Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty Tips for Farmers

• 09-02-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

OK thats taking the proverbial - but once again we're back to that time of the year of dozens of roses and stepping up to the mark etc.

Anyone have any advice on hands that are as rough as a badgers arse and seasonally chapped lips? The cold weather obviously doesn't help - any cures or advice appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wear gloves, i wear milking ones. Just normally vaseline lip balm for the lips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Good roses always have thorns.... or is it every rose has it's thorn... I'm sure there's a 80s hair band song in there somewhere. Imperfection is true beauty.. bit of deodorant and you'll be grand man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

O keeffes handcream was popular in NZ i never got into it though. Bushmans facecream i tried out a few times before and seemed decent enough, could do with a few tins these days now too.
    Any word on barbers opening BTW? Think its the worst ive been in a long time now, also noticed the last year or so that the hair and beard grew a lot quicker and healthier than here over in Australia.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Get tub real Shea butter in a health shop or online good for hands. Failing that I do find neutrogena to be excellent to be fair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Avoid having wet hands in a cold wind.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

O keeffes handcream was popular in NZ i never got into it though. Bushmans facecream i tried out a few times before and seemed decent enough, could do with a few tins these days now too.
    Any word on barbers opening BTW? Think its the worst ive been in a long time now, also noticed the last year or so that the hair and beard grew a lot quicker and healthier than here over in Australia.

No hairdressers to open on on the 5th March. They being forwarded onto a future date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

greysides wrote: »
    Avoid having wet hands in a cold wind.

True this. You live and learn

Jb1989 wrote: »
    No hairdressers to open on on the 5th March. They being forwarded onto a future date.

Might have to go DIY so, que the "did she put her knickers on youre head when she did that to ye? Because she made a right ..... of that".

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I heard Varadkar ordered a clippers. I don't think he's going contract shearing though. Probably be able to get a sheep shearer before a barber this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Might have to go DIY so, que the "did she put her knickers on youre head when she did that to ye? Because she made a right ..... of that".

Put a bowl on your head and no one will be takeing the mick out of u :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

La roche posay hand cream and they also have a lip balm. Available in most chemists. Sounds a lot fancier than it actually is but is very good and reasonable price.
    You'll be gorgeous again in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Aye I forgot about the hair. The OH seems to do a fairly handy job of it alright. I have horse clippers but don't know if I'd try them on myself.

Put a bowl on your head and no one will be takeing the mick out of u :)

Ah if tbey didnt start by now i doubt theyll start over a dodgy haircut. One of the few lads left there with a good thick head of hair for now.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

For the hand's gloves are a help obviously, and keep them clean. If their manky, a good soaking and then wash with soap and a spoon of sugar.
    If they're still rough in the morning, some cheno on them under the milking gloves for a few hours, and you'll see some improvement.
    The worst thing I find on hands, is birthing fluid, ewes are even worse than cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I know we are all struggling with the lockdowns..........but this thread has pushed me over the edge.......I thought I was in AH for a minute:D:D:D:D

If I bought my missus flowers............she'd be wondering what did I do.....if I started worrying about my hands, she'd want to know where was I planning on putting them:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I picked up some carbolic soap the last time I was in the builders providers. Good to keep the covid away. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »
    OK thats taking the proverbial - but once again we're back to that time of the year of dozens of roses and stepping up to the mark etc.

Anyone have any advice on hands that are as rough as a badgers arse and seasonally chapped lips? The cold weather obviously doesn't help - any cures or advice appreciated ;)
    Get a large tub of E45 cream in your local chemist. Rub it into your hands before you go to sleep and cover your hands with cheap disposable gloves. Leave them on for as long as you can during the night and in a few nights your skin will improve. Also put it on when you head out in the morning/after dinner and try to dry your hands when they get wet.

Base price wrote: »
    Get a large tub of E45 cream in your local chemist. Rub it into your hands before you go to sleep and cover your hands with cheap disposable gloves. Leave them on for as long as you can during the night and in a few nights your skin will improve. Also put it on when you head out in the morning/after dinner and try to dry your hands when they get wet.

The skin at the back of my hands has a tendency to split in the winter time. Was advised by my doctor when I was down with her on another issue that the palm of your hands are the place to keep warm. Usually wear fingerless gloves when I'm out and about. Have also started wearing nitrile gloves under gloves. Find it cleans the muck engrained in the skin after a while as it sweats out the dirt. I never looked after my hands when I was younger, especially in winter out in fields, rough as fck now. Tried the E45 cream but I get itchy from it.

NcdJd wrote: »
    The skin at the back of my hands has a tendency to split in the winter time. Was advised by my doctor when I was down with her on another issue that the palm of your hands are the place to keep warm. Usually wear fingerless gloves when I'm out and about. Have also started wearing nitrile gloves under gloves. Find it cleans the muck engrained in the skin after a while as it sweats out the dirt. I never looked after my hands when I was younger, especially in winter out in fields, rough as fck now. Tried the E45 cream but I get itchy from it.
    Try emulsifying ointment, it comes in a large 500g container. It can be got over the counter from your local chemist - it's about €10/€12. Goose grease or duck fat is excellent and non irritating but you'd need to wear gloves after applying it.

Try emulsifying ointment, it comes in a large 500g container. It can be got over the counter from your local chemist - it's about €10/€12.

Will give it a go Base thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The worst thing I find on hands, is birthing fluid, ewes are even worse than cows.

On a related note, don't use Fairy Liquid as a lambing/calving lubricant. It's very, very good at what it's for.. removing fat. It will remove the protective fatty layer from your skin and allow it to dry out.
    Not sure how it works on the animal's birthday canal but I expect the volume of fluids passing out negates it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Will give it a go Base thanks for that.
    I edited my post in between your reply - try goose grease or duck fat as they don't cause irritation but would need to wear gloves after applying it.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I know we are all struggling with the lockdowns..........but this thread has pushed me over the edge.......I thought I was in AH for a minute:D:D:D:D

If I bought my missus flowers............she'd be wondering what did I do.....if I started worrying about my hands, she'd want to know where was I planning on putting them:P:P:P:P

Ara sure it was started as a humorous aside to the usual farming type stuff and the fact that the skin on the hands is equivalent to extra course 20 grade Sandpaper. The OH has even been giving out to me about them ;)

But on a serious note - I think it's maybe all to easy to let things slide during the pandemic. The hair was a case in point at one stage - as the advert goes I nearly had a hair dont as opposed to a hairdo...

But hey sure why shouldn't we want to look good. There's no doubt we are generally a handsome rugged bunch regardless of our sex. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭endainoz

Good roses always have thorns.... or is it every rose has it's thorn... I'm sure there's a 80s hair band song in there somewhere. Imperfection is true beauty.. bit of deodorant and you'll be grand man :D

https://youtu.be/I-pEep3tnFs

You mean this song right?!

I wouldn't have much in the way of beauty tips, but as someone who has dealt with ****e dry skin most of my adult life, Id recommend regular moisturising. Anything aveeno make is good and isn't harsh so you can throw as much as you want on.

endainoz wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/I-pEep3tnFs

You mean this song right?!

I wouldn't have much in the way of beauty tips, but as someone who has dealt with ****e dry skin most of my adult life, Id recommend regular moisturising. Anything aveeno make is good and isn't harsh so you can throw as much as you want on.

My hair is nearly as long as them lads at this stage. Was going to cut it yesterday morning but decided may as well go full metal at this stage and get a couple of megadeth t-shirts for the summer.. Not that I'll be going anywhere for the next few months the way things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Protect your skin, get some form of a sunhat. You'd be surprised how severe the Irish sun can be even when its dull. Cowboy hat is ideal as it really keeps the sun off your face or one of those round straw hats.
    Every farmer I know never looks after themselves, I know lads in there 40s that look like they are in there 70s. All weather beaten and sunburnt, add a bit of a beer gut, and don't bother with oral hygiene and they look like right tramps.

On a related note, don't use Fairy Liquid as a lambing/calving lubricant. It's very, very good at what it's for.. removing fat. It will remove the protective fatty layer from your skin and allow it to dry out.
    Not sure how it works on the animal's birthday canal but I expect the volume of fluids passing out negates it.

I think the old lad used sunflower or olive oil if I remember correctly. Kept the hands moisturised eitherway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

My sexy neighbour told me that she uses coconut oil if she’s a little dry below. She says it great to keep everything right. Top notch advice if you ask me. Maybe the ewes might like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cant beleive amount of lads that won’t wear gloves. Wearing pair of gloves is simple, reduces injury and protects skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My rough hands don't bother the quare wan here - since I started feeding silage before Xmas, she won't come within 3 feet of me either way!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My rough hands don't bother the quare wan here - since I started feeding silage before Xmas, she won't come within 3 feet of me either way!

You know it’s possible to feed it without rolling in it 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

_Brian wrote: »
    Cant beleive amount of lads that won’t wear gloves. Wearing pair of gloves is simple, reduces injury and protects skin.

Agree, wear gloves all day everyday for the last 25yrs. Saved many a cut or hurt hand. You can tackle jobs with out the risk or fear of cutting yourself. And the hands and nails don’t look like they they’ve never been washed.

Protect your skin, get some form of a sunhat. You'd be surprised how severe the Irish sun can be even when its dull. Cowboy hat is ideal as it really keeps the sun off your face or one of those round straw hats.
    Every farmer I know never looks after themselves, I know lads in there 40s that look like they are in there 70s. All weather beaten and sunburnt, add a bit of a beer gut, and don't bother with oral hygiene and they look like right tramps.

How do you look after yourself TooOldBoots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I always find it amusing after a few days on holidays how much better my hands look

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I always find it amusing after a few days on holidays how much better my hands look
    That is the one thing that I noticed too also the fact that my finger nails get a chance to grow ;)

• Advertisement

That is the one thing that I noticed too also the fact that my finger nails get a chance to grow ;)

You have fingernails! :pac: A few years ago - on a my way to the US - the poor US Pre-Clearance guy in Dublin had an an unholy time trying to scan my fingerprints. Reckon the ones that weren''t scarred were mostly abraded!

Anyone using Alpecin here? Cant seem to find it of late in the supermarkets or does anyone know of any alternaives?

Better living everyone

Advertisement