Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draughts from channels in concrete slabs in attic space. Can they be filled in?

• 08-02-2021 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

Bought a top floor apartment a year ago. Some serious draughts coming into attic space via these circular holes / channels in concrete slabs in the walls. Photos attached.

Can I go ahead and fill them in with concrete? The draughts are full blast at times.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's the envelope of the building you should not mess with that they could be ventilation for the building.

You should be dealing with draught control inside your own unit . Have you details of where your property starts and finishes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I agree, filling /sealing those may have unintended consequences elsewhere in the building, so you would need to be careful.

Is it necessary? Could you look to draft seal at the perimeter of your apartment?

Alternatively, if that’s not feasible you could back this off the the owners managment company.

Looks like brehan slabs to me.
    I doubt they are anything to do with ventilation.
    I'd say shabby Celtic tiger construction !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

There shouldn't be a draft coming through the concrete slab but it doesn't surprise me! They have nothing to do with natural ventilation. Natural ventilation would be in the form of wall vents or trickle vents in the window frames.

If the area is dry, which it should be, stuff them with quilt insulation or expanding foam. Getting a bucket of mortor would be messy.

Back in the boom I was wiring loads of apartments constructed with those slabs.
    We'd be drilling up lights and those holes would be full of rain water pissing down out of the ceiling of finished apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Back in the boom I was wiring loads of apartments constructed with those slabs.
    We'd be drilling up lights and those holes would be full of rain water pissing down out of the ceiling of finished apartments.

Those slabs should have been draught sealed at outer circumference of build. Does look like shoddy build and if draught can travel in such a manner, it could be argued that fire can also travel through the building.
    Are you an owner or renting? If owned, id be worried about fire issues and costs coming down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Thanks for all the feedback. Very helpful.

Advertisement