Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

July 2021 Irish Times:

"British holidaymakers jet off to the sun, as NPHET says Irish people need to 'stay at home and don't murder family members'

'Dr Tony Holohan warns that we cannot afford to be complacent, this comes as 15 new cases of COVID were reported yesterday.

'Travel fines have now risen to 10,000 euro and snipers are being placed outside Terminal 1 and 2'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I cant afford 2000+quartine fine to see family and friends and sunny weather in France/Southafrica this year. This makes me sad. Hoping A Dupont gives a cracking display of his skills in Dublin demain and make me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

RobitTV wrote: »
    July 2021 Irish Times:

"British holidaymakers jet off to the sun, as NPHET says Irish people need to 'stay at home and don't murder family members'

'Dr Tony Holohan warns that we cannot afford to be complacent, this comes as 15 new cases of COVID were reported yesterday.

'Travel fines have now risen to 10,000 euro and snipers are being placed outside Terminal 1 and 2'

"Half the nation's Guardai now being employed to call dentists, proctologists, neurologists and other medical professionals in Spain's holiday destinations to obtain the names of Irish people booking fake appointments."
    "In other news, Holohan confirms the national "contact tracing" system remains "overwhelmed", 18 months into the pandemic"

Ohh the irony...

There is now huge pressure on the Spanish government and the local regional authorities across Spain to get the tourism season up and running by May or June. There are now legal challenges against the closure of bars and restaurants and the business owners have won some of the cases (Link)

Legal challenge has now been launched in Palma, Majorca over the lockdown measures. Business groups, unions, opposition parties, former tourism workers, travel companies are turning up the heat and the discontent is starting to grow significantly.

The slow rollout of the vaccine is adding fuel to the fire. There is now much anger about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Lads in arriving in from south america (via Paris) on Monday night at 9pm.

What's going on with this €2,000 bull****? Is it in effect? Will gardai even be at the airport past 9pm?

I simply won't be paying 2 grand to enter my country and get a taxi home. If it's actually something that's going to be charged against me, I may as well just continue traveling and use 2 grand to fund myself to living my life instead of going back to a ****hole where I can't even get a haircut or meet someone for a coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've only read the last few posts, I see some discussion on the Tenerife dental issue. RTE have really zoned in on this and on hair transplants in Turkey. O'Callaghan kept bringing it up on Prime Time and Tubridy on the LLS last night.

Drew Harris on the LLS said that dental work is not a valid reason for going to Tenerife and that people will be prosecuted and risk big fines, imprisonment and a criminal record etc.

Who is he to decide? Was his journey to the LLS studio essential?

We've already heard about some of the carry on at Garda checkpoints on our roads e.g. people on the way to getting their car serviced told it isn't essential, Also shopping lists being demanded. Absurd nonsense

While I do think that travel to Tenerife is likely to be cute hoorism in many cases, who am I to say. I do know plenty of people who get dental work done in Spain and other foreign countries because they can't afford it here. Is Drew Harris or the HSE going to take responsibility for their teeth if they are prevented from going.

As with many things in this silly country, our travel restrictions are disruptive yet half arsed and open to interpretation meaning that the personality and circumstances of individual Gardai influence the outcome "Depends on who you get".

It's because of this that when I check on my property that is located outside of my county, I lie at checkpoints and say I am going to work (I have an essential worker ID even though I have left the job) as I'm not getting into a debate with a Garda about what exactly constitutes essential maintenance or explaining the T&Cs of my property insurance.

Ryanair announcing new routes this summer from Eastern European countries to sun destinations in Greece and Spain. Ryanair seem optimistic about this summer in Europe.

Meanwhile they aren't optimistic about Ireland. Don't be surprised if the Cork Airport base never reopens, thanks to the government and NPHET's demonization of all travel. And the daily media attacks on airlines and tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh it's a bit **** to be booking dentist appointments imo. Could have someone living there unable to get an appointment cos people here have booked them as an excuse to travel and you're messing with the dentist's livelihood too as they usually don't ask for a deposit up front.

I agree with this. If you book the appointment as an excuse to travel at least ****ing turn up for it.

Otherwise it's not on and really bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ryanair announcing new routes this summer from Eastern European countries to sun destinations in Greece and Spain. Ryanair seem optimistic about this summer in Europe.Meanwhile they aren't optimistic about Ireland. Don't be surprised if the Cork Airport base never reopens, thanks to the government and NPHET's demonization of all travel. And the daily media attacks on airlines and tourism.

Makes sense, Ryanair are a business not a state subsidised service, if there's no business in a country due to Government restrictions then you take your capacity elsewhere...
    Enjoy your #staycation2021 folks! :eek:

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I've only read the last few posts, I see some discussion on the Tenerife dental issue. RTE have really zoned in on this and on hair transplants in Turkey. O'Callaghan kept bringing it up on Prime Time and Tubridy on the LLS last night.Drew Harris on the LLS said that dental work is not a valid reason for going to Tenerife and that people will be prosecuted and risk big fines, imprisonment and a criminal record etc.Who is he to decide? Was his journey to the LLS studio essential?We've already heard about some of the carry on at Garda checkpoints on our roads e.g. people on the way to getting their car serviced told it isn't essential, Also shopping lists being demanded. Absurd nonsenseWhile I do think that travel to Tenerife is likely to be cute hoorism in many cases, who am I to say. I do know plenty of people who get dental work done in Spain and other foreign countries because they can't afford it here. Is Drew Harris or the HSE going to take responsibility for their teeth if they are prevented from going.As with many things in this silly country, our travel restrictions are disruptive yet half arsed and open to interpretation meaning that the personality and circumstances of individual Gardai influence the outcome "Depends on who you get".It's because of this that when I check on my property that is located outside of my county, I lie at checkpoints and say I am going to work (I have an essential worker ID even though I have left the job) as I'm not getting into a debate with a Garda about what exactly constitutes essential maintenance or explaining the T&Cs of my property insurance.

Agree, why Government is creating this big administrative mess instead of just grounding all aircraft apart from cargo and repatriation flights is just a massive joke, have the guts to go "Full NZ" or stop with the pointless 5k limit and fining people for leaving the country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/covid-19-vaccination-passports-denmark/index.html

Thought this was an interesting report re future reopening, digital passports and other options. I don't think digital passports should be necessary for 2021 as not enough vaccinations will have taken place, but if they could include a negative PCR test then it would be a logical way to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Ryanair announcing new routes this summer from Eastern European countries to sun destinations in Greece and Spain. Ryanair seem optimistic about this summer in Europe.

Meanwhile they aren't optimistic about Ireland. Don't be surprised if the Cork Airport base never reopens, thanks to the government and NPHET's demonization of all travel. And the daily media attacks on airlines and tourism.

They should do, they should think about pulling out of Dublin too tbh for at least the year if not longer, how can they be expected to plan any business at all under a regime like this? And they won't be the only ones thinking such things.

It'll be the government to blame and the people that supported them through this bull**** aswell, when the chickens come home to roost after these policies and campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They should do, they should think about pulling out of Dublin too tbh for at least the year if not longer, how can they be expected to plan any business at all under a regime like this? And they won't be the only ones thinking such things.

It'll be the government to blame and the people that supported them through this bull**** aswell, when the chickens come home to roost after these policies and campaigns.

And of course everyone will blame O'Leary etc etc rather than the reason for his departure.
    Using this travel lark is some deflection from the real reasons. Why do our population not question this crap but rather just join the baseless blame game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In the U.K. some of the Tory party are calling for lifting of restrictions in March given how vaccines are going. Now doubt the U.K. will be back travelling soon. Also this chart highlighting expected herd immunity is sobering

Update: Balearic Islands High Court admits (receives) hospitality sector lawsuit (link)

The Balearic High Court this afternoon admitted the lawsuit against the restrictions of the hostelry sector, according to the Associació de Restauradors de Mallorca. This lawsuit has been filed by the association and PIMEM.

In a statement, both organisations indicated that they hope that “a precautionary suspension of the measures against restrictions on bars and restaurants will be introduced while the lawsuit is studied” will be ruled.

In addition, they hope that the case will be considered “urgent” due to the “serious situation of the hostelry sector in the Balearics, especially in Majorca.”

Legal challenges are now rising. And the majority have been successful in Spain up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

faceman wrote: »
    In the U.K. some of the Tory party are calling for lifting of restrictions in March given how vaccines are going. Now doubt the U.K. will be back travelling soon. Also this chart highlighting expected herd immunity is sobering

The Torys? ok.

The chart is very much a reality and a cause for concern for quite some time. EU has ****ed up royally.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Legal challenges are now rising. And the majority have been successful in Spain up to now.

It has happened in other EU countries also, I think if cases come down here and there is still no opening of hospitality then it will be interesting to see if the vintners association or the restaurant and hotel federations do something similar, It just goes to show that these measures dont really stand up in a court of law,

Just like the ridiculous travel restrictions we have at the moment, Id be fairly confident that if somebody was to mount a case challenging the €2000 fine then it would be found to be unlawful also

TheDriver wrote: »
    And of course everyone will blame O'Leary etc etc rather than the reason for his departure.
    Using this travel lark is some deflection from the real reasons. Why do our population not question this crap but rather just join the baseless blame game?

Ah no sure Leaky Leo and Mehole Martin will save the day and purchase Aer Lingus on behalf of the state, and give us flights to London for €500 one way, great! :pac:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah no sure Leaky Leo and Mehole Martin will save the day and purchase Aer Lingus on behalf of the state, and give us flights to London for €500 one way, great! :pac:

I couldn't help but think of Mehole-Leaky coalition.

As for Aer Lingus, let Ryanair take it over. The EU allows other takeovers in the name of suppressing competition, but for some reason puts Ryanair taking over Aer Lingus is in the same category as pedophilia.

• Advertisement

As for Aer Lingus, let Ryanair take it over. The EU allows other takeovers in the name of suppressing competition, but for some reason puts Ryanair taking over Aer Lingus is in the same category as pedophilia.

They wouldn't take AL if it was given away for free! :D

But it's a scary thought that we'd be left with one airline on the Island, partly state owned.. it's back to the 1980's again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It has happened in other EU countries also, I think if cases come down here and there is still no opening of hospitality then it will be interesting to see if the vintners association or the restaurant and hotel federations do something similar, It just goes to show that these measures dont really stand up in a court of law,

Just like the ridiculous travel restrictions we have at the moment, Id be fairly confident that if somebody was to mount a case challenging the €2000 fine then it would be found to be unlawful also

Do you not know how laws work? :D

They passed a law allowing fines of up to (currently) 500. Therefore it is lawful. They can pass another one to have it up to 2000 or 2million if they want. Once that passes, it becomes law. You can try to challenge it on constitutional grounds. but it is still the law unless and until that happens and you win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I left Ireland today indefinitely, it was so good to be able to eat out and drink a beer here in my hotel tonight, the main clientele around Dublin airport were foreigner expats leaving Ireland and members of our ethnic minority traveler community. Gardai are checking all departures, I was not fined as my own travel was exempted under the 1947 health act.

Do you not know how laws work? :D

They passed a law. Therefore it is lawful.

Doesn’t work like that. Not even a government can do whatever they like. That’s why the judiciary and the legislative body are separate in literally every democracy in the world

Doesn’t work like that. Not even a government can do whatever they like. That’s why the judiciary and the legislative body are separate in literally every democracy in the world

No. The clue is in the name - "unlawful" is what the poster claimed.

They might have been thinking "unconstitutional" but just didn't know the word (or what they were talking about)

No. The clue is in the name - "unlawful" is what the poster claimed.

They might have been thinking "unconstitutional" but just didn't know the word (or what they were talking about)

C’mon.....the intent of the post was clear, whatever the accuracy of the words used

C’mon.....the intent of the post was clear, whatever the accuracy of the words used

The post was talking crap.

If you think it is unconstitutional, feel free to provide a link to the relevant article. The constitution is only a few pages long.

You cannot claim with that a law is unlawful and not expect for others to laugh in your face :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

theguzman wrote: »
    I left Ireland today indefinitely, it was so good to be able to eat out and drink a beer here in my hotel tonight, the main clientele around Dublin airport were foreigner expats leaving Ireland and members of our ethnic minority traveler community. Gardai are checking all departures, I was not fined as my own travel was exempted under the 1947 health act.

Hopefully you’re in a country with a less doom and gloom PR campaign than Ireland

Out of curiosity how was the interaction with the gardai?

faceman wrote: »
    Hopefully you’re in a country with a less doom and gloom PR campaign than Ireland

Out of curiosity how was the interaction with the gardai?

You post on here about doom and gloom in Ireland.
    But then you also talked about having to wear a mask when going outdoors for a run in Spain. But you saw no harm in that apparently.

Another poster was giving an example of how great Spain was because a cop reached for their gun while shouting at a tourist to put on their mask.

Why are you so bitter against Ireland?

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    my own travel was exempted under the 1947 health act.

Which section?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement