Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krib.ie - Hot Water System

• 08-02-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone any experience of the above...............?

https://krib.ie/

Had a quick look at web site.........seems a bit expensive for just a controller...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It seems to be more that just a controller, but still not really sure what it is.

https://krib.ie/product/krib-retrofit-system/
    This page says there is a 'KRIB plate heat exchanger system – hot water on demand'.
    That implies it is heating the water, so is it like an electric shower for the whole house, only heating water as you need it?
    Or maybe it in effect turns a normal boiler into a combi i.e. when request for hot water it signals boiler to turn on and heat the water being used with the heat exchanger.
    But it also says about heating the water in the cylinder from the top down so you only heat what you need.

To me its not clear what it is, and generally I'm very sceptic about things that do not have clear information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It's a SystemLink product and SystemLink have been around for a long time.
    I'd agree, the first product looks like a plate exchanger set up which effectively converts your boiler to something like a Combi. But the cylinder set up is probably some sort of circuit loop with multiple temp sensors on the cylinder. I would say their online vagueness is down to trying to avoid it being copied by others.
    It has me curious, I might give them a call and drop in to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Willis make a external immersion heater in which the hot water goes straight to the top of the cylinder (by convection) so it heats from the top down, it will give "hot" water pretty fast but won't heat it to 60c or whatever until the whole cylinder is heated to approx 35/40C, I saw them in the UK years ago and think they were introduced as a cheaper option for HW cylinders that didn't have a immersion tapping originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

John.G wrote: »
    Willis make a external immersion heater in which the hot water goes straight to the top of the cylinder (by convection) so it heats from the top down, it will give "hot" water pretty fast but won't heat it to 60c or whatever until the whole cylinder is heated to approx 35/40C, I saw them in the UK years ago and think they were introduced as a cheaper option for HW cylinders that didn't have a immersion tapping originally.

This is pretty much it - heats the cylinder from the top down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I remember Willis heaters well. But I think the selling point with this is that you can measure the amount of hot water required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I remember Willis heaters well. But I think the selling point with this is that you can measure the amount of hot water required.

We used to have something like this with a less sophisticated controller (two stats one on heating flow and other at bottom of cylinder). Must have been fitted at same times as Potterton Netheat in 1992. There was a pump and a heat exchanger. It worked well but the heat exchanger eventually went wallop. Could not get a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It looks very similar to the small Bullet Immersions that you can still get.

I fit one nearly 30 years ago and it's still going strong. One of the best things I ever done in the House.
    It heats the water in the Bullet and dumps it into the top of the cylinder.
    5 minutes after turning it on you'd have enough hot water to get washed and shaved or wash a few Dishes.
    The Longer you leave it on the more hot water you got. 30 Min for most of a Tank.
    The temp is controlled by a preset Thermostat.

Advertisement