Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure what you mean but you'd want to be thick to believe that "we are just processing your refund" means you'll ever see your money again. How come amazon can give you a refund pretty much immediately online?Are Ryanair that behind in terms of payments?
    How come they can take your money immediately but can't give it back immediately when they are supposed to.With all your knowledge you'll have to explain that to me.The fact they robbed a good chunk of the population of a refund for so long might have something to do with why demand is down.
    Once bitten and all that.

Are you or your parents due a refund from Ryanair?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertise.
    • Take booking
    • Run zombie flight
    • Don't ever refund people ever, give them a voucher
    • Take bail out
    • repeat

Am I close? Of course you probably know more, I've only the newspaper to go off. I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding and the money is only resting in Ryanair's account.

Oct 15, 2020

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/airlines-operated-ghost-flights-to-avoid-refunds-hearing-told-1.4381684

Independent on travel debate here, I’ve had my suspicions around this constant claim from the IATA about refunds. My gut is telling me that O’Leary is probably right. Any direct refunds due are mostly done with the exception of any non standard refunds

If Ryanair has dealings with the travel agent then the IATA is twisting the truth. From a consumer perspective the consumer has a contract with the travel agent, not Ryanair. Therefore the travel agent is due for refund the consumer, not Ryanair. The travel agent more than likely has a B2B relationship with Ryanair with invoicing and credit terms. Travel agents are likely withholding payments from consumers as they haven’t been paid by Ryanair. Refunds are one thing but invoices, credits, refunds and payment terms are another. There’s potentially difference clauses about refunds in B2B transactions too.

Ryanair has always told consumers they’re better off booking direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Are you or your parents due a refund from Ryanair?

A bit personal there and slightly off topic. The thread title is about travel.

Ryanair demand might be down partly due to the fact they didn't refund people for a long long time.

That's got to have an effect on people and you can only generally rip off people once before they get wise.

All the advertising and "jab and go" sh!te probably didn't work this time around.

A bit personal there and slightly off topic. The thread title is about travel.
    Ryanair demand might be down partly due to the fact they didn't refund people for a long long time.
    That's got to have an effect on people and you can only generally rip off people once before they get wise.
    All the advertising and "jab and go" sh!te probably didn't work this time around.

Complaining about Refunds and Ryanair is also off topic Sunshine...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm amazed they don't have a package deal with rapid testing from a pop up testing centre in the departure lounge, I'd be all over that. Irish covid test is about 130% more expensive than the European average price. Handy for O'Leary to undercut.

Test and fly. No brainer.

I'm surprised he isn't doing them as part of the in-flight service, throwing in a free Sputnik vax, a free raffle ticket and a euro discount on a snack pack - to be honest.

• Advertisement

Passengers who accepted vouchers for cancelled flights not entitled to cash refunds

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40217711.html

Oooo I knew I smelled a rat with that voucher scheme. Luckily nobody I knew personally was affected although I'm sure many were.
    Would-be passengers who accepted vouchers in lieu of refunds from airlines when the Covid-19 pandemic took hold will not be getting their money back, according to the aviation regulator.

edit: seems Ryanair are allowing the voucher to convert to a cash refund if not used after one year which would make that article very misleading. I trust this to be true but haven't seen a link. Thanks for pointing out.

Not sure what you mean but you'd want to be thick to believe that "we are just processing your refund" means you'll ever see your money again.

I have had about 20 flights completely cancelled in the past year. About 15 of them Ryanair. Yes they were by far the slowest to refund and on one occasion I had to chase them but all 20 flights have been refunded (including the ones that I accepted a voucher on and then sought a refund)

Passengers who accepted vouchers for cancelled flights not entitled to cash refunds

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40217711.html

Oooo I knew I smelled a rat with that voucher scheme. Luckily nobody I knew personally was affected although I'm sure many were.

Thats a bit dishonest dont you think? The regulator states that you are no longer entitled to a refund under EU directives and legislation however Ryanair as part of their terms and conditions have guaranteed that any unused vouchers can be exchanged for a refund and if unused after 1 year, will be automatically refunded.

Im no fan of flying with them but be honest in your evaluation.

Complaining about Refunds and Ryanair is also off topic Sunshine...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699

I was responding to someone about what Ryanair will do. How they will stick it to the government. I suppose O'Leary throwing his toys out of the pram is nothing new.

I disagree that it's not relevant. What Ryanair do or don't do will very much affect if people will travel this year. My point on refunds was that they are partially to blame for the lack of demand as they have screwed over a massive amount of people.
    • That has to impact demand
    • which impacts Ryanair's planned routing
    • which impacts whether there will be flights or not
    • which impacts whether people will travel or not (the subject of the thread)

See how it's all connected? Unless you've become a mod.

I have had about 20 flights completely cancelled in the past year. About 15 of them Ryanair. Yes they were by far the slowest to refund and on one occasion I had to chase them but all 20 flights have been refunded (including the ones that I accepted a voucher on and then sought a refund)

Thats a bit dishonest dont you think? The regulator states that you are no longer entitled to a refund under EU directives and legislation however Ryanair as part of their terms and conditions have guaranteed that any unused vouchers can be exchanged for a refund and if unused after 1 year, will be automatically refunded.

Im no fan of flying with them but be honest in your evaluation.

I wasn't aware of that thanks. I'll edit the post. That's decent of them.

Why would a company rent space in the Terminal for testing when they already rent a part of the DAA car park at the Airport for testing?

Think you got confused.

The conversation was about Ryanair offering testing in the departures area.

• Advertisement

Think you got confused.

The conversation was about Ryanair offering testing in the departures area.

Won't happen anyways.

You see the post in isolation - that one was in respect to penal provisions for breach of 5km limits. Proportionality is an important aspect in EU law.

What I also said yesterday was that the fines are probably ok now (although differences in normal 5km and airport 5km may be a problem) but the fines for travelling to the airport will not hold up if inter-county travel is allowed in Ireland.

As a general point, that law is on shaky ground on any level. A poor case and a good challenge in front of a sympathetic judge and cases will be thrown out - and it would be a challenge in the Court of Appeal.

The fact that you still refer to this fictional 5km limit speaks volumes. Please, take the time to read the actual legislation and come back to me.

In fact, read the constitution and answer the question you were asked. What exact part of being breached and how so?

Won't happen anyways.

So you agree with me then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm amazed they don't have a package deal with rapid testing from a pop up testing centre in the departure lounge, I'd be all over that. Irish covid test is about 130% more expensive than the European average price. Handy for O'Leary to undercut.

Test and fly. No brainer.

Simple. Because we're not encouraging non essential travel. Too many eejits at that lark already despite the restrictions and fines ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The fact that you still refer to this fictional 5km limit speaks volumes. Please, take the time to read the actual legislation and come back to me.

In fact, read the constitution and answer the question you were asked. What exact part of being breached and how so?

Have a good read of this: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A52020DC0499 and come back to me about Freedom of Movement. You may have a legal qualification or not but you are certainly not an EU constitutional expert.

If Ireland continues to restrict freedom of movement to the EU even when we relax things domestically we will not have a leg to stand on. Controls disproportionate to the risk will not stand up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

gozunda wrote: »
    Simple. Because we're not encouraging non essential travel. Too many eejits at that lark already despite the restrictions and fines ...

Who's we? This summer there's plenty planning to fly myself included.
    You can stay restricted until 2025 if you like but don't speak for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You can stay restricted until 2025 if you like but don't speak for the rest of us.

The 2 week quarantine on your return could end up costing you more than the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

MadYaker wrote: »
    The 2 week quarantine on your return could end up costing you more than the holiday.

What 2 week quarantine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have a good read of this: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A52020DC0499 and come back to me about Freedom of Movement. You may have a legal qualification or not but you are certainly not an EU constitutional expert.

If Ireland continues to restrict freedom of movement to the EU even when we relax things domestically we will not have a leg to stand on. Controls disproportionate to the risk will not stand up either.

While I completely agree with you, the reality is that unless private citizens challenge it in EU courts the EU will not intervene, certainly not until we see mass vaccinations across the EU given the public health concerns.

Most people won’t be aware in great detail as to what their rights are and EU guidelines. Tbf most Irish citizens want travel banned outright with mandatory quarantine on everyone. Given this would cut off supply chains and not deal with domestic transmission, it’s a very short sighted view but no one cares. :(

There is a country wide Government Advisory in operation against all non-essential international travel just in case you haven't came across it.

And the reason for that is to help manage the rate of infection and prevent introduction of more infectious covid strains for the country at large

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/

And yes you risk mandatory quarantine on your return (and significant fines on your way out) where you go abroad to a long list of restricted countries and potentially other countries where infection rates increase during your stay.

There is also a legal requirement to quarantine for all arrivals from all other countries from 4 February. "The 14-day quarantine period must be undertaken at the address specified on the Passenger Locator Form. This also applies to passengers travelling from another country to Ireland, who arrive via Northern Ireland"

That is of course if you're allowed to travel at all without a vaccination certificate or travel this summer...

• Advertisement

So, all packed, ready for the off tomorrow. Will let people know what my experience is like getting to and through the airport. Though have no concerns about being stopped.

Have packed for the long haul, anticipating that I probably shan't return to Ireland until later in the summer, when this is over. The leaks and messaging this week, and the absolute nonsense today about the 5km limit, makes me all the more certain that I am doing the right thing. After my time in Valencia, will head to the UK where things will likely be very much closer to normal.

I am not the only person I know doing this, and I am sorry for the people who would like to but cannot. And are stuck with the daily NPHET and government narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So, all packed, ready for the off tomorrow. Will let people know what my experience is like getting to and through the airport. Though have no concerns about being stopped.

Have packed for the long haul, anticipating that I probably shan't return to Ireland until later in the summer, when this is over. The leaks and messaging this week, and the absolute nonsense today about the 5km limit, makes me all the more certain that I am doing the right thing. After my time in Valencia, will head to the UK where things will likely be very much closer to normal.

I am not the only person I know doing this, and I am sorry for the people who would like to but cannot. And are stuck with the daily NPHET and government narrative

To be honest, I think that it's a bit sad to hear of someone like that.

Speaking as someone who went to work abroad after the financial crash, and stayed away for the best part of a decade. My holiday priority during that time was going back to visit family and see friends in Ireland. I had a very good job, and material lifestyle, abroad but I was always going to come home and I am happy that I did.

I genuinely find it very saddening to hear that someone has nothing of value here that might outweigh the distress hearing some public health briefings on the radio for a few months.

To be honest, I think that it's a bit sad to hear of someone like that.

Speaking as someone who went to work abroad after the financial crash, and stayed away for the best part of a decade. My holiday priority during that time was going back to visit family and see friends in Ireland. I had a very good job, and material lifestyle, abroad but I was always going to come home and I am happy that I did.

I genuinely find it very saddening to hear that someone has nothing of value here that might outweigh the distress hearing some public health briefings on the radio for a few months.

I love Ireland. I was not born here, but became naturalised many years ago. But I live for the outside, I surf and ride, I coach a sports team (at least did) and my life is on the mountains and in the sea.

I am not selling up. I am keeping my house. I will be back to live the life that I want to live. But, since I can, why would I not go somewhere that I am not beholden to what will be (seemingly by some distance) the slowest release of restrictions in Europe,

The public health briefings don't distress me. I don't listen to them. But why would I stay and be trapped by a ridiculous and unnecessary level of restriction when I need not be?

Just because someone travels it does not mean that they see no value in the country in which they live. You, by your own admission, know this

faceman wrote: »
    While I completely agree with you, the reality is that unless private citizens challenge it in EU courts the EU will not intervene, certain until we see mass vaccinations across the EU given the public health concerns.

