Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain the CPD requirement for Post-Primary teachers?

Options
  • 10-02-2021 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Our school emailed us asking us to fill out a form with all CPD that we have completed to date this year. Everyone in the school seems to have a different interpretation of what this means, with some people putting in department meetings and the like

I thought CPD was a course you attended that a cert was given out at the end? Is CPD mandatory and what counts as CPD?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

In my school it has been decide that the 10 hours are to be divided up. 3 for CPD, 3 for subject department meets and 4 for extra meetings required.
    I may be slighted off with the hours but it adds up the the 10 discretionary hours.
    For CPD I have done a good few more than the required 3 hours and all have been evening zooms/ webinars due to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

TypicalDub wrote: »
    Our school emailed us asking us to fill out a form with all CPD that we have completed to date this year. Everyone in the school seems to have a different interpretation of what this means, with some people putting in department meetings and the like

I thought CPD was a course you attended that a cert was given out at the end? Is CPD mandatory and what counts as CPD?

Thanks !

Continuing Professional Development has been engaged with by embarking on a self guided exploration of digital online learning.
    I have watched every tutorial known to man on Google Classroom and Teams.
    I hereby submit my 60+ hours for consideration for the next 10 years CPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Treppen wrote: »
    Continuing Professional Development has been engaged with by embarking on a self guided exploration of digital online learning.
    I have watched every tutorial known to man on Google Classroom and Teams.
    I hereby submit my 60+ hours for consideration for the next 10 years CPD.

I'll print you a certificate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TypicalDub wrote: »

Thanks !

Any extra course you attend outside school hours, but also any inservice that you attend inside or outside school hours.

We had a day of Junior Cycle inservice before midterm, that will be on my CPD list. We had a day of Teams training in October/November, that will also be on the list. I'm also doing a couple of modules with Open University at the moment off my own back, but it will be also going on my CPD list. Any of the courses that the teachers centres offer can go on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The one thing that I do believe should be on the list is professional reading. Obviously, this is very hard to prove unless you write a review but it is still something which should be encouraged.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The one thing that I do believe should be on the list is professional reading. Obviously, this is very hard to prove unless you write a review but it is still something which should be encouraged.

I have to agree with you here. I'm currently doing a postgrad which involves a lot of reading, when I Google my topic and it is amazing the amount of papers available with fantastic insights and strategies. A year ago, I would have said there is not enough time in the day but if you were to read the abstract and conclusions of papers, it could spark an interest in reading the entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be honest if CPD days involved giving us a few papers to read and ask us to write something about them at the end of it - no bloody group work, post its or ghost walks - it might actually be more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

To be honest if CPD days involved giving us a few papers to read and ask us to write something about them at the end of it - no bloody group work, post its or ghost walks - it might actually be more productive.

The only way a teacher really improves is through self directed deliberative practice that is informed by research. If a teacher wants to improve, it is relatively easy to do with the wealth of research available. Improve your subject knowledge, general pedagogical knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, curriculum building knowledge and assessment knowledge.

However, there are also some awful examples of CPD (How to get a H1 in X/ This is a H1/Distinction answer show and tell types/Any CPD that deals with exam questions as their sole focus) that can lead teachers to feeling very good about themselves but lead to little actual professional growth. They are like grinds for teachers. They provide a big boost of confidence but very little long term benefit. These are always highly attended as well.

The only way a teacher really improves is through self directed deliberative practice that is informed by research. If a teacher wants to improve, it is relatively easy to do with the wealth of research available. Improve your subject knowledge, general pedagogical knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, curriculum building knowledge and assessment knowledge.

However, there are also some awful examples of CPD (How to get a H1 in X/ This is a H1/Distinction answer show and tell types/Any CPD that deals with exam questions as their sole focus) that can lead teachers to feeling very good about themselves but lead to little actual professional growth. They are like grinds for teachers. They provide a big boost of confidence but very little long term benefit. These are always highly attended as well.

I do agree that there are benefits in these courses (I only attended one but was established by that) especially for NQTs - I left the dip not really knowing how to correct/mark a written piece. For the above, my advice for anyone struggling is to mark for the SEC - it is the best CPD you can attend.

Advertisement