Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

faceman wrote: »
    Well, the mob got what they want. The government is reviewing the list of essential reasons for travel at present to make it tighter. So while it will target the small number of dick heads abusing it, it is still a very small fish in a bigger sea of problems.

Still no change to laws or enforcement of confirmed cases and close contacts leaving their house as they please

Once the gap is tightened with the airports, I wonder who the people will blame then, as they're currently blaming travel for all the deaths and the spread.

I can't understand why they don't fine people going maskless in shops the way you can be fined for smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Had a friend who also travelled to the airport 2 weeks ago, the guards stopped them and they just said ‘I’m travelling for an essential reason’ no proof needed or explanation required, guards just waved them on. The mind boggles.

We travelled by bus and are the guards missing something ? They didn’t stop the buses either ...

Where you stopped and questioned by gards at the check in desk or security?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

d15ude wrote: »
    Your Twitter quote is misleading.
    Germans are still free to LEAVING the country without being fined.
    Germany is temporarily closing her borders for people trying to ENTER from a handful of countries.

Not being allowed to leave is bonkers, we are effectively on a prison island.

Yeah, fair point. The debate has previously centred on "freedom of movement" but this is different. Germany's policy is different to ours. They allow their own citizens to go but prevent non citizens from entering. Even though they are EU and usually have a legal right to enter.

That's worse than our current setup as anyone can arrive here and self isolate.

I know the law here is to prevent "non-essential" travel and doesn't discriminate agains non citizens. Comes down to what's classed as n"non-essential"

technically it doesn't prevent anyone leaving for essential reasons. The human rights angle is most certainly essential and therefore the Health Act 1947 isn't in contravention of those laws.

All very noble arguments but we are really talking about people going on a jolly in Spain or where ever.

Hard to feel sympathy for anyone caught on the way back tbh when kids aren't in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Once the gap is tightened with the airports, I wonder who the people will blame then, as they're currently blaming travel for all the deaths and the spread.

I can't understand why they don't fine people going maskless in shops the way you can be fined for smoking.

Headlines in today's Indo was referring to outbreaks in Uni's , claims students flouting the rules. The young are being lined up for the mob again to train their sights on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'll have my printed justification ready just in case, and to make doubly sure that I breeze through I'll travel on my British passport rather than my Irish one

Travelling by bus rather than taxi is a good idea

Best of luck sounds like a plan. If it's essential shouldn't be a bother.

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If I have misrepresented your views that you have absolute disdain for anyone who travels or wishes to travel, and you welcome resources of the state being used to enforce restrictions on people travelling then I sincerely apologise.

The oul' pathological lying rears its head again. Just can't help it maybe?

As I have made repeatedly clear on this thread, I encourage people to make plans to travel, just with the proviso that they only go if it is both safe and in line with restrictions at the time of their travel.

Finished making shite up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

As I have made repeatedly clear on this thread, I encourage people to make plans to travel, just with the proviso that they only go if it is both safe and in line with restrictions at the time of their travel.

Well evidently I must owe you a sincere apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If I have misrepresented your views that you have absolute disdain for anyone who travels or wishes to travel, and you welcome resources of the state being used to enforce restrictions on people travelling then I sincerely apologise.

Mod

Drop it the pair of you, or I'll send you on a holiday you won't need a visa for.

I think the COVID-19 pandemic raises interesting questions a la freedom of movement and the EU.

Hitherto, the EU was considered a collective body of individual member states. Freedom of movement existed between these states; something not noticed, just normalized. The EU managed freedom of movement and broader matters. There was no need for individual nationalism.

The COVID-19 pandemic has turned that previously acceptable paradigm on its head.

Nationalism has been renewed; alas, bordered re-erected. Each country now considers its own national interest at the expense of others. Vaccine nationalism has now become an unfortunate force.

And given how many EU countries feel let down by its ability to agree, procure, and distribute vaccine; it seems more and more of the European population will now look against the EU as something that doesn't represent them and, more importantly, a body that fails to deliver on its key aims.

A factor worth considering.

COVID-19 may have triggered the end of the EU as we know and recognize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

2 more weeks going back home where i have live 4 12 years cant wait/ sleep think travel outside restriction is so misguided and unnatural doesnt add to rte pushing zero covid case numbers we are all tested before travel but it pits a divide i now hate this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think the COVID-19 pandemic raises interesting questions a la freedom of movement and the EU.

Hitherto, the EU was considered a collective body of individual member states. Freedom of movement existed between these states; something not noticed, just normalized. The EU managed freedom of movement and broader matters. There was no need for individual nationalism.

The COVID-19 pandemic has turned that previously acceptable paradigm on its head.

Nationalism has been renewed; alas, bordered re-erected. Each country now considers its own national interest at the expense of others. Vaccine nationalism has now become an unfortunate force.

And given how many EU countries feel let down by its ability to agree, procure, and distribute vaccine; it seems more and more of the European population will now look against the EU as something that doesn't represent them and, more importantly, a body that fails to deliver on its key aims.

A factor worth considering.

COVID-19 may have triggered the end of the EU as we know and recognize it.

Very well put, eloquent and succinct, but complete hogwash from paragraph 3 on. EU countries have always been nationalistic to some degree or other. But it was probably at its height between 2008 and 2010, not now. Each country is free to make its own decisions to best fight Covid; it would be bordering on the insane to try to do the same thing across the whole EU. The last part I suspect is just your wishful thinking, rather than anything that exists in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Travelling abroad is not an entitlement during a pandemic and public health crisis

Travelling abroad is not an entitlement during a pandemic and public health crisis

Yes it is - if someone lets you in. There is nothing in the fundamental freedoms that say otherwise. Locking up citizens is akin to North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Would travelling to another European country to take up full time employment be considered essential when you're currently unemployed?

