Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    no im saying 1. its his advice 2. the govt take that advice and apply it in a nuanced way. 3. That govt advice is then communicated to the public in a way that is not bleak, dark, gloomy and a throwback to the days of the old catholic ireland in that we are all sinners and we have sinned and we need to obey. there is a way to present it.

That’s exactly it, it’s the presentation of the information, dark gloomy hopeless. I honestly felt more hopeful when Leo was doing the communicating. But now yes sinners who must be shamed and blamed, punished like school children. It’s shambolic. Thank goodness we’re part of EU, life would be unbearable here I’d say if we were out on our own with all sorts of fanatics and nut jobs dictating to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

gansi wrote: »
    That’s exactly it, it’s the presentation of the information, dark gloomy hopeless. I honestly felt more hopeful when Leo was doing the communicating. But now yes sinners who must be shamed and blamed, punished like school children. It’s shambolic. Thank goodness we’re part of EU, life would be unbearable here I’d say if we were out on our own with all sorts of fanatics and nut jobs dictating to us.

News from Monday - over 85s to get vaccinations in the community

News from today - we are on track to have between 200-400 cases by the end of the month

All good news although it was relatively hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Spain will accept PCR tests again this summer. Most of Europe (except from the UK) will not have been vaccinated by the summer. They will require a negative PCR test like last summer if you are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TheDriver wrote: »
    It will when Spain replies mostly on German and British tourists for their cash.

I don't see how vaccine passports will work, they'll be easily forged etc. And what about kids?

Previous comment related to travel from Ireland and countries deciding to add criteria for proof of vaccination. That may just scupper a lot of those heading off on their holidays this summer.

Spain, UK and US have currently banned flights from the UK for anyone wanting to try that dodge at present.

Not sure how vaccine passports would work. But afaik such moves are about reducing the risk of infection from non essential travel.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/list-of-eu-countries-issuing-asking-for-vaccination-certificates/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would think that if the Spanish vaccinate their own people then vaccine passports wouldn't matter too much, same for the UK and Ireland, I think if the UK meet their vaccination targets you could consider a holiday in Cornwall? You can get some very nice weather there in August

Cornwall is very crowded and expensive in July and August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It will when Spain replies mostly on German and British tourists for their cash.

I don't see how vaccine passports will work, they'll be easily forged etc. And what about kids?

What is your opinion on schools opening up?

If you think travel should be allowed (now or soon), do you think the same about schools?

We did have one other poster here who was more or less saying that there should be no restrictions on travel because corona was overhyped, and then on other threads was adamant previous that schools should be closed (soon after they were opening in Sept), then more recently that schools should definitely remain closed, due to the dangers of corona.

I would categorize opening schools as being a higher priority target than allowing unfettered travel.

News from Monday - over 85s to get vaccinations in the community

News from today - we are on track to have between 200-400 cases by the end of the month

All good news although it was relatively hard to come by

Ah you can cherry pick we can all do that. And yes granted that is fantastic news and I can’t wait to see those numbers further down so we can get going again. But you have to admit some of the communication has been well below par and has instilled a sense of guilt in people. The media have played their part hugely as well. Maybe there is an instilled culture of shaming people in Ireland or guilting them a throw back to Catholic days and as for media it’s just about sales for them I suppose regardless of content. Anyway let’s stay positive that things will improve I’m looking forward to this new road map in the sense we’ll have dates for reopening and where we can travel to in Ireland and what will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can't see Vaccine passports occurring this year, certainly not in the EU, despite what some individual countries may say....there has to be a co-ordinated response with standards in place across the 27 with regards to what's legally acceptable, data protection etc.
    And when you consider that the majority of EU citizens won't be vaccinated until late 2021 it will create a big divide between the Vaccinated and unvaccinated..

I'd guess that some places may lift their requirements that passengers have a negative PCR if you can show some sort of POV....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ah you can cherry pick we can all do that. And yes granted that is fantastic news and I can’t wait to see those numbers further down so we can get going again. But you have to admit some of the communication has been well below par and has instilled a sense of guilt in people. The media have played their part hugely as well. Maybe there is an instilled culture of shaming people in Ireland or guilting them a throw back to Catholic days and as for media it’s just about sales for them I suppose regardless of content. Anyway let’s stay positive that things will improve I’m looking forward to this new road map in the sense we’ll have dates for reopening and where we can travel to in Ireland and what will be open.

Isn't this entire thread about cherry picked data to be fair?

On communication, Varadkar and FG have spent more on PR firms and Special media advisors than any Party/Government in History, they even wrote his first few speeches where he referenced movies back last year!
    If you Google it you will see that many of the Government advisors are ex. RTE or Newstalk, Independent.ie Journo's... add to the fact that the Government is one of the biggest customers of these main media outlets and you'll see how what we hear, see and read in the media every day is carefully controlled by the Government...

• Advertisement

When the cases begin to really drop by the summer and the presence of the virus in the community throughout Europe is utterly tiny, then the EU travel corridors will be reactivated like they were throughout last summer. You could even travel without a PCR test last summer.

Stay positive everyone. You'll be able to travel in the EU again with a negative result once everywhere is 'green' on the EU colour coded travel list.

RobitTV wrote: »
    When the cases begin to really drop by the summer and the presence of the virus in the community throughout Europe is utterly tiny, then the EU travel corridors will be reactivated like they were throughout last summer. You could even travel without a PCR test last summer. Stay positive everyone. You'll be able to travel in the EU again with a negative result once everywhere is 'green' on the EU colour coded travel list.

Hope not, the EU traffic light travel system was a shambles last year, and will be the same this year if they bring it back...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/airlines-brand-eu-traffic-light-travel-system-a-failure-1.4379807

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hope not, the EU traffic light travel system was a shambles last year, and will be the same this year if they bring it back...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/airlines-brand-eu-traffic-light-travel-system-a-failure-1.4379807

Yeah that is true. I just hope they can come up with a much better solution this year.

Can't see Vaccine passports occurring this year, certainly not in the EU, despite what some individual countries may say....there has to be a co-ordinated response with standards in place across the 27 with regards to what's legally acceptable, data protection etc.
    And when you consider that the majority of EU citizens won't be vaccinated until late 2021 it will create a big divide between the Vaccinated and unvaccinated..

I'd guess that some places may lift their requirements that passengers have a negative PCR if you can show some sort of POV....

Not really. This year to date most EU countries have restrictions on non essential travel and thats applied pretty much equally to everyone

Looks like plenty of countries have vaccine certificates / passports already in the pipeline. And its only February.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/list-of-eu-countries-issuing-asking-for-vaccination-certificates/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

EU have agreed on guidelines for vaccination certificates. This would seem the most likely way forward for this summer anyway.

https://news.gtp.gr/2021/01/28/eu-states-agree-covid-19-vaccination-certificate-guidelines/

It was a shambles in Ireland because it wasn't implemented. It worked fine throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

On communication, Varadkar and FG have spent more on PR firms and Special media advisors than any Party/Government in History, they even wrote his first few speeches where he referenced movies back last year!
    If you Google it you will see that many of the Government advisors are ex. RTE or Newstalk, Independent.ie Journo's... add to the fact that the Government is one of the biggest customers of these main media outlets and you'll see how what we hear, see and read in the media every day is carefully controlled by the Government...

Shock horror. Politician takes advice on communication from professionals who worked in that field.

Join us next week when we exclusively reveal that NPHET hired a postdoctoral researcher in epidemiology to create scenario projections for covid19 rather than hiring a prolific poster on boards.ie with a BA in modern dance.

Feckin' closed shops.

What s that about? I certainly don't feel any 'guilt' and afaik no one I know does either. The media is the media - and there's pretty much the same type of coverage and news in many other countries. Good idea to pay little or no attention to most of it tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I think the Irish government will be very slow to get rid of the fines for non essential travel, no matter what the vaccination / infection numbers are either here or in your EU destination, yes they opted in to the traffic light system, if they can opt out, they will unless there is a considerable amount of pressure applied to get them to reverse the fines

Personally I’m happy enough to allow leisure travel with pre flight testing & no restrictions on movement to orange and green areas for 2021

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

gozunda wrote: »
    Ye might have fun and games trying that tbf.

Spain and a host of other countries look like introducing a vaccine requirement for those arriving for holidays

And if you're planning on flying out of Belfast - a lot of countries have restrictions on travel from the UK due to the risk of new covid strains . Will that change? Who knows.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/spain-plans-to-establish-vaccination-certificate-to-recover-tourism-sector/

The UK is critical to tourism to Spain ,so if they did introduce a vaccine passport thingy then they may forget about having any sort of real tourists numbers now or indeed in the future,i highly doubt they will introduce that, they will probably keep with the negative test upon arrival.

• Advertisement

If holohan holds that line, it'll be a very bumper year for Derry and Belfast airports.
    NI will be totally aligning themselves with UK, not us.
    I also wonder how they'll police all our airports? Can't see local Kerry cops dishing out fines at Farranfore to people they probably know.

oh he will id be flabbergasted if he didnt, he's very much anti travel thats crystal clear,and has been since the start, he is unlikely to change his mind now, he'll drag this out for as long as possible,same as normal pubs as well,another pet hate of his.

I can see all airlines laying on extra flgihts from up north ,more people will travel this summer than what they think will because a lot more people will vaccinated, most people i know anyway dont want to stay at home in a vastly overpriced hotel and the chances are it'll piss rain all week, each to their own but for me that's just misery.

oh he will id be flabbergasted if he didnt, he's very much anti travel thats crystal clear,and has been since the start, he is unlikely to change his mind now, he'll drag this out for as long as possible,same as normal pubs as well,another pet hate of his.

I can see all airlines laying on extra flgihts from up north ,more people will travel this summer than what they think will because a lot more people will vaccinated, most people i know anyway dont want to stay at home in a vastly overpriced hotel and the chances are it'll piss rain all week, each to their own but for me that's just misery.

I was thinking about this the other day. City of Derry has tonnes of capacity and already does summer flights to Spanish islands. I can see Michael O Leary rerouting a load of Ryanair flights there and even providing a 'domestic' connection from Dublin - just to piss off the powers that be.

Tazz T wrote: »
    I was thinking about this the other day. City of Derry has tonnes of capacity and already does summer flights to Spanish islands. I can see Michael O Leary rerouting a load of Ryanair flights there and even providing a 'domestic' connection from Dublin - just to piss off the powers that be.

Yep i'd look into that as a possibility,its a tiny airport flew to Derry about 10 years ago when there was flights from Dublin took only about 22 minutes think they stopped them though,it would be a bit of a pain having to travel 4 hours on a coach to Derry, i would try and choose Belfast first, but ill keep my options open.

O'Leary is going to have some sort of promotional trick up his sleeve this summer. There is no way he is going to let the government dictate the rules for another summer and take away his business.

He will either put all of his flights from Dublin and open up routes from Derry and Belfast and leave Dublin Airport like Chernobyl for the rest of the year or he will begin legal proceedings against the government.

The easiest option for him is to pull out of Dublin and the Republic of Ireland for the summer and lets see how the government get on when people aren't able to see loved ones or even travel to the UK from Dublin. Maybe Ryanair will offer free coaches from Dublin to Belfast :pac:

O'Leary does not put up with continuous nonsense. Whatever you think of the guy he isn't a fool.

O'Leary is going to have some sort of promotional trick up his sleeve this summer. There is no way he is going to let the government dictate the rules for another summer and take away his business.

He will either put all of his flights from Dublin and open up routes from Derry and Belfast and leave Dublin Airport like Chernobyl for the rest of the year or he will begin legal proceedings against the government.

The easiest option for him is to pull out of Dublin and the Republic of Ireland for the summer and lets see how the government get on when people aren't able to see loved ones or even travel to the UK from Dublin.

O'Leary does not put up with continuous nonsense. Whatever you think of the guy he isn't a fool.

well said, cant say i have much time for him the way he has conducted himself over the years, but as you said he is no fool, he's one of the most shrewd businessmen there is, and he isnt going to sit back and watch as Ryanair lose millions again this summer,id love him to bring the government to court, he could well afford a high profile case, but he'll likely add on extra flights from up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wouldn't be worried when the government says 'It's unlikely travel will happen this summer' - that only means families who will be unable to afford the PCR tests. Couples or single people will most likely be able to travel without the huge expense. It would be way too expensive this year for a family of four. Some families might pay though.

The reality is by the summer the EU will be reopening for tourism and business. It does not matter what NPHET or the Irish government think about that. They aren't of any concern in Europe.

Holohan can spend the whole summer repeating himself like a robot. It won't make a difference.

That just leasscme to the question....why does a PCR test cost €99? What's the justification?

I got a PCR test in Colombia in Saturday which cost about €45. Got my results back about 9 hours later.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    That just leasscme to the question....why does a PCR test cost €99? What's the justification?

I got a PCR test in Colombia in Saturday which cost about €45. Got my results back about 9 hours later.

do you live in Colombia or just there on holiday? would love to go some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The easiest option for him is to pull out of Dublin and the Republic of Ireland for the summer and lets see how the government get on when people aren't able to see loved ones or even travel to the UK from Dublin. Maybe Ryanair will offer free coaches from Dublin to Belfast :pac:

Derry airport has cancelled all Ryanair flights for the forseeable future because they can't get permission from the UK civil aviation authority. Derry airport has almost gone under more than once in the last few years due to failures in funding and we still haven't seen the full extent of the Brexit impact on airlines. Even without Covid, we could expect to see a few routes from Derry and Belfast being dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

MarkY91 wrote: »

Higher wages and a shortage of lab staff drive up costs - supply and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

do you live in Colombia or just there on holiday? would love to go some day.

Just a holiday. Escaped the misery of Ireland and the brainwashed rte news followers for 16 days. Absolute bliss.

Masks on everywhere except the beach(about 95% compliance) temperature check and hand sanitizer before you can even get into a shop for a bottle of water.

Fast forward to yesterday, walking around Dublin, I felt like a fool wearing a mask as probably only 20% of others did the same.. no sanitizing enforcement or temperature checks anywhere I went.

We're an absolute disgrace.

Edit: oh and I was contacted within 2 days of arriving into Colombia from someone making sure I am where I said I'd be. This will be my 3rd time arriving back to Ireland since the pandemic and I know for a fact that I will not be contacted by anyone as per my previous two times entering Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement