Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bubblypop wrote: »
    Which section?

Perhaps Dev might have been ahead of his time after all and inserted a sneaky hidden snowflake issues and feelings clause

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Good luck theguzman - I hope you are feeling ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Do you not know how laws work? :D

They passed a law allowing fines of up to (currently) 500. Therefore it is lawful. They can pass another one to have it up to 2000 or 2million if they want. Once that passes, it becomes law. You can try to challenge it on constitutional grounds. but it is still the law unless and until that happens and you win

What do you think would have a better chance in court, constitutional rights or rushed legislation?

What do you think would have a better chance in court, constitutional rights or rushed legislation?

What are you talking about?

They brought in a law that prohibits non-essential travel from the country. The fines were set up to 500 Euro for breaking that law.

They are planning to modify that law to increase those fines to 2000

When they bring that law in, by definition it will be lawful. That is the meaning of the word. I can't get my head around people trying to argue that it would be unlawful to do something that is prescribed in law (unless there is a directly conflicting law)

Unspecified "constitutional rights" me arse

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Which section?

Another boardsie was covered by it a few pages back also. I explained my situation to the Guard who was courteous and really sympathized with my own dilemma, he told me to keep safe and well. Like all interaction with guards if you are dick to them then they will naturally give it back. They are just doing a job at the end of the day. It is the politicians who have mishandled and politicized this I have my beef with.
    (p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary, or

(q) provide emergency assistance, avoid injury or illness, or escape a risk of harm, whether to the applicable person or another person.
    The one thing I take out of today is the absolute untraceable farce that covid testing for a flight is, I could have faked the cert myself in MS Notepad, no QR code or Barcode to verify if what I was handing over was in fact real and genuine. A Health Passport is something I originally opposed but seeing how chancers and gangsters could avoid a test after myself paying €100 makes my blood boil.

The second thing is that travelers (ethnic minority) have absolute scant disregard for any covid restrictions or rules, they contiguously refuse to wear masks, it was a thing of beauty to watch the male purser very authoritative put manners on the few on my flight who removed their masks, and he would patrol the cabin every few minutes to monitor them. Ryanair could learn a thing or two. All in all today was my most pleasant flying experience in years, a 20% capacity widebody and zero queues for anything is a huge plus, leaving the awful weather at home helps too.

theguzman wrote: »
    Another boardsie was covered by it a few pages back also. I explained my situation to the Guard who was courteous and really sympathized with my own dilemma, he told me to keep safe and well. Like all interaction with guards if you are dick to them then they will naturally give it back. They are just doing a job at the end of the day. It is the politicians who have mishandled and politicized this I have my beef with.

The one thing I take out of today is the absolute untraceable farce that covid testing for a flight is, I could have faked the cert myself in MS Notepad, no QR code or Barcode to verify if what I was handing over was in fact real and genuine. A Health Passport is something I originally opposed but seeing how chancers and gangsters could avoid a test after myself paying €100 makes my blood boil.

The second thing is that travelers (ethnic minority) have absolute scant disregard for any covid restrictions or rules, they contiguously refuse to wear masks, it was a thing of beauty to watch the male purser very authoritative put manners on the few on my flight who removed their masks, and he would patrol the cabin every few minutes to monitor them. Ryanair could learn a thing or two. All in all today was my most pleasant flying experience in years, a 20% capacity widebody and zero queues for anything is a huge plus, leaving the awful weather at home helps too.

It's always funny to see someone pour scorn on both sides of their own position.

You're on here claiming about escaping tyranny and oppression and at the same time giving out about a few of the oul' lucht siuil not wearing masks and then you are delighting at them being forced to wear those masks :pac:

Sure anyone can tell an old story to a guard!
    What do you think the government should have done

I left Ireland today indefinitely, it was so good to be able to eat out and drink a beer here in my hotel tonight, the main clientele around Dublin airport were foreigner expats leaving Ireland and members of our ethnic minority traveler community. Gardai are checking all departures, I was not fined as my own travel was exempted under the 1947 health act.

Out of interest, were the Gardai airside, at the gates, or in the departures hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Perhaps Dev might have been ahead of his time after all and inserted a sneaky hidden snowflake issues and feelings clause

No doubt about it you can hardly ever be accused of leaving the much maligned snowflakes out of a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

A Health Passport is something I originally opposed but seeing how chancers and gangsters could avoid a test after myself paying €100 makes my blood boil.

You should still oppose it. Gangsters forge ordinary passports as it is. They will always find ways around things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I can't get my head around people trying to argue that it would be unlawful to do something that is prescribed in law (unless there is a directly conflicting law)

Unspecified "constitutional rights" me arse

Er the directly conflicting law would (potentially) be constitutional law. The fact that you can't get your head around it is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40226057.html

Not Waterford Whispers, although a headline so far fetched only a few months ago you'd have thought so.

The "new normal", congrats to those cheering on this bull****

Damages are provided for in the GDPR Directive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You post on here about doom and gloom in Ireland.
    But then you also talked about having to wear a mask when going outdoors for a run in Spain. But you saw no harm in that apparently.

Another poster was giving an example of how great Spain was because a cop reached for their gun while shouting at a tourist to put on their mask.

Why are you so bitter against Ireland?

Ah now Donald me aul pal, don’t be squeezing the tea bag. We all like to rant about even the small stuff at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Out of interest, were the Gardai airside, at the gates, or in the departures hall?

I flew from Terminal 1, they are just there prior to scanning your boarding pass on the automatic gates before you head through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RobitTV wrote: »
    July 2021 Irish Times:

"British holidaymakers jet off to the sun, as NPHET says Irish people need to 'stay at home and don't murder family members'

'Dr Tony Holohan warns that we cannot afford to be complacent, this comes as 15 new cases of COVID were reported yesterday.

'Travel fines have now risen to 10,000 euro and snipers are being placed outside Terminal 1 and 2'

Making up a daft imaginary scenario to reinforce an apparent confirmation bias doesn't really help anything does it?

Why is it you reckon that the government here is conspiring just so some can't go on holidays?

The British government has already indicated that people there most likely will not be heading off anywhere in July

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

gozunda wrote: »
    Making up an daft imaginary scenario to reinforce an apparent confirmation bias doesn't really help anything does it?

Why is it you reckon that the government here a is conspiring just so some can't go on holidays?

The British government has already indicated that people there most likely will not be heading off anywhere in July

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/

Ah come on my man, can you not take a small bit of light hearted banter during these tough times for people? step back from the cliff edge and breathe :D let's not go down the negative road all the time. Come on lighten up. People need some sort of hope for this summer, because hope is all we have right now.

We will have to wait and see what happens when the time finally arrives. I think the UK will be in a positive position by the summer. But who really knows until the time arrives.

It's all tongue and cheek, do you really think I believe that snipers will be placed outside the terminal buildings? the government aren't that crazed and I will fully admit that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Ah but wait the south african variant could be his and de HSEs saviour

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Would elements of European Law that allows for the free movement of people not now be part of our constitution? And even if its its not, doesn't European Law override national laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

I flew from Terminal 1, they are just there prior to scanning your boarding pass on the automatic gates before you head through security.
    At that point all checked baggage is already on the plane or on the way to the plane. If someone decides not to travel that must be an awful ball ache for the airline.

• Advertisement

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Would elements of European Law that allows for the free movement of people not now be part of our constitution? And even if its its not, doesn't European Law override national laws?

How would European law be part of our constitution?
    Which European law are you thinking about that overrides our domestic laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

DubLad69 wrote: »

Not in the Irish Constitution no but as an EU citizen you have the move and reside freely within the territory of the member states.

This is likely the reason they can't actually stop you from boarding the flight or make it illegal to fly (like the UK at the moment).

Er, all of them? In member states, European law has precedence over national laws.

Er, all of them? In member states, European law has precedence over national laws.

And what specifically?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

acequion's threadban lifted after discussion with poster

And what specifically?

You're asking the wrong poster, but as I pointed out, no matter what it is, EU law has precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

How would European law be part of our constitution?
    The EU treaties are superior in law to the member states's national constitutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have the Gardai tweeted how many €2,000 fines they have given out?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Gardaí cannot stop Irish holiday makers travelling for ‘dentist appointments’
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-cannot-stop-irish-holiday-makers-travelling-for-dentist-appointments-1.4484599

As has and should have always been the case - education on the importance of following the requirement for a pre-flight negative test followed by another 5 days after arrival would seem to be the most sensible approach. Anything else is almost unenforceable and just a complete waste of Garda resources. (But I suppose the mob won’t be satisfied with that!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Anything else is almost unenforceable and just a complete waste of Garda resources. (But I suppose the mob won’t be satisfied with that!)

The Mob must be appeased, nothing more important than the court of public opinion with Judges Joe Duffy, Pat Kenny and Miriam in session...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement