Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible security/password breach on Ask About Money website?

Options
  • 09-02-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw this thread yesterday on askaboutmoney.com questioning the safety of the website. I didn't take too much notice 'til I returned this morning and saw that another use had similar issues.
    The link is here:
    https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-safe-is-our-email-and-password-on-this-site.222354/

And bizarrely, now that I look again the post from that new user has been deleted?

Anyway, I'm taking no chances. I'm registered on AAM but rarely use it anymore. I've changed my password on various financial sites/apps (banks, bookies, etc) and will get around to others later. I'm going to ask them to close my account too and if possible delete my membership.

I sent a text to a friend, she said she had already been told by someone else. She said she'd been banned a few years ago so isn't too concerned.

Might be nothing, but 2020 was a bad year and I don't want 2021 to be any worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Isn't it a bit weird that you didn't ask your question there? Even more so if you actually read the thread, clearly no breach.

Were you really using the same password for multiple sites? :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

I don't think it was weird. AFAIK there are Boards.ie members that also use AAM (I'm hardly the only one). Just giving them a heads up.

And yes, I've read the thread, and I've read a post which has been deleted.

I have a core password (16 letters, upper and lowercase, numbers and special characters) that I use on every website for every password. I then use a site-specific prefix to make every password unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Gautama wrote: »
    I don't think it was weird. AFAIK there are Boards.ie members that also use AAM (I'm hardly the only one). Just giving them a heads up.

And yes, I've read the thread, and I've read a post which has been deleted.

I have a core password (16 letters, upper and lowercase, numbers and special characters) that I use on every website for every password. I then use a site-specific prefix to make every password unique.

You shouldn't use your banking/credit card passwords anywhere else.

Advertisement