If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Room Audio

Options
  • 10-02-2021 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi, 

I have recently renovated my house and wired for speakers in 5No. locations with the central hub being the utility room. I'm an electrician by trade but haven't worked as an electrician for years so would be out of the loop on what multi room audio is available. 

My end goal was to have a 5 channel system which would give me the option of turning on/off speakers in particular rooms depending on the occasion with possibly a wall mounted control/master point in the kitchen. I'm not sure if there is a system on the market that would cater for this.

At the moment I have a budget and would like to get up and running in two rooms for now with a view of completing the other rooms when I have the funds.

Do you have any recommendations?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Hi, 

I have recently renovated my house and wired for speakers in 5No. locations with the central hub being the utility room. I'm an electrician by trade but haven't worked as an electrician for years so would be out of the loop on what multi room audio is available. 

My end goal was to have a 5 channel system which would give me the option of turning on/off speakers in particular rooms depending on the occasion with possibly a wall mounted control/master point in the kitchen. I'm not sure if there is a system on the market that would cater for this.

At the moment I have a budget and would like to get up and running in two rooms for now with a view of completing the other rooms when I have the funds.

Hi Left2guns,

Thanks for the post!

For multi room the best to go for that would give you the most control would be the Sonos however it can be an expensive option. You can add a Sonos amp to each zone and then these can be controlled via the Sonos app. This will allow you to link them all together or play independent zones with different music in each. You can also built the Sonos system as you go so you can start with two amps now and add on as many as you need as you expand the system:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203836-sonos-amp-black-inc-6-year-guarantee-network-amplifier.aspx?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Hi, 

Hi Left2guns,

Thanks for the post!

For multi room the best to go for that would give you the most control would be the Sonos however it can be an expensive option. You can add a Sonos amp to each zone and then these can be controlled via the Sonos app. This will allow you to link them all together or play independent zones with different music in each. You can also built the Sonos system as you go so you can start with two amps now and add on as many as you need as you expand the system:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203836-sonos-amp-black-inc-6-year-guarantee-network-amplifier.aspx?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David
    David,

Thanks for the response. 

Would it be possible to power 4No. speakers as a single zone set up for now using just one Amp?

What kind of speakers would you suggest? 

I'm planning on putting a set of speakers in the bathroom at some point so I'd need a suitably rated IP speaker too if one exists.

Is there a wall mounted controller available in the Sonos range?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Lefty2guns,

very few manufacturers are now making wall mounted dedicated controllers unless you look towards systems such as Crestron or Control4 - however most of the multi room system from say, Denon, Sonos, Yamaha Musiccast, Bluesound all use standard phone / pad software so if you wanted a dedicated control screen - all you have to do is to purchase a pad wall mount and that will function 100% and look great - however  in our experience, most Customers don't actually use centralised controllers, rather they either use Alexa or their own phone to control these systems.

Personally I have been through Opus / Denon HEOS / Sonos and I have now settled on Yamaha Musiccast as I think it is the best balance between performance and budget - especially for Customers like yourself who have different type of rooms and want to build their systems over time.

Musiccast is on a huge range of Yamaha products from the super little CRXN470 and the RN602 receiver ( that will power your 4(no) speakers for you no problem) right up to quite serious premium AV separates and it also includes surround systems, portable speakers and of course soundbars..

Have a browse around and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Hi Lefty2guns,

very few manufacturers are now making wall mounted dedicated controllers unless you look towards systems such as Crestron or Control4 - however most of the multi room system from say, Denon, Sonos, Yamaha Musiccast, Bluesound all use standard phone / pad software so if you wanted a dedicated control screen - all you have to do is to purchase a pad wall mount and that will function 100% and look great - however  in our experience, most Customers don't actually use centralised controllers, rather they either use Alexa or their own phone to control these systems.

Personally I have been through Opus / Denon HEOS / Sonos and I have now settled on Yamaha Musiccast as I think it is the best balance between performance and budget - especially for Customers like yourself who have different type of rooms and want to build their systems over time.

Musiccast is on a huge range of Yamaha products from the super little CRXN470 and the RN602 receiver ( that will power your 4(no) speakers for you no problem) right up to quite serious premium AV separates and it also includes surround systems, portable speakers and of course soundbars..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Thanks a lot.

Do you guys sell the Yamaha products mentioned above? Note, I see you do.

Looks like exactly what I need.

Can you recommend some decent speakers that go with it?

Thanks again.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Lefty2guns,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Thanks a lot.

Do you guys sell the Yamaha products mentioned above? Note, I see you do.

Looks like exactly what I need.

Can you recommend some decent speakers that go with it?

Thanks again.
    Hi Lefty2guns.

Are you looking for in-ceiling speakers you could use the Monitor Audio Pro 65 priced at 69 Euro each
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12812-monitor-audio-pro-65-each-in-ceiling-speakers-6-1-2-driver.aspx

Or there is a 5 pack for just 249 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13640-monitor-audio-pro65-trade-5-pack-in-ceiling-speakers-6-1-2-driver.aspx

If you wanted something a little better there is the C165 priced at 119 Each
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202897-monitor-audio-c165-in-ceiling-speaker-each.aspx

For bookshelf speakers again it really depends on budget and size of the speaker you are looking to have.
    You could check out the Monitor Audio Bronze 1 which are on a great deal of 129 Euro (Walnut Finish Only)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12899-monitor-audio-bronze-1-walnut-walnut-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Q Acoustics have the 3010 priced at 139 Euro (Limited Stock)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201174-q-acoustics-3010-graphite-matte-graphite-speaker-per-pair.aspx

When you start going up in price there is the Dali Spektor 2 priced at 219 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202964-dali-spektor-2-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Fyne Audio have the F300 priced at 229 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203655-fyne-audio-f300-walnut-walnut-speakers-per-pair.aspx

The NEW Monitor Audio Bronze 50 coming in at 289 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204718-monitor-audio-bronze-50-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

There is a fantastic deal on the Monitor Audio Studio's at just 349 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13407-monitor-audio-studio-satin-grey-satin-grey-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Let me know if any of these might be in the right ball park.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.