Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mikeym wrote: »
    The Fake Liverpool Supporter known as David rings in again to Talksport.

He wants Klopp out but cant think of a manager to replace him next season.

Owned by the Sun's group, enough for me not to listen or click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Rawk is offline. Not 503, completely gone for the time being.

Still off? Any idea what's going on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even Benteke is scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

emo72 wrote: »
    Still off? Any idea what's going on there?

No. Maybe they are letting everyone express thier meltdown Monday feelings elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Anyone who puts up talksport clips on here should be banned, its up there with the *** newspaper for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see Fabinho might be back in time for the Sheffield Utd game - would be absolutely huge.

Even just important for the other players to see someone important coming back into the fold, to give a sense of the bad run being arrested.

Hopefully we're not taking any risks with him though, like when we clearly rushed him back too early for the City match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fab needs to play in midfield now no matter what.

He can shield the CB's of Kabak & Phillips/Davies.

A midfield of Fab, Thiago & Keita with Jota and Salah in attack.

It's a toss up then who to drop Mane or Bobby since both are at rock bottom when it comes to form.

Fab needs to play in midfield now no matter what.

He can shield the CB's of Kabak & Phillips/Davies.

A midfield of Fab, Thiago & Keita with Jota and Salah in attack.

It's a toss up then who to drop Mane or Bobby since both are at rock bottom when it comes to form.

The whole system has changed in practice anyway, with Salah and Mane picking the ball up where Robbo and TAA would have before. So we may as well lean into the FB's not receiving the ball high I think, and adapt elsewhere. Maybe go 2 up instead of 3, and throw in an extra midfielder to free up a man to move into whichever of those wide channels we're moving towards, and try to keep the two lads closer to the danger zone.

Alisson
    TAA----Kabak--Nat/Ben----Robbo
    Fab
    --Jones----Thiago----Keita
    Mo
    Mane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The whole system has changed in practice anyway, with Salah and Mane picking the ball up where Robbo and TAA would have before. So we may as well lean into the FB's not receiving the ball high I think, and adapt elsewhere. Maybe go 2 up instead of 3, and throw in an extra midfielder to free up a man to move into whichever of those wide channels we're moving towards, and try to keep the two lads closer to the danger zone.

Alisson
    Fab
    --Jones----Thiago----Keita
    Mo
    Mane

It’d be criminal not to get Shaqiri into the lineup if we adopt a system like that, he’d thrive playing just behind Salah and Mane with proper midfield support around him I reckon. I wouldn’t be dropping Jones for him though, he’s quietly becoming a key player for us in midfield, thankfully without the bombardment of attention from the British media so far.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’d be criminal not to get Shaqiri into the lineup if we adopt a system like that, he’d thrive playing just behind Salah and Mane with proper midfield support around him I reckon. I wouldn’t be dropping Jones for him though, he’s quietly becoming a key player for us in midfield, thankfully without the bombardment of attention from the British media so far.

Probably split the minutes 60/30 between Keita and Shaq one way or the other.

Keita would be my preference to play more if fit, just think he’s so incredibly impactful when he’s in his stride, though he probably needs easing back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Keita would be my preference to play more if fit, just think he’s so incredibly impactful when he’s in his stride, though he probably needs easing back in.

Yeah there really isn’t another player in the squad that has a skill set like Keita’s, a joy to watch when he’s fully fit. If we can get him back fit for even 75% of what’s left of the season, we might manage a top 4 finish, and he’d be some player to have in the Champions League against the bigger clubs who’ll play more expansively.

I really shouldn’t be so optimistic about the remainder of the season, but there’s a lot of important players on the verge of returning and if our horrendous luck with injuries comes to an end, we could salvage something yet against the odds. I’m absolutely not going to write us off in the Champions League, we’ve won it before with a poorer squad than this including the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high.

This is our storm lads, this is still LFC, nothing has changed.

I'd be surprised to see klopp change formation TBH.
    Can't see him dropping Bobby against Sheff Utd either after a week on the training ground without a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looks like Milner good be back this weekend,
    He won't guess much press but I think we need him badly at the moment for his influence on the lads,

Again such a pain In the whole that the week its look like Fab, Jota , Keita & Milner are all back Henderson gets injured (

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Has there been any word on how long henderson is out for

Has there been any word on how long henderson is out for

A few places yesterday said 5 games which is better than expected but not sure,
    At this stage as long as he is back for the next round of the Champions league I'll be happy , ( ps that of course if we get there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd be surprised to see klopp change formation TBH.
    Can't see him dropping Bobby against Sheff Utd either after a week on the training ground without a game.

No can’t see the formation chaining myself either, if he hasn't tried to mix it up at this stage he obviously feels he doesn't have the personal to do it. If Fab is back though I think we could see him back in midfield with 2 of either Kabak, Phillps or Davis at the back which would be a change....my team for Sunday would be;

Alisson
    Fab

Jones
    Thiago
    ---Mo---Firminho---Mane

No can’t see the formation chaining myself either, if he hasn't tried to mix it up at this stage he obviously feels he doesn't have the personal to do it. If Fab is back though I think we could see him back in midfield with 2 of either Kabak, Phillps or Davis at the back which would be a change....my team for Sunday would be;

Alisson
    Fab

Jones
    Thiago
    ---Mo---Firminho---Mane

I' d like to see Firmino dropped ,

If fit Fab, Milner, Keita should all start,

Jota off the bench as he has been out much longer and only back training this week ,

4 4 2 ???
    4 3 1 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jota off the bench as he has been out much longer and only back training this week ,

Agreed Firminho is not on form but with Minaminho on loan and Jota not fully fit yet our only alternative is Origi and Klopp seems to have lost all faith in him these days. He barely makes it on before the 85th minute and considering how much we are struggling for goals lately that says a lot...

4 4 2 ???
    4 3 1 2?

Neither , I want us to end up like the below on the ball ,
    Look it doesn't look pretty or extremely balanced on paper but you don't have to be

Fab & Thiago at the base … this is to keep teams penned in so we have a second line of attack if they break through Keita & Milner

Trent pushed on put Milner inside him so he is able to cover for him or under/over lap if needed

Keita central to press but have a bit of freedom

Robbo has the left hand side to himself he has the legs for it but can get a hand form Mane if needed

Mane inside left to centre ..They play 3 at the back so one of the CB's will have to watch him and that'll leave Robo over lapping

Salah up top

…………….. Fabhino Thaigo
    ……..Milner...………………………...Robbo

Trent ...……. Keita...…..Mane

…………………….Salah

Neither , I want us to end up like the below on the ball ,

…………….. Fabhino Thaigo
    ……..Milner...………………………...Robbo

Trent ...…. Keita...…..Mane

…………………….Salah

OK, so 4 at be back, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards.
    You are also dropping Jones as well as Bobby from the last 2 starting 11s.

OK, so 4 at be back, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards.
    You are also dropping Jones as well as Bobby from the last 2 starting 11s.

Yes 4 defender 4 midfielders and 2 forwards but not in your normal rigid 4 4 2
    Yes Jones , Bobby , Gini get dropped ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Aston Villa have banned their players from taking part in fantasy football after the leaking of Jack Grealish’s injury.
    3 Villa players, Matt Targett, Conor Hourihane and Neil Taylor, as well as a Villa performance analyst and a physio, all transferred Grealish out of their Fantasy Premier League sides last weekend.

Robbo beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Henderson could be out rest of the season.
    May need surgery latest ive seen on twitter.

Will probably be true. So can add Henderson another one coming back from a serious injury.

Whether we make top 4 or not. Long term we are in really bad shape because as FSG have shown with teh Red Sox they wont invest when the club isnt making as much money due to Covid,No CL.

With so many injury prone players no gurantee next season will much better imo apart from having all 5 CB's out which surely wont happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Keita's "stride" tends to last about 20 minutes and Shaq's movement and work rate, both when we have the ball and when we don't have it, just aren't good enough for him to start.

We don't really have an option to drop Firmino or change the shape until Jota is back in the side and firing again.

imo, bringing Fabinho back in midfield and dropping Wijnaldum, who's hidden in games for most of the last 6 weeks, is the key change we need to make. That'll make the biggest difference.

Changing formation, which forwards we use etc. are secondary to that.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Keita's "stride" tends to last about 20 minutes and Shaq's movement and work rate, both when we have the ball and when we don't have it, just aren't good enough for him to start.

We don't really have an option to drop Firmino or change the shape until Jota is back in the side and firing again.

imo, bringing Fabinho back in midfield and dropping Wijnaldum, who's hidden in games for most of the last 6 weeks, is the key change we need to make. That'll make the biggest difference.

Changing formation, which forwards we use etc. are secondary to that.

I almost see it the opposite way - the lack of options up front for me means that’s the position where we don’t have the option to keep playing all 3 every game. And we need to figure out how to keep what forwards we do play in dangerous areas, rather than Mo hanging out by the halfway line.

We’re almost on the same page though, you’d like to drop a forward deeper into midfield, I’d be inclined to drop Bobby altogether and play another midfielder in midfield, as that’s where we’re starting to have options. Agree on resting Gini - he’s played just about every minute of every game, though I don’t think he’s hidden, he’s just been moved back to screen so is less visible.

And yup, Keita might get injured again, which really sucks and is really annoying, but he’s too good and we’re too weak not to use him when he’s fit.

Just kinda think the last thing we can afford to do is nothing - this run is monumentally bad and maybe needs a little shakeup in approach to get going again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

whatever about players coming in.

Our wage bill is big & would only rise more if we kept signed some of 2023 players to new contracts.

2023 all out of contract.

Van Dijk
    Salah
    Mane
    Firmino
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Shaqiri
    Ox

We have to get some re signed(Fabinho & Van Dijk reportetly piorities) or sell some of those players. But will clubs even take on Ox & Keita with big wages or make a big enough offer for Firmino,Salah or Mane.

We are in a difficult position in the summer.

Also we have to be careful giving too many big contracts (i.e Like Arsenal) to players who may on the decline. Firmino an obvious one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd give new contracts to Fabinho, Van Dijk, Salah and Mane. Keita has the rest of the season to prove his fitness otherwise I'd sell.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd give new contracts to Fabinho, Van Dijk, Salah and Mane. Keita has the rest of the season to prove his fitness otherwise I'd sell.

Firmino as a squad player would not be abad option at all , Who knows taking him out of the team might help him rediscover some form,

With the way the club is ran now I'd have great faith in the contract side of things being handled very well. Wij' wasn't given what he wanted (presumably). 31 this November, signed in Summer 2016 when he was 26 for £25m ish.

2023 all out of contract.

Van Dijk will be 32 at current contract end, 2 year extension on current wedge would be the aim presumably

Salah will be 31 at current contract end, they'll likely do all they can to keep him

Mane will be 31 at current contract end, bought for £35m, could easily see him sold if they scouts have more Jota type folk on their horizons.

Firmino will be 32 at current contract end, bought for £29m, could easily see him sold if they scouts have more Jota type folk on their horizons, might be one they reckon no harm to have run down contract like Wij. Great player, covers his wages etc etc but isn't in much of a bargaining position for an improved contract

Fabinho, a priority to keep and extend contract

Keita .......... 50 50 really. Injuries a concern.

Shaqiri & Ox, what will be will be. Bitpart players at this stage. Unsellable really unless they are offered for half nothing. Ox on a huge wedge for what he offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Naby and Jota need to be given as many minutes as possible and brought in as starters ASAP... Fab back to midfield. The status quo isn't suddenly going to figure it out or change... A shot of energy and slight change of personnel cant exactly be any worse...

Ali
    TAA, Kabak, Nat, Robbo
    Fab

Thiago
    Naby
    Jones
    Jota
    Salah

Bobby, Mane , Milner, Gini, Shaq... All decent options off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't think there is any real possibility of selling Firmino for any sort of big money any more. When he waited that long term contract in 2018, it kind of signalled his intent to spend a long time at Liverpool, and was happy. IIRC he was the first of the front 3 to commit to new deals after their first season together.

He's getting a lot of flack for his performances, and a lot deservedly so. He has put in some good performances too. But they get forgotten about because there are now more poor than good. The worry for me is that his energy levels seem to just not be as high, and to be fair, could not really be expected to be maintained. Maybe it's by design too. His shooting was never the best anyways but this season has been worse again. Too many games that Liverpool have lost or drawn, there can be an example of a chance where Firmino could have scored.

Mane had the biggest decline in performances IMO. I think he has been the worst of the 3 tbh. It's been rare he has had good games overall. That drive he had to pick up games by the scruff of the neck and defend, win the ball, press, run at defenders and force the team to attack is missing. This could be covid related of course. He constantly seems to run into defenders now or just not have the stamina to continually attack defenders. Instead he is waiting to pass backwards or let Robbo overall and carry the burden.

Would Mane be open to moving? Perhaps. He's a very Real Madrid type player IMO. Now that's not me saying I want to sell him, just out of the 3, I think he is the most likely saleable asset as Firmino won't have too many suitors willing to pay over £60m and Salah unsellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We all want to see Fabinho back in midfield if he's fit this weekend, but, I really wouldn't be surprised if Klopp plays him at CB. For some reason Klopp seems very reluctant to play Philips there and really only plays him when he has no options and not sure if he'll give Davies a debut in a game he needs to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I almost see it the opposite way - the lack of options up front for me means that’s the position where we don’t have the option to keep playing all 3 every game. And we need to figure out how to keep what forwards we do play in dangerous areas, rather than Mo hanging out by the halfway line.

We’re almost on the same page though, you’d like to drop a forward deeper into midfield, I’d be inclined to drop Bobby altogether and play another midfielder in midfield, as that’s where we’re starting to have options. Agree on resting Gini - he’s played just about every minute of every game, though I don’t think he’s hidden, he’s just been moved back to screen so is less visible.

And yup, Keita might get injured again, which really sucks and is really annoying, but he’s too good and we’re too weak not to use him when he’s fit.

Just kinda think the last thing we can afford to do is nothing - this run is monumentally bad and maybe needs a little shakeup in approach to get going again.

The problem with playing another midfielder in midfield instead of Firmino is that we don't really have the players available to do it, imo. We're both agreed (albeit for different reasons) that Wijnaldum needs to drop out (Fabinho and Henderson have been quite visible in that deep role btw over the past couple of years, so I don't buy that it's because he's dropped deeper). So that's him gone. That leaves Thiago, Jones and a returning Fabinho as the regular three, assuming Klopp doesn't decide to use Fabs as a center back. Henderson and Milner are injured.

So where do we get the 4th? I don't think Shaqiri is good enough to start, as good as his left foot is, he's too static with his movement and he's offered little in his last few appearances. And unless I've forgotten someone, that leaves Keita and Ox.

Injury is a secondary concern for me with Keita. My problem with him is that he's lazy, shirks challenges and has struggled to deliver a consistent performance over 90 minutes where he doesn't go missing for half the game, much less a run of such performances. Yes he's unpredictable and gives us an extra thrust from midfield when it suits him, but it doesn't suit him often enough.
    To be straight, I genuinely do not understand how anyone still rates him. Flashes of ability is not enough for a guy who's in his third season here. And if we push him even further forward, either central or from a wide area, I think he'll struggle to get in the game even more than normal.

And Ox has really never been right since the severe injury he got. Although I'd take a chance on putting him in as an extra midfielder before I would Keita.

I don't see how any of those options will be an improvement over Firmino, as off colour as he is.

If you can't play two of the 4 CBs we have fit and available against Sheffield Utd the CBs must be useless. Sheff Utd are championship level.

If you can't play two of the 4 CBs we have fit and available against Sheffield Utd the CBs must be useless. Sheff Utd are championship level.

Davis was 2500 grand , I was under impression he was signed to be back up to even Philips, I wouldn't be surprised if he never played or am I totally wrong ?

The problem with playing another midfielder in midfield instead of Firmino is that we don't really have the players available to do it, imo. We're both agreed (albeit for different reasons) that Wijnaldum needs to drop out (Fabinho and Henderson have been quite visible in that deep role btw over the past couple of years, so I don't buy that it's because he's dropped deeper). So that's him gone. That leaves Thiago, Jones and a returning Fabinho as the regular three, assuming Klopp doesn't decide to use Fabs as a center back. Henderson and Milner are injured.

So where do we get the 4th? I don't think Shaqiri is good enough to start, as good as his left foot is, he's too static with his movement and he's offered little in his last few appearances. And unless I've forgotten someone, that leaves Keita and Ox.

Injury is a secondary concern for me with Keita. My problem with him is that he's lazy, shirks challenges and has struggled to deliver a consistent performance over 90 minutes where he doesn't go missing for half the game, much less a run of such performances. Yes he's unpredictable and gives us an extra thrust from midfield when it suits him, but it doesn't suit him often enough.
    To be straight, I genuinely do not understand how anyone still rates him. Flashes of ability is not enough for a guy who's in his third season here. And if we push him even further forward, either central or from a wide area, I think he'll struggle to get in the game even more than normal.

And Ox has really never been right since the severe injury he got. Although I'd take a chance on putting him in as an extra midfielder before I would Keita.

I don't see how any of those options will be an improvement over Firmino, as off colour as he is.

When Keita is fit he is in my opinion very very good

I understand people giving up on him due to injuries but I finds it bizarre to say he is a poor player when fit , Infact I just think its incorrect

• Advertisement

Davis was 2500 grand , I was under impression he was signed to be back up to even Philips, I wouldn't be surprised if he never played or am I totally wrong ?

That's my view also but Williams and Philips have seen decent game time for us and Kabak should be ok against Sheff Utd with either one of the other two surely.

When Keita is fit he is in my opinion very very good

I understand people giving up on him due to injuries but I finds it bizarre to say he is a poor player when fit , Infact I just think its incorrect

There's no way a 2021 Ox is a better option than a fit Keita.

That’s a bit interesting... my opinion of him is literally the exact opposite - wins loads of ball back in dangerous areas high up the pitch, loads of high intensity pressing, outruns everyone else, makes lots of tackles and drives forward on the ball.

A fit Keita is in or around my starting 11, no question, even without any of the squad injuries.

Keita seems to get less good in some folks' eyes with every day he's not on the pitch.

That’s a bit interesting... my opinion of him is literally the exact opposite - wins loads of ball back in dangerous areas high up the pitch, loads of high intensity pressing, outruns everyone else, makes lots of tackles and drives forward on the ball.

A fit Keita is in or around my starting 11, no question, even without any of the squad injuries.

I actually think his strongest asset is getting to players who feel safe and take a touch then he goes an nicks it,
    So many times he is the one to nick the first pass to start a counter attack,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shaqiri is a grand player but is unsuitable to a high press and doesn't do much defensive work.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Shaqiri is a grand player but is unsuitable to a high press and doesn't do much defensive work.

He's been pretty poor lately , seems to have even stopped taking long shots ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

People are judging Firmino more harshly and wrongly on his goalscoring this season because Liverpool are not at the level they've been for the past two or three seasons. He's a number 10ish compared to Salah and Mane number 9ish. Holding up the ball, creating space by making tireless runs, making magic passes like his two touch back flick to Salah are what Firmino's about. Without Van Dijk and a solid defence Robertson and Arnold can't get forward as much to give quality ball for Mane and Salah to do damage, much of which is created by Firmino's intelligence. So now questions are asked about Firmino's goal tally, which isn't high, but never was in PL striker's terms. He can play better, they all can, but judging him on number of goals he's scoring isn't the way to measure his worth. And he needs too play close to goal not in midfield. Maybe when Jota is fit, should be soon, play him up top instead of Mane or wide left in a 4 man midfield with Salah and Firmino up front. Mane is off form, maybe a few games rest and competition for his Jersey will get him back to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Keita is overrated by some on here, he only made 18 league appearances last season (just 9 starts) and a lot of those were after the lockdown when the league was already wrapped up, tbf he probably was our best player after lockdown, but, those matches didn't really matter, the league was already wrapped up.
    In matches that really matter, he hasn't really done it for us, especially on a consistent basis and that's allowing for all his injury issues. I'm happy to see him back as he's another option, but, not sure he's the answer to our current poor form as some on here seem to believe.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Keita is overrated by some on here, he only made 18 league appearances last season (just 9 starts) and a lot of those were after the lockdown when the league was already wrapped up, tbf he probably was our best player after lockdown, but, those matches didn't really matter, the league was already wrapped up.
    In matches that really matter, he hasn't really done it for us, especially on a consistent basis and that's allowing for all his injury issues. I'm happy to see him back as he's another option, but, not sure he's the answer to our current poor form as some on here seem to believe.

There isn't a single answer to just fix our current situation. There are only things that might help turn around the worst run of form and injuries we've had in decades. Keita will definitely help that. Like, even if he's not in peoples first choice 3 man midfield, we're really down to the bare bones at this stage and completely dysfunctional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Minamino dropped to the bench for Southampton game against Leeds tonight is bit disappointing you would think the way Leeds attack he would have had plenty of space to play in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement