Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge trimmer and blackthorn

Options
  • 09-02-2021 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi, Has anyone successfully used a hedge trimmer on blackthorn shoots?
    The divils are sprouting up on my side of a wall from a jungle on the other side. I was thinking of one of those angled Eco hedge trimmers that might be able to cut along just above the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Successfully, how? :confused: I've used a strimmer on blackthorn shoots and a hedge trimmer on thicker young trees. Both techniques get them cut; keeping them from growing back is an entirely different matter! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Banbh wrote: »
    Hi, Has anyone successfully used a hedge trimmer on blackthorn shoots?
    The divils are sprouting up on my side of a wall from a jungle on the other side. I was thinking of one of those angled Eco hedge trimmers that might be able to cut along just above the ground.

Blackthorn can be very hard and is liable to jam an electric hedge trimmer. Possibly worth getting a good loppers for the bigger branches which will also end up with tidier result. Watch yourself on the trimmings as well, the thorns can be surprisingly sore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the OP means it's suckering and they need to keep that under control, rather than lopping branches?

i think the OP means it's suckering and they need to keep that under control, rather than lopping branches?

My bad, just re-read the OP. Wouldn't be that inclined to use a hedge trimmer at ground level close to a wall. Strimmer or decent shears sounds like the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Yes the problem is suckers. Thin whips sprouting up from a wild adjoining area (not mine). There's a dry stone wall boundary and they grow under it.
    I read earlier here that someone was using an Eco hedge trimmer along the ground for rough cutting and thought this would be an ideal tool for the job.
    I suppose a brush cutter would do the job but the hedge trimmer would be useful for other normal hedge-trimming jobs.
    Thanks for input.

• Advertisement

Banbh wrote: »
    Yes the problem is suckers. Thin whips sprouting up from a wild adjoining area (not mine). There's a dry stone wall boundary and they grow under it.
    I read earlier here that someone was using an Eco hedge trimmer along the ground for rough cutting and thought this would be an ideal tool for the job.
    I suppose a brush cutter would do the job but the hedge trimmer would be useful for other normal hedge-trimming jobs.
    Thanks for input.

Something like the Stihl extension hedge trimmer might be a good option so as the cutter part can be angled. Cost a few bob but great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Thanks, I'll check that out. I was thinking of the Eco so that if I have to get the brush cutter later on, I'll have the basic tool and battery and charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm happily using this thing as my only blade on my strimmer

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113895895

It cuts grass just fine and it even trims hawthorn hedges.
    Might be worth considering if you're thinking about buying a strimmer

Advertisement