Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the IFSC a safe area to live?

Options
  • 09-02-2021 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm moving to the IFSC next month. Is it safe? Considering that a woman was murdered there recently, I've been getting a little bit cagey about the move. Is it a rough area? I lived on Railway Street for a while, and it was rough, and whilst living there I used to walk down to the IFSC to get away from Railway Street and always found it pretty nice and quiet. Is it generally a sketchy area, or was the recent stabbing more a once off thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was living there on and off for a while over the last couple of years and for the most part it's a great place to live. You get gangs of teenagers from the locality hanging around but they're mostly harmless. There have been a few attacks of late but the reality is that can happen in most parts of Dublin, and they're probably more likely to happen in a densely populated area that has social problems traditionally.
    It's not perfect but if I could afford a place around there I'd definitely live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

That poor lady- to think to come here all the way from Mongolia & to suffer so much at the hands of a fourteen year old. Hard to know what to say.

However,would much agree with what TM posted there.

Think the key to living anywhere in Ireland is avoiding been baited by ten to sixteen year olds even if it means having to turn back.

If the apt & building feel nice for you go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say during winter it's safe during office hours, afterwards not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The gangs of teens used to just hang out near shops etc., but now they are mobile on their bikes/scooters, in large swarms, all dressed in black not a light between them. Allegedly 'not doing anything' though recent attacks would lead me to suspect otherwise. They are not just local kids either.

Some lovely apartments in the area and I suppose once you're in your door it's grand. A bit lifeless the further down you go from Connolly Station end.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Pre-Covid I would have said it was very safe in general, and still is during the day time, but while the lockdowns are in place town doesn't feel particularly safe after dark.

If you are moving there in a month, you should be grand. Restrictions are due to ease from March and the evenings will be getting longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

spurious wrote: »
    The gangs of teens used to just hang out near shops etc., but now they are mobile on their bikes/scooters, in large swarms, all dressed in black not a light between them. Allegedly 'not doing anything' though recent attacks would lead me to suspect otherwise. They are not just local kids either.

Some lovely apartments in the area and I suppose once you're in your door it's grand. A bit lifeless the further down you go from Connolly Station end.

Just to add my experience is that it is more lifeless down away from Connolly Station but there is significant development going on there at the moment so it is somewhere that might be more alive post-covid. It is nicer for sure down that part of the docks so the negative (or positive if you are like me) is just that it is quiet. Particularly as, once you go past Connolly Station from the IFSC, there are a lot of junkies around, even during the day it's not great. When I was living there we would go over to the southside for most things like walks, pubs, shops etc. so I'd recommend doing that rather than walking towards O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 portlygent

JPup wrote: »
    Pre-Covid I would have said it was very safe in general, and still is during the day time, but while the lockdowns are in place town doesn't feel particularly safe after dark.

If you are moving there in a month, you should be grand. Restrictions are due to ease from March and the evenings will be getting longer.

Yeah, to be honest towns a little sketchy anywhere really. Currently live just off Dame St. and there's been a noticeable increase in the amount of teenagers roaming the streets causing havoc. Or maybe its just that workers and pub-goers diluted these beforehand.

mvt wrote: »
    That poor lady- to think to come here all the way from Mongolia & to suffer so much at the hands of a fourteen year old. Hard to know what to say.

However,would much agree with what TM posted there.

Think the key to living anywhere in Ireland is avoiding been baited by ten to sixteen year olds even if it means having to turn back.

If the apt & building feel nice for you go for it

I know, terrible. Sounds cliched, but what put the runs into me was that it could've literally been anybody.

spurious wrote: »

True, I'm familiar enough with the area. The problem seems to have escalated somewhat recently. I've walked down Talbot st. scuttered drunk during the wee hours of the morning and never had a spot of bother. Although not pretty, people werent getting attacked back then.

I was living there on and off for a while over the last couple of years and for the most part it's a great place to live. You get gangs of teenagers from the locality hanging around but they're mostly harmless. There have been a few attacks of late but the reality is that can happen in most parts of Dublin, and they're probably more likely to happen in a densely populated area that has social problems traditionally.
    It's not perfect but if I could afford a place around there I'd definitely live there.

True, I'm in Dublin 8 at the moment, nice area but near enough some rough areas that there's certainly some unsavoury types and wee angles hanging around.

Generally i find the junkies easy to deal with, the issue is the teenagers who feel they have something to prove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Plenty of recent threads.

See my last post on this topic

IFSC is as safe as anywhere else in the city center (and safer than many other parts)

Advertisement