Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 50cc under 2000 euro

Options
  • 08-02-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

so I'm looking for a little 50cc runaround for a rural area for max 2k, what would be your recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

neilmb wrote: »
    so I'm looking for a little 50cc runaround for a rural area for max 2k, what would be your recommendations?

Genuinely, probably an e-bike. What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neilmb

Alkers wrote: »

older than you think :D

44, just looking for something to potter within a 5-7km radius of home

already decided on the 50cc so just looking for recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Alkers wrote: »

I didn't want to be that guy and be the first one to pull the trigger on this suggestion but +1 LOL
    44, just looking for something to potter within a 5-7km radius of home

srsly though, an ebike is way cheaper to run. TBH, an ebike is even overkill for such a small distance. Not being judgmental, but you should really consider the environmental impact of running a motor over short distances and the health benefits of a push bike.

Is this another example of Ireland's dysfunctional Insurance market distorting the market.

Is this another example of Ireland's dysfunctional Insurance market distorting the market.

I don't know is it? Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Doesn't need to be new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A 50cc would be best suited for slow urban usage rather than rural.. You are pretty much guaranteed to find it lacking within 10 minutes of picking the bike up and your teeth will be rattling faster than 45kmh.
    But if you are determined then the Aprilia SR 50 R is the best selling 50cc out there and a fairly new 2nd handone can be had for less than €2k.

zubair wrote: »
    I didn't want to be that guy and be the first one to pull the trigger on this suggestion but +1 LOL

srsly though, an ebike is way cheaper to run. TBH, an ebike is even overkill for such a small distance. Not being judgmental, but you should really consider the environmental impact of running a motor over short distances and the health benefits of a push bike.

Thanks but I'm changing from a car to 50cc for environmental reasons. I'll occasionally want to go further afield so a push bike isn't an option. Was just looking for some recommendations as opposed to alternatives

A 50cc would be best suited for slow urban usage rather than rural.. You are pretty much guaranteed to find it lacking within 10 minutes of picking the bike up and your teeth will be rattling faster than 45kmh.
    But if you are determined then the Aprilia SR 50 R is the best selling 50cc out there and a fairly new 2nd handone can be had for less than €2k.
    thanks. Under 45km will do nicely. Mainly for within a village and quiet roads around it

what about neco scooters? I see the lola, tito and neco one all under 2k new on their website?
    has anyone tried these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The Yamaha neos is probably the best little yoke around. Utterly reliable and there's loads around. There's a good one on adverts with only 445km that you'd get for under your budget. If you want a sportier look, the aerox is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

2 quick ones:

Does it have to be new?

Are you restricted by licence to just 50cc?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    2 quick ones:

Does it have to be new?

Are you restricted by licence to just 50cc?

No and no. Have to get the licence still. Have a car licence only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I could be wrong but with no previous M category and on a learner permit doesn't that mean an IBT is required? Right, we may start recommending 600s now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Don't do it to yourself, you'll be drove mad after a few days with no power. Go up to a 125 at least. Even if you only go 45 km/him it, it will feel more stable.

Don't do it to yourself, you'll be drove mad after a few days with no power. Go up to a 125 at least. Even if you only go 45 km/him it, it will feel more stable.

Would a 125 mean any change to licencing requirements? I need the ibt regardless for the 50cc

Would a 125 mean any change to licencing requirements? I need the ibt regardless for the 50cc

Nope, same category, it's up to 125cc. It's still not going to be rocket like but will have more power and be a small bit heavier and more stable to boot.

Nope, same category, it's up to 125cc. It's still not going to be rocket like but will have more power and be a small bit heavier and more stable to boot.

Would you get a half decent 125 for anywhere near 2000?

Would you get a half decent 125 for anywhere near 2000?

Been a good while now since I looked but there was rarely much difference in price between 50s and 125s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

When you do your IBT you'll probably drop the idea of getting a 125cc bike and want something bigger.

I started out on a Honda Varadero 125 because my dad owned one. It's an excellent starter bike and they come up on Donedeal every now and then from €1K to €1.5K.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-varadero-xl-125/27054989

A 50cc would be best suited for slow urban usage rather than rural.. You are pretty much guaranteed to find it lacking within 10 minutes.

Pretty much this, they're great for the city centre but that's it. If you've to go down the licence route in any case definitely get something bigger. But in any case the ibt will be a good introduction and you'll be a lot more informed having done it before you buy something.

But seriously try out an e-bike, they are actually brilliant fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Watch this video about e-bikes vs motorcycles though, its interesting
    https://youtu.be/wM8Xli2KTzI

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When did you get your B licence? If it was before Oct 2006 then you have a moped endorsement and you won't need any IBT for a moped, but being restricted to 45km/h will be risky on anything bar urban roads. If you got your B after October 2006 you'll need IBT so go for the highest licence you can get for your age (you can still run a 50cc if you want and be able to exceed 45km/h) because bigger bikes are more stable, have better brakes and as you won't be on full power all the time not much more fuel is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Fully recommend getting a 125 over a 50cc

I used to have a 50cc Aprilia.

The issue with a 50cc is keeping up with traffic which felt unsafe.

At least with a 125cc you can go with the flow.

Del2005 wrote: »
    When did you get your B licence? If it was before Oct 2006 then you have a moped endorsement and you won't need any IBT for a moped, but being restricted to 45km/h will be risky on anything bar urban roads. If you got your B after October 2006 you'll need IBT so go for the highest licence you can get for your age (you can still run a 50cc if you want and be able to exceed 45km/h) because bigger bikes are more stable, have better brakes and as you won't be on full power all the time not much more fuel is used.

thanks, it was 2007. theory was before the cut off so I don't need to do that, just straight to learner permit and IBT.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To be honest I find an awful lot of the US bike content not really relevant to us here in Europe. That video being one example of it

How does this **** get so many views, I hate that entire presenting style.

Funny to see him sitting in every traffic queue on his bike too

To be honest I find an awful lot of the US bike content not really relevant to us here in Europe. That video being one example of it

If I was pedantic I would correct you and say that video isn't US its Canadian, but regardless of the country of Origin, its the points he makes about gear and accident speeds that are relevant to the E-bike/ MC debate.
    ATGATT is a thing and while I am guilty of not always wearing ATGATT I do make an effort to wear most protective clothing in most circumstances and that always includes a helmet.
    The E-bike thing is just showing how hard you can hit something and you aren't required to wear any items of protective clothing at all by law.
    Everyone crashes, its just the way it is but going down the road in leathers or lycra will lead to very different outcomes.
    Its not different because its in another country, physics are physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

As the other guys mentioned go for the highest category if you aren't allowed to drive a moped on your B license.

If I was living in a very rural area then I wouldn't touch anything below 250cc (especially in the likes of Donegal). You want to be able to pull away quickly when you have some n#tter tailgaiting you.

I have my B license since 1998 and thought about getting a moped as well since I could just go out on the road. That said I had a go on one of them and instantly dismissed the idea (I live on the outskirts of Dublin). They are painfully slow and holding up traffic as well.

So I took advice from my IBT instructor and went for the A license. I enjoy biking very much and have a CBF1000 now.
    Before the lockdown I got my bike serviced and had a Burgman 400 for a day. Imo this would be the perfect scooter for your needs.
    It's very comfy and quick off the mark. There is loads of storage space and it is low on the juice.

Well if I was being pendantic I would say there is a big difference between a person looking to putt around in rural Ireland to that video where he is cycling around in giant 4 lane roads in a large North American city. Hence my point about a lot of videos from that part of the world not being relevant.

Even in rural Ireland you will get stuff pulling out in front of you, its not an Urban/Rural thing, it may occur more frequently in urban areas but I know plenty of people that have wrecked bikes and some that are no longer here because of meeting vehicles that have crossed their path on country roads.

Its the difference in protective clothing between E-bike users and Motorcyclists that is the difference in outcomes not the type of roads that are travelled.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Its the difference in protective clothing between E-bike users and Motorcyclists that is the difference in outcomes not the type of roads that are travelled.

A motorcycle in a rural environment is likely to be going faster than an ebike

• Advertisement

So I see some 110 50cc bikes on done deal. Would these be closed to the 125s for steadiness on the road ?

Advertisement