Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Vodafone Gigabox with alternative?

Options
  • 07-02-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi not sure someone can help me but I have 1GB SIRO Vodafone package. Find that the Gigabox that Vodafone supply is absolutely useless. Is it possible to replace the Gigabox with another router or am I forever tethered to the Gigabox?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Yes, it can be replaced and will work for Broadband and any IPTV services you might be getting. Things get a lot trickier if you're using VOIP (Home phone) and want to retain that service.

There are a couple of threads already that recommend different routers along with the settings you would need to configure your new router with.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

Hi not sure someone can help me but I have 1GB SIRO Vodafone package. Find that the Gigabox that Vodafone supply is absolutely useless. Is it possible to replace the Gigabox with another router or am I forever tethered to the Gigabox?

I have this coming soon.

Out of interest what do you find so bad about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I had the gigabox 1gb package installed recently.

Direct connection to pc im getting 900Mbps download

1000Mbps powerline adapter 136Mbps download
    WiFI in sitting room ( Modem is in hallway 10 feet away) 230Mbps download.

What I have noticed so far is the WIFi range is well off from the last modem. I used to be able to 60 foot away in the back garden before i lost signal. Now if I step into the back garden the signal is very poor.

I have a few google mini homes connected. These are connected to the 5Ghz connection. Is there a way of splitting the 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz lines to devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What make was the old router? Maybe you could use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jakefouro

Hi Richard - I have the same issue with the gigabox - did you find any solution as its not possible to split the frequencies according to Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

They must have stopped pushing out this firmware update as I had this issue after an update however my router was changed due to the connection dropping and now I have the option again to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks. Maybe check you firmware rev?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Also another issue I have is when I change DNS it still uses VF's DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Revisiting : I've now been using a TP-link wifi6 instead of the Gigabox for over a year and its been fine. The absolute sticking point for me that got me to change was not being able to switch off the vodafone DNS , because I wanted to use a pi-hole , and now I can !

so 500MB FTTH, Tp-link router and pi-hole all working like a top for over 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all,

Are any of you useing Vodafones TV service? Is it possible to use the STB with another routing device that isn't Vodafones?

I have a ubiquity router connected to the vodafone box currently that does all of my WiFi and my STB hooked up to the vodafone box wired. I wouldn't mind losing the vodafone box and connecting the STB to the ubi box however anytime I have done this the TV doesn't work.

I assume VF may have some specific routing/rules on their VF box that allows the STB to work.

Any assistance appreciated.

Advertisement