Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

SteM wrote: »
    I remember it getting brought up in Moyes' season at United for sure.

Also I think after Leicester it was brought up it is not some mysterious thing just to knock Liverpool.

Jebus this place has come bad in the last week from people wanting us to do one on Everton players to know conspiracies about people wanting to knock us. This thread used to laugh at other threads writing stuff like this. Need to step away and lie down for a while people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Surely time to admit that Phillips is our first-choice centre half until someone better gets fit, and stick with him for a run of games. I'm not at all convinced that dropping Kabak into a struggling team is going to help anything. At least Phillips is aware of our system and he's been pretty solid since he came into the team.

I'd go with Phillips and Davies against Sheff United and have Fabinho shielding them at 6. There's little to lose at this stage.

I would go with Kabak and Philips cb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Surely time to admit that Phillips is our first-choice centre half until someone better gets fit, and stick with him for a run of games. I'm not at all convinced that dropping Kabak into a struggling team is going to help anything. At least Phillips is aware of our system and he's been pretty solid since he came into the team.

I'd go with Phillips and Davies against Sheff United and have Fabinho shielding them at 6. There's little to lose at this stage.

I agree with you but what if Fabinho isn't available? Same pair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hasenhuttl saying over the weekend that on the ball Minamino is great however is off the ball work isn’t up to scratch yet and he needs to improve that area of his game.

That might be one of the reasons he wasn’t getting as much game time as expected Klopp likes players to work off the ball.

So a loan deal under a manger who expects the same work ethic from players like Klopp gives everyone a good look to see can he do it in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The 'worst title defence ever' is not a new discussion. It came up for United 13/14, Chelsea 15/16 and Leicester 16/17.

We are absolutely in that discussion.

The 'worst champions' narrative is quite new though. But maybe I'm wrong.

Utd 2013/14 had appointed Moyes.
    Chelsea 2015/16 was Mourinho's downward spiral.
    Leicester were an anomaly, so nobody expected it to continue.

Our issue is mainly injuries, and people don't like the injury reason. It's lazily labelled as an excuse, then people lazily say 'well every team has injury problems' ignoring all context and particular severity, affecting particular positions on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

SlickRic wrote: »
    The 'worst title defence ever' is not a new discussion. It came up for United 13/14, Chelsea 15/16 and Leicester 16/17.

Our issue is mainly injuries, and people don't like the injury reason. It's lazily labelled as an excuse, then people lazily say 'well every team has injury problems' ignoring all context and particular severity, affecting particular positions on the pitch.

This. Saw a tweet yesterday form a Man Utd fan about how they were missing 3 midfielders and still won and didn't whinge about it, yes one game, well done!

Also alot of neutrals on here love trying to downplay the injuries and remembering back the glory days of the Fergie era that one time Utd had to play midfielders in defence because obviously they're comparable scenarios to having defenders pick up season ending injuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

BT brought that worst title defence up currently we are not close to worst,

They put the points drop off after 25 games up so we are the worst with -33 Leicester are next with -32
    But there clever buggers they never mentioned that we won the title with 99 points
    Leicester won it with 81 are - 32 m Chelsea won it with 87 are -29
    So basic maths will tell you we are not as badly off points wise as them two,

Leicester finished with 47 points in total so we need 8 points and we are not the worst ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Date Team TV
    4th Chelsea Sky Sports
    7th Fulham Sky Sports
    10th RB Leipzig (GER) BT Sport
    15th Wolves (a) Sky Sports

4 games in 11 days and then the rest of the month off

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Just on this bit, I don't entirely agree. I think it's fair to say we all know that injuries, particularly to the centre back positions, have been a major factor in our downward spiral this season. Every Liverpool fan knows it and any neutral that isn't trolling knows it. But I get frustrated when I come on to the thread and all the discussion is focused on is injuries and VAR, over and over and over. It has been overdone at this stage and that's why I believe it has invited a bit of trolling or micky taking from other fans. Some posters here were quite happy to take the piss out of Ole, Maguire etc only this very season and in fact continue to do it. You give it out then you also invite it when things aren't going well (not referencing you or any poster in particular).

I would prefer if there was some discussion here on things the club, the management and players can control rather than what we can't. There is little analysis of performances, discussion about tactics, formations and other reasons for our poor form and ways to improve it on here. The impact of the injuries we have suffered has been done to death imo and there are plenty of good articles out there on the impact they have had. I come on to the thread each day, have a quick read then I just think 'nah, cba' when it's the same daily dose of injuries, VAR and twitter links and references to ridiculous transfer rumours like whether we are in for Mbappe etc.

We started this season how we finished last season...... sort of a not really arsed vibe off the performances........ VVD injury and other CB injuries and other injures than got us to the sh1tshow we've seen for 2021 where we seem unable to adjust tactics or approach game by game.

• Advertisement

Date Team TV
    4th Chelsea Sky Sports
    7th Fulham Sky Sports
    10th RB Leipzig (GER) BT Sport
    15th Wolves (a) Sky Sports

4 games in 11 days and then the rest of the month off

Henderson injury is an absolute c*nt ,
    We should beat Sheffield United this weekend ,

Then going into Chelsea at home with Fab back and Hendo in midfield I would have fancied us now ,I fear a5th home lose in a row,

We need to beat Chelsea for nay hope of top 4, don't care how its done we just need the 3 points

Also I don't care if we do have the worst title defence, especially in the current circumstances.

There is this weird conclusion made that it means we're shít champions. As if it negates the side's previous brilliance.

Here's a discussion.

4 Utd teams, plus the great Arsenal 98 team have worse points totals than that Leicester team had in winning the title. Do we ever have the gall to call any of them shít champions? Obviously not. But is points total during a season you win it a more accurate reflection of how good a champion is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ya, worst title defence is still a title defence. Haters Gotta hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I suppose the one positive im taking from this whole debacle, is that it will be way easier to get tickets for games next year if this keeps up.

Just on this bit, I don't entirely agree. I think it's fair to say we all know that injuries, particularly to the centre back positions, have been a major factor in our downward spiral this season. Every Liverpool fan knows it and any neutral that isn't trolling knows it. But I get frustrated when I come on to the thread and all the discussion is focused on is injuries and VAR, over and over and over. It has been overdone at this stage and that's why I believe it has invited a bit of trolling or micky taking from other fans. Some posters here were quite happy to take the piss out of Ole, Maguire etc only this very season and in fact continue to do it. You give it out then you also invite it when things aren't going well (not referencing you or any poster in particular).

I would prefer if there was some discussion here on things the club, the management and players can control rather than what we can't. There is little analysis of performances, discussion about tactics, formations and other reasons for our poor form and ways to improve it on here. The impact of the injuries we have suffered has been done to death imo and there are plenty of good articles out there on the impact they have had. I come on to the thread each day, have a quick read then I just think 'nah, cba' when it's the same daily dose of injuries, VAR and twitter links and references to ridiculous transfer rumours like whether we are in for Mbappe etc.

i think it's unfair to say that there isn't discussion about other things.

I agree, VAR should not be talked about in the bigger context of how we're doing. but that doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be mentioned in any context. just don't use it as an excuse for the crap performances. there is no way Saturday's VAR call, and the way the referee handled it, wasn't going to be talked about. but dozens of people in here were at pains to stress that the VAR and refereeing is not an excuse for losing, because we deserved the loss.

people take the píss out of Maguire because he's the most expensive defender on the planet, and Liverpool had the píss ripped out them for buying VVD for £75m. and Liverpool and Utd fans can't help themselves. i think most of the píss taking out of Ole has stopped though, certainly since our woes began in earnest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

If there is any unrest in that dressing room over Klopp then said players will be gone before Klopp is gone and that's the way it should be...

Correct.

That's were spurs went wrong. Binned the best manager they've had in mamy a year and still struggling is the problem was with the squad not the fella managing.

It's easier to bin a manager than change a squad so it's what happens more often than not but Poch deserved a chance to rebuild that squad and Jurgen does too.

It's also very hard to judge where the problems actually are when you have so many injury issues over a season but the signs were dodgy before the injurys hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I just read James Pearce's article this morning on the Athletic...without going into the nitty gritty of it, he is basically outlining that Firminho needs to replaced this summer along with some unnamed fan favorites and that Klopp needs to rebuild a new squad if he wants to land a 2nd title as Liverpool manager.! James Pearce is usually very reserved and never really goes on the attack, the derby loss must have hit him hard........

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I suppose the one positive im taking from this whole debacle, is that it will be way easier to get tickets for games next year if this keeps up.

No chance next season will be limited capacity i say you are looking at 2022-23 season before a full ground

.G. wrote: »
    Correct.

That's were spurs went wrong. Binned the best manager they've had in mamy a year and still struggling is the problem was with the squad not the fella managing.

It's easier to bin a manager than change a squad so it's what happens more often than not but Poch deserved a chance to rebuild that squad and Jurgen does too.

It's also very hard to judge where the problems actually are when you have so many injury issues over a season but the signs were dodgy before the injurys hit.

Not to get drawn on this point again but yes, any players that have an issue with Klopp should be moved on for that exact reason!! Spurs made a complete b##ls of it by offing Poch to keep their disgruntled players happy. Now they are goosed, Mourinho will be gone in the summer but who do they replace him with???

Who the hell would we attempt to replace Klopp with???? If Klopp goes we are going to be in deep s##te....

Anyone think we should try to change the formation ?
    We seem to have just done the same thing over and over since the 1st of January and its not working ,
    I understand there injuries which may prevent it but surley we can't just keep doing it,

Summer will tell a lot about the owners ,Gini ,OX,Shaq ,Origi & Milner all need replacing , Plus a CB ,& a CF
    Will they hand Klopp the cash to do it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Not to get drawn on this point again but yes, any players that have an issue with Klopp should be moved on for that exact reason!! Spurs made a complete b##ls of it by offing Poch to keep their disgruntled players happy. Now they are goosed, Mourinho will be gone in the summer but who do they replace him with???

Who the hell would we attempt to replace Klopp with???? If Klopp goes we are going to be in deep s##te....

Yeah sorry, I don't visit too often cos I can't be arsed with wind ups and negativity so when I do visit I respond to stuff that was probably said days ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

People need to calm down. We have just had two of the best seasons in the club's history. This season is turning into a disaster, but it's not the end of the world. Klopp has earned time to put it right.

The team has been ravaged by injuries, which have completely derailed the season. That is absolutely clear. We should have started the season with four, rather than three, established centre-backs. And we should have bought a quality centre back on January 1 to address the issue. In a non-pandemic season, this would have happened. But we can't change the past now.

It's easy to say that Klopp should have changed tactics due to the injuries, but we have actually looked good in a lot of games but have failed to finish chances, while sloppy defending has cost us points. We haven't had a lot of luck.

The three main issues in the team are:

1/ The injury crisis at CB
    2/ The crisis at CM by playing our best midfielders at CB
    3/ Our inability to finish chances

We can't do anything about the first point now. When Henderson and Fabinho are back they should play in CM. It might mean we concede more goals, but it's the least worst option. In relation to number 3, Jota needs to start instead of Firmino as soon as he's back. Firmino's form has declined rapidly over the last 18 months to the point that he cannot even seem to generate any power or accuracy in his shooting. His goal threat is absolutely minimal and he doesn't create as much as he used to, as much as I love the guy.

This season is a write-off. We need to secure top four, give the Champions League a good effort and then regroup in the summer with some key signings.

We seem to have just done the same thing over and over since the 1st of January and its not working ,
    I understand there injuries which may prevent it but surley we can't just keep doing it,

Summer will tell a lot about the owners ,Gini ,OX,Shaq ,Origi & Milner all need replacing , Plus a CB ,& a CF

This summer is going to tell a lot, if Klopp is not backed or doesn't get the players he wants then next year might not bear a lot of fruit. The drop off this season might send alarm bells ringing to the owners that they need to re-invest but without CL football next season, the money hit and the lack of appeal to top players might make the process difficult...I'd be more worried about Salah if we don't have Cl football next year, the sharks are already lurking there as we have seen from some comments in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

On form, Mane isn't good enough for League of Ireland.... It's alarming how poor he has been over the last few months.

Tusky wrote: »
    People need to calm down. We have just had two of the best seasons in the club's history. This season is turning into a disaster, but it's not the end of the world. Klopp has earned time to put it right.

The team has been ravaged by injuries, which have completely derailed the season. That is absolutely clear. We should have started the season with four, rather than three, established centre-backs. And we should have bought a quality centre back on January 1 to address the issue. In a non-pandemic season, this would have happened. But we can't change the past now.

It's easy to say that Klopp should have changed tactics due to the injuries, but we have actually looked good in a lot of games but have failed to finish chances, while sloppy defending has cost us points. We haven't had a lot of luck.

We can't do anything about the first point now. When Henderson and Fabinho are back they should play in CM. It might mean we concede more goals, but it's the least worst option. In relation to number 3, Jota needs to start instead of Firmino as soon as he's back. Firmino's form has declined rapidly over the last 18 months to the point that he cannot even seem to generate any power or accuracy in his shooting. His goal threat is absolutely minimal and he doesn't create as much as he used to, as much as I love the guy.

This season is a write-off. We need to secure top four, give the Champions League a good effort and then regroup in the summer with some key signings.

The worry isn't really about this season but more about the effects of this season going forward

It could be the beginning of the end of the manger & a great period for the club ,

What about the players ?? will some want out with no champions league football probably not but the following season will have huge pressure to get top 4,

What about singings , who buys into the project if we are a Europa league side ,

The worry isn't really about this season but more about the effects of this season going forward

It could be the beginning of the end of the manger & a great period for the club ,

What about the players ?? will some want out with no champions league football probably not but the following season will have huge pressure to get top 4,

What about singings , who buys into the project if we are a Europa league side ,

Well, you're worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Top four is still within our grasp. It's crucial we get it and there's no reason why we shouldn't. This is still the best Liverpool squad in living memory. We are five points off fourth and nine off second. We just need a decent run of form between now and end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think we definitely need to abandon this high defensive line that Klopp likes for a bit, to accommodate the players available. Phillips/Kabak aren't exactly Joe Gomez in terms of pace.

Well, you're worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Top four is still within our grasp. It's crucial we get it and there's no reason why we shouldn't. This is still the best Liverpool squad in living memory. We are five points off fourth and nine off second. We just need a decent run of form between now and end of the season.

Jota could literally be a game changer. His goals before injury masked over the poor form... Goal chances are being created, but not being taken. If he chips in with 4/5 goals down the stretch I think they'll get 4th.

What's left of the squad don't seem up for a fight for top4.
    Folk reckon 66 pts might get top4, we'd need a 2ppg run over 13 games for that. Well within our capabilities one would imagine but will they do it? Highly doubtful IMO.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    What's left of the squad don't seem up for a fight for top4.
    Folk reckon 66 pts might get top4, we'd need a 2ppg run over 13 games for that. Well within our capabilities one would imagine but will they do it? Highly doubtful IMO.

I don't see a lack of fight in the team. I see players working hard but struggling. If we don't make top four it won't be due to a lack of fight.

I dunno.... Plenty of possession but doing next to fnck all with it.... Half of them on any gameday seem disinterested or something. No zing to things. It's like they are buying into the "lots of injuries", "var is awful", "we've no luck" etc etc
    Not my idea of working hard.
    But then, it was like that tail end of last season and the start if this one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'm amazed the bookies still have us around 5/6 in most books to make top 4, I'd honestly say it's about 10/1 at this stage, obv that's why I'm not a bookie but still I just can't see it happening. 4 home defeats in a row, can't buy a goal at Anfield, games like Leicester recently where we dominate for 75mins and then implode, Hendo going off injured in the Derby, you know there will be more injuries incoming too, just don't see us being able to go on a run to secure top 4, hope I'm wrong obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Actually think the fanbase in the majority has stayed quite calm all things considered.

The performance against Everton was pathetic.

Imagine Milner was playing saturday man & ball would have been taken.
    We win no 50/50 challenges all over the pitch.

And we get done for pace as well most games as well.

I dont even see players getting angry bar Henderson. We will badly lack leadership with Henderson out.
    We have the look of a side feeling sorry for ourselves rather than seem angry at the situation & determined to turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

MD1990 wrote: »
    Actually think the fanbase in the majority has stayed quite calm all things considered.

The performance against Everton was pathetic.

Imagine Milner was playing saturday man & ball would have been taken.
    We win no 50/50 challenges all over the pitch.

And we get done for pace as well most games as well.

I dont even see players getting angry bar Henderson. We will badly lack leadership with Henderson out.
    We have the look of a side feeling sorry for ourselves rather than seem angry at the situation & determined to turn it around.

That's what I refer to as not working hard.
    Looks like they've the same attitude as folk in here, seasons a write off. Dunno what the teams top4 thoughts are. They don't look bothered IMO.

I'm saying that quite calmly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

robwen wrote: »

Chris Bascombe there is a blast from the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Augeo wrote: »
    That's what I refer to as not working hard.
    Looks like they've the same attitude as folk in here, seasons a write off. Dunno what the teams top4 thoughts are. They don't look bothered IMO.

I'm saying that quite calmly.

they are trying but having no confidence it comes across like this.

We also badly lack pace in our squad.

Shaqiri,Thiago(superb player),Minamino,Williams,Neco Williams,Phillips,Kabak,Firmino,Keita, even Trent gets beaten 1v1 alot but is not slow

These all lack pace in our squad.
    Any player signing in the summer has to be up to he required level in terms of pace & power.
    Even Mane looks abit slower now.

Thiago alongside some powerful midfield players will be superb as well. He is being scapegoated by some media.

These obviously need technical ability too but we need more pace in our team & squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    On form, Mane isn't good enough for League of Ireland.... It's alarming how poor he has been over the last few months.

Hyperbole at its finest...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

MD1990 wrote: »
    they are trying but having no confidence it comes across like this.

We also badly lack pace in our squad.

Shaqiri,Thiago(superb player),Minamino,Williams,Neco Williams,Phillips,Kabak,Firmino,Keita, even Trent gets beaten 1v1 alot but is not slow

These all lack pace in our squad.
    Any player signing in the summer has to be up to he required level in terms of pace & power.
    Even Mane looks abit slower now.

Thiago alongside some powerful midfield players will be superb as well. He is being scapegoated by some media.

These obviously need technical ability too but we need more pace in our team & squad.

I think a change of system is needed. Our 3 typical forward players, particularly Salah and Mane excel when we play a little off the cuff, when we force a mistake or get a turnover high up the pitch and get the opposition immediately scrambling back towards their own goal. The Leipzig game aside, we have not been able to generate chances this way lately. Teams are happy to stay organized and compact in defence and are making sure they don't get caught out in possession. Teams are happy to concede possession to us knowing we are doing **** all with it. Mane and Salah imo do not have good enough technical ability to work chances, work space or play intricate passes in tight spaces against organized defences. Bobby does but as we all know his form has dropped off a cliff. He doesn't work space for Salah and Mane to operate in anymore. I think Jota's return will improve this area but I think the days of relying on the press and quick attacks from turnovers and capitalizing on mistakes is a thing of the past. You can guarantee that every team in the league bar City will play the low block unless we start offering something else in attack.

Personally I would like us to try a 4-2-3-1. I think we need to start playing with some width again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool needs to push up at least one midfielder into a sort of Lampard/Gerrard role, threaded passes, edge of the box, late runs onto cutbacks. If that means keeping one full back deeper at a given moment so be it.

GK
    FB CB CB FB
    ----DM
    -CM--CM
    ----AM
    -'FW--FW

Or go 4-2-3-1 with one of the 2 being free to roam plugging gaps and the full backs both allowed to get up pitch in unison.

Play one of Mane/Salah central and Jota on left.

• Advertisement

I think a change of system is needed. Our 3 typical forward players, particularly Salah and Mane excel when we play a little off the cuff, when we force a mistake or get a turnover high up the pitch and get the opposition immediately scrambling back towards their own goal. The Leipzig game aside, we have not been able to generate chances this way lately. Teams are happy to stay organized and compact in defence and are making sure they don't get caught out in possession. Teams are happy to concede possession to us knowing we are doing **** all with it. Mane and Salah imo do not have good enough technical ability to work chances, work space or play intricate passes in tight spaces against organized defences. Bobby does but as we all know his form has dropped off a cliff. He doesn't work space for Salah and Mane to operate in anymore. I think Jota's return will improve this area but I think the days of relying on the press and quick attacks from turnovers and capitalizing on mistakes is a thing of the past. You can guarantee that every team in the league bar City will play the low block unless we start offering something else in attack.

Personally I would like us to try a 4-2-3-1. I think we need to start playing with some width again.

The guardian podcast was speaking about this a while back in relation to Mane and Salah. Like you pointed out, neither Salah or Mane don't have the quick 1 touch and pass / give and go technical ability of other top front men in the league. Their strength is getting the ball turning opponents and running hard and direct at defenses...The reality is they will loss the ball 4 out of 5 times when playing like this, but the difference is, particularly last year we were camped in the oppositions half so every time they lost the ball they had it back at their feel within a minute or two and could try again. Eventfully defenses just tired of the constant threats and the chances and goals came (another reason why we scored so many really late goals the last couple of seasons)!

But now because our defensive is now so make shift and our workman like midfield has been ripped apart we are not recycling the ball near enough and when we do its further back towards our own goal which gives the opposition loads of time to reset.

The guardian podcast was speaking about this a while back in relation to Mane and Salah. Like you pointed out, neither Salah or Mane don't have the quick 1 touch and pass / give and go technical ability of other top front men in the league. Their strength is getting the ball turning opponents and running hard and direct at defenses...The reality is they will loss the ball 4 out of 5 times when playing like this, but the difference is, particularly last year we were camped in the oppositions half so every time they lost the ball they had it back at their feel within a minute or two and could try again. Eventfully defenses just tired of the constant threats and the chances and goals came (another reason why we scored so many really late goals the last couple of seasons)!

But now because our defensive is now so make shift and our workman like midfield has been ripped apart we are not recycling the ball near enough and when we do its further back towards our own goal which gives the opposition loads of time to reset.

I think all that has been obvious for months now. Fair play to the experts on that podcast for spotting it.

One of the other main casualties are the FBs. They were the main attacking outlets but have been more or less nullified now

I think all that has been obvious for months now. Fair play to the experts on that podcast for spotting it.

One of the other main casualties are the FBs. They were the main attacking outlets but have been more or less nullified now

To be fair to the lads on the guardian, this was around the xmas period and they were speaking about this being a potential problem well before the sh##t show that has been the last 7 weeks...

Fabhino needs to put into the base of the midfield ASAP especially for Prem games,

Its been a while since he has played there but once he gets going he will give Thiago a platform ,The 3rd midfielders id go for Keita again because he is more aggressive in closing down , Gini & Jones to come in and out,

CB we need to just go with two CB's now in the league nothing to lose,

Strangely I think in Champions league I'd be a bot more conservative and drop Fab back CB as we won't miss him in the middle as much,

Also Jota in for Bobby when he is match fit ,

Henderson getting injured just as the other 3 are starting to look fit is soooooo annoying ,

This is another knock on effect of everything going to pot further back in the field. Now we had defensive sitting deep and packing the box, very hard to find targets on crosses when the opposition has 8 players + in the box. I think is was the Southampton game where TAA attempted 21 crosses and didn't find a Liverpool player with 1 of them. Now he got slated after that game and maybe rightly so, but were all of them terrible crosses or was he just playing the system, been put in the position to cross but there was simply too many defenders in the box!!

Since then we have cooled down on cross attempts quite a bit compared to what we were at during our peak but its still not preventing opposition teams from packing the box. Now we get a never ending cycle of the ball going wide to either TAA or Robertson, they realise the cross ain't on and its recycled back to Gini or Thiago or else try to play a inside pass to Mane or Salah with the ball been turned over eventaully due to the number of defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I seem to remember the front three being way more fluid previously. Switching wings from time to time, or going down the centre. Now it all seems formulaic. Mo down the right, Mane down the left, Bobby dropping deep in the middle. Loads of sideways passes that go no where and crosses that come to nothing. We don't have John Toshack anymore!
    A formation change could be beneficial for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Fake Liverpool Supporter known as David rings in again to Talksport.

He wants Klopp out but cant think of a manager to replace him next season.

mikeym wrote: »
    The Fake Liverpool Supporter known as David rings in again to Talksport.

He wants Klopp out but cant think of a manager to replace him next season.

Why give Talksport more clicks ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

More fake fans. Surprised at his level of English. Usually fake Liverpool supporters have very poor English.

I know plenty of Liverpool fans and not one of them has ever said Klopp out during this period. Maybe some are a bit bemused that Klopp has sacrificed midfield for defence, and in doing so unbalanced the whole team, but in fairness every main defence starter is injured, even midfield players brought into defence are injured.

I remain 1000% behind Klopp. Thanks to him, Liverpool are the most successful club in the England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rawk is offline. Not 503, completely gone for the time being.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement