Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your car needing its annual service essential travel?

Options
  • 10-02-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

I just got a text booking me in for my cars annual service.
    And just got to thinking that its not actually essential.
    Called the garage and said, i would wait til travel restrictions are lifted and then book, they said to me that not going might invalidate the warranty.
    Cheeky or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

I would class it as essential to follow manufacturer's maintenance programme if you are planning to use the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I just got a text booking me in for my cars annual service.
    And just got to thinking that its not actually essential.
    Called the garage and said, i would wait til travel restrictions are lifted and then book, they said to me that not going might invalidate the warranty.
    Cheeky or what?

If you use it for work or caring for vulnerable people ect then I'd consider it essential. I got mine done a few weeks ago and it's going back in for more work in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If you use it for work or caring for vulnerable people ect then I'd consider it essential. I got mine done a few weeks ago and it's going back in for more work in a couple of weeks.

Its been sitting in the driveway for nearly a year.
    I doubt its been 500Km since last March :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

Most (if not all) manufacturers have a time based schedule as well as a distance travelled one. Items deteriorate even when parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'd just get it done. Is the garage far from you ?

• Advertisement

I'd just get it done. Is the garage far from you ?

I think i'll just get it done alright.
    Probably better to get it over with.
    Garage is about 50km from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think i'll just get it done alright.
    Probably better to get it over with.
    Garage is about 50km from me.

They refused to let people through the checkpoint here last week when going for a car service. The garage started sending texts to those booked for services, confirming the appointment for the "urgent safety recall" that needed attention.

So it seems the interpretation of essential is not standard.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They refused to let people through the checkpoint here last week when going for a car service. The garage started sending texts to those booked for services, confirming the appointment for the "urgent safety recall" that needed attention.

So it seems the interpretation of essential is not standard.

Would annoy me to have to turn back alright.
    But the biggest thing thats annoying me is ive to hang around all day, with nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would annoy me to have to turn back alright.
    But the biggest thing thats annoying me is ive to hang around all day, with nothing to do.

Why hang around? My wife took her's for a service last week - 40 minutes wait and home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I dunno about car, but I definitely need an essential service. New parts completely.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Why hang around? My wife took her's for a service last week - 40 minutes wait and home again.

These guys expect it in the morning and wont say how long it will take. Some time after lunch is the estimate.
    I'll go anyway, but i hope it doesnt rain :)

Advertisement