Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone (sim only vs PAYG

Options
  • 08-02-2021 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Looking at the A51 and somehow thinking bill pay might now actually be more affordable (3 years ago when bought current phone it was opposite); my phone now has software glitch so was told by a repairer I need a new phone.

Bill pay
    Phone is free +€60 per month
    Over 2 years that costs €1440

Sim Only
    €379 unlocked sim
    Currently on the €30 per month
    Over 2 years that costs €1099
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/galaxy-a51

PAYG
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/galaxy-a51/5503/2
    Vodafone €299
    Three €310

Could I not just go PAYG and stick my sim in the phone and not top up? Or am I missing something. Dont get why PAYG and SIM only are different prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

bs2014 wrote: »
    Looking at the A51 and somehow thinking bill pay might now actually be more affordable (3 years ago when bought current phone it was opposite); my phone now has software glitch so was told by a repairer I need a new phone.

Bill pay
    Phone is free +€60 per month
    Over 2 years that costs €1440

Sim Only
    €379 unlocked sim
    Currently on the €30 per month
    Over 2 years that costs €1099
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/galaxy-a51

PAYG
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/galaxy-a51/5503/2
    Vodafone €299
    Three €310

Could I not just go PAYG and stick my sim in the phone and not top up? Or am I missing something. Dont get why PAYG and SIM only are different prices.

Very much depends on what you want, calls, texts, Data. First and foremost make sure the phone is sim free, not tied to any network.

PAYG is horrendously expensive and most networks now require a 28 day top up, indeed some deactivating numbers if not topped up for 6 months.

Network coverage also a key consideration, if your urban you'll be fine but rural you really need to check coverage, forget about coverage maps, actual testing sims the key.

Various networks offering great value sim only deals. I'm currently paying €9.99 per month on gomo for everything, that deal now €12.99 which is still good.

48 I believe have a €7.99 offer, 3 is €30 but I think a discount for a period of time.

Good luck, just make sure coverage good a d phone definitely sim free.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Very much depends on what you want, calls, texts, Data. First and foremost make sure the phone is sim free, not tied to any network.

PAYG is horrendously expensive and most networks now require a 28 day top up, indeed some deactivating numbers if not topped up for 6 months.

Network coverage also a key consideration, if your urban you'll be fine but rural you really need to check coverage, forget about coverage maps, actual testing sims the key.

Various networks offering great value sim only deals. I'm currently paying €9.99 per month on gomo for everything, that deal now €12.99 which is still good.

48 I believe have a €7.99 offer, 3 is €30 but I think a discount for a period of time.

Good luck, just make sure coverage good a d phone definitely sim free.

I suppose my point is, could I not just pay the PAYG cheaper price for the phone, stick my sim in and use my current contract. TBH I like many have been follishy paying three which is €30 + VAT. I see virgin are offering the same for €5 for 6 months and then €25 a month. I'll prob switch once I get the new phone set up and put that headache to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I suppose my point is, could I not just pay the PAYG cheaper price for the phone, stick my sim in and use my current contract. TBH I like many have been follishy paying three which is €30 + VAT. I see virgin are offering the same for €5 for 6 months and then €25 a month. I'll prob switch once I get the new phone set up and put that headache to bed.

You could, check however if CPH price on sim free phones is the same as 3 pay prices. If you buy the 3 PAYG phone it's likely locked to that network and they'll require €130 in phone credit purchased before they'll unlock it

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You could, check however if CPH price on sim free phones is the same as 3 pay prices. If you buy the 3 PAYG phone it's likely locked to that network and they'll require €130 in phone credit purchased before they'll unlock it
    Based on recent experience, it's pretty likely that the A51 is dual SIM and unlocked. Even if it's locked, all you need is to have a SIM of the network that it's locked to in slot 1 and then a SIM from any network works in slot 2. (This is how it is with the A40 I bought from Three.)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

Go for a SIM only contract with GoMo for €12.99/mo, all calls and texts + 120gb data. Keep your own number.
    I'm on their deal of €9.99/mo and another at €12.99 just for data and have only good things to say about them.
    Take a look at phonesonline.ie for the Galaxy A51 for €320.00, looks like a good phone.
    That will work out for you at about €630 over two years.
    I just did all this for a friend recently and it all went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Plenty sellers on adverts selling bnib for around €250 for the A51. Just go with one with plenty of positive feedback and you will get a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

DopeTech wrote: »
    I thought phonesonline.ie had a bad rep years ago no? Didn't they get banned from boards. I remember if you used to type the website url in boards would ** it out or was is ************ that was banned.

I really don't know about that. I see them mentioned in the archive here over 16 years ago, so they're doing something right. I have no connection with them at all, apart from placing an order there. They delivered the phone ok and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sim free A51 delivered by Tuesday €282. Its sold directly by Amazon. EU warranty just needs a 2 pin adapter for the charger.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08CVJ59G3

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Thanks folks. Ordered today off the three website. Delivery tomorrow. €310 which is good cuz its 128gb version whereas the lots are selling the a51 64gb for same price or more.

My three contract is the €30+vat one. When I said I was thinking of switching to virgin, the dropped the price to €15 per month for 12 months (anyone on sim only I'd ring up and call their bluff); I was one of those letting the DD roll out each month unquestioned.

Three get you to order a PAYG phone but told me its unlocked anyways (I wont be switching network now anyways)

Now comes the real crack tomorrow night setting the new phone up myself and copying all my stuff over. I'm under 30 but old fashioned at heart lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Now comes the real crack tomorrow night setting the new phone up myself and copying all my stuff over. I'm under 30 but old fashioned at heart lol
    Use the Huawei PhoneClone app.

That should transfer the vast majority of your stuff to the new phone, then you might have to reinstall a few apps that somehow didn't transfer.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

POBox19 wrote: »
    I really don't know about that. I see them mentioned in the archive here over 16 years ago, so they're doing something right. I have no connection with them at all, apart from placing an order there. They delivered the phone ok and it's fine.

Yeah I deleted the comment after as I realised it was gsm solutions I was thinking of.

Advertisement