Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You’re really hanging your hat on that prediction.
    All of the July plans are contingent on the public health situation at that time. There is no reason to suppose that will worsen plus we'll be at about 80% vaccinated by then and possibly 50% fully vaccinated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Marked increase in tourists in my region in Spain this past week. Not getting the impression there was much hassle in Dublin airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was looking forward to getting away this summer but in most of Europe you have to wear a mask at all times in public and that’s putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Hub D15 wrote: »
    Not a great deal for working families. They have substantial costs and restrictions added to travel despite not being at risk from the virus.

Meanwhile the elderly who are at risk from the virus are vaccinated and are allowed travel without restrictions.

A very strange situation where those at most risk have the most freedom and those at least risk have the most restrictions and costs.

One suspects the justification for that is that those in government want the votes of the elderly and the taxes of the working families.

It’s a ridiculous situation - stay at home to protect the vulnerable.... when they get back from their sun holidays. And don’t even think of having house parties or drinking outside while they’re gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

Wallander wrote: »
    Looks like N Ireland is also accepting pre-departure antigen tests, which are cheaper. Belfast definitely looking the better option for family travel this summer in my opinion.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-travelling-amber-country

Test providers and type of test

You will need to find a test provider.
    You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.
    The test must:
    • meet performance standards of greater than or equal to 97 per cent specificity, greater than or equal to 80 per cent sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml
    • this could include tests such as:
      • a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
      • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device

It’s destination dependent. Dublin airport is accepting antigen where applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gael23 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to getting away this summer but in most of Europe you have to wear a mask at all times in public and that’s putting me off

Just make sure you're always sat at the bar, or a pool having a drink, you'll be grand... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm happy to be wrong but I took the guys statement as being pretty obvious when he said that non essential travel will return that date.

So no mention of the 2k then? So you're only guessing and the truth is we know it's in place until 2nd June and it's anyone's guess after that.

gozunda wrote: »
    So allow everyone to leave and slap all those who can't provide proof of a completed essential appointment etc with a fine on their return?

Yeah I can see that going down real well.

Tbh people should be adhering to the guidelines. Its not like we don't already have a date when international travel is returning tbh

Btw none of that includes those people who have real and genuine need to travel.

It makes no sense now though. How would a person leaving Ireland for whatever reason they want to leave be a threat to the health of our nation? None is the answer as they wouldn't even be here.

Klonker wrote: »
    So no mention of the 2k then? So you're only guessing and the truth is we know it's in place until 2nd June and it's anyone's guess after that.

Obviously and that's my guess. We will see soon enough but what is it about this statement that you think I'm misunderstanding?

"Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan said: “By the 19th of July, we will remove the ban on non-essential travel."

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Did they not update that to be “essential medical/dental” ruling out checkups etc? Not saving physio wouldn’t be okay though.

Not that i know of. Essential is listed next on the list of reasons.

The other thing is your letter may be in another language, how would the guards even know what it says. Never mind the fact even if it was in English, how would the guard be able to know what was an official letter from another country or not unless it was very badly put together.

Obviously and that's my guess. We will see soon enough

Might want it edit your earlier post as you stated they stated its there until 19th July and that's factually incorrect. Don't know why you'd want to mislead the viewers of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It makes no sense now though. How would a person leaving Ireland for whatever reason they want to leave be a treat to the health of our nation? None is the answer as they wouldn't even be here.

Well it does.

The answer is in the comment to which you replied btw.

They will come back from holiday - but we don't need anyone bringing back unwanted presents tbf. Ah they are going to destination with low rates of infection I hear you say. But again we know that travel where it is difficult to social distance and involve crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection. See the scenes from Palma Airport the other day for example. Being tested doesn't protect a person from catching covid after the fact plus most of Europe still only have 30-40% of their population with 1 dose.

So yeah let's stick with that until we get up target vaccination levels.

Well it does.

They will come back from holiday
    - but we don't need anyone bringing back unwanted presents tbf. Ah they are going to destination with low rates of infection I hear you say. But again we know that travel where it is difficult to social distance and involve crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection. See the scenes from Palma Airport the other day for example. Being tested doesn't protect a person from catching covid after the fact plus most of Europe still only have 30-40% of their population with 1 dose.

OK so you agree that the risk to public health is when they return to Ireland. That's good that we agree how ridiculous it is fine someone while leaving the country under the guise of protecting the health of our citizens.

Well it does.

They will come back from holiday - but we don't need anyone bringing back unwanted presents tbf. Ah they are going to destination with low rates of infection I hear you say. But again we know that travel where it is difficult to social distance and involve crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection. See the scenes from Palma Airport the other day for example. Being tested doesn't protect a person from catching covid after the fact plus most of Europe still only have 30-40% of their population with 1 dose.

I am going on holiday for 4 months. I own a place in Spain, I normally go back and forth 6 weeks here 6 weeks there. Haven’t been there in a year, will now go for 4 months to get some much needed vitamin D.

I am not a criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

...it is difficult to social distance and involve crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection....

So a bit like the reopening of schools here then, yet NPHET were quite happy with this arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Anyone explain why they would expect 10 hour delays at Dublin airport when overseas travel resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Well it does.

What's the worry about picking up 'unwanted presents' at a time when most EU countries have lower infection rates than Ireland?

Shouldn't the responsibility be on the individual to behave appropriately? By the looks of some goings on in Dublin this weekend, it's easy enough to find crowds and avoid social distancing here if you are inclined to. I can assure you my holidays are pretty tame in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

ZX7R wrote: »
    Anyone explain why they would expect 10 hour delays at Dublin airport when overseas travel resumes.

If you seen it yesterday,you would understand why it is close to the mark time wise.
    We were one flight of around 140-150 people. I was in row 8 on the plane and we were deboarded by seat row. It took nearly 30mins to get through passport control. God help the ones from the back of the plane.
    The main problem seemed to be very slow input of data to the computer imo,these boys were AGS. I've been through twice in the last month through normal immigration and they fly through the questions and data input.

OK so you agree that the risk to public health is when they return to Ireland. That's good that we agree how ridiculous it is fine someone while leaving the country under the guise of protecting the health of our citizens.

I'd say its more correct to say its simply the other face of the same coin tbf

Its a case of helping protecting public health by reducing the likleyhood of people becoming infected in higher risk travel activities

And that with the knowledge that testing doesn't stop people getting infected

So with your argument would you suggest we don't leave them return then because of the higher risk potential or?

Don't think that would go down too well tbf

I am going on holiday for 4 months. I own a place in Spain, I normally go back and forth 6 weeks here 6 weeks there. Haven’t been there in a year, will now go for 4 months to get some much needed vitamin D.

I am not a criminal.

Well lol. No One said you were now tbf :pac:

You don't have to be a criminal to stick with the travel advisories tbf

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    So a bit like the reopening of schools here then, yet NPHET were quite happy with this arrangement.

Well not really

When is one of these things not like the other?

I think most people have accepted schools for kids are an essential activity despite the risk.

Sitting on a beach (for example) in some other country at this time isn't

Wallander wrote: »
    What's the worry about picking up 'unwanted presents' at a time when most EU countries have lower infection rates than Ireland?

Shouldn't the responsibility be on the individual to behave appropriately? By the looks of some goings on in Dublin this weekend, it's easy enough to find crowds and avoid social distancing here if you are inclined to. I can assure you my holidays are pretty tame in comparison.

Think I answered that...
    Well it does.

Well not really

When is one of these things not like the other?

I think most people have accepted schools for kids are an essential activity despite the risk.

Sitting on a beach in some other country at this time isn't

Except you are making the assumption that people who wish to travel are going to be sitting on a beach. You should take off your blinkers!

Except you are making the assumption that people who wish to travel are going to be sitting on a beach. You should take off your blinkers!

Well no - thats just an example obviously. Or would you like me to list all possible destinations? We could be here for a while...

I already covered travel for those who genuinely need to. See first comment. So you can take that as read.

You could leave off with the personalations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If you seen it yesterday,you would understand why it is close to the mark time wise.
    We were one flight of around 140-150 people. I was in row 8 on the plane and we were deboarded by seat row. It took nearly 30mins to get through passport control. God help the ones from the back of the plane.
    The main problem seemed to be very slow input of data to the computer imo,these boys were AGS. I've been through twice in the last month through normal immigration and they fly through the questions and data input.

Understand now,I had visions of people queuing for 10 hours to get on a plane.

Well no - thats just an example obviously. Or would you like me to list all possible destinations? We could be here for a while...

I already covered travel for those who genuinely need to. See first comment. So you can take that as read.

You could leave off with the personalations!

The point I'm making is the travel restrictions are an unnecessarily blunt instrument and for people with a genuine need to travel that is not on the official list of reasons are left in a situation where they have to argue their case at the airport which is absolutely ridiculous.

Well lol. No One said you were now tbf :pac:

You don't have to be a criminal to stick with the travel advisories tbf

you kinda implied it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When do people expect things like mask mandates and social distancing will end in other countries (we'll be the last). I'd feel it's not a very relaxing holiday if you're constantly working with covid related restrictions.

Do people expect masks to end on airplanes this year for example?

The point I'm making is the travel restrictions are an unnecessarily blunt instrument and for people with a genuine need to travel that is not on the official list of reasons are left in a situation where they have to argue their case at the airport which is absolutely ridiculous.

What would you suggest instead? And tbf no one is physically stopped from travelling

you kinda implied it though

Nope. Incorrect. Neither implied or stated. Unless you can point to where ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

titan18 wrote: »
    When do people expect things like mask mandates and social distancing will end in other countries (we'll be the last). I'd feel it's not a very relaxing holiday if you're constantly working with covid related restrictions.

Masks are a good idea on planes and some other places. Don't see a problem with them if it helps us open up earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

saabsaab wrote: »
    Masks are a good idea on planes and some other places. Don't see a problem with them if it helps us open up earlier.

I'd agree but it'll end at some point so just wondering when people expect that, particularly in regards planes or in other countries like Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd agree but it'll end at some point so just wondering when people expect that, particularly in regards planes or in other countries like Spain.

Masks might stay for the foreseeable future on planes. With full rollouts probably next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pooman

Marcusm wrote: »
    How self-centred would a person have to be to try to insist that an infected child board an aircraft with persons who might be vulnerable? There would be an element of psychopathy on that type of act, a concern solely with one’s own convenience with an utter disregard for others.
    Can't a jabbed person potentially be positive also but 0 tests for any of those carriers.. not considering that no? Convenient..

JojoLoca wrote: »
    I know you are talking about your kids, but Covid positive kid is no different to Covid positive adult. Also kids are not required to wear face masks on the plane (I always disagreed with that one), and you are talking here about going around the restrictions to potentially bringing Covid positive kid on the plane.

Antigen test tells you if you're infectious, the only test that anyone on a plane need to worry about, PCR gives false positives.. Masks? lolz.. disagree all you like, you're on the wrong side of science on that one

pooman wrote: »
    Can't a jabbed person potentially be positive also but 0 tests for any of those carriers.. not considering that no? Convenient..

Very unlikely though and it's about knowingly bringing a positive person
    Antigen test tells you if you're infectious, the only test that anyone on a plane need to worry about, PCR gives false positives.. Masks? lolz.. disagree all you like, you're on the wrong side of science on that one

One in a thousand false positives. False negative more likely

Well it does.

Moronic comment.. what difference does vaccinated % make? Take an Antigen at the airport. hell come over and administer the test yourself while they sit in the place seat.. would that satisfy you..

Both Antigen and PCR tests check for active Covid-19 infection rather than antibodies to the disease. 

Both Antigen and PCR tests may produce false positives. The figure for false positives in PCR Covid rests is just 0.2% ....

PCR tests are used to directly screen for the presence of viral RNA, which will be detectable in the body before antibodies form or symptoms of the disease are present.

Antigen tests also detect the presence of viral proteins (antigens) expressed by the COVID-19 virus in a sample from the respiratory tract of a person and are best suited for testing those who are symptomatic ie when symptoms of the disease are present.

Moronic comment.. what difference does vaccinated % make? Take an Antigen at the airport. hell come over and administer the test yourself while they sit in the place seat.. would that satisfy you..

Perhaps you should read the comment again. I dont think you understood it tbh

But why the evident snark?

You ask: what difference does vaccinated % make?

Well principaly because it is the standard answer - as it presumes the area of low risk being the only issue with regard to catching covid.. However that does not stand as its the activities associated with travel itself which are deemed to be of higher risk

Take an Antigen test.
    An antigen test simply confirms / does not confirm the presence of viral proteins (antigens) expressed by COVID-19 in the person tested. So no idea what this is supposed to be about.
    pooman wrote:
    he'll come over and administer the test yourself while they sit in the place seat.. would that satisfy you...

But perhaps more importantly to your idea is that an antigen test will not stop you becoming infected whilst travelling etc ...

• Advertisement

But perhaps more importantly an antigen test will not stop you becoming infected whilst travelling etc ...
    Does it work the same on a 3 hour bus vs A 3 hour plane trip?

Does it work the same on a 3 hour bus vs A 3 hour plane trip?

Do you mean will an antigen test stop you catching covid on a bus or plane? Simple answer is no.

Or do you mean can you get it on a three hour bus trip to Spain as you mentioned earlier?

Anyway think you might have missed the bit where known risks from issues with social distancing and crowded situations during travel does not just simply equate to a 'plane' or a 'bus'
    we know that travel where it is difficult to social distance and involves crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection. See the scenes from Palma Airport the other day for example.

Might want it edit your earlier post as you stated they stated its there until 19th July and that's factually incorrect. Don't know why you'd want to mislead the viewers of this thread

Get off the high horse. Where did I claim it was a fact and not opinion?

I quoted them and that's my take on their comments like the below

"Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan said: “By the 19th of July, we will remove the ban on non-essential travel."

Get off the high horse. Where did I claim it was a fact and not opinion?

I quoted them and that's my take on their comments like the below

That's been the case since the fine was brought in do I don't see why it would now become a reason to drop it.

They have stated 19th July. It will be extended until then.

Where did 'they' state the travel fine would be extended to July 19th like you said?

Where did 'they' state the travel fine would be extended to July 19th like you said?

First off that's not what I said. You can claim it bit I didn't. I said 'they' have very clearly stated that the 19th July will be when non essential travel will be allowed again. It was announced by the Minister's and mm himself on TV. He was quoted in multiple newspapers. Read one.

The second part is very clearly my opinion that based on their very easily found comments, the fine will be extended to that date.

First off that's not what I said. You can claim it bit I didn't. I said 'they' have very clearly stated that the 19th July will be when non essential travel will be allowed again. It was announced by the Minister's and mm himself on TV. He was quoted in multiple newspapers. Read one.

The second part is very clearly my opinion that based on their very easily found comments, the fine will be extended to that date.

It's exactly what you said, it's a quote of your post.
    It's not taken out if context either, you responding to my post stating how unenforceable the 2k fine is.

How is "they said" very clearly your opinion?

• Advertisement

It's exactly what you said, it's a quote of your post.
    It's not taken out if context either, you responding to my post stating how unenforceable the 2k fine is.

How is "they said" very clearly your opinion?

You know what a full stop is I assume? It plays an important role. So again, it's been stated multiple times that non essential travel will commence on that date.

Care to explain your statement that the fine is unenforceable by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Malta has announced masks in public places are no longer mandatory from 1st July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do you trust them on this?

Like it's it safe to book to fly on the 21st July?

Do you trust them on this?

Like it's it safe to book to fly on the 21st July?

Personally? On this one yes but I also wouldn't bet the house on the entire green cert system being up and running either. Just no more checkpoints and fines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Personally? On this one yes but I also wouldn't bet the house on the entire green cert system being up and running either. Just no more checkpoints and fines

Its a tricky one, wife is dying to go.

Normally I would wait till later but the youngest turns 2 in August which means full price and then she's back to work teaching in Sept. Might risk it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement