Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

qb123 wrote: »
    Irish holidaymakers continuing journeys despite warnings of prison

"What are you in for?"
    "Murder, you?"
    "Went on my holidays to Spain."

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

RobitTV wrote: »
    Business owner in Majorca said today he is preparing to re-open his nightclub and beach bar from May and with live music. He said that most bars will stay open until 3am with some social distancing. It will be much more relaxed than last summer. He said he is very optimistic that cases will plunge by the summer and it will allow for safe air travel to the island with a negative PCR test or vaccine from the UK.

So many places in Europe are looking ahead to the future with hope and they are preparing for a decent summer tourist season.

And we in Ireland are now going on about if 'staycations' will happen this year :pac:

Sad, but true. Nothing positive here, no light at the end of the tunnel but constant threats...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/these-eight-destinations-now-allow-vaccinated-travellers-to-bypass-quarantine-40080475.html

Very positive news. Personally, I thought this would take a few more months before it was up and running but it really is great to see such a quick, smart and nuanced approach to the current situation being adopted across multiple countries already.

The big wheels of tourism and it's economic value to so many people and countries are slowly starting to turn, once again.

We know that lockdowns are completely unsustainable from an economic perspective and the enablement of safe travel a must for many countries so I can only see this list of countries growing further in the coming months pre a busy summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

"What are you in for?"
    "Murder, you?"

I'm all for containing COVID-19 as best as possible.

But sending people to jail for leaving the country is going one step too far!

Reminds me of East Germany pre 1989.
    Jawohl, Genosse Micheal Martin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

d15ude wrote: »
    I'm all for containing COVID-19 as best as possible.

But sending people to jail for leaving the country is going one step too far!

Reminds me of East Germany pre 1989.
    Jawohl, Genosse Micheal Martin!

I don't think it would come to that but this time last year I was watching the lockdown unfold in China and didn't think it would come to that either (in Ireland)

Watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

fran38 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0216/1197347-ireland-covid/

New legislation to bring in hotel quarantine, according to RTE it will likely be signed into law by the first week of March, no list of countries that it will apply to yet but presumably the 'red list' announced the other day will be included[/quot
    This allows me to travel this weekend. I'm off to see my girlfriend. God knows when we'll see each other again. And t'**** with the begrudgers.

Unless they get the legislation passed before the weekend, unlikely work our current leaders... But in any case if you're not going to a red listed country you should be fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Unless they get the legislation passed before the weekend, unlikely work our current leaders... But in any case if you're not going to a red listed country you should be fine,

I am, UAE. What do you mean though by 'unless you're not going to a red listed country you should be fine"? As of last week, the UAE is a red listed country but what can they do if the quarantine hotels isn't set up by my 1st March? I'm back on the 28th February. I'll get fined ok, but on top of that?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

"What are you in for?"
    "Murder, you?"

And guess which one would be released first!

I am, UAE. What do you mean though by 'unless you're not going to a red listed country you should be fine"? As of last week, the UAE is a red listed country but what can they do if the quarantine hotels isn't set up by my 1st March? I'm back on the 28th February. I'll get fined ok, but on top of that?.....

Where's the evidence you'll get fined though?

Fines are just for those living in Ireland and who want to go on a non-essential journey. I don't believe fines apply to those abroad who wish to travel back into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm currently in South America, Brazil and the best way I can describe it is like Ireland last June or July, people are wearing masks in the vast majority and alcohol sanitiser is a big thing, not the slime of gel we have at home, I'm talking 75% proof vodka like liquid. Retail, cafes etc. all open, a pretty similar death rate to Ireland despite a large elderly population and a much lower amount of spending on health care, Ivermectin and a host of other drugs are deployed against Covid. T

he Sinovac coronavac has been given to six million people in country already, they are doing far better than Ireland using less resources. Ireland and the HSE is a dumping ground for Govt inefficiency and waste.

I'm going out now in the afternoon for my first haircut since last September using KN95 mask, my local hairdresser has lost over €100 as I was a once every 4-5 weeks for a trim and a chat, sometimes if I was lazy a shave also. In 2020 I visited her twice, had a few disastrous DIY haircuts etc.

It is just an example of how Ireland are using a sledgehammer to break a walnut for a virus which is not as bad as the media hype portrays it like Ebola Armageddon from the Walking Dead. If we had an effective HSE most of the catastrophe we witnessed would never have occurred. Elderly and at risk have been thrown under the Bus by the Govt, the vaccine handling has been a farce and shows how much of a an absolute disgrace it has turned into, the EU couldn't be trusted with a nun shoot in a nunnery never mind this.

Where's the evidence you'll get fined though?

Fines are just for those living in Ireland and who want to go on a non-essential journey. I don't believe fines apply to those abroad who wish to travel back into Ireland.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm travelling from the airport to Dubai on Saturday and I'll return next Sunday.
    So, the question is, apart from fining me, what can they do if those nice comfy hotels arent up and running by next Sunday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well, the mob got what they want. The government is reviewing the list of essential reasons for travel at present to make it tighter. So while it will target the small number of dick heads abusing it, it is still a very small fish in a bigger sea of problems.

Still no change to laws or enforcement of confirmed cases and close contacts leaving their house as they please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm currently in South America, Brazil and the best way I can describe it is like Ireland last June or July, people are wearing masks in the vast majority and alcohol sanitiser is a big thing, not the slime of gel we have at home, I'm talking 75% proof vodka like liquid. Retail, cafes etc. all open, a pretty similar death rate to Ireland despite a large elderly population and a much lower amount of spending on health care, Ivermectin and a host of other drugs are deployed against Covid. T

he Sinovac coronavac has been given to six million people in country already, they are doing far better than Ireland using less resources. Ireland and the HSE is a dumping ground for Govt inefficiency and waste.

I'm going out now in the afternoon for my first haircut since last September using KN95 mask, my local hairdresser has lost over €100 as I was a once every 4-5 weeks for a trim and a chat, sometimes if I was lazy a shave also. In 2020 I visited her twice, had a few disastrous DIY haircuts etc.

It is just an example of how Ireland are using a sledgehammer to break a walnut for a virus which is not as bad as the media hype portrays it like Ebola Armageddon from the Walking Dead. If we had an effective HSE most of the catastrophe we witnessed would never have occurred. Elderly and at risk have been thrown under the Bus by the Govt, the vaccine handling has been a farce and shows how much of a an absolute disgrace it has turned into, the EU couldn't be trusted with a nun shoot in a nunnery never mind this.

Please feel free to stay there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sorry to disappoint our finance minister, but I have sorted out my flights today for Majorca on the 1st of July. Sorted out the accommodation a while back. Done and dusted.

This government won't have a leg to stand on when the summer arrives. They will have to let people travel when Europe opens for tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

What's the number of cases and deaths recorded in Brazil? Also correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it in Brazil that they ran out of oxygen a few weeks ago?
    theguzman wrote: »

So as it stands, the Gardai can fine someone 500e just for breaking the 5k limit, raising to 2000e if someone decides to go ahead and get on the plane. They could face a criminal charge on their return. Is this in force already ? Or is it in waiting once the mandatory quarantine hotels are set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Unless the power hungry Tony H and the media force the governments hand again. That's the big danger. They want us shut down for years.

From breakingnews.ie this morning; People going on holidays are being warned they face prison and a criminal record if they continue to travel abroad.

Again, travelling abroad on holidays is not illegal?? Is this just for breach of non essential travel within Irlenad?

By all means take it to the Supreme Court but it is a penal provision. :confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-holidaymakers-continuing-journeys-despite-warnings-of-prison-1.4485675
    Gardaí have started warning Irish holidaymakers they face prison and a criminal record if they continue with their international trip.

However, some travellers are choosing to ignore this advice and continue with their holiday, sources say. Gardaí are waiting for several families to return from foreign holidays before issuing court summons.

Until very recently the Garda approach has been to issue fixed-charge notices, similar to speeding fines, to people travelling to airports or ports for non-essential journeys in breach of Covid-19 restrictions. These fines were originally €100 but were later increased to €500. There are plans to raise them again to €2,000.

In response, gardaí have started formally directing people in breach of the travel regulation to comply with the law.
    Section 31(a) (7) Health Act 1947 gives gardaí the power to direct a person to comply with a penal provision. Failure to comply is a further criminal offence which can be prosecuted in the district court.

Journalist writes tweet highlighting people getting fined for travelling

Complains that there is too much coverage in the media about people being fined for travelling

I don't know whether to use :confused: or :pac: !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Which would be turned over - the Charter of Fundamental Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights have primacy over national laws, not to mention the fundamental freedom of movement.

It is absolutely bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

faceman wrote: »

Happy to keep my money and wait until the plane beckons again.
    The weather here is too unpredictable and I expect prices to be at level 5 on the rip off meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Which would be turned over - the Charter of Fundamental Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights have primacy over national laws, not to mention the fundamental freedom of movement.

It is absolutely bonkers.

Again there's nothing stopping someone taking a case if you believe that the legislation is unlawful.

https://twitter.com/dw_politics/status/1361250624462082049?s=20

Journalist writes tweet highlighting people getting fined for travelling

Complains that there is too much coverage in the media about people being fined for travelling

I don't know whether to use :confused: or :pac: !

You want to lock up people for travelling to the airport.

And I am the one with a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Had a friend who also travelled to the airport 2 weeks ago, the guards stopped them and they just said ‘I’m travelling for an essential reason’ no proof needed or explanation required, guards just waved them on. The mind boggles.

We travelled by bus and are the guards missing something ? They didn’t stop the buses either ...

Pathological lying perchance?

Feel free to point out where I mentioned locking anyone up, or else stop lying and whinging

faceman wrote: »
    Well, the mob got what they want. The government is reviewing the list of essential reasons for travel at present to make it tighter. So while it will target the small number of dick heads abusing it, it is still a very small fish in a bigger sea of problems.

Still no change to laws or enforcement of confirmed cases and close contacts leaving their house as they please

It's ridiculous. Ireland is just cranking it up, while everywhere else is giving messages of hope and laying out ways in which we get back to normal, whether travelling or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Your Twitter quote is misleading.
    Germans are still free to LEAVING the country without being fined.
    Germany is temporarily closing her borders for people trying to ENTER from a handful of countries.

Not being allowed to leave is bonkers, we are effectively on a prison island.

Had a friend who also travelled to the airport 2 weeks ago, the guards stopped them and they just said ‘I’m travelling for an essential reason’ no proof needed or explanation required, guards just waved them on. The mind boggles.

We travelled by bus and are the guards missing something ? They didn’t stop the buses either ...

I'll have my printed justification ready just in case, and to make doubly sure that I breeze through I'll travel on my British passport rather than my Irish one

Travelling by bus rather than taxi is a good idea

• Advertisement

Pathological lying perchance?

Feel free to point out where I mentioned locking anyone up, or else stop lying and whinging

If I have misrepresented your views that you have absolute disdain for anyone who travels or wishes to travel, and you welcome resources of the state being used to enforce restrictions on people travelling then I sincerely apologise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement