Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are you people on music charts these days? Honestly I would not have a clue today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm going to have to pull you on this one. While I agree that much more of it is forgettable and derivative auto-tuned samey-samey stuff, there has been some great songs over the last decade (getting regular radio play), just they're fewer and farther between than before I think.

Since you said from 2010 onwards, I'll list a few memorable tracks in my opinion, I don't like them all, but they are recognisable songs;

2010:
    2011: Adele - Rolling In The Deep/Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
    2012: Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know/Fun - We Are Young
    2013: Macklemore - Can't Hold Us/The Lumineers - Ho Hey
    2014: Pharrell Williams - Happy/Bastille - Pompeii
    2015: Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk/Walk The Moon - Shut Up and Dance
    2016: Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out/Mike Posner - Took A Pill In Ibiza
    2017: The Weeknd - Star Boy/Niall Horan - Slow Hands

...then I start to run out, but I'm sure there are a few

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but your tune choice is terrible. It's good that it's not autotuned, but it's bland as anything

quokula wrote: »
    I don't buy that "music used to be better" or whatever, everyone just forms an attachment to whatever they listened to in their formative years and it is all entirely subjective. A decade or two from now there'll be people saying new stuff is nowhere near as good as what was popular when they were a teenager in 2021.

These threads crop up monthly, and the correct response to the Aul lads moaning about how their teenage decade was the last time for decent music is to refer them to the BBC 4 repeats of old episodes of Top of the Pops. Most of it is ****e, with the occasional banger. Just like now, the best stuff isn't as commercially successful as the ****e.

The only criticism I would have for these days is that the ****e is similar because it's easier to target a specific popular sound given the amount of data that's obtained from streaming.

A band such as pink floyd are a great example, somewhere in the wide spectrum of sounds in the mix , there could be an Irishman talking, someone banging a door or ringing a bell , or any number of subtle sound effects that are not there to be obvious but there to be discovered...

Nowadays we have the “loudness war “ where such subtleties are not required, instead of challenging the listener , the producer is expecting you to be listening on a sh1tty format or in a shop and only wants you to hear a portion of the production but wants that portion in your face and louder than everything else you hear

I prefer people like our own Kevin shields in his lab experimenting with amps and mics and sh1t
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Pink Floyd only had two top ten singles (one probably help by a fancy video). It's exactly the same as now, decent bands are doing their thing now and will be remembered when the ****e fades from memory.

Cliff Richards, Village People and Dr Hook were more popular than Pink Floyd in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

McGaggs wrote: »
    Pink Floyd only had two

Cliff Richards, Village People and Dr Hook were more popular than Pink Floyd in those days.
    Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

AMKC wrote: »
    15 years ago I knew who was number 1 in the charts and cared about music. There was still some good music back then. I used to love buying the top singles and albums of singers I liked.

Now do I honestly do not have a clue. Do they even have charts these days and if so where do you buy a single or an album anymore. Not in Tesco anyway.
    So anyone here still by music or know who is number 1 and for how long?

The singles chart still exists.
    Chart position is determined by 1) streaming figures + 2) download sales + 3) physical sales

Some artists still release physical singles - New Order and Pet Shop Boys being two. Usually on 12" & CD single. Some others will release 7" singles. You can buy them in a record shop or via online retailers.

Likewise for the album charts. Most albums do get a physical release. CD sales are declining, LP sales are increasing but CDs still shift way more units which is what counts - not revenue.

If you want a snapshot of what the charts are like, buy the latest Now That's What I Call Music album. The numbered series still comes out three times a year - March/April, July & November. Now 107 is the current volume. As a snapshot of pop trends and as a historical artefact of what's popular at the time (rather than retrospectively), it's the closest you'll get. Now 106 CD2 was full of grime bangers; surprisingly entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

These threads crop up monthly, and the correct response to the Aul lads moaning about how their teenage decade was the last time for decent music is to refer them to the BBC 4 repeats of old episodes of Top of the Pops. Most of it is ****e, with the occasional banger. J.

It was never THIS shiet though.

Like, people may have thought Britney, or Boyzone, or Take That, or Wham were cheesey unlistenable muck 20- 35 years ago, because at the time they were locked in to how good the latest dance tunes/ Britpop/ Madchester/ 90s hip hop was (and they were brilliant, and will never be repeated), but as time goes on there's something a bit fun about them if they come on in a club when you're full of soup.

I think in 30 years most people will still think pretty much all 21st century pop music was just charmless rubbish. I don't think anything Ariana Grande or Cadri B has ever made will be regarded as an even cheesey classic. They won't be able to fill stadia in 30 years the same way that Madonna or 90's boybands still manage to do on the back of three decade old music.

Even guitar bands. 30 years from now who will still be touring that currently makes hits? Coldplay, at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Looking at the lineup of electric picnic and that, I might know 1 person. I know it’s not exactly what you asked but I feel it is relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

poisonated wrote: »
    Looking at the lineup of electric picnic and that, I might know 1 person. I know it’s not exactly what you asked but I feel it is relevant.

To be fair when I was going to Witness/ Oxegen 14 to 18 years ago I'd never heard of most of the acts either. It probably still applies. Despite the top billing most teenagers actually don't know brother and sister slam poets Dylan and Carter from Ballincollig or MC GingerPubez from Ballinspittle.

OldRio wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yes, seriously. The ****e dominates the singles charts, and through the passage of time, the ****e is forgotten and the cultural memory of the time is left with just the quality stuff like Pink Floyd.

• Advertisement

To be fair when I was going to Witness/ Oxegen 14 to 18 years ago I'd never heard of most of the acts either. It probably still applies. Despite the top billing most teenagers actually don't know brother and sister slam poets Dylan and Carter from Ballincollig or MC GingerPubez from Ballinspittle.

A few years back, I was throwing out a t-shirt from Witnness. Looking at the band's at the bottom of the lineup in smaller print, never went to see any of them (hadn't heard of them), but a fair few of them had gone on to be successful and famous.

It was never THIS shiet though.

Like, people may have thought Britney, or Boyzone, or Take That, or Wham were cheesey unlistenable muck 20- 35 years ago, because at the time they were locked in to how good the latest dance tunes/ Britpop/ Madchester/ 90s hip hop was (and they were brilliant, and will never be repeated), but as time goes on there's something a bit fun about them if they come on in a club when you're full of soup.

I think in 30 years most people will still think pretty much all 21st century pop music was just charmless rubbish. I don't think anything Ariana Grande or Cadri B has ever made will be regarded as an even cheesey classic. They won't be able to fill stadia in 30 years the same way that Madonna or 90's boybands still manage to do on the back of three decade old music.

Even guitar bands. 30 years from now who will still be touring that currently makes hits? Coldplay, at most.

I wonder how much of this is due to nostalgia? Is it cheesy because we associate it with our youth before we knew better? Will today's music consuming youth be as nostaligic? I think Madonna is a bad example. You'd need to compare to one of her contemporaries who last had a hit in the 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

SLAAYER!!!!!

This is the content I'm here for.

Also, the charts are not for anyone who will post in this thread/forum. Lets be real. I'm in my mid thirties, I listen almost exclusively to death metal and fleetwood mac.

I really don't see Dying Fetus/Nile/Behemoth showing up as a No 1 single.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I really don't see Dying Fetus/Nile/Behemoth showing up as a No 1 single.

Not with that attitude they won't. You need a load of devices, a load of Spotify accounts and a targeted playlist on repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The great thing is that every month loads of new music becomes available. To go with the vast amount already there from the last 100 years. I remember when the Beatles and the Stones came on the radio, the old folks would shout "Turn that noise off".

The great thing is that every month loads of new music becomes available. To go with the vast amount already there from the last 100 years. I remember when the Beatles and the Stones came on the radio, the old folks would shout "Turn that noise off".

I only found out late last year that this track was banned when it came out https://youtu.be/ucTg6rZJCu4

Mad to think an instrumental song would be such an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have youtube music, so it suggests new stuff to me all the time or just plays it when I leave it on, and I save these tunes to playlists. So I keep up to date with new music of a certain genre, mostly electronic stuff. When you have algorithms doing the work for you it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pink Floyd only had two top ten singles (one probably help by a fancy video). It's exactly the same as now, decent bands are doing their thing now and will be remembered when the ****e fades from memory.

i used floyd as an example of proper production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dr Hook were great!

i used floyd as an example of proper production

I was using them as an example of good music, and pointing out that doesn't usually mean chart popularity.

Dr Hook were great!

To be fair, the top acts from that year weren't as terrible as I'd hoped for. I was expecting bay city rollers, chicory tip, the wombles etc.

For the record, I only know those names from watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks back in the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement