Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Unless the power hungry Tony H and the media force the governments hand again. That's the big danger. They want us shut down for years.

From breakingnews.ie this morning; People going on holidays are being warned they face prison and a criminal record if they continue to travel abroad.

Again, travelling abroad on holidays is not illegal?? Is this just for breach of non essential travel within Irlenad?

It’s a bit like saying gay marriage is legal but you will face big fines of caught kissing or holding hands.

I think it is somewhat tenable to hold the current line when numbers are high and when there is a 5km restriction. But if that goes (and it will), it will be difficult to hold the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

fran38 wrote: »
    I reckon a scale and polish won't be classed as essential as it wont break the bank to get one done here, so why go over there to get it done? That'll be the gards view id say. As opposed to dental work costing in the thousands here and finding it cheaper on the continent.

I presume once the email said "medical/dental appointment" you are fine though. You wouldn't specifically have your procedure outlined on the email.

And when/if the guard does ask what is the procedure a simple "it's personal" reply should suffice.

Like, is there literally anything else the guard questioning you can do at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Unless the power hungry Tony H and the media force the governments hand again. That's the big danger. They want us shut down for years.

From breakingnews.ie this morning; People going on holidays are being warned they face prison and a criminal record if they continue to travel abroad.

Again, travelling abroad on holidays is not illegal?? Is this just for breach of non essential travel within Irlenad?

Traveling 5km away from your home for anything other than essential purposes is illegal, so unless your travel abroad is also within 5km then it's illegal at the moment to travel abroad

At the moment it's not a criminal offence so criminal record and prison is unlikely but it only takes legislation to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The whole situation of having 24/7 Garda checkpoints and personnel at the entrance checking is a complete farce and the dental letter issue has just highlighted it...
    If people have to test negative to come and go then remove the Police checks....the airline staff can check the PCR cert at the gate just like they checked the PLF form and refused boarding just like they did last year.

On the way into the country there's plenty of DOJ Border gards who check inbound passengers..

It's just for show and a waste of Garda resources....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Traveling 5km away from your home for anything other than essential purposes is illegal, so unless your travel abroad is also within 5km then it's illegal at the moment to travel abroad

At the moment it's not a criminal offence so criminal record and prison is unlikely but it only takes legislation to change that

So the big questions is, when travel is allowed within a county under level 4, is it still a breach. When travel is allowed throughout Ireland, is it still a breach? Will they continue to fine people under level 4 or level 3 etc?

• Advertisement

So the big questions is, when travel is allowed within a county under level 4, is it still a breach. When travel is allowed throughout Ireland, is it still a breach? Will they continue to fine people under level 4 or level 3 etc?

Why do they have restrictions/fines in place for Irish people leaving the country, but no fines in place for Irish people entering the country who may live abroad?

Surely there is a higher number in the latter than in the former category.

Why do they have restrictions/fines in place for Irish people leaving the country, but no fines in place for Irish people entering the country who may live abroad?

Let people bring in money, don't let them take it out. Also, we don't want to upset other countries, especially the US. Let's just penalise our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Is there much hassle getting in and out of the North of Ireland? I presume there are Garda checkpoints within 5km of the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Let people bring in money, don't let them take it out. Also, we don't want to upset other countries, especially the US. Let's just penalise our own.

Exactly... Can you imagine "Garda Timmy O'Reilly" stopping a coach bus load of American troops... "Excuuse me Surs, are ye travelling more than 5 keelomeeters?"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-military-troops-travelling-into-shannon-breached-covid-19-rules-1.4485263

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Exactly... Can you imagine "Garda Timmy O'Reilly" stopping a coach bus load of American troops... "Excuuse me Surs, are ye travelling more than 5 keelomeeters?"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-military-troops-travelling-into-shannon-breached-covid-19-rules-1.4485263

I can see how this one went. Yanks seen in Limerick, Joe Duffy informed, investigation follows :pac:

• Advertisement

The authorities are desperate to maintain the fear.

The authorities are desperate to maintain the fear.

I would say Nphet and the media more than the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Poor Johnny and Mary flying into Dublin from Lanzarote in 2 weeks time will be ostracised for not having their negative PCR test or passeneger locator forms - an error they're calling it.

Potential huge fines for both or detention in a hotel.

Meanwhile, the lads in the US army are a gang of little feckers and told not to do it again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The whole situation of having 24/7 Garda checkpoints and personnel at the entrance checking is a complete farce and the dental letter issue has just highlighted it...
    If people have to test negative to come and go then remove the Police checks....the airline staff can check the PCR cert at the gate just like they checked the PLF form and refused boarding just like they did last year.

On the way into the country there's plenty of DOJ Border gards who check inbound passengers..

It's just for show and a waste of Garda resources....

I flew out 16 days ago and flew home last night. Not a checkpoint in sight on both journey's.

Because there are already restrictions in place in the country. You must fill out a locator form and restrict movements.
    Also, the law states that you must stay at home unless you have a reasonable excuse to be out.
    So there are fines for Irish people.

If it's illegal to leave your county or country then it will be illegal to go abroad because abroad is outside your county and country. Whether they fine people or not is up to the politicians

Pretty simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it's illegal to leave your county or country then it will be illegal to go abroad because abroad is outside your county and country. Whether they fine people or not is up to the politicians

Pretty simple really

Whether they fine people or not is first up to the Gardai.
    Who are not as totalitarian as some people think.
    I think that's where we see the first bit of common sense emerging regarding restrictions and their enforcement.

I would like to see a breakdown of how many people got €100/€500/€2000 fines for foreign non-essential travel.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0216/1197347-ireland-covid/

New legislation to bring in hotel quarantine, according to RTE it will likely be signed into law by the first week of March, no list of countries that it will apply to yet but presumably the 'red list' announced the other day will be included

josip wrote: »
    Whether they fine people or not is first up to the Gardai.
    Who are not as totalitarian as some people think.
    I think that's where we see the first bit of common sense emerging regarding restrictions and their enforcement.

I would like to see a breakdown of how many people got €100/€500/€2000 fines for foreign non-essential travel.

The gardaí follow the law and in this case hand out fines to law breakers but they are unable to do so unless there's legislation in place so ultimately it's up to the politicians in the dáil. Garda discretion may also apply

Considering the fines have only been handed out for the last few weeks and most fines have a 28 day window to pay and appeals are possibly I don't think we will get accurate breakdown figures anytime soon

Pretty simple really

At present it is not strictly illegal to leave the country. The government information on foreign travel is 'advice against' non essential travel. I'd love to know the specific wording of the law allowing them to fine people. Under level 4, if the airport is in your county, can they still fine people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Breaking: Government begins to send out mixed messages on 'staycations' - Donohoe: Too early to say whether staycations will be possible this summer

The Finance Minister says he 'can't answer' yet whether people will be able to go on staycation in Ireland this summer. Paschal Donohoe says the Government is hoping to give clarity on the issue in 'the coming weeks'. With a new 'living with COVID' plan due next week, focus has turned to which restrictions may be eased over the coming months.

While senior ministers have already said foreign holidays are unlikely for most people this year, they've expressed their hopes domestic travel may be allowed.

However, Minister Donohoe told Newstalk Breakfast it's still too early to say whether that can happen.

Newstalk

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RobitTV wrote: »
    Breaking: Government begins to send out mixed messages on 'staycations' - Donohoe: Too early to say whether staycations will be possible this summer

The Finance Minister says he 'can't answer' yet whether people will be able to go on staycation in Ireland this summer. Paschal Donohoe says the Government is hoping to give clarity on the issue in 'the coming weeks'. With a new 'living with COVID' plan due next week, focus has turned to which restrictions may be eased over the coming months.

While senior ministers have already said foreign holidays are unlikely for most people this year, they've expressed their hopes domestic travel may be allowed.

However, Minister Donohoe told Newstalk Breakfast it's still too early to say whether that can happen.

Newstalk

This is the epitome of why people are getting fed up with restrictions, false hope and most likely will lead to people becoming lax.

Constant mixed messaging and really just adding to an opinion of the 'leaders' of our country having no clear plan/strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

RobitTV wrote: »

Newstalk

Conclusion from the above is that holidaying in Ireland this summer will be too unpredictable and if you're planning to holiday in July or later, it's better to get the hell out of Dodge and holiday abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0216/1197347-ireland-covid/

New legislation to bring in hotel quarantine, according to RTE it will likely be signed into law by the first week of March, no list of countries that it will apply to yet but presumably the 'red list' announced the other day will be included[/quot

This allows me to travel this weekend. I'm off to see my girlfriend. God knows when we'll see each other again. And t'**** with the begrudgers.

Any news on whether the fines have been increased from 500e to 2000e? That's the only thing I'd be concerned about. I'd take the 500e hit (Can't believe I just said that) but I need to see my partner as we do t know when we'll see each other again.

Any news on whether the fines have been increased from 500e to 2000e? That's the only thing I'd be concerned about. I'd take the 500e hit (Can't believe I just said that) but I need to see my partner as we do t know when we'll see each other again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Business owner in Majorca said today he is preparing to re-open his nightclub and beach bar from May and with live music. He said that most bars will stay open until 3am with some social distancing. It will be much more relaxed than last summer. He said he is very optimistic that cases will plunge by the summer and it will allow for safe air travel to the island with a negative PCR test or vaccine from the UK.

So many places in Europe are looking ahead to the future with hope and they are preparing for a decent summer tourist season.

And we in Ireland are now going on about if 'staycations' will happen this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

josip wrote: »

Although not answer to your question, there was interesting stat on the IT this morning:
    As of last Friday, gardaí had issued almost 5,000 fines for non-essential travel, including 132 fines for non-essential travel to ports and airports.
    If I understand this correctly, 132 fines looks like a pretty low number given all the hoopla on the media since this started.

Just for context, the Irish Examiner point to 110k passengers going through Dublin airport in January 2021.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement