well and there are laughs aplenty throughout. It was almost parodying all the "safe" shows at the time, and helped change the TV landscape in a way that allowed for the edgier and more outrageous shows that we're so used to nowadays. Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal are fantastic and iconic as Al and Peggy right from the very beginning, and I've always felt Amanda Bearse never got enough credit for Marcy because she's great here too.

Episode 2: "Thinnergy"
    Not quite as strong as the first episode, but still pretty damn close. It's amazing how a sitcom that uses most of the same beats and variations of the same beats can be just as enjoyable every episode even if its not bringing anything new to the table. That mostly comes down to the cast here, but especially O'Neill and Sagal, if the two leads didn't work well then nothing else would either, and they've got a great chemistry and can just bounce off each other really well.

Episode 3: "But I Didn't Shoot The Deputy"
    The story in this episode isn't anywhere near as strong as the first two, and the jokes weren't quite as frequent, but always enjoyable to spend time with the Bundys, and there was still a handful of jokes that landed really well. Decent, but not quite up to scratch and can't really follow the heights of the first two.

Final Thoughts:
    I remember toward the end of the '90s, Network Two used to air Married… With Children every Monday-Friday evening right after Home & Away, and I never missed a single episode of either (if I wasn't at home to watch them live, I'd set the VCR to record them for later) and it was great, even though I was probably too young to be allowed watch it (would've been when I was about 11, if not younger). I have re-watched it once or twice since then on DVD, but always nice to take a trip down memory lane, and its probably about time for another re-watch, so will continue on with it.

In 7th with 8 points is
    the purple tin

Warehouse 13

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132290/
    IMDB wrote:
    Pete and Myka, U.S Secret Service agents, are deployed in South Dakota's Warehouse 13 with a new assignment from an authority above and outside the government.

X9Jq16kl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 7
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 86.6%

I had always heard good things about Warehouse 13 when it was airing and had meant to check it out at some point, but I never got around to it and kind of forgot its existence over time. This was really good, had a great premise, and was lots of fun. I also really like the cast, they're all very likeable, I've always enjoyed Saul Rubinek in anything else he shows up in, and Eddie McClintock and Joanne Kelly have really good chemistry, and both have quite a bit of charm about them too. There's so much potential here to do anything they want and experiment with styles and genres, so I'm looking forward to see what else is in store.

Episode 2: "Resonance"
    The case of the week was a bit meh, and it lacked any real jeopardy or action, although the conclusion of the case saved it for me a bit, because I thought the motive was good and liked how Lattimer and Bering navigated that part of things. The chemistry between the characters, particularly Lattimer and Bering, is still great though and there was some good banter in here ; it reminded me a bit of Supernatural, in the sense that even the weaker episodes were still enjoyable because the cast is so damn watchable. Overall, I still liked it, just didn't pack anywhere near the same punch as the pilot. If this episode came along somewhere later in the season I might have even enjoyed the case more or at the very least found its failing a bit more forgivable, but I think as a second outing it needed a story that was more impactful or that had a bit more umph to it.

Episode 3: "Magnetism"
    This episode was hilarious and intriguing, and I really loved it. McClintock and Kelly have really great comic timing and are so charismatic as leads, I could literally just watch an entire episode of the two of them just bickering with each other. They did do a lot of bickering here, but the case of the week was also interesting and a lot fun, so it was a win-win.

Final Thoughts:
    Definitely going to be watching more of this. Had been looking for something to fill the hole left by Supernatual after it ended its fifteen year run, and Warehouse 13 is definitely in a similar vein, so it's the perfect show to latch on to in Supernatural's place.

In 9th with 6 points is
    Alfred Borden

Cold Case

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/
    IMDB wrote:
    The Philadelphia homicide squad's lone female detective finds her calling when she's assigned "cold cases", older crimes that have never been solved.

Dcn5AQ4l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 6.1
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 82%

Episode 1: "Look Again"
    What I really liked here was the lead actor, Kathryn Morris, she was charismatic and likeable, and all the other actors playing the detectives were great too. Quite a few of the guest actors though felt like they were there on work experience after spending a couple of days in a low rate acting school, including Kate Mara, who was the best of the bad bunch, but has thankfully greatly improved since this appearance, because I do like her in more recent projects. The general premise of the show is pretty interesting, but this case was pretty bland and glaringly obvious who the culprit was very early on. There's also something about Police Procedurals like this from the late-nineties to mid-noughties that were made for the CBS network (other examples would be NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds) that feel really hollow and humourless which puts me off them, compared to the likes of grittier shows like Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on NBC, or something that leant into its comedic side like Bones on FOX. It is decent, but feels like it came out of the oven a bit too early. I was going to commend this on having a pretty good '70s soundtrack to represent the case of the week, but then for the last two minutes of the show the putrid tones of that prick John Foggerty take the forefront as Have You Ever Seen The Rain? blares over the closing montage, and as quite a few Forum Games regulars know only too well, I f**king despise Creedance Clearwater Revival. I didn't take away any points for their inclusion, but I also didn't give any bonus marks for the soundtrack that the episode may have gotten otherwise.

Episode 2: "Gleen"
    Everything worked much better here, the case of the week was much more compelling, as were the guest actors, there's also some good banter between the main cast that lightens things up a bit, and I really enjoyed the early '80s soundtrack and how they use music to set the era ; plus no Foghorn Foggerty this week, so I can actually give the soundtrack its due credit. I had more or less figured the case out once again, but I didn't mind as much because the story was executed well, which is the main thing.

Episode 3: "Our Boy Is Back"
    I was a bit surprised when Justin Chambers who played Rush's main partner in the first two episodes was mysteriously missing from the opening credits and doesn't appear in the episode, so I checked IMDB and apparently he only shows up in episodes 1, 2, and 4 before disappearing for good. I had liked him well enough in the other two episodes, but his absence means Jeremy Ratchford is given more screentiem as Detective Vera gets more to do here, which that works for the better because I like the dynamic between him and Rush, more than I did Rush and Lassing. Really enjoyed the case here as well, and it was invested in the episode.

Final Thoughts:
    A really enjoyable police procedural based on the first three, and even though I wasn't crazy about episode one, I could tell the premise was good, which was proven in the second and third outings, and I do like the way they use music in the show, so will definitely be watching more Cold Case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Warehoues 13 gets way better towards the end of Season 1 and into Season 2 onwards as well, so if you liked the first three episodes then that's a very promising start

In 6th with 9 points is
    Sawduck

The Inbetweeners

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220617/
    IMDB wrote:
    Follows four friends and their antics during their final years of school.

3AnvccSl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 7.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.7
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 87.6%

Episode 1: "First Day"
    The great thing about The Inbetweeners for me is that all the characters and situations remind me of people I knew and situations that happened when I was in secondary school and college, and the way the four lads talk to each other, is the exact same way me and my friends spoke to each other back in the day, and still is most of the time when it comes to the friends I still have from school. I remember back when I was thirteen and in second year, Gladiator came out in the cinema and after school one Friday the majority of our year when up to the cinema to watch it, and most of us got our tickets no bother and were all in queueing for popcorn and drinks, when two of the lads who looked a lot younger than the rest of us were refused tickets because they weren't fifteen, and one of them in an attempt to convince the person in the box office to sell him a ticket, pointed out that all of us who have just been sold tickets are also under fifteen, and then none of us could go see it, and were either refunded our money or could go instead to another film that was 12 or PG. It's almost exactly what happens here with Will in the pub, so I always really love that scene.

Episode 2: "Bunk Off"
    There are some really good moments in this, some solid laughs and antics, but I've always struggled with Joe Thomas and Simon Bird's acting when Simon and Will are meant to be drunk. They're meant to be absolutely locked for a lot of the scenes here and it just comes across as cartoon-ish, which lets down the episode quite a bit for me. In later episodes I seem to remember only Jay and Neil tend to get absolutely hammered, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a conscious choice by the writers based on the performance of the other two here. I still enjoy it, but its definitely a drop in quality.

Episode 3: "Thorpe Park"
    Some of the most memorable moments of the entire show are in this episode, it's very funny and has a solid story. Simon's driving test is a highlight for me, it's so awkward and cringey, and exactly the sort of humour I enjoy most. Bounces back well from the last episode too.

Final Thoughts:
    Was a big fan of The Inbetweeners when it first aired and while some of the shine has worn off for me on repeated viewing, I still get a good laugh out of it, and I do think First Day and Thorpe Park are two of the best episodes and they both still stand up very well.

• Advertisement

In 10th with 5 points is
    Irish Aris

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2467372/
    IMDB wrote:
    Comedy series following the exploits of Det. Jake Peralta and his diverse, lovable colleagues as they police the NYPD's 99th Precinct.

6QMmMOUl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 6.4
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 81.3%

A good pilot, tone of the show quickly established and you get a sense of all the characters. Some of the time with sitcom pilots, the chemistry isn't quite there yet between the cast and people often haven't figured out their characters entirely, and that's something I noticed here, even if I wasn't familiar with the show already it's something I would've been aware of ; it's not a huge thing just something I thought was noticeable here. The jokes are good though, it's pretty decent, and I'm looking forward to revisiting the early episodes of this series.

Episode 2: "The Tagger"
    There were a couple of really solid jokes, but nowhere as funny as the pilot, and none of the team ups or pairings of characters really worked for me here, because the characters themselves just don't feel fully formed yet so they banter between them falls a bit flat ; it's the same issue I had with the first episode, but its more obvious here because neither of the two main plotlines are particularly enjoyable. Having seen the show before, there are some of the earlier episodes I remember really struggling with, and this is definitely one of them. Holt is the one character at the moment that I really really enjoy, because Andre Braugher is just phenomenally good, but I'm a bit tepid towards the rest of the characters at this point in time.

Episode 3: "The Slump"
    Just like that, everything falls into place, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine has found its footing. Even though there is a couple of storylines going on, everything overlaps and the characters interact as an ensemble a bit more, unlike last week where there were two separate stories going on. It also feels like everyone has figured out their characters and they're all bouncing off each other well. Much funnier and the jokes are all landing too. Cracking episode.

Final Thoughts:
    The first time I watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine was when it first aired, and I didn't make it past the second episode, there were a lot of great comedies on TV back in 2013 and it wasn't bad, just didn't make enough of a lasting impression to make me want to add it to my comedy roster, until about a year later when a friend I usually agree with when it comes to sitcoms convinced me to give it another chance, and that it gets so much better as it goes along. The third episode really won me over at the time and was enough to spur me through some of the other 'meh' episodes early on, and I've kept up to date with it since. Great sitcom that stumbles out of the gate, but then hits its stride and is up there with The Office, Parks & Recreation, Community, etc.

In 5th with 10 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Eerie, Indiana

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101088
    IMDB wrote:
    Teenage weirdness investigator Marshall Teller adventures through his new small-town home with his friends, geeky Simon Holmes and mysterious Dash X.

Fx8A3dnl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.2
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 92.3%

Episode 1: "Foreverware"
    It may be a kid's show, but this is genuinely creepy and unsettling, and not surprising that it has a huge cult following with adults beyond mere nostalgia reasons. It's also not surprising that it only lasted nineteen episodes, because it's far too clever for most kids to appreciate, and while I do remember watching it as a child, it wasn't until myself and a few friends got our hands on the DVD when we were in college that I really appreciated how ingeniously imaginative it really was. I also never realised until this viewing that Joe Dante both directed several episodes, including this one, and served as a creative consultant on the show, but once you know that it's easy to see that style and feel most of his films had, which is definitely a good thing, because I've always been a big fan of Gremlins and The 'Burbs.

Episode 2: "The Retainer"
    I'm very wary of both Dogs and Dentists and I think this episode of Eerie, Indiana may have played a part in that. I'm sure there are plenty of dog lovers here, but they just make me really uneasy, and I can't relax if I'm in someone's house if they have a dog, even if it's outside and even if I know they're docile and friendly, I'm just always on edge if there's the chance someone could let a dog into the house at any given moment. As for dentists, I've not been to a dentist since 1998 when I was eleven years old, and I've never had any problem with my teeth, take good care of them and fingers crossed will never have a reason to need to go visit the dentist because I don't trust them. That all said, this episode still freaks me out and is actually pretty dark. Preferred the first one a little more, but still a very high standard.

Episode 3: "ATM With a Heart of Gold"
    Another solid episode, and a really layered story - there's some really nice messages and nods in it to things that would probably go way over kids' heads. I had re-watched some Eerie, Inidana episodes about ten years ago, but this wasn't one of them and I don't remember it from my childhood viewings of the series, unlike the previous two, which was nice as it felt new to me. People sometimes compare Eerie, Indiana to Twin Peaks, and Harry Goaz (aka. Twin Peaks' Deputy Andy Brennan) makes a brief cameo as a police officer here, which I also thought was pretty cool.

Final Thoughts:
    Definitely going to watch the rest of these, hopefully there's another few episodes I don't remember or hadn't seen during my previous re-watch. Great choice, which would've fared really well in the '90s round and snuck in to third over there. Competition was slightly tougher in this round, but still a very respectable placing.

Good time to arrive :)
    Glad you like it, I loved it back in the day and saw it fairly recently, thought it still stood up well
    Great choice, which would've fared really well in the '90s round
    ...but then where would I have put Wild Palms? :D

I did also think of Brooklyn 9-9 but it doesn't start that strong. Worth sticking with though, it gets so, so good!

Good time to arrive :)
    Glad you like it, I loved it back in the day and saw it fairly recently, thought it still stood up well

...but then where would I have put Wild Palms? :D

In the great TV rubbish bin of forgotten show which hopefully will never resurface again... ;)

In 11th with 4 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Death In Paradise

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1888075/
    IMDB wrote:
    A UK police DI is transferred to St-Marie's police dept. He hates the sun, sea and sand. Series follows his murder investigations on the island. Later series see another UK DI head the team, followed by an Irish DI and then another UK DI.

X4pEvFRl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 75.3%

Episode 1: "Arriving In Paradise"
    Wasn't sure what to expect at all for this one, I had heard the name before, but had no idea what it was about. It was a solid enough opening episode, it was fairly quirky, had a pretty decent case to solve, and I liked all the characters. Quite a few actors I know and like from other shows and films, so will be interesting to see if they'll be sticking around long term or if they were more a one and done guest character. I also liked that when people were giving their statements for the night of the murder it flashed back and showed us what they were saying happened, whether that was actually how it went down or not, and it's another framing device I hope will be the norm.

Episode 2: "Wicked Wedding Night"
    The dynamic and banter between DI Poole and the rest of the Saint Marie police team, especially DS Bordey, is definitely the most enjoyable thing about the show, but I also really liked the case of the week, there was enough red herrings and motives to keep me guessing up until just before the big reveal, and the way Poole draws out the reveal and connects all the dots is a lot of fun. Know and like most of the guest characters this week from other projects they've been in, which I find always helps in shows like this to help me get a bit more invested into the case quicker than I might have otherwise.

Episode 3: "Predicting Murder"
    Thought the case of the week here was pretty crap. Some enjoyable scenes with the regular characters which was just about enough to maintain my interest, but it was all very meh overall, and was a let down after the very strong first two episodes unfortunately.

Final Thoughts:
    Hopefully the third episode is just a blip and that overall the quality remains quite strong, will give it the benefit of the doubt anyway and check out a few more episodes at least. The cast are likeable enough to give it a chance to redeem itself anyway.

In 4th with 11 points is
    SineadSpears

Horrible Histories

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1400819/
    IMDB wrote:
    A group of British comedians show the sides of history they don't teach you in school. From the 'Savage Stone Age' to the 'Troublesome 20th Century', you see the full side to history.

HAtQYAHl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.3
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 92.6%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    Why didn't they have this show when I was a kid? I would've learned so much and had much more of an interest in history than I do now, if this had been around back then. I was aware of the book series, but I was never allowed read them (for some reason I got away with watching pretty much whatever I wanted on TV, but a closer eye was kept on what books I was reading, presumably because someone was buying those for me, whereas the TV was just there). I didn't know what to expect with this, but it was a lot of fun, and I genuinely learned some really interesting and fun facts - I had no idea that Pirates had a strict bedtime of 8pm, amongst other unexpected rules. So basically, Horrible Histories is a sketch show and as to be expected some of the sketches landed a bit better than others, but overall they were really really good, especially the song at the end about Kings George I-IV and the Twisted Fairytale of the Three Little Pigs in Victorian times. I recognise pretty much all of the actors here too, can't put a name to all of the faces, but quite a few of them have been in more grown up comedy and drama series in recent years. I genuinely can't wait to see what the next episode has in store.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    All killer, no filler ; thought every single one of the sketches here were great, loved the parodies of all the ads and TV shows. I'll have to get this on DVD for my niece and nephew, they'd absolutely love it. There's as much humour, if not more, in here for the adults as there is for the kids. A couple of the sketches were genuinely revolting, but the kid in me loved every second of them. Really nothing else to be said about this, great stuff altogether.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    Some of the sketches didn't land quite as well in this one, so overall not as strong as the first two episodes, but there were still a handful of really strong sketches and I enjoyed all there was to learn so still very enjoyable episode and I just love the format in general.

Final Thoughts:
    Definitely will be continuing watching these, so much fun, educational, and genuinely funny. This is something I never would've thought about watching had it not been nominated here, so it was a really good choice, and I'm glad to have been introduced to it.

In 4th with 11 points is
    SineadSpears

Horrible Histories
    Interesting - just last week the guy who created this was on the radio and he was really engaging, made me wonder if these would be any good. I'll have to check them out

Horrible Histories is great, the kids love it - would be a good purchase for your niece alright LeVar

Which means it's squeaky bum time for...

(in alphabetical order, as always)

aaronjennings
    cee_jay
    JP Liz V1
    Kolido
    Necro
    ShaneU

...and in a round where it's a big mish-mash of genres, I'm not sure any one of them could be feeling confident...

They'll have to wait a few minutes before learning their fates (because I'm evil, if I really wanted to, I could fire these posts out in rapid succession

Ah Kolido, we meet again

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Interesting - just last week the guy who created this was on the radio and he was really engaging, made me wonder if these would be any good. I'll have to check them out

Created by - and starring many of - the same people who would go on to create Ghosts, the BBC sitcom

Which means it's squeaky bum time for...

(in alphabetical order, as always)

aaronjennings
    cee_jay
    JP Liz V1
    Kolido
    Necro
    ShaneU

...and in a round where it's a big mish-mash of genres, I'm not sure any one of them could be feeling confident...

They'll have to wait a few minutes before learning their fates (because I'm evil, if I really wanted to, I could fire these posts out in rapid succession

Looking at your scores from this round, I'm pretty confident of a last place :p

Created by - and starring many of - the same people who would go on to create Ghosts, the BBC sitcom

Oh really? I had heard a few mentions of that show recently, must add it to the list... my curiosity is certainly piqued...

Christ, this pause is the worst one yet, isn't it?

giphy.gif

Oh right yeah, that's my job isn't it... ;)

In 12th with 3 points is
    aaronjennings

FBI

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7491982/
    IMDB wrote:
    Procedural drama about the inner workings of the New York office of the FBI, bringing to bear all the Bureau's skills, intellect and mind-blowing technology to keep New York and the country safe.

tnytJqYl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 5.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 5.6
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 69.3%

Created by Dick Wolf, the man who brought us Law & Order and all of its spin-offs, and Chicago Fire and all of its spin-offs, all of which are shows I thoroughly enjoy. Missy Peregrym and Jeremy Sisto are two of the main cast members, both of whom I know and like from some of their other work. On paper this show should be a slam dunk for me, and despite plenty of explosions in this pilot I was fairly indifferent to the whole experience. The characters are all pretty joyless and lack any sort of personality, and the overall premise doesn't add an interesting hook or have new and exciting elements that we haven't seen a million times before. It's not bad, it's just a bit bland, but I can see some potential, and it wasn't unwatchable. I have seen the pilot before, but not watched beyond that, so fingers crossed some things happened between production for this and the second episode that ramps things up.

Episode 2: "Green Birds"
    This felt like a different show, and an absolutely massive improvement from the first episode. The previous episode felt like it was trying way too hard and it was trying to entice me with explosions and by heightening the drama too much. The regular characters all had personality and charisma about them in this one and weren't just the dialogue plot progression robots that they were in the pilot. The case of the week was engaging, exciting, and I gave a sh*t about what was going on. It's a few days since I watched the first episode, but this also feels like it was filmed differently, the lighting is much better and it doesn't feel as doom and gloomy. It felt more in line with the Law & Order and Chicago franchises as well, and you can actually tell its made by the same people. It's also a cautionary tale about how salad is really bad for you and you can easily die from eating it, and I've been saying that sh*t for years.

Episode 3: "Prey"
    This show is all over the shop. All the things I liked about the second episode are gone again, and its more in line with the dreary tone of episode one. I have no problem with things being bleak and dark, but if they are the characters and plot need to be really engaging, and they're just not in this. The case of the week was fine at best, but honestly the whole thing just felt like a discarded script from the SVU and rejigged slightly to fit the FBI characters. Not that there's anything wrong with shows doing the same sorts of cases over and over, but when the third episode of the new Dick Wolf show essentially feels like a knock of version of an episode of another of his shows that's been on the air for twenty-one years, it just feels like an inferior version of SVU. It's not bad, but I still don't have any real sense of FBI as a show in its own right.

Final Thoughts:
    This is a weird one because I thought the second episode was brilliant and showed so much promise, but I wonder if that was merely a one off and the rest of the show is more in line with the first and third episodes, which doesn't appeal to me at all, but then I remember the great second episode and it was a glimmer of hope that makes me want to give the show a chance. I might check out another couple of episodes to see if it finds its feet, but won't be rushing out to watch them at the same time.

Christ, this pause is the worst one yet, isn't it?

giphy.gif
    Nah, it's grand :D

Oh really? I had heard a few mentions of that show recently, must add it to the list... my curiosity is certainly piqued...

No-one nominated it for the modern comedy, then? :D

It was on my short-list beside the one I eventually went for

In 3rd with 12 points is
    ShaneU

Tru Calling

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364817/
    IMDB wrote:
    A university graduate working in the city morgue is able to repeat the same day over again to prevent murders or other disasters.

Xa1MFa8l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.4
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 96.6%

Not sure why I never watched this before, I've always liked Eliza Dushku, and it's exactly my kind of thing. I was aware of it, but I don't think I fully understood the premise, I had thought Tru worked in a morgue and could live the final day of someone's live thus solving their murder or death, I didn't realise she actually relives the day as herself and can therefore attempt to prevent the death from ever happening in the first place, because I would have watched it years ago had I knonw that. Quite similar to Early Edition in the '90s round, and obviously I loved that concept, so unsurprising I was also a fan of this. I also like Zach Galifianakis here, he's not as over the top as his post-Hangover career, which can be a bit annoying, but he's just the right amount of quirky in this.

Episode 2: "Putting Out Fires"
    This was even better than the first episode, really enjoyed the story of the week, and I would've given it full marks, if it weren't for the fact that two of the scenes on the repeat day are the wrong way around, which doesn't really matter to the story, but it was a goof that should've been picked up on before the episode went to air. Ultimately it was a minor thing, I enjoyed the episode more than enough to be able to overlook that, and if I wasn't analysing the show for reviewing purposes I might not have even noticed it, but I did so couldn't give it the full rating on this occasion.

Episode 3: "Brother's Keeper"
    Another solid episode, I do like the few twists and turns the show has thrown in to each episode so far, even if I did see some of them coming, it just adds another element to the show. I do find Tru's brother Harrison a bit frustrating, because he keeps flip flopping over whether or not to believe she can at the very least predict the future on occasion, despite having proven it to him several times now in each episode, and this episode wouldn't work if he just automatically believed her, but it just made me want to give him a slap that he was being so stubborn ; it would've been more effective if Tru hadn't helped him out or confided in him in the first two episodes. It was the one thing that let this episode down slightly compared to the previous two.

Final Thoughts:
    It's fairly obvious I was an instant fan of this one, so will unsurprisingly be watching the rest of the series. It only ran for 26 episodes, and based on the first three episodes alone, I reckon its already safe for me to say that I think it was cancelled far too soon.

• Advertisement

Final Thoughts:
    This is a weird one because I thought the second episode was brilliant and showed so much promise, but I wonder if that was merely a one off and the rest of the show is more in line with the first and third episodes, which doesn't appeal to me at all, but then I remember the great second episode and it was a glimmer of hope that makes me want to give the show a chance. I might check out another couple of episodes to see if it finds its feet, but won't be rushing out to watch them at the same time.

All fair. Like I said in my nomination, even I gave up watching this show in Season 2, my nomination was solely based on that fact that I thought it started well, like three mini-action movies

Advertisement