Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Valentine: Roses are red, violations are blue, do be, do be do be do.

Comments

Clon63 wrote: »
    No harm if it were to go. ( Funny Friday that is)

I hope the NAtional Womens Council put out a statement calling out this blatant sexism...

Just after they put out one condemning the blatant sexism suffered by former female solicitors who receive a much lesser sentence after pleading guilty to the same crime as a male solicitor.

I haven't followed the case except what I heard on Liveline. Does anyone know on what "grounds" yer wan got the lesser sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Better-Call-Saul-wedding.jpg

picture: keith and lyndsey

Maybe Joe hates them because the law students used to look down on him at Trinners so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I haven't followed the case except what I heard on Liveline. Does anyone know on what "grounds" yer wan got the lesser sentence?

No grounds. Women just get lesser sentences.
    It has been suggested it might be because they have a child but that would imply that men do not have equal responsibility for bringing up a chisler, which they do.
    So it’s just blatant sexism which seems to be ok in this woke world as long as it favours women.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Listened back Joe really hates that pair (the two solicitors). IMO they deserved what they got. He seems to think that stealing from a bank is EVIL but not paying substantial tax and therefore stealing from the State is just an oversight. Remember his feelings towards the multi million tax fraud carried out by GarlicMan wuth his elaborate scam. Not to mention his empathy with poor old Doctor Sam who in an oversight channelled all his private patients' fees into a secret bank account for the non payment of tax.

The EVIL EVIL EVIL rant was way over the top (For a minute I thought he had got his interview with the organiser of the money making Miss Ireland event). Remember his fixation with Catherine Nevin who was convicted of arranging the MURDER of her husband - and we were treated to a tribute show when she passed, so to speak. Not to mention the fact that shegad to plan her crime with another person, somethinghe thinks is remarkable.

Joe is usually so sensitive about labelling people. He will check callers for referring to the unwell as junkies and drug addicts are jyst cast down.

That journo was great also. A fluent, clear abd concise approach to the story. He checked Joe a few times when he tried to hype up elements of the story (like the FG link), admitted he didnt know things if he didnt know things (what the misspelt word was) and just tried to keep to the facts rather than over tabloid the story as per the host.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    No grounds. Women just get lesser sentences.
    It has been suggested it might be because they have a child but that would imply that men do not have equal responsibility for bringing up a chisler, which they do.
    So it’s just blatant sexism which seems to be ok in this woke world as long as it favours women.

Needs to be examined and called out, if there were any journalists with enough guts to do so, and who weren't afraid to be pilloried on social meeja or have to build a security perimeter like Stephen Donnelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Joe gave the example of the spelling mistake might be something along the lines of there being two E's in the word 'electricity'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jimmy Savile was evidently an evil cnut from the first ever day he appeared on TV. My mother used always remark that he was a disgusting creature and always up to no good regarding children, but that people seem to be fooled by him for some reason.

was she from the north of england by any chance?? it was an open secret around those parts i do believe

fryup wrote: »
    was she from the north of england by any chance?? it was an open secret around those parts i do believe

From Donnybrook, caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well she must have been a good judge of character

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

From Donnybrook, caller.

Not even North Dublin!

• Advertisement

Clon63 wrote: »
    Not even North Dublin!

From de house next door to De Valera; the family kept Dev's birth certificate hidden in safekeeping under the carpet on a step of the stairs. My grandfather, Chris Cornwall, brought said document in a pram under a baby wheeled by Sinéad Bean Uí De Valera under the cover of darkness during curfew to Frank Aiken outside the USA consulate on Adelaide Road. My grandmother, Annie Scott, was shot at by the Black & Tans whilst carrying my uncle who was a baby. I think Joe might have approved of the family :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I gave up early today. Cheap tabloid muckraking. Ya. they did wrong. Not deserving of the Sun/Star/Mirror/ Mail type reportage. Far worse criminals out there that should be locked up for a long time.

How much did Charlie Haughey rob off the Irish people? You won't hear joe calling him or any other FFers "Evil".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

bmorrissey wrote: »

Catherine Murphy sounds like a buzz-killer.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

sligojoek wrote: »
    I gave up early today. Cheap tabloid muckraking. Ya. they did wrong. Not deserving of the Sun/Star/Mirror/ Mail type reportage. Far worse criminals out there that should be locked up for a long time.

How much did Charlie Haughey rob off the Irish people? You won't hear joe calling him or any other FFers "Evil".

Joe's modus operandi is always "Look here...not there".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »

Tru dat. And regular listeners to Da Lahn Lahn would be led to believe dat Ivan Calorie is the second greatest Irish politician of all time, only topped by Saint Bartholomew Ahern of De Drumcondra Parish so to speak. Both men true die-hard FFers, and both with impeccable financial records and reputations.
    :rolleyes:

One of Saint Bartholomen's many (financial) miracles was to turn water into wine dollars into euros https://www.irishtimes.com/news/45-000-lodged-in-bank-belonged-to-ahern-1.487760 , as well as making other large sums of cash disappear - no doubt to feed the poor or to provide housing assistance for those more in need dan himself. :rolleyes:

And Saint Ivan de great self-flagellator was doin' de hurtin' ta himself so much through all of his misdeeds so to speak (which Mr. Duffy forgot to mention of course of course) dat Joe asked for him ta be left alone and asked "hasn't he suffered enough?"

Though I considered myself somewhat of an expert on Calorie (incl. almost breaking boards once with a list of his misdeeds), this was a new one to me:
    A colleague recalls the day, many years ago, when he was a junior minister in a hurry and she had occasion to interview him.

Pride of place in the room was a large portrait of the man himself looking very statesmanlike and wearing an impressive gold chain of office.

“Gosh Ivor, I never realised you were lord mayor of Dublin. When was that?” she asked, standing back to better admire this work of art.

“Oh no,” replied Ivor. “That’s when I was chairman of the Eastern Health Board.” But there’s a vaguely unsettling aspect to this whole Callely circus.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/miriam-lord-s-week-1.683288

Joe's modus operandi is always "Look here...not there".

"Follow de money...............unless it leads to Fianna Fail or Claddagh Green so to speak"

"Follow de money...............unless it leads to Fianna Fail or Claddagh Green so to speak"

I will be passing very close to Claddagh Green very soon, caller.

For anyone interested, a thread here on Sil Fox and the wrongful case that was taken against him:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058089858/23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

Joe wasn’t going to give them any credit to call this scam sophisticated. He wouldn’t acknowledge that they were smart people but described them as evil.he really has a personal gripe with these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I will be passing very close to Claddagh Green very soon, caller.

I passed Joe’s abode in Clontarf a couple of years ago, while doing the Harbour2Harbour walk. A family with a dog were walking in opposite direction. The dog wanted to relieve himself, so to speak.

“Wait”, said the owner. “You can have a shyte outside Joe Duffy’s house”.

• Advertisement

I passed Joe’s abode in Clontarf a couple of years ago, while doing the Harbour2Harbour walk. A family with a dog were walking in opposite direction. The dog wanted to relieve himself, so to speak.

Wat colour was de dog?

Wat colour was de dog?

and name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

cozar wrote: »
    and name?
    Was it Mayday, Mayday by any chance?

Bif wrote: »
    Was it Mayday, Mayday by any chance?

you wont hear MAYDAY MAYDAY again from Joe. probably will come up with something stupid like Easter rising.

Very strange radiographer. I know they ask you repeatedly your name, date of birth and part of body to be imaged, but there was definitely something amiss about the repetitiousness of it, it was like 10 times in 3 minutes at one point. Almost like very early Alzheimer's, or OCD or something. Seemed very distracted.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148866dcf5a604200731b500f203b724ea27f939548b5&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One for the Pets of De Lockdown board if ever there was one.

you wont hear MAYDAY MAYDAY again from Joe. probably will come up with something stupid like Easter rising.

The ease-terring of restrictions..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148866dcf5a604200731b500f203b724ea27f939548b5&rid=giphy.gif

Isn't skateboarding on a stairs kinda....dangerous like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This actually made me LOL :):)

Joe's residence is actually in Dollymount, it's testate-agent speak so to speak to describe it as Clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Joe wasn’t going to give them any credit to call this scam sophisticated. He wouldn’t acknowledge that they were smart people but described them as evil.he really has a personal gripe with these two.

you can give away your bank details to strangers over the telephone = sophisticated scam

When he gets an actual sophisticated scam on the show, he won't call it that. Very strange all round. Wonder what his personal gripe is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what colour was the dog poo ? White like the old days ?

That little outing to Hermitage has been the most exciting thing I've done since Christmas, such is lockdown :D

In spite of strange radiographer, the surgeon was absolutely lovely. What a sweet guy, and quietly witty, highly recommend him. Delighted to hear the prosthetic joint is extremely well bedded in and that my bones have gone from strength to strength, and that I must have worked very hard to get it to this success. As he said "I'm an old-fashioned surgeon who does everything, so any joint you want doing I'll be happy to do it without GP referral". That's the way to get my business!

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Isn't skateboarding on a stairs kinda....dangerous like.

De compo is good though.

• Advertisement

When I awoke at Stupid O'Clock this morning I started listening back to yesterday's show. De version online has been crudely edited at least twice in the first 40mins.

Katie in twoday. A break-een for de hardest wurkin' man in de wurldid and dat twoday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Katie is on

must be a groveling apology on the way

Jaysus. Taxi driver who killed a doctor in a hit and run went and got another fare AFTER he killed de pedestrian - WTAF?

Won't be in twoday, enjoy.

Katie Hannon

Man killed by taxi when he returned home to Cork, driver jailed, horrific.

Living with Covid plan. Small building site closed, others can open, from yesterday.

Erecting headstones forbidden in pandemic.

Insurance premiums gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Katie Hannon.

Man knocked down by taxi driver.

Living with Covid plan.

Building sites can't open. Clip from the other day.

Headstones can't be erected in graveyards. Loved ones are upset.

Why aren't insurance premiums being slashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Joe having a breakeen today (or working on his next buke perhaps). Katie in the chair so to speak.

The family of a road traffic victim don't want their relative remembered as a statistic.

More lockdown.

Domestic building sites that can't stay open, yet social housing sites can.

Why are insurance premiums going up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Katie!!!!!!!

Apology due today?

Hit and run in cork. Taxi driver that hit him got 4 years and seems like a really scummy carachter. This is a "not a statistic" type call.

Clip from Joe re building sites remaining closed.

Erecting headstones in graveyards not permitted! Joe will be pulling the headstone off himself over that.

Insurance premiums all going up.

Good variety there, wonder will Katie stick the plan? Also wonder does she get access to the joe@rte.ie email account. Could be some gruesome stuff on that.

When I awoke at Stupid O'Clock this morning I started listening back to yesterday's show. De version online has been crudely edited at least twice in the first 40mins.

Katie in twoday. A break-een for de hardest wurkin' man in de wurldid and dat twoday.

Maybe he's having his balls seen to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Joe is off on holiday with Blue or maybe he's away off in Cork investigating evil solicitors. Katie Hannon is in the chair, so to speak, but Joe left her a homework sheet...
    • The case of a fatal hit and run in Cork. Just when you though it couldn't get more tragic.....
    • Construction sites. Those Jumbo Breakfast Roll munching, Hard Hat wearing, bad quote making law breakers are still at it.
    • Erecting gravestones and Covid 19; you can't be don't that either. Especially if Granny hasn't snuffed it yet.
    • Car Insurance is rising and the dinner is cooking.

Lots of guff to keep us busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Ahh brilliant, a breath of fresh air with KT today thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jaysus. Taxi driver who killed a doctor in a hit and run went and got another fare AFTER he killed de pedestrian - WTAF?

Between that and the headstone story. There's so much scope for tears and misery. He must be seriously injured to miss an opportunity like this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

apology incoming??

A 75-year-old former taxi driver has been jailed for four years after he pleaded guilty to his involvement in a hit and run in which a consultant psychiatrist was killed as he walked back to his hotel in Cork following a Christmas party with his colleagues.

Cork Circuit Criminal Court heard that 49-year-old married father of three, Martin Lawlor, died at the scene on the Airport road in Cork city shortly after 5.30 am on December 15th, 2018.

Garda Brid Norris told the court that Lawlor was walking along the road in poor weather conditions when he was hit by a taxi driven by Denis McSweeney of Pouladuff Road in Ballyphehane, Cork.

Garda Norris said that the stretch of road was without street lighting and that there was heavy rain and dense fog when the incident occurred.

Mr McSweeney, who was without previous convictions, told gardai that he panicked and left the scene without stopping. He initially claimed that he thought he may have hit an animal.

The pensioner failed to raise the alarm. Mr McSweeney's body was discovered shortly after the collision. The scene was cordoned off with diversions being put in place.

Mr McSweeney went to a hotel to pick up another fare which coincidentally was to Cork airport. He was stopped by gardai after they noticed significant damage to his vehicle. This included damage to the windscreen and wing mirrors.

Initially McSweeney was evasive with Gardaí. However, when he was arrested and detained he accepted that he had struck a pedestrian.

Garda Norris said that Mr McSweeney immediately gave up driving and voluntarily surrendered his license. He had driven a taxi for 15 to 20 years. He worked all his life primarily as a milkman.

Donal O Sullivan, Junior Counsel, representing Mr McSweeney said that his client was extremely remorseful for his actions.

He insisted that McSweeney "panicked" and didn't seem to appreciate what had happened. He stated that his client lived in nearby Ballyphehane but such was his panic that he continued driving rather than going home.

Mr O'Sullivan said that his client couldn't turn back the clock much as he wished that his panic hadn't taken him over.

Helen Murphy Lawlor, wife of the deceased, delivered her victim impact statement via video link from her home in Manchester.

Mr Lawlor, who was a native of Tralee, Co Kerry lived in Manchester but travelled to Ireland for work. He also had family in the Millstreet area of County Cork.

Mrs Lawlor said that December 2018 was a time of excitement with the festive season and two upcoming birthday celebrations for their daughters Jennifer and Rebecca.

Cork
    "Instead of Martin coming through the door at 930am, I get a phonecall from his brother John to let me know that Martin had been knocked down and killed by a car while walking towards Cork Airport.

Myself and our three children made the lonely journey from Manchester to Cork. There we were soon to be reunited with Martin -- home for the last time in a coffin. "

Mrs Lawlor said it was hard to put their loss into words.

"Jennifer lost her father at 18, Samuel aged 14 and Rebecca was only 12 years of age. He is forever absent from the happy times. He is forever absent in difficult times of sickness, worry and loss. I will forever miss my best friend and confidante, my husband of 25 years."

Mrs Lawlor said that her husband was at the peak of his powers professionally with the HSE and Nua healthcare and was "renowned and respected" for his work. He also did a considerable amount of charity work.

Mrs Lawlor added that she was finding it difficult to come to terms with the circumstances of his death.

"Being unable to say goodbye was hard and cruel. For such a good and caring man to be left to die on the road alone and the driver left the scene seemingly without compassion or concern is very difficult for us to comprehend."

Dr Susan Lawlor, a sister of the deceased, also delivered a victim impact statement in which she paid tribute to the dedication of her brother who was a champion of mental health.

She said Dr Lawlor "went above and beyond was asked of him” professionally and was kind and loving.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-taxi-driver-jailed-four-19760949

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

apology incoming??

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement