Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse issue

Options
  • 08-02-2021 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Just tried to buy an iPhone on prepay earlier. They asked me which network I’m on and I told them it’s 3. Then after asking me for my number, they told me they couldn’t sell me the phone as I’m a bill pay customer, but they’d process it as an upgrade for me. I’ve no interest in that, I’m happy enough with monthly bill as it is and just want to pay in cash for the handset. I talked with 3 customer care, and they’re saying CW made a mistake, and to go back and ask for a manager.

Anybody with any knowledge in this area, before I try again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Just tried to buy an iPhone on prepay earlier. They asked me which network I’m on and I told them it’s 3. Then after asking me for my number, they told me they couldn’t sell me the phone as I’m a bill pay customer, but they’d process it as an upgrade for me. I’ve no interest in that, I’m happy enough with monthly bill as it is and just want to pay in cash for the handset. I talked with 3 customer care, and they’re saying CW made a mistake, and to go back and ask for a manager.

Anybody with any knowledge in this area, before I try again?

My advice would be to not stress about it. Buy the phone from Apple directly. When I worked in phone sales, the high value phones were preferred to be sold as new contracts/upgrades. Not something I agreed with but that’s the way it worked.

Send feedback by all means. But to be honest it’s not worth the hassle arguing this. But they are under no obligation to sell you the phone and I recommend buy it from somewhere who does want your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You tell them you don't have an existing number anywhere. If they insist that a phone has to be on a network, get a new 3 number and bin the SIM.

Easier option if the price is right - Power City only sell phones SIM free, no network stuff even possible and have an extensive Apple range.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    You tell them you don't have an existing number anywhere. If they insist that a phone has to be on a network, get a new 3 number and bin the SIM.

The problem is that most network 'upgrades' involve you moving to a more expensive plan. Even if you're effectively paying full price for the handset.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Easier option if the price is right - Power City only sell phones SIM free, no network stuff even possible and have an extensive Apple range.

+1 If you're happy on your current billpay plan, you need to buy a SIM-free handset. From anyone but CW. I wouldn't believe a word out of the mouth of a CW salesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Power City isn’t a bad option. It’s €70 more expensive, but if CW aren’t going to sell me the handset anyway, that’s still cheaper than signing a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Power City isn’t a bad option. It’s €70 more expensive, but if CW aren’t going to sell me the handset anyway, that’s still cheaper than signing a contract.

They wouldn't sell it to you because you gave them a bill pay phone number and a pre-pay phone cannot be sold to a billpay account.

The sales assistant was either being a pr!ck or was a bit dim, he should have just explained you needed a new prepay sim/number to go with the phone (and possibly an inital top-up) which you can then throw away or give to someone else and just use the phone with your current billpay sim.

I should also say the more expensive unlocked phone is a better buy if you are likely to switch networks or try to sell the phone on as if you use the pre-pay trick 3 are unlikely to ever unlock the phone for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I should also say the more expensive unlocked phone is a better buy if you are likely to switch networks or try to sell the phone on as if you use the pre-pay trick 3 are unlikely to ever unlock the phone for you.

Im glad to hear you say this, because I did just go and buy the one in Power City.

Advertisement