Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I take a sim card from an old iPhone and transfer it to a new one?

Options
  • 09-02-2021 7:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads and lasses, ultra quick question.

My brother has an iPhone 6S, and is looking to upgrade. It's his birthday so a few of us are coming together to get him either the 11 or 12 mini (still researching that).

I feel that it should be a simple sim card switch from his old phone to his new, but the one thing that worries me is, in the settings, it says "Network Provider Lock". Is that simply he can't put a sim card from a different provider into the old phone? Would it stop him putting the current sim card into a new phone?

He doesn't really want to change his contract, but I also don't want to buy him an expensive brick, lol.

Sorry if thats a very obvious question, but wanted to get confirmation before I organised it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey lads and lasses, ultra quick question.

My brother has an iPhone 6S, and is looking to upgrade. It's his birthday so a few of us are coming together to get him either the 11 or 12 mini (still researching that).

I feel that it should be a simple sim card switch from his old phone to his new, but the one thing that worries me is, in the settings, it says "Network Provider Lock". Is that simply he can't put a sim card from a different provider into the old phone? Would it stop him putting the current sim card into a new phone?

He doesn't really want to change his contract, but I also don't want to buy him an expensive brick, lol.

Sorry if thats a very obvious question, but wanted to get confirmation before I organised it. Thanks :)

Hi, network provider lock on his current phone refers to the fact that his phone can only be used with sims of a certain carrier, for example, if he’s Vodafone, his phone will only take Vodafone sims.

As long as you get him a phone that is either:
    A) unlocked to all networks (also advertised as sim-free although these phones still require a sim, this phrase just means the sim is network lock free so will accept a sim from any network)
    B) Locked to the Network that he currently is on.
    You will be fine, it’s a straight swap from the old to the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 suki500

The new phone needs to be unlocked or with the same service provider as his current phone. If so you just pop in the existing sim, you just need the SIM pass code. Remember to back up his old phone and restore everything to the new phone.

Advertisement