Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looped walks near Carrigart

Options
  • 09-02-2021 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi everyone, looking for recommendations for good looped walks near Carrigart, off road if possible suitable for letting a well mannered dog off the lead. I am aware of Ards Forest but looking for other recommendations.

Thanks

Sooty

Comments

Lots of sheep farming around that area so dogs off leads aren't the done thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of sheep farming around that area so dogs off leads aren't the done thing really.

Thanks for your reply - i was looking for ideas for looped walks that are like fenced off or follow a designated path where access to livestock is not feasible.....like the greenway/blueway walks?

Not aware of anything like that in the area......... tramore beach in Downings isn't too bad weather/tide permitting for a walk but it's not looped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

If you're driving half way between Carrigart and Downings ,swing a right to Island Roy, it is nice and quiet and by the strand. Not a Looped Walk but nice to walk over to the island. Plenty of space there. Just be careful about walking to the end as there are dogs on one of the farms.

You could also drive out and park by the Harry Blaney Bridge and walk around the roads of the Mulroy Estate.

The Board Walk is lovely and you could make it a loop by walking down the boardwalk and onto the beach to the right and around.

Ards Friary is also fabulous for walking around.

I'm just trying to think of places that are looped that wouldn't take you back out onto the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

If you're driving half way between Carrigart and Downings ,swing a right to Island Roy, it is nice and quiet and by the strand. Not a Looped Walk but nice to walk over to the island. Plenty of space there. Just be careful about walking to the end as there are dogs on one of the farms.

You could also drive out and park by the Harry Blaney Bridge and walk around the roads of the Mulroy Estate.

The Board Walk is lovely and you could make it a loop by walking down the boardwalk and onto the beach to the right and around.

Ards Friary is also fabulous for walking around.

I'm just trying to think of places that are looped that wouldn't take you back out onto the main road.

Thanks a million for that - they don't have to be looped but ones that don't involve main road but that gives me a few to research - hopefully restrictions will be lifted by the end of May to get there!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement