Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froome not sold on disc brakes. Factor bike review.

Options
  • 08-02-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

So, Chris Froome has his own Youtube channel and has given his opinion on his new Factor Ostro VAM. The bike handles well and transfers his power etc.

However, he spends a good deal of the video effectively slating disc brakes; their constant rubbing, potential for mechanicals, overheating, warping of discs... lets just say he doesn't hold back! Has a go at his handlebars too.

Froome is obviously past the point of giving a fcuk about what he should say about his race bike, appealing to his sponsors and so on. It'll be intersting to hear if any other pro's come forward publicly in this manner about disc brakes.

Will he stick with what he is given or will he demand a rim brakes bike for this season? AFAIK, apart from Ineos, UAE will have the option for rim brakes this season and one of the smaller teams too.

vid; skip to 2:40 for his view in disc brakes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRoXYeNueTk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Dan Martin's new domestique is a bit cranky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hard to argue with his observations about disc brakes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

One of the very few things I could claim to have in common with the Froome lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"Crash Froome" doesn't like disc brakes? I would have thought he needs all the help he can get! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sounds like he spouted a load of stuff he overheard

and they use swisstop discs which i read can warp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

sounds like he spouted a load of stuff he overheard

And yet, he still posted it in a video review of his bike on his channel!

Most people are shocked at his candour when discussing his own road bike for the season ahead. He'd obviously ride a rim brake bike if he had the choice.
    Regular folk commenting on this are using it to beat the heads of the bike industry and their push to make rim brakes obsolete.

It'll be interesting if any other riders pipe up about this. You can be sure they'll be asked about it in interviews before racing.

Industry answers to questions no one asked :

- heavy, squealing disc brakes.

-messy, sloppy, incompatible, tubeless rims and tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

velo.2010 wrote: »
    And yet, he still posted it in a video review of his bike on his channel!

Most people are shocked at his candour when discussing his own road bike for the season ahead. He'd obviously ride a rim brake bike if he had the choice.
    Regular folk commenting on this are using it to beat the heads of the bike industry and their push to make rim brakes obsolete.

It'll be interesting if any other riders pipe up about this. You can be sure they'll be asked about it in interviews before racing.

lets be honest if hes thinking like that now whats he going to be like flying into a corner at 80+ kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

lets be honest if hes thinking like that now whats he going to be like flying into a corner at 80+ kmh.
    You know, I forgot about how his crash might play into his thoughts about the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

Okay, but does he commuter race? Sharing greasy (often non-existant) bike lane with dublin bikes, supermarket bikes, e-bikes, scooters, taxis, junkies and jaywalkers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Heard an interview with Dowsett recently, Isreal seem to have a pretty unique relationship with Factor. The riders don't seem as loyal or tied to the brand as other teams.
    Dowsett's hour attempt last year wasn't going to be on a factor. I know factor dont make a track bike but other brands had made a cut and shut for hour records previous .

The interview is on Cycling Magazine Podcast as is a cracking interview with Sean Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

He’s only getting his excuses in early.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Heard an interview with Dowsett recently, Isreal seem to have a pretty unique relationship with Factor. The riders don't seem as loyal or tied to the brand as other teams.
    Dowsett's hour attempt last year wasn't going to be on a factor. I know factor dont make a track bike but other brands had made a cut and shut for hour records previous .

The interview is on Cycling Magazine Podcast as is a cracking interview with Sean Kelly

Don't recall now if it was Dowsett or Rohan Dennis or both that rode a Specialized Shiv at the worlds in 2019 with the logos blacked out ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

positron wrote: »
    Okay, but does he commuter race? Sharing greasy (often non-existant) bike lane with dublin bikes, supermarket bikes, e-bikes, scooters, taxis, junkies and jaywalkers?
    indeed. i think the person whose opinions i'd value least on the topic would be froome's.

positron wrote: »
    indeed. i think the person whose opinions i'd value least on the topic would be froome's.

Well that's an interesting point isn't it. Why in the name of God are manufacturers forcing Professional road riders to use commuter spec bikes?!

F1 cars don't need soft suspension so they can mount kerbs on the way to Tesco.
    I'll concede absolutely that if I needed a commuter bike for going into town every day I'd buy a sturdy disc braked bike with 28 inch + tyres. But why the hell would I want those features on my (as light and fast as possible please) 12,000 euro race bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your post (#8) seemed to suggest to me you were referring to disc brakes generally, not just on pro level bikes, so i misread you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn't be the greatest advocate for disc brakes but I do have them on my winter bike which is 4 years old and only ridden in wet/winter weather on back country roads in Donegal. The bike is constantly caked in mud/crap and sees all sorts of abuse however I have NEVER had a problem with the brakes rubbing or squealing or creaking or making any sort of noise other than the noise they make when braking. According to Strava, there is just over 12,000kms on the bike, I'm on the second set of pads and I replaced the discs last year with Ultegra discs purely because they look nicer and not for any other reason. I adjusted the calipers after fitting the new discs. It took all of 15/20 minutes to get them spot on and they've been 100% since.

If Froomes brakes are rubbing then its down to incompetence on the part of the team bike mechanics, not the bike or the brakes.

your post (#8) seemed to suggest to me you were referring to disc brakes generally, not just on pro level bikes, so i misread you.

Ah right, well I can only speak for myself I suppose. I don't commute by bike, I only train and try to stick to decent roads and nice routes. I could (nearly) count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have to pull the brakes with any force on a 100+km spin so.

Anyway, it is fascinating that a rider of his experience and mileage would be so critical of the best disc brakes money can buy on an absolute top frame. Interesting too that he doesn't feel he has to toe a party-line and pretend his sponsor's bike is the best thing since sliced bread and beyond any reproach.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah right, well I can only speak for myself I suppose. I don't commute by bike, I only train and try to stick to decent roads and nice routes. I could (nearly) count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have to pull the brakes with any force on a 100+km spin so.

Anyway, it is fascinating that a rider of his experience and mileage would be so critical of the best disc brakes money can buy on an absolute top frame. Interesting too that he doesn't feel he has to toe a party-line and pretend his sponsor's bike is the best thing since sliced bread and beyond any reproach.

I'd also be confident that his requirements for brakes would be very different than 99% of non professional riders?

Do many on here descend at 100kph on closed roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think it's a clever marketing strategy. He gives the bike itself a good review, praises the handling, stiffness, all the usual stuff. Then he makes the dusc/rim comments which go against the grain, adds a bit of weight to the debate and gets huge attention. Clicks galore, online frenzy. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He really says nothing that bad other than he hasn't used them so doesn't like them. In that regard, Chris and I have a lot in common. Handlebars are a bit spongy was more shocking, and added for realism but it is a fluff piece about how great the bike is and he says nothing again st it, bar the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have had issues with my mechanical disc brakes rubbing, particularly when that bike was on and off the (direct drive) turbo. I don't recall any issue with my gravel bike with hydraulic brakes and thru axel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They're not easy on the eyes either, compared to the elegant lines of a snazzy rim-brake setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

CramCycle wrote: »
    He really says nothing that bad other than he hasn't used them so doesn't like them. In that regard, Chris and I have a lot in common. Handlebars are a bit spongy was more shocking, and added for realism but it is a fluff piece about how great the bike is and he says nothing again st it, bar the handlebars.

This. Slaggin off the handlebar is the big story here. Maybe putting pressure on Factor to let him use whatever he wants.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gaffmaster wrote: »
    This. Slaggin off the handlebar is the big story here. Maybe putting pressure on Factor to let him use whatever he wants.

Exactly, he doesn't like disc brakes, big whoop, that's not slagging the bike off. He doesn't like the handlebars and points out what would appear to be a major issue and one that the very mention of would put me off buying those bars. Something he says they are working on, some people will delay purchase on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If Froomes brakes are rubbing then its down to incompetence on the part of the team bike mechanics, not the bike or the brakes.
    Listened to the start of the cycling tips podcast on my lunchtime walk - pretty much a Froome take down*, questioning does he have a mechanic with him, did he use someone random, or put it together himself. He hasn't been at the team camps as he's still at the rehab place in the US, so unlikely to have been built by the team mechanics.

*not just on the brakes, also his theories on the oval rings/ rear mech combo, the bike weight (given his previous sponsor) amongst others.

Advertisement