Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling lawn

Options
  • 08-02-2021 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a house with a back lawn/garden a few years ago. I am still learning the gardening basics but making progress thanks to this forum.

Our lawn is fairly uneven, which I can live with, but it is also bumpy, with lots of small bumps and dips, which is a nuisance for our toddlers in summer. I bought a small roller from Lidl last year, which is 48kg when filled with water. I tried it last summer, and it had no effect at all. The ground was too hard, and the roller too light.

I am tempted to try again now, but I am trying to figure out when is the best time for it to be effective, but not so effective that I compact the soil too much. Would it be now, while the ground is soft?

I was also tempted to scatter some compost before rolling, to build the soil up a bit. Would that be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭howsshenow

I don’t know if it’s hedgehog proof enough with my shallow end.

Try spreading and levelling lots of sand. It's cheaper and the grass will come up through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't roll a lawn just don't.

Take a look at the **** very expensive **** leveling tool in the second half of this video. Its the professional way to do it but I'd use a mix of sand and soil or just screened top soil.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement