Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft word and formatting for clickable TOC

Options
  • 09-02-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, i wonder if anybody here will be able to help me out.

I'm putting together a document for an application, and the application has very strict rules on the formatting. The table of contents (TOC) must be 'clickable' in that the document is formatted properly with headings and clicking on an entry in the TOC takes you directly to that section.

That's not a problem, i know how to do that. The problem is that firstly, using the Headings formatting involves highlighting a piece of text and then clicking on Heading 1, or Heading 2, or whatever level of heading you want - and all of these default into a particular font - Heading 1 is in Calibri light (Heading) font size 16, dark blue font colour. Heading 2 is the same except font size 13.

The problems is also that, secondly, the application also has strict rules on how the document should be formatted - everything has to be Times New Roman, font size 12, black font...and do on.

So is there a way to format the font style/size of headings somewhere, or is it a case of me manually altering each heading/sub-heading as I go through the document, or can I just ignore the headings until the end and then 'select' all and format to Times New Roman size 12 (I can't really do this as there are graphs and tables that have different formats that need to be maintaned)?

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I believe that this is for the latest version of Word, but it should be similar enough in all the previous versions.

Modify Styles

It might be called modify formatting or some such on older versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

CatInABox wrote: »
    I believe that this is for the latest version of Word, but it should be similar enough in all the previous versions.

Modify Styles

It might be called modify formatting or some such on older versions.

Thanks, I appreciate that, helps a lot.

No idea why it defaults to a different font rather than just keeping the one you already had.

Advertisement