Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good nightvision security camera to capture outside of house from inside window

Options
  • 09-02-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all

I have a cheap Amazon camera hooked up to my inside window to capture outside. It is located at the window beside the front door. The only problem is the night vision on the camera is very poor, presumably because the window is "blocking" the camera as such. This was designed to be an outdoor camera but electrician thought it would be an idea to place it inside where it could be hooked up easily to broadband box. I'd hope to do the same again with another camera and I'd really welcome any suggestions! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

jordanbag wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a cheap Amazon camera hooked up to my inside window to capture outside. It is located at the window beside the front door. The only problem is the night vision on the camera is very poor, presumably because the window is "blocking" the camera as such. This was designed to be an outdoor camera but electrician thought it would be an idea to place it inside where it could be hooked up easily to broadband box. I'd hope to do the same again with another camera and I'd really welcome any suggestions! Thanks

You were badly advised, there is no camera that I know of, in the professional sphere that can be fitted inside a window to view the outside of same at night.

Your Infrared Illumination is probably bouncing off the window glass and messing up the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Needs to be outside. What camera is it? Also, what are you looking to capture and what’s the ambient light like where the camera is going? (Pitch black, good streetlight, security light with sensor near camera etc.).

The IR will bounce off the window as Kub says but on top of that it could have poor night vision capabilities depending on the camera.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As others have said, the IR of your camera is most likely reflecting off the window and causing it not to work. You might be able to somewhat fix this by turning off the IR on your camera and then use either outdoor lighting or an outdoor IR illuminator, it would avoid the issue of the IR reflecting off your window.

Though even then the window is likely to reduce vision, in particular at night. Ideally you want to put the camera outside.

If you have power available outside you can use a wifi camera. If you don't have power outside and you don't want to get an electrician in to run cables, then you could use external battery cameras, but they come with some downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Try mounting it back from the widow. If it is close to the window pane you will get reflections as stated above. I have a Wi-Fi camera in the porch viewing through a patio door pane.
    It works fine day and with IR at night.
    As others have said outdoor camera is the best solution.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All glazing since 2004 must have low e coating as an energy saving measure.

This essentially reflects infrared heat energy back to the inside, and disrupts far infrared rays externally.

As camera at night time use IR, its not at all surprising the picture is messed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jordanbag

Thank you everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All glazing since 2004 must have low e coating as an energy saving measure.

This essentially reflects infrared heat energy back to the inside, and disrupts far infrared rays externally.

As camera at night time use IR, its not at all surprising the picture is messed up

Yes the coating will indeed reflect IR but if the camera is positioned so the camera is not pointing directly at the glass but at a low angle the reflected signal will not hit the camera. So in my case the camera is mounted on the ceiling pointing down, about 30 degrees, so as to view the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

jordanbag wrote: »
    Hi all

Best option you have is getting the camera fitted outside as this will stop the issue of the leds reflecting off the glass at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kub wrote: »
    You were badly advised, there is no camera that I know of, in the professional sphere that can be fitted inside a window to view the outside of same at night.

Your Infrared Illumination is probably bouncing off the window glass and messing up the image.

Hikvision colorvu doesn't use IR but would need streetlight or some other external light for illumination. Otherwise, the built in white light LED would need to be enabled and might have the same reflection issue as the IR.

Advertisement