Would travelling to another European country to take up full time employment be considered essential when you're currently unemployed?

Absolutely. Perhaps signing off from the PUP or other payment may be needed in terms of sincerity and proving essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Yes it is - if someone lets you in. There is nothing in the fundamental freedoms that say otherwise. Locking up citizens is akin to North Korea.

I am very to the book about the rules - but I am finding the way Ireland has reacted is VERY extreme when you compare it to other countries. (yes New Zealand blah blah I mean look at New Zealand lockdown not a hardship - you have a whole coven of lord of the ring elves down the road) In the US people can still travel once they are tested and most towns/cities you can still have your day to day life albeit with some restrictions. The UK is already talking about opening up. Meanwhile the Irish media is saying even staycations in another 6 months not guaranteed. WTF are they trying to do to our mental health. Yes it is not a concerted effort to do that - that is not the intention - but think about how you are presenting this to the public. the government could release statements to give us hope but instead rely on the media to do their dirty work. Give us some hope - something to look forward to - instead of everything being so bleak all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's getting scarily close to pushing people to rebellion.
    Gemma and John rallying the troops could get a lot more behind them on this occasion.
    It feels like over reaching by Gardai and Govt.
    Look at the French rebellion or animal farm, there's a time the people react back.
    Getting sick of the "it's a pandemic" is a good enough reason to not question anything

TheDriver wrote: »
    Gemma and John rallying the troops could get a lot more behind them on this occasion.
    Look at the French rebellion or animal farm, there's a time the people react back.

Despite great progress on getting numbers down with buyin by the population to extraordinary restrictions, the last few weeks have been increasingly negative. I will never follow Gemma and John but I can see how the negativity will lead to push back. It will also backfire - hearts and minds is far more effective than coercion.

people react when they feel like their backs are against the wall - when they are trapped. There is a way to present things so that people dont feel that way - its called strong leadership. instead we have push and pull and up and down and everything sideways and a government that lets the media do the talking for it.

CAVEAT: i would be against anything that germ stands for by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Getting sick of the "it's a pandemic" is a good enough reason to not question anything

How do you figure? From what I see every day people are more or less happy with locking down until it's safe to reopen

• Advertisement

How do you figure? From what I see every day people are more or less happy with locking down until it's safe to reopen

happy with lockdown...... people are ABIDING by it - that doesnt equate to happiness

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    people react when they feel like their backs are against the wall - when they are trapped. There is a way to present things so that people dont feel that way - its called strong leadership. instead we have push and pull and up and down and everything sideways and a government that lets the media do the talking for it.

CAVEAT: i would be against anything that germ stands for by the way.

Agree.

Last summer it was fire and brimstone for a few days about that game of golf. The week after there was fire and brimstone about restrictions at weddings.

yes work is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect I'm part of the 'less' rather than the 'more' according to people who consider 'safe' to be 100 cases or less for 28 consecutive days.

At present people are compliant but I don't think people are happy to be honest. Even people I know who have had covid deaths in the family are sick of it.
    There's no end in sight. Last year we were strung along with short term hope.
    This year it's long term misery. That is what starts people fighting back.
    And like ye, I dispose Doherty, it is a paraphrase of how she could gain more traction this year.
    But then again Sir God Tony can't be wrong. How could you be when everyone stays at home, for ever and hence low numbers.

At present people are compliant but I don't think people are happy to be honest. Even people I know who have had covid deaths in the family are sick of it.
    And like ye, I dispose Doherty, it is a paraphrase of how she could gain more traction this year.
    But then again Sir God Tony can't be wrong. How could you be when everyone stays at home, for ever and hence low numbers.

i havent clicked on the news in a few weeks now - took a break - it was great - back on it again today and first headline I see - was something like dont expect to have staycations in 6 months.... i mean come on ... how do they expect people to react when you are printing crap like that. the media have a moral responsibility to the public instead of inciting them all the time.

josip wrote: »
    I suspect I'm part of the 'less' rather than the 'more' according to people who consider 'safe' to be 100 cases or less for 28 consecutive days.

We will get there, don't worry

In fairness part of the reason for the explosion of covid in January was because the advice of his team wasn't taken... I'm sure he can be wrong, he is human after all but it seems our situation gets worse every time he's ignored

By end of May last year, Spain started talking about possibility of opening for holidays. That's 12-13 weeks away from this year's equivalent. This time last year we were busy with bekind and retired folk stuck on cruise ships in Japan. Even the sky trips weren't big news until another 6-7 days

We will get there, don't worry

In fairness part of the reason for the explosion of covid in January was because the advice of his team wasn't taken... I'm sure he can be wrong, he is human after all but it seems our situation gets worse every time he's ignored

The prob is his advice always seems extreme and akin to over paranoid Irish mother. Always concerned. I feel like an Irish son who can never do good enough.

• Advertisement

The prob is his advice always seems extreme and akin to over paranoid Irish mother. Always concerned. I feel like an Irish son who can never do good enough.

A highly transmisable virus that causes a deadly disease that our health service is nowhere near capable of dealing with - if he wasn't worried and recommending extreme advice I'd be extremely worried

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement