Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It has been rebooted, young Angus MacGyver, I think Burn Notice was more it's modern updated contemporary
    Going to? They're 4 seasons deep in the reboot, with a fifth on the way ;)

I've got my finger on the pulse of modern day TV as usual :rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    Something aint right here or thats a fine looking Peehs table.

BTW, those foreigners speaking English to themselves annoyed me also :)

Loved the pitch and great reveal as always LeVar, well played Neccers, never heard of The Rookie but sounds good.

Honestly, after the first episode (which was one of the first I watched for the entire round I think) I thought MacGyver had a shot at a podium placement for the round... and then... well, you've already read what happened.

One of these days Kol, we'll agree on some TV Shows or Movies, whether it be later in this Walrus or your Movie Walrus, there must be another The Warriors out there for us to bond over... :D

I actually hadn't noticed until now, but I think the Pitch Meetings nearly always end up being on the 1st or last place shows, which is probably indicative of the fact those are the shows that evoke the biggest reaction out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

It was one that I actually thought might be a bit sh*te when you nominated it, but I'm very glad I was proven wrong. :D

I'm glad you end up liking it because I thought it would be annihilated. Even though its a really fun show.

I don't know a lot of the shows nominated. I'm terrible for adult TV shows & movies :o

But any time a kids movies is due to be released, I'm counting down the days to go the cinema to see it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MacGyver was the dogs bollocks in the 80s :cool:
    I think they are going to reboot it as well.

But what did Mac make with his flick knife and the dogs
    bollocks :D

Castle is Murder She Wrote with an idiotic lead :p I've liked Nathan since Two Guys and a Pizza Place and of course as Captain Mal Tightpants Reynolds

I don't know what it is about him that I can find him really irritating most of the time, but as I said Castle did start growing on me in a Stockholm Syndrome kind of way... It definitely could be a so bad it's good show for me, but probably takes a few more episodes to reach that point...
    Necro wrote: »
    Delighted you liked that one LeVar, I wouldn't be gone on Fillion myself but he's very good in The Rookie imo. Really enjoying it and need to get cracking on Season 3 actually

I think the role just fits him so much better, Nolan is someone you wouldn't mind going for a beer with and just having the bants, whereas Castle is someone I'd cross the road to avoid... :D

• Advertisement

But what did Mac make with his flick knife and the dogs
    bollocks :D
    A mexican bolas to trip up the fleeing baddie :P

I don't know what it is about him that I can find him really irritating most of the time, but as I said Castle did start growing on me in a Stockholm Syndrome kind of way... It definitely could be a so bad it's good show for me, but probably takes a few more episodes to reach that point...

I think the role just fits him so much better, Nolan is someone you wouldn't mind going for a beer with and just having the bants, whereas Castle is someone I'd cross the road to avoid... :D

Eric Winter become the show's mvp for him, Nolan while lead is more part of the ensemble in a more serious role

If I can remember my nom for born too late correctly - it's a show I loved, but the first three episodes may be a problem.

I might be in the same boat.

If I had my time back I'd have probably picked something else. I think the show I picked is brilliant but the stronger episodes probably came later.

I'm blanking on the rest of my picks. Nevermind it will all be a suprise for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Yeah I have no idea what I chose! Excitement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I think the show I picked is brilliant but the stronger episodes probably came later.

Can't say the same about my own nom :D

I'd say it wouldn't be LeVar's Cup of tea at all. I nominated mine for the nostalgia & coz I loved it when I was younger. & I couldn't think of anything else that I watched the would be considered 'before LeVars time'

Can't say the same about my own nom :D

I'd say it wouldn't be LeVar's Cup of tea at all. I nominated mine for the nostalgia & coz I loved it when I was younger. & I couldn't think of anything else that I watched the would be considered 'before LeVars time'

Have you not been paying attention, I'm all over the shop when it comes to my taste in tea...

Its impossible to predict what I'll do...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

LeVar is unpredictable - see the Nathan Fillion episode today :pac:

I was certain I was rock bottom after Castle getting second last!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nice to see some The Burbs love in that reveal. One of my favourite films of all time :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Nice to see some The Burbs love in that reveal. One of my favourite films of all time :)

Its a fantastic film. Must have a watch of it again soon, haven't seen it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Castle! Forgot all about that, haven't watched it in a while. It's definitely one of those shows where Nathan Fillion is less smarmy as it goes on and it does get better. And Bones!! Looooove David Boreanaz, I should have nominated that.

Rikand wrote: »
    Some class characters.
    Rumsfeld is my favourite :cool:

ThatConventionalCaracal-max-1mb.gif

Two reveals happening today, but our first will be Born Too Late to Appreciate The Classics, which shall commence at 4pm

Here's a show that I absolutely love and would've done incredibly well in this round...

Land of the Giants

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062578/
    IMDB wrote:
    A spaceship from Earth crash-lands on an Earth-like planet on which everything, including the human-like inhabitants, is twelve times the size of its counterpart on Earth.

MGbqsx6l.jpg

They used to air repeats of this on Sunday afternoons on Channel 4 during the early '90s, and it could easily have fit into several categories for me as well as this one (Stick To That Tried & Tested Formula, Bam! Right In The Childhood, and Underrated & Underappreciated). Very few people seem to have even heard of it when I mention it to them, which used to shock me because I've been obsessed with Land of the Giants nearly my whole life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Used to love land of the giants, a staple of Sunday mornings back in the 90s,

I doubt Joss Whedon will work again, some allegations coming on about him, I do appreciate still Buffy, Angel and Firefly

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Used to love land of the giants, a staple of Sunday mornings back in the 90s,

The majority of the episodes hold up incredibly well too. I tend to re-watch the entire series every few years.

I doubt Joss Whedon will work again, some allegations coming on about him, I do appreciate still Buffy, Angel and Firefly

I can't stand him as a person, been hearing these things for many years now, they're just getting into the greater public now, but it's been the entertainment industry's worst kept secret is that Whedon is an absolute scumbag.

I can separate the art from the artist though, those shows (Buffy & Angel especially) were a big part of my teen years and always will be. Same as the Harry Potter books were a big part of my childhood, but I find J.K. Rowling to be an abhorrent human being. Throw Graham Linehan in with them too, a horrible excuse of a man.

There were quite a lot of duplicates in this round, so only 10 unique shows, although first place still gets 14 points and last place still gets 1 (unless last place itself is a duplicate of course)...

Kicking off with 6th place in just a moment...

In 6th with 8 points is
    Sawduck

The Twilight Zone

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052520/
    IMDB wrote:
    Ordinary people find themselves in extraordinarily astounding situations, which they each try to solve in a remarkable manner.

9JvBcnOl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 9.3
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.5
    Episode 3 Rating: 5
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 79.3%

Episode 1: "Where Is Everybody?"
    I remember seeing some episodes of the early 2000's reboot of The Twilight Zone which Forest Whitaker hosted, and quite enjoyed them, but had never gone back to watch the original show. My appreciation for Black & White films and tv shows has grown a lot over the years, and I thought this was really well done, and a great performance from Earl Holliman as the main character in this particular story. Looking forward to seeing what the other two episodes here have to offer.

Episode 2: "One For The Angels"
    A simple, but effective and well executed story. The great thing about The Twilight Zone is that they're completely stand-alone and each episode offers something that can be completely different from the previous episode. I find the tone and style of the show very comforting, it's the type of thing I'd be likely to throw on an episode of before going to bed to help calm my thoughts. Just like the last one, really enjoyed it.

Episode 3: "Mr. Denton on Doomsday"
    This episode was a bit of a dud, didn't really care for the story, and it was disappointing compared to the other two. I enjoyed the acting and it wasn't awful or anything, just a bit meh in the grand scheme of things, and ultimately I was indifferent to it.

Final Thoughts:
    It's a shame the last episode dragged this down, because before that I thought this would definitely be in the top three for this round, and with only ten shows in the round there's nowhere to hide, and unfortunately one dodgy episode can lead to a dramatic fall down the rankings. Despite a difficult third outing, I enjoyed the show overall, like the anthology concept, so will certainly continue on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I watched a lot of TTZ recently and found the episodes hit and miss. I had to pick and choose which sounded best. Some are excellent and some a pretty boring.

In 5th with 9 points is
    SineadSpears

Bewitched

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057733/
    IMDB wrote:
    A witch married to an ordinary man cannot resist using her magic powers to solve the problems her family faces.

vm98078l.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.7
    Episode 2 Rating: 8.8
    Episode 3 Rating: 6.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 81.3%

Episode 1: "I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha"
    This was a lot of fun, does a really good job at setting the premise, the special effects are great, there are some good laughs, and Elizabeth Montgomery is fantastic. I have really fond memoires of Bewitched which was a staple of my childhood thanks to repeats on RTÉ throughout the '90s. I remember many a time practicing my nose twitch in the hopes that I'd somehow unleash some magic of my own. A great trip down memory lane.

Episode 2: "Be It Ever So Mortgaged"
    When you remember that this was made in 1964, the special effects are absolutely phenomenal. Preferred it to the first episode just a tiny bit more overall, as I probably got a few more laughs out of this one. I mentioned Elizabeth Montgomery was great in the previous write-up, but also need to commend Dick York and Agnes Moorehead who both have some stand-out moments in this one, after playing second string to Montgomery in the pilot episode.

Episode 3: "It Shouldn't Happen To A Dog"
    It was a fun concept for an episode, but it wasn't particulary funny compared to the previous two. Decent enough, but nothing special or particularly memorable about this one. Endora was barely in this one too which is a shame, because I really liked the dynamic between her and Samantha in the last episode, and was hoping for more of that.

Final Thoughts:
    A nice trip down memory lane, and they're fun and easy episodes to watch, so will continue on with the series going forward. Probably never would've gone back and revisited this had I not gotten the push to do so, so a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There were quite a lot of duplicates in this round
    I'll be very surprised if I'm not one, I really didn't have many oldies I could think of

Meant to say at the start, this is the round where I first started to consciously keep the reviews a good bit shorter, as I thought they were fairly lengthy in the first few rounds, just in case anyone was wondering.

Joined in 7th with 7 points each are
    Electric Nitwit
    and
    JP Liz V1

The A-Team

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084967/
    IMDB wrote:
    Four Vietnam vets, framed for a crime they didn't commit, help the innocent while on the run from the military.

cwze27ol.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 7.4
    Episode 2 Rating: 5.5
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 75.6%

Episode 1: "Mexican Slayride"
    I do of course know of The A-Team and am familiar with elements of it, but I've never watched a single episode of it. They do a great job at introducing all the characters and establishing the premise of the show, and it was a good bit of fun. Found all the characters very enjoyable too. It's 95 minutes long though and it does drag on a bit at times, they could've easily shaved off about 20 to 30 mintues from the run-time and it would've been a much tighter and better paced episode.

Episode 2: "Children of Jamestown"
    Face has a new Face as Dirk Benedict takes over the role from Tim Dunigan. Dunigan made the least impression for me in the previous episode, so this was a welcome re-casting as Benedict fits in better with the rest of the crew. While all the cast are great, I just didn't care much for the story in this one. I also felt it lacked a lot of the humour and wit that I really enjoyed from the previous episode ; there was some, but just not near enough. It was fine overall, but nothing more than that.

Episode 3: "Pros and Cons"
    I love it when a show comes together. This was much more in line with the tone of the pilot episode in terms of humour and story, but with a much tighter pacing, which was my biggest problem with Mexican Slayride. Its all pros and no cons for me on this episode, everything worked really well, all of The A-Team had their moments to shine and do what they do best, and I very much enjoyed it from start to finish. If the majority of the episodes are like this, I can understand why people love the show so much.

Final Thoughts:
    After the first two episodes I probably wouldn't have bothered continuing on any further, but the third episode won me around completely and definitely curious to see if the rest of the series is more in line with that, so will be watching at least a few more episodes to see if it keeps up the quality of Pros and Cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah yeah, I'll take that. I think it does get better but it was probably the pick on my list I was least attached to. Just couldn't think of many oldies!

Advertisement