Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Field with Grass

• 08-02-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a field that 2.5 acres with grass growing on it. Years ago we used get it cut by a farmer. But I'm wondering how much would the bales be worth? How many would I get out of a field that size? Trying to have an idea before I approach anyone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a field that 2.5 acres with grass growing on it. Years ago we used get it cut by a farmer. But I'm wondering how much would the bales be worth? How many would I get out of a field that size? Trying to have an idea before I approach anyone.

Thanks

about 50 bales off 2.5 acres during the year. selling for €20 on average at the moment and costing you probably €15 each to make

Set the land at €150-175 an acre at the beginning of the year with payment up front is probably your best bet . If there is lots of grass on it at the moment get it grazed off first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

There's sweet **** all to be made out of selling bales, especially off such a small field.
    If you are doing it to make money I wouldn't bother, if you want the field cleaned up then why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

about 50 bales off 2.5 acres during the year. selling for €20 on average at the moment and costing you probably €15 each to make

Set the land at €150-175 an acre at the beginning of the year with payment up front is probably your best bet . If there is lots of grass on it at the moment get it grazed off first.

Presume op doesn’t have their own manure or slurry to spread si be very hard to make bales for much under €20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Fertiliser will cost a bit to get 20 bales an acre and assuming no slurry so a lot more than €15 a bale. Be €13 alone on mow, bale and supply wrap without any fertiliser. Probably about €23 a bale to make and you might get €25 out of the field. Break even really and it’s weather permitting along the way too.

Set it for year at circa 150 an acre and pocket €350-400 and no hassle assuming you get a good client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would likely also have a pain in the hole getting someone in to cut and bale it for you

Do you have water on it? It's still very small but a local fella might run a few calves on it or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you were close to town, and sussed out the insurance implications, then perhaps setting it up as allotments might be an option...
    Not an easy option, but an option all the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks Guys for all the feedback, We want to some of it for parking so I'll need to get the section scrapped and something put down I was thinking maybe this?

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/white-gravel-and-grass-stabilising-tile-matting-and-weed-block-119-x-79cm-4020122.html?filter_set[]=21,2515,2519

Thanks again

Advertisement