Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 24 Captains thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Is Ederson as captain madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

CSF wrote: »
    I think he was just talking about how much more of a differential it would be to play it this week though, rather than the actual value of the chip.

Ie. You’ll have 3 more Sterlings than the template team this week, but probably only one more Kane than the template team in 26.

Of course, if you captain Sterling this week and treble captain Kane in 26 you gain more of an advantage on the curve than if you’d TCed Sterling, but I suppose for someone who is way behind in money leagues, you might be more willing to go all in on Sterling this week and hope the popular Kane choice fails.

TC is a season long chip, you only get one of them. It adds X1 to one of your 38 captain scores. So comparing it's outcome vs template in any single game week is pointless. Your TC points aren't 'differential' in a given GW. All that matters at the end of the season, or if chasing a mini league is getting more points from the x1 than the other guy, over the 38 week season.

In the options he's comparing you either get Sterling's score this week x1 or Kane's score in GW26 x1 from the chip. Unless you play for GW rank anything else is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ShagNastii wrote: »

Not madness as such, but it would be a surprise if you didn’t have a better option.

FHFC wrote: »
    TC is a season long chip, you only get one of them. It adds X1 to one of your 38 captain scores. So comparing it's outcome vs template in any single game week is pointless. Your TC points aren't 'differential' in a given GW. All that matters at the end of the season, or if chasing a mini league is getting more points from the x1 than the other guy, over the 38 week season.

In the options he's comparing you either get Sterling's score this week x1 or Kane's score in GW26 x1 from the chip. Unless you play for GW rank anything else is irrelevant.

The differential comes from how many people do the same thing as you though.

If you treble captain Sterling in a week nobody else has him, you can make huge gains (even though only one third of them will be from playing the chip), if you treble captain Kane when your rivals are doing the same, you make no gain on them. The best you can do is potentially get a better outcome than you would have gotten if you had used the chip on Sterling.

Which can potentially mean more points but less potential to actually make (33% more than you already would be) gains on your rivals.

The differential comes from how many people do the same thing as you though.

If you treble captain Sterling in a week nobody else has him, you can make huge gains (even though only one third of them will be from playing the chip), if you treble captain Kane when your rivals are doing the same, you make no gain on them. The best you can do is potentially get a better outcome than you would have gotten if you had used the chip on Sterling.

Which can potentially mean more points but less potential to actually make (33% more than you already would be) gains on your rivals.

You're talking about the size of your green arrow though. The only thing that matters in terms of gaining on your rival come final whistle GW38 is how many points you get from the chip.

If very few people use TC on Sterling this week and many use it on Kane in 26 then, of the 38 possible times you could play it it's a differential. But that's not the point the lad was making.

• Advertisement

You're talking about the size of your green arrow though. The only thing that matters in terms of gaining on your rival come final whistle GW38 is how many points you get from the chip.

If very few people use TC on Sterling this week and many use it on Kane in 26 then, of the 38 possible times you could play it it's a differential. But that's not the point the lad was making.

I can only imagine we interpreted his point differently then, because he referenced for people chasing rank.

So for someone on say 1.5 million rank the only way to reach a tasty rank is to find the spots you believe are both differential and profitable and double down on them. I’m 21k rank at the moment and I’m slightly more than 200 points ahead of someone on 1.5 million rank.

Sure, technically speaking that’s only about 14 points to gain per week for the rest of the season, but the reality is that achieving that is ridiculously difficult.

When the gap is that big, simply identifying differentials isn’t enough, you have to double down on them with the armband where you feel it isn’t kamikaze to do so. In this particular instance, you’re getting to do it twice.

Of course, this particular punt you can only do once, so you damn well better get it right, and you also have to hope that the other popular ones fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

CSF/FHFC ... Both of you can agree that the chip if used at the right time can gain you extra points ?

If you use it on sterling today or Kane in gw29 it's immaterial, depending on how/when your rivals play the chip and if the player gets points, ... If either of you decide today is the best option for me ... Go for it, hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

CSWS101 wrote: »
    Not sure why Dias isn't listed, he's a better option than Cancelo I think. Cancelo due a rest one of the games

Seems to me like Cancelo has got more rests that Dias of late. Think there just more options in the fullback positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Seems to me like Cancelo has got more rests that Dias of late. Think there just more options in the fullback positions.

The reason for more rest is that fullback is a more physically taxing position. Especially in Pep's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I’m think I’ll go Bruno over Gundogen. It’s a really tough call but I’m half thinking that Gundogen might get rested one of the games? If he does then Bruno’s single game is easier than Gundogen. But if he plays both it could be a regret.

• Advertisement

CSF/FHFC ... Both of you can agree that the chip if used at the right time can gain you extra points ?

If you use it on sterling today or Kane in gw29 it's immaterial, depending on how/when your rivals play the chip and if the player gets points, ... If either of you decide today is the best option for me ... Go for it, hope it works out.

I don’t even own Sterling, not a consideration for me. Wasn’t a conversation with reference to my own team.

I can only imagine we interpreted his point differently then, because he referenced for people chasing rank.

So for someone on say 1.5 million rank the only way to reach a tasty rank is to find the spots you believe are both differential and profitable and double down on them. I’m 21k rank at the moment and I’m slightly more than 200 points ahead of someone on 1.5 million rank.

Sure, technically speaking that’s only about 14 points to gain per week for the rest of the season, but the reality is that achieving that is ridiculously difficult.

When the gap is that big, simply identifying differentials isn’t enough, you have to double down on them with the armband where you feel it isn’t kamikaze to do so. In this particular instance, you’re getting to do it twice.

Of course, this particular punt you can only do once, so you damn well better get it right, and you also have to hope that the other popular ones fail.

Yeah, and I'm not being argumentative, I just find this stuff interesting.

It's the bit in the 3rd and 4th tweet where he says following the crowd and playing the TC on Kane 'weakens the power of the chip' as you only get 1x Kane's score as an advantage where you get 3x Sterling score as a gain in you do it this week.

That's just not true. As we agree you only get 1x the score of whoever you play it on from the chip.

So owning and captaining Sterling this week is a rank chasing move if he's a differential. Your points about doubling down on differentials GW to GW is spot on when rank chasing.

TCing him this week may be a differential move too , as opposed to Kane if he indeed does become the go to TC this year. But it's a different differential and can only be judged as such once you know stats on who TC chips were payed on over the season. It doesn't weaken the power of the chip, all that matters is that your season long differential scores more x1 than the popular option.

That stuff in the 3rd and 4th tweet is suggesting there's some tangible mathematical advantage to playing TC on Sterling and it's mixing up the differential you get from owning him, when only 14% odd do, and then doubling down by captaining him, with the effect of the TC.

Nerd level - saddo, and sorry for diverging a bit off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's the bit in the 3rd and 4th tweet where he says following the crowd and playing the TC on Kane 'weakens the power of the chip' as you only get 1x Kane's score as an advantage where you get 3x Sterling score as a gain in you do it this week.

That's just not true. As we agree you only get 1x the score of whoever you play it on from the chip.

So owning and captaining Sterling this week is a rank chasing move if he's a differential. Your points about doubling down on differentials GW to GW is spot on when rank chasing.

TCing him this week may be a differential move too , as opposed to Kane if he indeed does become the go to TC this year. But it's a different differential and can only be judged as such once you know stats on who TC chips were payed on over the season. It doesn't weaken the power of the chip, all that matters is that your season long differential scores more x1 than the popular option.

That stuff in the 3rd and 4th tweet is suggesting there's some tangible mathematical advantage to playing TC on Sterling and it's mixing up the differential you get from owning him, when only 14% odd do, and then doubling down by captaining him, with the effect of the TC.

Keep fighting the good fight pal

Keep fighting the good fight pal

Thank fook I'm not on FPL twitter any more!! :D

I agree with the point if it’s with reference to getting x1 Kane advantage. I was viewing it from the perspective of someone predicting they’d be getting closer to 0 than 1 Kane advantage from the template.

Much of this depends on how many people didn’t use their BB in GW19 (or a different week) and also don’t use it another week, because for someone who isn’t BBing in 26, Kane TC is just looking like an automatic choice.

Again, I’m someone who is planning on BBing in 26, so Kane will likely be a plaster for me rather than a differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Changed to Gundogan from Ricky as I think he'll play these 2 games and be rested for the Arsenal game before the champions league.

Or maybe he's a mainstay just like KDB was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

A toss up between Pope and Rodríguez. Not great options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

GetWithIt wrote: »

Pope has been discussed a lot as an option on streams. I'd go with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

GetWithIt wrote: »

I have the same choice.
    I'm doing it.
    I'm going with pope!
    Now... Whos coming with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Let’s do it! Pope(C)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Played it safe with Gundogan in the end.

Played it safe with Gundogan in the end.

Same

Pope TC

Pope TC

Really. Fair play!

Was between Pope and Sterling for me (normal C) Went sterling in the end.

Really. Fair play!

Was between Pope and Sterling for me (normal C) Went sterling in the end.

Time to roll the dice.

I’ll be happy enough with the 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Pope TC

Could be a cardinal sin :pac:

Hope it works out well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thinking outside of the box, have given it to Lowton for now. Expecting two CS's.

Stuck with Lowton. My word :D

This is defo not a TC week IMO

F*ck do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

ShagNastii wrote: »

Pussed out on this. Booooooo!!!

And he nearly took the peno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I’m think I’ll go Bruno over Gundogen. It’s a really tough call but I’m half thinking that Gundogen might get rested one of the games? If he does then Bruno’s single game is easier than Gundogen. But if he plays both it could be a regret.

God if I could just stop over thinking everything and bloody captain the in form player with a double Gameweek that would be great! I’ll get over it if Fernandes does well.

Advertisement