Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hate my job - what to do?

• 10-02-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I hate my job. It's a respectable job, socially useful in theory, but in reality I feel I am contributing nothing, it's a waste of my time and I don't enjoy the work at all. I want to quit but it's a good income and I have a family to support. What should I do?

Backstory: I finished college in the recession, got the only job I could which was not really of interest to me. After a few years, desperate for a change, I left to do postgrad. That led to me working in an academic career. I don't think I had a good sense of what this career would be like when I was getting started. I absolutely hate it. I work as a researcher and it's just me and my computer all day, every day writing papers doing analyses etc. There's almost no supervision of my work so I find it impossible to stay focused, especially with kids home being noisy at the moment. I've been unhappy for years but stayed in this career because it was supporting my family when my partner's work was unstable. Partner now has a predictable income so I could walk away but I'd be leaving good money with no good alternatives available. We've agreed I'll change careers after my current contract is up but I don't know if I can do even another year or two. I keep waiting for somebody at work to realise I'm not really getting much done. I am disgusted with myself for not working harder but find it so difficult to get motivated.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Sound like your in a good position. Look at it positively. Partners working, your currently working and educated in a field. You've decided to make a career change/move in your field. This is good. Look at it that way. Not to be too hippie dippy but try to be positive. Get on linkedin/other job site and look whats out there. What other fields can you transition into? From the point you start applying for stuff, give it 6 months. If your still in the same situation at that point re access (qualification relevance, scope of jobs you're applying to).
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I hadn't thought of it like that. Thank you. I suppose I'm stuck in my own head these days and not seeing the positives in the situation. I'm lucky to be in a position where I have choices.

I'd really appreciate the perspective of anybody who's decided to leave a career that they didn't enjoy. I'm unlikely to find something in my local area that is related to my current work so it'll have to be a big move. On the one hand, I think I'm too old to start something different, I have financial responsibilities etc., so should just put up with it. On the other hand, I tell myself life is too short to waste time on something that you hate. It's bad for my own mental health and makes me a worse partner, parent etc.

So, people who've changed careers: how do you decide it's time to jump? Or if you didn't, how did you decide to just stick with it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Have you considered consulting a career coach? (Not life coach) I did previously and though it was 100 per hour it was well worth it. I had 2 hours in person (pre covid) and then a phone call which was not charged.

I suppose the thing to remember is that it often takes time to settle into a career you enjoy. And nothing is going to happen overnight. You need to do a lot of soul searching, research, and networking. And then be prepared to perhaps take on something more junior in a new industry while you work your way up.

I made the move from an industry I loved but salaries were generally low to a completely different one that I love much less but it pays well - out of financial necessity. But I am working towards moving into a slightly different area in another year and hope to achieve the holy grail of good money + enjoyable job.

You are fortunate that you and your partner are both working and earning so take solace in that and know your current role isn’t forever - if you put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I would be similar to yourself, work in a field that absolutely bores me to tears. I don't have a partner so walking away from it isn't an option.

However as a result of lockdown by hours have been cut a bit, I'm self employed so currently the hours I'm doing allow me to earn enough to be financially stable. I've been talking to a life/career coach on how to proceed.

One of my biggest issues is that I don't actually know what I want do to or would be good enough at to make a living, I fell into my current career from school. So I've signed up for some cheap online courses in areas I'm interested in and am going to do them over the next few months to get a feel for them and see if I would actually be interested in taking a career forward in one of them. I'll take it from there then.

As your partner can financially support your family, perhaps look at some options and what they would involve for you to move, is it a case of upskilling or a complete change and what that entails...good luck

Advertisement