Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish web hosting with Python

Options
  • 09-02-2021 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I can get any cheap option to host python app on any Irish hosting but from what I see I need advanced service like VPS or Cloud Server (probably SSH and all additional functionality).
    Is there any point looking or just go hosting abroad?

Has anyone experience with running python on Irish hosting? How is it integrated - docker or some other magic like Passenger? I can see nothing on support pages (some are really joke like dead clients.hostingireland.ie).

Now I am looking to host HTML/JS/PHP website but was wondering if I can experiment a bit with python if possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Maybe one of the large cloud services with the site located in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CodeApples

It really depends on the scale, the processing overheads, etc. You can spin up an EC2 on Amazon in eu-west-1 (Ireland). If you use a linux OS it will run python out of the box, though you may have some modules to install. Bundling python all up in a docker image is a great learning experience and works well to make your application 100% portable. Virtualenv gets you some of the way there, but it is by no means bullet proof. Docker completely containerises the application once you get over the learning curve. Alternatives I could suggest, if you want something like Colocation or just a good Irish company, is Servecentric. They can offer pretty much anything, including a cloud environment via their partner CloudSigma. Google Cloud Compute, similar to AWS is another option, i'm just not sure how easy it is to specify Ireland, if that is uber important.

I was thinking more like Amazon Lightsail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Thanks for all answers - I have experience with hosting companies in UK and Europe and I know they have python/ruby/node options even on shared hosting (a2hosting.co.uk for example, although I never used them because of their tricky T&C)

https://www.a2hosting.co.uk/kb/developer-corner/python/installing-and-configuring-django-on-linux-shared-hosting

But I mainly need place for client website and so I was wondering if I miss something here (I still experience problems accessing clients.hostingireland.ie support page so I cant actually check them). I never used Amazon Lightsail and definitely have closer look there.

Yes I used to do all of that kind of thing, until I discovered Amazon Lightsail. These days I just spin up a server on Lightsail using one of the standard Bitnami stacks. The documentation is good and you can have everything up and running in no time.

The big advantage for me is that you can run the same stack more or less, locally in your own environment - Django or Nginx for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Lightsail isn’t what I would call cheap. It’s prices for containers in particular is crazy!

Last time I had to work with AWS for my job, it was a constant struggle to keep prices down after the struggle of understanding the prices!

Lightsail isn’t what I would call cheap. It’s prices for containers in particular is crazy!

Last time I had to work with AWS for my job, it was a constant struggle to keep prices down after the struggle of understanding the prices!

Well if $3.5 - $10 for a server or $7 - $15 for containers is too much for the type of project we're talking about.... is too much for your employer I don't know what to think about them....

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CodeApples

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well if $3.5 - $10 for a server or $7 - $15 for containers is too much for the type of project we're talking about.... is too much for your employer I don't know what to think about them....
    :) i guess there are all sorts of budgets.

You guys are hilarious. The point is at any scale, AWS prices are not “cheap” and they get you on storage, data transfer, etc etc.

But hey, if I didn’t explain myself well, make a “joke” with too many trailing periods after each sentence rather than ask for more info.

• Advertisement

You guys are hilarious. The point is at any scale, AWS prices are not “cheap” and they get you on storage, data transfer, etc etc.

But hey, if I didn’t explain myself well, make a “joke” with too many trailing periods after each sentence rather than ask for more info.

Read the requirements.... the OP is not asking for, nor are we suggesting some kind of large scale operation, in fact you seem to be the only one working on that misconception!

The OP asked about running one app and lightsail is ideal for that at $3.5 - $10 and represents go value when sacked against may of the shared hosting etc... offered by other providers.

Advertisement