Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Bit late to the party.

I'm so surprised you liked Horrible Histories!!
    But kinda not surprised at the same time either. :pac:.

Was so worried about putting a show like that in lol.

I was a bit of a serious kid so I don't think I would have appreciated it myself if it was around when I was younger.

I'm a bit of an eejit of an adult now so I get a great buzz out if it.

There's a character that does 'stupid death's'. it's about people dying in stupid/funny ways.
    I always sing the song to the kiddos when someone does something clumsy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 13th with 2 points is
    JP Liz V1

Castle

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219024/
    IMDB wrote:
    After a serial killer imitates the plots of his novels, successful mystery novelist Richard "Rick" Castle receives permission from the Mayor of New York City to tag along with an NYPD homicide investigation team for research purposes.

4h0qx80l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 2.3
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.2
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 52.6%

Episode 1: "Flowers For Your Grave"
    I don't really get the obsession some people have with Nathan Fillion, he's hugely overrated for someone who is a fairly one-note actor ; as part of a big ensemble he can be enjoyable, especially when actors with much more range buoy his performance, but there's nobody for him to hide behind here, it's really just him and Stana Katic at the forefront, and a handful of bland side characters in the periphery, and he's just very meh. I've not seen Stana Katic in anything else before, but based on this performance she's fairly average too. As for their characters, I didn't get much of anything from Beckett to know who she is, and Castle is just an assh*le (they seem to be trying to go for the loveable rogue type character that he played in Firefly, but its just coming across as assh*le). The concept isn't terrible, so there is potential for it to get better, but this case was boring, some of the dialogue was cringeworthy, and the colour palette made me nauseous (I couldn't tell if there was a yellow-ish hue sort of filter on the camera, or if it was just the costumes clashing with set dressings, but it was all very much like a bottle of mustard had a nosebleed). To give it some credit, it didn't feel like it dragged on too long, so I'm guessing the pacing was pretty decent and there was at least some entertaining aspects, but I was just so distracted by everything else going on that I couldn't focus on the positives.

Episode 2: "Nanny McDead"
    I rolled my eyes so hard I hurt myself during this. Castle, a writer who is not a trained detective or any sort of law enforcement office, suggests to a team of detectives that maybe they should question the neighbours of a murder victim, and all these seasonsed detectives just look at him in awe and say sh*t along the lines of "why didn't we think of that", and up until that point I thought this was a huge improvement on the pilot, but f**k me that was ridiculous. Castle's mother and daughter being main characters on this show is completely redundant and just takes away from the crime of the week, plus neither are likeable or good actors. Same goes for most of the other characters actually, I found Beckett marginally bearable for a few minutes, thought Stana Katic was doing a reasonably good job with the part, and then most of the episode is spent making her look incompetent so Castle can appear smart by talking down or mansplaining everything to her, which made me just hate everyone involved in making this thing. The case was pretty interesting at first, but then it just got stupid. Whatever was going on with the colour palette in the last episode has at least been discarded, so at least it didn't make my head spin or make me want to throw up. All that said though, it still flew by pretty quickly, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoyed hate-watching it ; it just got to the point where it was so awful I started to have fun watching how bad it was.

Episode 3: "Hedge Fund Homeboys"
    I'm not sure if this is a case of Stockholm Syndrome or the show is just so bad that it's actually good, but I can't deny I thought this one was a lot of fun. It still has all the same problems as the previous episode, everyone else is made stupid so Castle can look really smart, even though a toddler could probably solve these cases, and I also didn't hate his mother or daughter as much as I did last time even they're still a completely pointless addition to the series, but for some reason everything comes together in this episode for me and its all just dumb enough to work.

Final Thoughts:
    Look its not a show I'm going to be recommending to people because its not a good show, but I can see it becoming a guilty pleasure for me and I probably will end up continuing watching this, I'll give it another few episode anyway at the very least, especially when I just need to zone out and not watch anything that requires much attention or logical thought.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Doesn't like Nathan Fillion...

tenor.gif?itemid=3625953

In 2nd with 13 points is
    cee_jay

Taskmaster

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4934214/
    IMDB wrote:
    Five comedians are set tasks challenging their creativity and wit. The tasks are supervised by Alex Horne but the Taskmaster, Greg Davies, always has the final word.

MZOyDijl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 99%

Episode 1: "Melon Buffet"
    There are two shows I genuinely watch at least a few minutes of (if not full episodes) almost every single day ; mostly because they're constantly repeated on Dave and it's the channel my TV is permanently on before and after I watch recordings of other things so I tend to catch a few minutes here and there, but also because they genuinely just bring me a lot of joy… Would I Lie To You? is one of them, and Taskmaster is the other, so I've seen parts of this episodes over fifty times if not more, and it still never fails to make me laugh and smile. Aside from regular repeats on Dave, all the episodes and clips are also on YouTube, and sometimes I just fancy a good laugh so throw on my favourite tasks. Such a simple and stupid and cheap concept for a TV show and it really shouldn't work, but it just does. I've never been able to do the concept justice when I've tried to explain to people before why they should watch it, so I'm not even going to try, but if you've never seen it, do yourself a favour. This episode is a great introduction to the show, and even though I already know it’s the weakest episode of the first season, that doesn't mean much, because its still brilliant.

Episode 2: "The Pie Whisperer"
    The first episode of Taskmaster feels a bit like someone going, "here's a new Comedy Panel Show, it's a bit of a silly concept, but we hope you enjoy it and that it will prove it can hold its own in the world of Comedy Panel Shows," then the second one rolls in and is like, "glad you enjoyed the first episode, that was really just to get everyone used to the formay, but now we'll show you why it is actually the greatest Comedy Panel Show on the planet," and it definitely is by quite some margin. The tasks themselves in Taskmaster are a lot of fun, but it's the reactions and banter and outrage from the comedians watching them back in the studio that make this show as amazing as it is.

Episode 3: "The Poet and the Egg"
    Another flawless episode that perfectly captures all the things I love about this first season, anger from Romesh Ranganathan, ingenuity from Tim Key, dedication from Josh Widdicombe, ineptitude from Roisin Conaty, quick wit from Frank Skinner, cutting commentary from Greg Davies, and as always the world class awkwardness of little Alex Horne.

Final Thoughts:
    In the past I have befriended people who seem fine at first, but then claim they don't enjoy comedy, and as to be expected after making such a statement they turned out to be absolute dry sh*tes, which I didn't necessarily realise that until after investing time in attempting to nurture a friendship. So in future I'm going to make everyone who wants to be friends with me watch the first three episodes of Taskmaster and if they don't enjoy it then they can just f**k off, because the friendship won't last long anyway ; I can't deal with people who don't enjoy having a laugh and I think Taskmaster is as good a barometer as any to gauge their sense of humour.

Lol I don't know that show TaskMaster, but I like your final thoughts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Can't argue with that, Taskmaster is one of the best things made for TV in recent years :)

Which means first and last place belong to Kolido and Necro, but who will end up where...

On the overall leaderboard, both of them are currently tied for last place, but now one is about to get a huge injection of points, and the other... well... let's just say it's not exactly happy fun times for them right now...

Honestly, this is such a tense one, I really feel it deserves another few minutes of a dramatic pause... ;)

***LeVar and the dramatic pauses driving Kolido and Necro insane right now***

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Castle is Murder She Wrote with an idiotic lead :p I've liked Nathan since Two Guys and a Pizza Place and of course as Captain Mal Tightpants Reynolds

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's ok LeVar, let's hit me with it...

im_ready_game_of_thrones.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't follow Castle religiously but whenever I catch an episode now and again it is usually quite enjoyable. It must have got better as it went on.

• Advertisement

This is almost as bad as The X-Factor or something, cutting to another ad-break before announcing the winner and loser of the week...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

In 2nd with 13 points is
    cee_jay

Taskmaster

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4934214/

MZOyDijl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 99%

Final Thoughts:
    In the past I have befriended people who seem fine at first, but then claim they don't enjoy comedy, and as to be expected after making such a statement they turned out to be absolute dry sh*tes, which I didn't necessarily realise that until after investing time in attempting to nurture a friendship. So in future I'm going to make everyone who wants to be friends with me watch the first three episodes of Taskmaster and if they don't enjoy it then they can just f**k off, because the friendship won't last long anyway ; I can't deal with people who don't enjoy having a laugh and I think Taskmaster is as good a barometer as any to gauge their sense of humour.

I only discovered Taskmaster in November, and we have been making our way through them all. The humour is just brilliant, and I like your plan on gauging friendships based on this show :D
    I hosted a Taskmaster Zoom night for friends last month, and it was so much fun! Some of them had never seen it, but those who had, went all out. It was one of the best nights in I've had over the past year (I was Greg!).

giphy.gif

They may be in last place, but at least they get the Pitch Meeting treatment of the round, if that may be of any consolation

In last place with 1 point is
    Kolido

MacGyver

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088559/
    IMDB wrote:
    The adventures of a secret Agent armed with almost infinite scientific resourcefulness.

IETm6Zwl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 1.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 4.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 50.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    I'm a fan of Richard Dean Anderson because of Stargate-SG1, and I know of MacGyver from a plethora of pop culture references and homages, I've even used MacGyver as a verb on several occasions, but I've never seen a single minute of the show, because honestly I always thought it sounded pretty stupid as a concept ; some lad going around getting out of scrapes with paper clips and chewing gum wrappers, the pitch just never grabbed me. I've clearly been missing out on a great show though, because this was f**king class, just a lot of fun, and I never knew all the MacGyverisms were based on actual science, but apparently they are and now I know I can potentially stop a sulfuric acid leak with a couple of bars of Dairy Milk if I ever find myself in such a predicament, so I'm learning something while being entertained. Good stuff.

Episode 2: "The Golden Triangle"
    What an absolute disappointment after such a great first episode. Think I need a pitch meeting to try and make some sense of that disaster.
    • Jaded Writer: Wow you're not looking so great boss, you sure you want to do this meeting today?
    • Detoxing Producer: My wife says she'll leave me if I don't knock the coke habit on the head, so I'm going cold turkey, but it's fine lets do this.
    • Jaded Writer: Are you sure? Isn't going cold turkey super dangerous? Maybe you should check-in to rehab for a bit, do things the right way.
    • Detoxing Producer: Listen, forget about me, I'm fine, just tell me what the pitch is for the second episode. People loved the Pilot, really well written, great story, so what's the follow up?
    • Jaded Writer: Well, that premiere is a tough act to follow, and I don't think we're going to be able to come close to matching it, so I thought we should lower expectations completely with the second episode, just write any old sh*te, and then anything we do after that will seem great by comparison.
    • Detoxing Producer: Honestly that sounds like a terrible idea, but maybe that's just the DT's talking, so tell me more.
    • Jaded Writer: Well, I was thinking we could send MacGyver on a mission to Burma.
    • Detoxing Producer: Burma? I'm not sure about subtitles, not everyone likes to read while they're watching TV
    • Jaded Writer: Oh no, all of these Burmese people will speak perfect English, even when MacGyver's not around and they're just talking amongst themselves, and we're never going to explain that, so no subtitles necessary
    • Detoxing Producer: Good, good, so what does he get up to in Burma?
    • Jaded Writer: Classic white saviour stuff, he frees a village of Burmese slaves from some generic bad guys who are generally just bad for the sake of being bad. And he befriends this annoying kid, so we're kind of riffing on Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, but we're going to do it really badly.
    • Detoxing Producer: None of this is sounding good to me at all, but honestly I'm just barely holding it together over here, so I don't care what the story is, just tell me does he do more of all the cool MacGyver sciency stuff that is basically the selling point of the show?
    • Jaded Writer: Nah, not really, that sounded like too much hard work, so we just went for some generic action movie type traps while fighting the bad guys, it's really lazy, not very creative, and basically a poor man's Home Alone in the jungle.
    • Detoxing Producer: What's Home Alone?
    • Jaded Writer: Well since it's 1985, I don't actually know, and I'm not sure why I'd say that, but maybe it's like a movie or something that'll come out in about five years time.
    • Detoxing Producer: Okay, I don't know if it's the whole situation I'm going through with cocaine withdrawl, but that last statement really f**ked with my head, so just do whatever you want okay, but just please leave my office because I need you to not be here anymore.

Episode 3: "Thief of Budapest"
    So the title gives away the location of this week's mission, and MacGyver finds himself in Budapest, where once again all of the local Hungarians as well as a Russian or two all speak flawlessly perfect English to MacGyver and each other, and the accents are truly terrible. I'd almost forgive the fact that everyone just speaks English (sometimes I can suspend my disbelief, because this obviously isn't the only show from that era that does this) if the acting was good, but Richard Dean Anderson is the only one of them who has any kind of acting chops whatsoever. There were a couple of decent MacGyverisms here, nowhere near as clever as the first episode, but better than last time. There was also a really cool car chase that made up the final ten minutes or so of the episode that saved it for me a bit.

Final Thoughts:
    I might try and find some episodes that stay in the States or at least are set in other English speaking countries so that I don't have to listen to dodgy accents and being annoyed by the fact that everyone just happens to speak English, because the first episode was so enjoyable that there must be more really good ones like that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

cee_jay wrote: »
    I only discovered Taskmaster in November, and we have been making our way through them all. The humour is just brilliant, and I like your plan on gauging friendships based on this show :D
    I hosted a Taskmaster Zoom night for friends last month, and it was so much fun! Some of them had never seen it, but those who had, went all out. It was one of the best nights in I've had over the past year (I was Greg!).

When you've finished the UK one cee_jay, I can strongly recommend the NZ one. All episodes are on YouTube, it's well up there with the best UK seasons.

In 1st with 14 points is
    Necro

The Rookie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7587890/
    IMDB wrote:
    Starting over isn't easy, especially for John Nolan who, after a life-altering incident, is pursuing his dream of joining the LAPD. As their oldest rookie, he's met with skepticism from those who see him as just a walking midlife crisis.

4s4Jhlql.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 99.3%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    I had watched this when it first came out and at the time I thought it was one of the strongest pilots of the last few years, and I still do. It strikes the balance of comedy and drama extremely well, does a great job at establishing the characters, and the crimes of the week are all really strong. I actually like Nathan Fillion playing the awkward underdog rather than the suave and smug smartest guy in the room type character he's known for playing, being flawed and fairly inept suits him a lot better. The cast around him also suit him incredibly well, because being surrounded by capable and likeable actors almost hides the fact that he's not the best actor (oooh, controversial statement). Melissa O'Neill, I'm a big fan of from Dark Matter, and is one of the standouts here, as is Eric Winter who plays her training officer, and Afton Williamson who plays Fillion's mentor. I can't remember if I ever watched beyond the pilot for this, and if I did I don't remember it, so looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Episode 2: "Crash Course"
    Great episode, can't fault it at all, and Fillion is growing on me in this role ; he's checked his ego at the door and he's more likeable because of it. I'm sure Nathan Fillion could be one of the nicest most down to Earth people in the world, but my impression of him has always been that he's a smarmy assh*le, so I'm happy to be seeing him in a different light through the character of John Nolan. The cases and crimes in this episode were really well done, and again the way they can go from comedy to drama and back to comedy again seamlessy is to be commended.

Episode 3: "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly"
    Again, can't really fault this one, just preferred the previous episode slightly more, this one definitely leaned into the drama more, so it was missing some of the comedy beats I really liked from the first two episodes, but it's not even a criticism because the drama in this is top notch, just something I observed. Regardless of how I feel about Nathan Fillion as in actor in general, he suits this role really well and to be fair is playing a blinder, which I think needed to be said given the shade I've thrown him in this round.

Final Thoughts:
    Not sure why I never watched more than the Pilot back when I first watched it, I might've just been busy with work and didn't want to invest in any new shows, but gonna keep up with it this time because it definitely exceeded my expectations here ; I didn't think it would be getting the top spot for this round, but it just continued to impress.

Oooooohhhh

Zaph wrote: »
    When you've finished the UK one cee_jay, I can strongly recommend the NZ one. All episodes are on YouTube, it's well up there with the best UK seasons.

Thanks, I had seen that recommended in the Taskmaster thread, so will definitely have a look. I will really miss Greg though, love his teacher moments where he brings someone to the back of the stage for a stern talking to. We only have seasons 9 & 10 to go on UK one.

Necro leads the round and drags himself away from the clutches of the wooden spoon (for now), but it is cee_jay who moves into the overall lead after stealing 2nd place in both the 1st and 3rd rounds...

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    cee_jay 13 6 13 32
    the purple tin 12 9 8 29
    Davis Wrong Tweed 7 14 7 28
    ShaneU 14 1 12 27
    Alfred Borden 10 10 6 26
    JP Liz V1 11 12 2 25
    Sawduck 9 7 9 25
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 24
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 4 22
    Necro 2 4 14 20
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 19
    aaronjennings 8 5 3 16
    Irish Aris 3 8 5 16
    Kolido 4 2 1 7

Tomorrow is Double Trouble Thursday, so will be doing the Born Too Late To Appreciate The Classics Reveal hopefully about 4 or 4.30 tomorrow afternoon ; there were quite a few duplicates in that round, so it'll be a fairly quick reveal I think (depending on how I am with my dramatic pauses ;))
    And then will do the Bam! Right In The Childhood Reveal in the evening about 6.30 or 7, but will confirm the time for Round 4 early afternoon...

Delighted you liked that one LeVar, I wouldn't be gone on Fillion myself but he's very good in The Rookie imo. Really enjoying it and need to get cracking on Season 3 actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

MacGyver was the dogs bollocks in the 80s :cool:
    I think they are going to reboot it as well.

All fair. Like I said in my nomination, even I gave up watching this show in Season 2, my nomination was solely based on that fact that I thought it started well, like three mini-action movies

They probably were like three mini-action movies, but unfortunately, I can find action movies a bit hit and miss, second episode was genuinely class though.

Bit late to the party.

I'm so surprised you liked Horrible Histories!!
    But kinda not surprised at the same time either. :pac:.

Was so worried about putting a show like that in lol.

I was a bit of a serious kid so I don't think I would have appreciated it myself if it was around when I was younger.

I'm a bit of an eejit of an adult now so I get a great buzz out if it.

There's a character that does 'stupid death's'. it's about people dying in stupid/funny ways.
    I always sing the song to the kiddos when someone does something clumsy :D

It was one that I actually thought might be a bit sh*te when you nominated it, but I'm very glad I was proven wrong. :D

The music used in Cold Case was always great, must have been expensive and difficult to get permission for each episode, I still watch repeats, one of Jerry Bruckheimer's better shows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Something aint right here or thats a fine looking Peehs table.

BTW, those foreigners speaking English to themselves annoyed me also :)

Loved the pitch and great reveal as always LeVar, well played Neccers, never heard of The Rookie but sounds good.

It has been rebooted, young Angus MacGyver, I think Burn Notice was more it's modern updated contemporary

Can't argue with that, Taskmaster is one of the best things made for TV in recent years :)
    cee_jay wrote: »
    Zaph wrote: »

I adore Taskmaster, and I second Zaph's sentiment, the New Zealand version is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Going to? They're 4 seasons deep in the reboot, with a fifth on the way ;)

If I can remember my nom for born too late correctly - it's a show I loved, but the first three episodes may be a problem.

I certainly wasn't around when they were airing. It would have been later episodes I loved. So looking forward to hearing what the first shows were like after you having to watch them lol

• Advertisement

In 1st with 14 points is
    Necro

The Rookie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7587890/

4s4Jhlql.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 99.3%

I have never heard of this show. It's going straight on list of things to watch - sounds right up my street.

Advertisement