Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Only noticed Kelleher wasn't even on the bench yesterday. Any reason given for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Augme wrote: »
    So we have the budget to spend money on the last day of the transfer window then why not spend it on the first day? I mean Ben Davies cost a couple of million. If Liverpool can't afford that then we are in massive trouble. We can afford it though, we just took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

I do believe if Matip didn't get injured just before the transfer window we probably wouldn't have signed anyone.

i don't believe they wanted to bother with a CB if Matip had a chance of being fit.

also, the fact that we only spent a couple of million suggests that the budget isn't there for a CB. maybe in the summer. the fact that Kazak is an option to buy, I believe, is so we have time to see if there is hope for Matip without spending £18m.

if Matip is done, and Kazak beds in well, he will be new 3rd choice CB for £18m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Girly Gal wrote: »
    That's the point some of us are making on here, but, getting shot down for. We took the risk in the summer to not bring in a CB, fair enough it was a gamble that under normal circumstances we'd have got away with, but, once Gomez was confirmed out for the season, the priority should have been to get a CB in on January 1.
    Only for Matip's injury I don't think we would have even brought in the 2 lads we did on the last day of the window. As you say if a CB had been signed in early January, they would have had time to bed in before the City game and CL resumes, at least one of them will now have to be thrown in against Leicester and in CL without any proper bedding in period.

I have asked this before and didn't get an answer because there isn't one. Who was available and for what price? We have taken a shot on a 20 year old and a player from PNE. Unless people are saying our scouting team doesn't know what they are doing and wasn't looking for a solution, I think it is safe to say there wasn't a lot of options available to us.

I think we weren't able to bring in a CB before Matip got injured because there was none available and affordable. Once he got injured we started looking for what we could find and we took a risk on the 2 we signed. Let us be honest, if either of the 2 new signings make mistakes they will be slaughtered on here and other social media and people will shout that Henderson and Fabinho needs to go back to CB.

The only thing that will silence the critics will be wins, let us hope we can start next weekend.

Just out of interest I saw a segment where they were discussing Liverpool and all of a sudden we are need of a rebuild and it is not even certain Klopp will be here for it. When the journalist was pressed on what he meant by that, because Klopp has signed until 2024, he declined to say he will be fired or that he will resign. So how he justify this opinion is a mystery to me. I wish they would stop asking Man United based journalists about Liverpool. Off The Ball does the same, asking Daniel Harris or Andy Mitten to comment on other teams than United. It would be like asking The Anfield Wrap contributors what they think of United. It would mean nothing.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i....

if Matip is done, and Kazak beds in well, he will be new 3rd choice CB for £18m.

Surely Matip will recover? He's far from done he's just quite injury prone the last two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Enzokk wrote: »
    I have asked this before and didn't get an answer because there isn't one. Who was available and for what price? We have taken a shot on a 20 year old and a player from PNE. Unless people are saying our scouting team doesn't know what they are doing and wasn't looking for a solution, I think it is safe to say there wasn't a lot of options available to us.

I think we weren't able to bring in a CB before Matip got injured because there was none available and affordable. Once he got injured we started looking for what we could find and we took a risk on the 2 we signed. Let us be honest, if either of the 2 new signings make mistakes they will be slaughtered on here and other social media and people will shout that Henderson and Fabinho needs to go back to CB.

The only thing that will silence the critics will be wins, let us hope we can start next weekend.

Just out of interest I saw a segment where they were discussing Liverpool and all of a sudden we are need of a rebuild and it is not even certain Klopp will be here for it. When the journalist was pressed on what he meant by that, because Klopp has signed until 2024, he declined to say he will be fired or that he will resign. So how he justify this opinion is a mystery to me. I wish they would stop asking Man United based journalists about Liverpool. Off The Ball does the same, asking Daniel Harris or Andy Mitten to comment on other teams than United. It would be like asking The Anfield Wrap contributors what they think of United. It would mean nothing.

How did players suddenly become available when Matip got injured? Matip getting injured doesn't mean that Davies and Kabak suddenly become available, the dog on the street knew we needed a CB, everyone knows Matip's injury record, wasn't he injured in late December/ early January too, so not getting one player in for cover wasn't very smart, in the long run it may well turn out to be a pennywise and a pound foolish if we miss out on CL. I don't think anyone was looking to sign a CB for 20, 30 million plus, all most people were looking for was to get someone on loan, that's exactly what they ended up doing anyway, plus the 2 new lads now have less time to bed in and also in probably our most crucial couple of games of the season.
    The point is from a financial point of view getting the two players we got or similar players wouldn't have cost anymore at the start of January than at the end, but, it would have been more beneficial to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Enzokk wrote: »

That in bold right there is why I feel we will revert to Philips/Hendo combo or Phillips/Fab combo for most of the remainder of the year. A few people are talking on here saying that after yesterday Klopp will now have to play both Fab and Hendo in midfield and either Phillips/Kabak/Davis as the centre halves...But I just think there is no way that is going to happen, Kabak or Davis may get some games but it will be instead of Phillips beside Fab or Hendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The 2 new CBs will play unless they both suck in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We will soon be no longer World Champions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We will soon be no longer World Champions :(

Meh, better to be biggest club in England.

Fulham want £10m for Elliott and Liverpool are offering £750k

It's going to a tribunal tomorrow a year and a half after we bought him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id love to see u buy Grealish this summer
    I think hed be a great addition to us, i used to think he was a nothing player but i feel now when he moves to a top club he will be a proper superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Id love to see u buy Grealish this summer
    I think hed be a great addition to us, i used to think he was a nothing player but i feel now when he moves to a top club he will be a proper superstar

I'm still not convinced. (Maybe it's the scars of many an English player gone before him) but the money we would have to pay would be crazy and I'd worry about his performances with that pressure! We do need a big summer though, in reality we will have to try replace Gini and we HAVE to replace Origi, Ox, Shaq and Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Totally agree, think Matip injury forced them into it.

No way they could have predicted a Matip injury........

also a utd fan, and also not trolling but something that has been puzzling me.

1 player gets injured in matip, and liverpool go and sign 2. you cant fit those 2 into 1 matip hole (:eek:), therefore 1 was already needed prior to matip's injury.

why not do that earlier in the window?

i suppose it could be hedging in case 1 doesn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I seen this video on Facebook from a so called "Liverpool Fan" :mad:

No genuine Liverpool fan would want Klopp to go. So either that fan is trolling or is a Talk Sport employee trying to stir the pot.

Im fuming :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Suarez with another 2 tonight, 16 in 17 league games.

Would have loved to have brought him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fulham want £10m for Elliott and Liverpool are offering £750k

It's going to a tribunal tomorrow a year and a half after we bought him.

Fulham should get every penny of that. They did the hardest part and it looks like he'll be valued at a multiple of that very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

mikeym wrote: »
    I seen this video on Facebook from a so called "Liverpool Fan" :mad:

No genuine Liverpool fan would want Klopp to go. So either that fan is trolling or is a Talk Sport employee trying to stir the pot.

Im fuming :mad:

Moronic extreme voices get amplified by the media because they draw attention and ultimately more money. Ultimately the public enable it by constantly taking the bait instead of ignoring or boycotting all media that engage in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

magma69 wrote: »
    Moronic extreme voices get amplified by the media because they draw attention and ultimately more money. Ultimately the public enable it by constantly taking the bait instead of ignoring or boycotting all media that engage in it.

Spot on. Probably the 10 normal lads vetted by the station before him were deemed not interesting/crazy enough for air, so they go with the madman who is gauranteed to get people riled up and paying attention. Just an extension of the social media-driven circus that surrounds football these days.

Again, no interest in having a normal discussion about the failings of the team or Klopp's tactics, the path forward etc. Too boring, seemingly.

Yer man is the exact type who'd start ranting in the pub, even thought you don't know him, and you'd make your excuses immediately and head off to the jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

magma69 wrote: »

Yup and there was the video of that strange Dublin chap screaming at Alisson when he made the 2nd error yesterday. Why you'd want to watch anyone watch a match is beyond me - it's all contrived nonsense designed with the hope of going viral. There's that idiot who watches United who has the same schtick and Arsenal fan TV - awful, awful stuff all of it.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Spot on. Probably the 10 normal lads vetted by the station before him were deemed not interesting/crazy enough for air, so they go with the madman who is gauranteed to get people riled up and paying attention. Just an extension of the social media-driven circus that surrounds football these days.

Again, no interest in having a normal discussion about the failings of the team or Klopp's tactics, the path forward etc. Too boring, seemingly.

Yer man is the exact type who'd start ranting in the pub, even thought you don't know him, and you'd make your excuses immediately and head off to the jacks.

I thought we were done with discussing Roy Keane for today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

mosstin wrote: »
    Yup and there was the video of that strange Dublin chap screaming at Alisson when he made the 2nd error yesterday. Why you'd want to watch anyone watch a match is beyond me - it's all contrived nonsense designed with the hope of going viral. There's that idiot who watches United who has the same schtick and Arsenal fan TV - awful, awful stuff all of it.

Anfield Agenda. Actually saw that clip (a Utd friend sent it to me... bantering, of course) and thought how sad it was that someone could get that angry watching a football match. I honestly thought it was pathetic. Couldn't give a bollix if he's a Liverpool fan - if football can rile you up that much then it's probably bad for your health and you should find something else in life.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Anfield Agenda. Actually saw that clip (a Utd friend sent it to me... bantering, of course) and thought how sad it was that someone could get that angry watching a football match. I honestly thought it was pathetic. Couldn't give a bollix if he's a Liverpool fan - if football can rile you up that much then it's probably bad for your health and you should find something else in life.

It's clearly coincidental how angry some of these guys when there's a camera recording them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mosstin wrote: »

Don't tell me we have our own Mark Goldbridge. And that he's Irish as well?

In fairness to Goldbridge he can be quite funny at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Kabak/Konate
    Bissouma (to replace Gini)
    Mbappe (to oust Bobby)

And bang we are back

Easy

Just looked at our fixtures and we should be okay. We are playing Leicester at 12h30 on Saturday but no midweek fixture for us and Leicester is playing Brighton on Wednesday in the FA Cup.

Then we play Tuesday in Hungary against Leipzig and Everton on Saturday at 17h30. Everton are playing Spurs tomorrow night, then Fulham Saturday and then City on Wednesday and us the following Saturday.

We should be winning these 2 games as the teams we are playing against aren't better than us, even if we play Henderson and Fabinho at CB, and they will be playing a heavier schedule before we meet. If we cannot up our performance then there is a serious problem within the team. I am confident we will see a better performance like we saw when we played Tottenham and West Ham away.

Edit to add: Improved performances doesn't always lead to wins, but it should unless you are unlucky if the opposition keeper has a world class game or a deflected pass leads to a goal for the other team. But you cannot control that, you can only control your own performance and we need to improve ours to win back confidence.

Raphinha please.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Kabak/Konate
    Bissouma (to replace Gini)
    Mbappe (to oust Bobby)

And bang we are back

Easy

I think even if we get Mbappe ( which I don't think we will) we need a proper CF , even if its young up and comer ,Like proper number 9 type ,

Suarez with another 2 tonight, 16 in 17 league games.

Would have loved to have brought him back

One of the best strikers the game has ever seen , in the last 10 years only Messi and Ronaaldo are ahead of him a

i'll never not love Luis Suarez.

As much as what Klopp said last year when we won the title, that it was built on Steven Gerrard's back, was absolutely, 100% true, I don't think we ultimately win the title without Suarez ever coming to the club.

he genuinely got us believing, the fans believing, and rivals believing, that we could win a title again. he brought some fear and respect back to the place.

in 2009 under Rafa, we hoped we could do it, and we were in a race, but I don't think we really believed we were better than that Utd team, despite the 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Suarez's influence in 13/14 actually made me believe that we were arguably the best team, and for one reason - because we had the best player in the League, by a distance. and not only that, but at that point, he was a peer to Ronaldo and Messi. that's how incredible he was.

he set the ball rolling.

an absolute animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

an absolute animal.

He was that..but probably the best player i have seen play for Liverpool. And im suffering, i mean supporting since 1980:eek:

Suarez's influence in 13/14 actually made me believe that we were arguably the best team,............

We were nearly the best team, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge as a front 3 ........ Gerrard in the role just ahead of defence. GK and defence was shakey enough unfortunately.

League was won on 86 pts, we'd 84, chelsea 3rd on 82 and Arsenal 4th on 79........ was a great PL that year for all really accept Utd fans.

As much as what Klopp said last year when we won the title, that it was built on Steven Gerrard's back, was absolutely, 100% true, I don't think we ultimately win the title without Suarez ever coming to the club.

he genuinely got us believing, the fans believing, and rivals believing, that we could win a title again. he brought some fear and respect back to the place.

in 2009 under Rafa, we hoped we could do it, and we were in a race, but I don't think we really believed we were better than that Utd team, despite the 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Suarez's influence in 13/14 actually made me believe that we were arguably the best team, and for one reason - because we had the best player in the League, by a distance. and not only that, but at that point, he was a peer to Ronaldo and Messi. that's how incredible he was.

he set the ball rolling.

an absolute animal.

Suarez's is one of those players who's style and personality effected the whole team,
    Its rare to have such a skilful attacker who is such a warrior ,
    To me he was like a Wayne Rooney on steroids ,

The street footballer with an almost dangerous passion for wining games of football .
    Always remember Gerrard saying in his first training session at the club he wanted to fight Skrtel over a throw in he wasn't given :D

Augeo wrote: »
    We were nearly the best team, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge as a front 3 ........ Gerrard in the role just ahead of defence. GK and defence was shakey enough unfortunately.

League was won on 86 pts, we'd 84, chelsea 3rd on 82 and Arsenal 4th on 79........ was a great PL that year for all really accept Utd fans.

man for man, we were not better than City.

and Gerrard didn't fill me with confidence in that role, despite his numbers.

Suarez was the reason for that charge.

man for man, we were not better than City.

and Gerrard didn't fill me with confidence in that role, despite his numbers.

Suarez was the reason for that charge.

Yeah, I know we weren't better than City :)
    Augeo wrote: »
    We were nearly the best team.............

Marcia: Real Madrid suspect that Raphael Varane does not want to renew his contract which expires in 2022.If,in the next few weeks, he reveal his intentions to run his contract down Real Madrid will look to find a buyer for him in the summer to avoid losing him for free the following year.

Id love to see him with big Virg

• Advertisement

I hope the only training they are doing this week is patterns of play and systems for Kabak & Davies to get up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

he set the ball rolling.

an absolute animal.

I'm still convinced that Suarez that season was the best season I ever saw from a footballer in my life. He was literally unplayable. He would score from anywhere and glide past anyone like they're not there. I could watch his season highlights on repeat.

I think Sturridge however doesn't get enough credit due to being so injury prone for Liverpool but I think he was genuinely world class during 13/14 season while Suarez was in a class of his own. He was robbed of a balon dor because of his biting and racist incident's.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm still convinced that Suarez that season was the best season I ever saw from a footballer in my life. He was literally unplayable. He would score from anywhere and glide past anyone like they're not there. I could watch his season highlights on repeat.

people always talk about the Norwich game for good reason - what with the 4 world class goals.

but i'll never forget his performance at White Hart Lane as captain.

it was comically brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

people always talk about the Norwich game for good reason - what with the 4 world class goals.

but i'll never forget his performance at White Hart Lane as captain.

it was comically brilliant.

With John Cafu Flannagan scoring a worldie!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I'd have Suarez just behind Henry in 03/04 and Ronaldo in 07/08 as best premier league seasons individually.

The best performance I've ever seen him put was the Arsenal game where we won 5-1, amazing he didn't score in that game

• Advertisement

Easy to forget Salah's first season was maybe the greatest first season of any Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'd have Suarez just behind Henry in 03/04 and Ronaldo in 07/08 as best premier league seasons individually.

The best performance I've ever seen him put was the Arsenal game where we won 5-1, amazing he didn't score in that game

Hit a cracker of a half volley against the post though.

That game was absolutely nuts. We could've been 6/7 nil up at half time.

Easy to forget Salah's first season was maybe the greatest first season of any Liverpool player.

Its scary to think Mo was somewhat wasteful with chances,
    He could have had Messi like figures that season ,

Mo's number are crazy still

I actually feel like he needs a summer off he hasn't got a proper break since the injury Ramos gave him ,

Glico Man wrote: »
    Hit a cracker of a half volley against the post though.

That game was absolutely nuts. We could've been 6/7 nil up at half time.

How did Kolo miss the rebound

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

MarkY91 wrote: »
    He was robbed of a balon dor because of his biting and racist incident's.

ah here. He didn't kick a ball for nearly 5 months because of his own stupidty in the world cup. Arguably the best player in the world for half the year, mind but he wasn't robbed of anything.

Not being in the nominees or top 20 however was a robbery and purely motivated by his lets say challenging behaviour.

I'd wonder how much better off would Barca be this season if they'd sold messi and kept Suarez given the performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Weepsie wrote: »
    ah here. He didn't kick a ball for nearly 5 months because of his own stupidty in the world cup. Arguably the best player in the world for half the year, mind but he wasn't robbed of anything.

Not being in the nominees or top 20 however was a robbery and purely motivated by his lets say challenging behaviour.

I'd wonder how much better off would Barca be this season if they'd sold messi and kept Suarez given the performances.

The performances of Messi and Ronaldo in those seasons were immense too, with more goals, so was quite easy to not think about controversial Suarez.

I think he should’ve won it in 15/16 though, when he outperformed both. Should have at least come second to Ronaldo, who in fairness did win a Euro’s that year. Instead Suarez finished a very distant 4th.

I see Man City's opponents in the next round has made it through, well done Bournemouth! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I got the new Liverpool jersey from Elverys in the post, I have to say I'm really not gone on the neck.

77391941xlarge.jpg?sw=530

Could they not have done a simple V neck collar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I got the new Liverpool jersey from Elverys in the post, I have to say I'm really not gone on the neck.

Could they not have done a simple V neck collar?

I went for the away jersey for that reason, I thought it was a ridiculous decision to make a jersey with a double sided v neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Mormank wrote:
    I would also love for us to sign Sule, championship manager told me a long time that he will become a beast of a defender. It has also told me that Youri Tielemans of Anderlecht, Corentin Tolisso of Lyon and Riechedly Bazoer of Ajax will all grace the top levels of sport both internationally and at club level. It would be an interesting experiment if someone were to bookmark this post to be revisited in 5 years or so. I would be willing to bet that at least 3 if not all of these players will play for one of Europe's biggest clubs in their careers. Could shut up all those Champ/Football manager haters up at least.

Just out of sheer boredom at the time, and a bit of interest too I suppose, I bookmarked this post from Mormank almost 5 years ago here.

Just looking back at the careers of those 4 players named.

Sule, moved from Hoffenheim to Bayern Munich in 2017 for a fee of £18 million. Since this post above was made, he's won the Bundesliga 3 times, the Champions League and played 28 times for Germany. Fair to say, he's lived up to his promise in FM.

Tielemans, moved from Anderlecht to Monaco for €25 million euro in 2017 and spent 2 years at the French club, becoming a mainstay in the Belgium national team and helped them to 3rd place at the World Cup in 2018. He has since moved to Leicester City for £40 million and is one of their key players. I would add him to the pile of successful FM scouting.

Tolisso, moved from Lyon to Bayern the year after this post was made for €41.5 million, again in 2017. Like Sule above, he's won the Bundesliga 3 times, the Champions League and was part of the French side that won the World Cup in 2018. Featured heavily in his first season, but has found appearances hard to come by at the German giants. Still, due to his participation in the victories and successes of his teams, I would find it hard not to label him a success as well.

Bazoer Probably one of the more interesting stories. He had such a promising start to his career at Ajax. Made his Dutch national team debut before moving to Wolfsburg for €12 million. Had some trouble there, the manager was sacked a month after he arrived and the team themselves finished in 16th as he made 12 appearances. They managed to stave off relegation winning the play-offs 2-0 though he himself didn't play. The next season was much the same, 2 managerial sackings and again in the relegation play-offs while he made a similar number of appearances. Loaned off to Porto the next season and barely played due to attitude and injury issues, but went to Utrecht in the January window and had a new lease of life with 3 goals in 13 games. He eventually moved to Vitesse in the summer 2019, made his debut against his old club Ajax, scored a goal and then got sent off. He's added a further 4 goals to his tally and played 38 games in total as he tries to resurrect his career at the age of just 24. I'll have to hold him in the non-success pile of FM scouting for the moment, but he has time to turn it around.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. I'm currently struggling with lack of sleep so thought it might have been interesting in some way shape or form for some...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement