Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish life vs Zurich fees

• 10-02-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Wonder if anyone has any experience of a personal pension with either of these providers? I found Irish Life to be more thorough in explaining the ins and outs, but the fees seem to be light and day:

Irish Life (I’m going through AIB) have an approx 3.75% contribution charge which would therefore cost me about €350 a year (not to mention any lost interest on gains). Whereas Zurich just have a €3.5 Euro monthly fee, no contribution charge at all, IE totaling €42 a year. Seems a complete no brainer. Am I missing something? Why is Zurich’s offer *so* much better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Personally, I would not buy any pension with 3.75% cont charge.

Pensions are available with 0% cont charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cameron326

Exactly. But why do they charge it? who would pay such a high rate when most other companies offer zero contribution charges. Is there a catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Preying on peoples lack of understanding with pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Cameron326 wrote: »
    Exactly. But why do they charge it? who would pay such a high rate when most other companies offer zero contribution charges. Is there a catch?

I'd say a fair chunk of it goes to AIB in this scenario

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well what investing objective, performance, risk and diversification...

In other words what are you paying for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Cameron326 wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone has any experience of a personal pension with either of these providers? I found Irish Life to be more thorough in explaining the ins and outs, but the fees seem to be light and day:

Irish Life (I’m going through AIB) have an approx 3.75% contribution charge which would therefore cost me about €350 a year (not to mention any lost interest on gains). Whereas Zurich just have a €3.5 Euro monthly fee, no contribution charge at all, IE totaling €42 a year. Seems a complete no brainer. Am I missing something? Why is Zurich’s offer *so* much better?

Irish life is cross sold by AIB, so trash.

Irish life is cross sold by AIB, so trash.

The OP told you that, so unless you are going to back up that statement with some sort of analysis. It's best ignored.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This thread is another example of the standard mindset here - buy a cheap product.

I'd argue that whilst pricing is obviously a consideration, using the most appropriate structure together with superior asset and fund selection are much more important ones long term, and that minimum cost solutions will ultimately cost most consumers more through mistakes caused by the lack of proper advice.

Cheapest isn't always best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This thread is another example of the standard mindset here - buy a cheap product.

I'd argue that whilst pricing is obviously a consideration, using the most appropriate structure together with superior asset and fund selection are much more important ones long term, and that minimum cost solutions will ultimately cost most consumers more through mistakes caused by the lack of proper advice.

Cheapest isn't always best.

I hear you but at 3.75% there would want to be some serious difference in performance right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I hear you but at 3.75% there would want to be some serious difference in performance right?

It'd want to be >3.75%p.a. better ;)

• Advertisement

I expect it’s because we don’t teach personal finance at school, so people simply decisions as much as possible.

I qualified in Ireland and moved abroad shortly afterwards, so most of my work experience was in Central Europe. And the only people I found knowledgeable about their financial affairs were Swiss trades people. And the reason: every apprentice must take a module in personal finance. They cover all the basics: banking, insurance, pensions, credit cards, loans, tax returns and investing.

But beyond that, we as a society do a very poor job of preparing people to make decisions that will impact their life’s for decades to come. They are left to try and figure it out for themselves and most do a very poor job of it.

bilbot79 wrote: »

Well given the consensus return on equities is about 7%, I’d want to see double digit returns for that kind of fee, but I’m in a different market.. Although Zürich is one of the vendors here too.

Advertisement