Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eeprom editor seems to read backwards

Options
  • 09-02-2021 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Truthfully told, I'm a novice at this. I have a cheap chineese eeprom programmer and am trying to read a 93cxx. It seems to read it OK, but the readings are the wrong way around. The hex values are on the right, but I think I need them on the left where they are editable. I mean, any youtube video does not seem to read with results like this. Is there a program that swaps them around?

Also, if I try to write a file to the eeprom, I get flash check error address:0h when I try to verify

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I think you misunderstood the concept.

The values on the left are numbers in hexadecimal, and the values on the right are their corresponding characters from the ASCII table.
    For example, 30 in hex equals 48 in decimal, the ASCII code for the character '0' (the digit zero). 20 in hex = 32 in decimal = ' ' (the space character).

I think you were trying to write the numbers on the right side, not their ASCII codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for that. So they are just a translation from hex to ascii? I found some .bin files on the net, and if I open them in notepad, they look in ascii format, but when opened in this programmer, they change to hex? Or at least, displayed in hex?

You should not open bin files in Notepad, as most bytes have no ASCII equivalent.
    Use something like this instead. You will notice it shows the data same as the eeprom software (binary on the left side, ascii-if-possible on the right side).

You're right. They did open in the same manner as the eeprom software. So does it all mean the same thing, but just in a different language? I mean, I recognise the right side more easily than the left.

You may understand ASCII, but PLDs understand the binary data.

Can you explain a bit what you're trying to to?
    Sounds to me like you should be well aware of these distinctions before you attempt to write something into a chip.

• Advertisement

Well, all I wanted to do is change a few parameters in the code. The code I didn't write, but rather copied it to a notepad file, and renamed it .bin . However, I copied it to the hex editor just now, and saved it as a hex file. Once I loaded it into the program it read like the hex file I copied, rather than what I posted above. I could understand (I think)it as hex, e.g. 11 FF 5F BF, but not as 3030 3030.

Advertisement