Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before you shot 36pts?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OEP wrote: »
    Frequently shooting => 36 points (I know you said > 36 but this thread, and the 10% figure, is about => to 36 points) is not the same as frequently shooting > 37 points. Occasionally yes, but when you're only getting cut 0.2 that can be quickly balanced out by 0.1s.

Again, the 10% figure doesn't make sense to me unless someone has some study that works it out. If you play 20 competitions and only shoot >= your handicap twice, then you're almost certainly going up the way. Back to the first point I made, this also depends on SS.

The handicap systems are all biased towards your better scores, so if you are frequently shooting 36 points then you are also shooting > 36 points and hence are going to end up getting cut.

It would be bizarre if someone was shooting 36 points frequently, but that was also their peak performance and they didnt shoot > 36.

It would need your "average" to closely resemble your max, which is not how golf works in my experience!

for the purposes of discussion Im ignoring CSS != SSS but I agree with your point around this.

I'd be more interested in how long before someone shot par + handicap strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

ClutchIt wrote: »
    I love golf.
    I fckin love & miss golf.
    Have a tough day today at work, & miss finishing up, driving to the course, taking a breath of fresh and and striking a drive off the tee.
    Then teeing up a provisional and smashing that into the woods to find my first ball.

But in all seriousness, I really miss the release of a few holes after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

GreeBo wrote: »
    The handicap systems are all biased towards your better scores, so if you are frequently shooting 36 points then you are also shooting > 36 points and hence are going to end up getting cut.

It would be bizarre if someone was shooting 36 points frequently, but that was also their peak performance and they didnt shoot > 36.

It would need your "average" to closely resemble your max, which is not how golf works in my experience!

for the purposes of discussion Im ignoring CSS != SSS but I agree with your point around this.

I'd be more interested in how long before someone shot par + handicap strokes.

Last post on this but yes I was shooting 36 or more frequently and did get cut so you're right there.

Unless proven wrong, I don't think 10% could be right. As I said, if you have 20 scores and only 2 are 36 points or more, you're going up the way unless one of those 2 scores is huge or you somehow manage to stay within the buffer a lot, which is unlikely if you're only shooting 36 twice.

I really miss golf, I had big plans to continue the downward trend of my handicap with winter practice for the first time!

Last post on this but yes I was shooting 36 or more frequently and did get cut so you're right there.

Unless proven wrong, I don't think 10% could be right. As I said, if you have 20 scores and only 2 are 36 points or more, you're going up the way unless one of those 2 scores is huge or you somehow manage to stay within the buffer a lot, which is unlikely if you're only shooting 36 twice.

Well your handicap is the average of your best 8 from that 20, so it wouldn't take too much to have
    2 better
    4 "buffer"
    2 worse

and for you to stay the same, right? (obv all against CSS)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

It must be SS and not 36 points though, and must also depend on the category of golfer. Like a category 1 golfer is going to be getting 36 points a lot more than 10% of the time.

In my course CSS is generally 37 points, and last year I shot 36 points or better 50% of the time. I did get cut but only by 1.2.

I play in category 1 and looking back over my competition history from last year I shot under my handicap in 7/13 singles competitions on my home course with a further two at 36 points. Started last year at 5 ended almost at 3. My new WHS handicap is 2.3 and I'd be pretty confident of playing to that in at least 10% of my competitions this season.

I had heard previously off handicap secretaries that the average golfer plays better than their handicap two or three times a year max. I'll be interested to see how this pans out across all golfers this year as I'm competition secretary in the club this season and it's something I'll follow with great interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well it depends on the sample size obviously, I often shoot 36 point 100% of the time :D

If you are consistently playing to your handicap then your good days will be even better and so that would result in the cut, just playing to it obviously won't cut it.

i.e. it would be very rare to keep just playing to it but not better than it.

Oh it was a complete mental block...and how I got round it was playing off handicap 4 shots on my scoring app

KevH1984 wrote: »
    I play in category 1 and looking back over my competition history from last year I shot under my handicap in 7/13 singles competitions on my home course with a further two at 36 points. Started last year at 5 ended almost at 3. My new WHS handicap is 2.3 and I'd be pretty confident of playing to that in at least 10% of my competitions this season.

I had heard previously off handicap secretaries that the average golfer plays better than their handicap two or three times a year max. I'll be interested to see how this pans out across all golfers this year as I'm competition secretary in the club this season and it's something I'll follow with great interest.

CONGU was basically you beat it maybe 1 in 7 times most in the buffer and then some huge numbers, hence why it was so heavily weighted for your good scores (no matter how bad on you get 0.1 back)
    I think it was a good system but I reckon 99% of golfers didn't understand it and assumed that it worked more like WHS or an average.

With WHS, on average, I reckon you should play slightly worse than your handicap, since it discards your 12 bad rounds and then averages your best 8.

I think the numbers quoted earlier are based on historical WHS stats from the other unions.

Advertisement