Most people won’t be aware in great detail as to what their rights are and EU guidelines. Tbf most Irish citizens want travel banned outright with mandatory quarantine on everyone. Given this would cut off supply chains and not deal with domestic transmission, it’s a very short sighted view but no one cares. :(

Where are you getting that from? "Most people"? Even in countries (such as New Zealand for example) with similar restrictions on travel - supply chains are largely unaffected and domestic transmission certainly seems to be controlled (and yes I know Ireland is not New Zealand btw). There are also permit systems for retuning residents afaik.

I think those who would wish to see less "I'm away on my holidays, fek yiz" aren't calling for travel to be banned completely at all - just that existing restrictions on travel etc are observed. We seem to have a cohort who don't believe in any restrictions or at least they don't apply to them personally or for some strange reason seems to believe that no where else has restrictions. Its just bizarre tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

While I completely agree with you, the reality is that unless private citizens challenge it in EU courts the EU will not intervene, certainly not until we see mass vaccinations across the EU given the public health concerns.

The mind-set is similar in the UK right now (check bbc comments, its about 80:20 to lock anybody up forever if they dare land into the UK)....but don't worry they will change their tune come July when they want to go away for a sun holiday.

People are fickle.

At the moment it is mob rule. You'd think we had a mature collection of parties in power but transient public opinion does sway governments, especially when they are weak conglomerate coalitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

While I completely agree with you, the reality is that unless private citizens challenge it in EU courts the EU will not intervene, certain until we see mass vaccinations across the EU given the public health concerns.

The media and some politicians are whipping up the storm on travel even though it is a bit of a red herring. And I agree with you about the long term damage.

I think there will be challenges by business at some point (plus business lobby will get into the ears of Ministers) but the Government will just about get ahead of them. We may also see things happen in other countries - maybe interesting to watch the case on curfews in the Netherlands.

I love Ireland. I was not born here, but became naturalised many years ago. But I live for the outside, I surf and ride, I coach a sports team (at least did) and my life is on the mountains and in the sea.

I am not selling up. I am keeping my house. I will be back to live the life that I want to live. But, since I can, why would I not go somewhere that I am not beholden to what will be (seemingly by some distance) the slowest release of restrictions in Europe,

The public health briefings don't distress me. I don't listen to them. But why would I stay and be trapped by a ridiculous and unnecessary level of restriction when I need not be?

Just because someone travels it does not mean that they see no value in the country in which they live. You, by your own admission, know this

You should read this article outlining the status in other European countries https://www.dw.com/en/european-travel-restrictions-non-essential-travel-curbed/a-56350272

If you just read posts on here, you get a serious case of "grass is greener".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Good luck to you, after all this I will never look at refugees or migrants in the same light again, those of us who have escaped are now doing so, literally we would be prisoners in Ireland now to a corrupt Government using an epidemic virus to implement totalitarianism on the people in the name of a virus which has killed less than 1 in 1,000. All I can say is shame on the people left behind who accept this, what more will they put up with, happy to accept €350 blood money whilst every personal freedom we hold dear is stripped away in the name of virus which is very much under control and under retreat.

theguzman wrote: »
    Good luck to you, after all this I will never look at refugees or migrants in the same light again, those of us who have escaped are now doing so, literally we would be prisoners in Ireland now to a corrupt Government using an epidemic virus to implement totalitarianism on the people in the name of a virus which has killed less than 1 in 1,000. All I can say is shame on the people left behind who accept this, what more will they put up with, happy to accept €350 blood money whilst every personal freedom we hold dear is stripped away in the name of virus which is very much under control and under retreat.

How was your Carnival in Brazil?

You were posting a day or two about going for a haircut. I went to Carnival a few years back and there wouldn't have been any hairdressers open for that week! And not due to corona either

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »

I think you may need to drop a bit of the the hyperbole and read the comment linking details of other EU countries restrictions above yours and the fairly strict restrictions now in place right across Europe.

Also what it has to say about Ireland and the reason why there are restrictions here ...

Remembering that its not just about deaths but our health services being overrun and stopping this happening. Thankfully we seem to be now going in the right direction ...
    (Ireland) now has the highest number of new infections per capita in the world. After a temporary easing of the nationwide lockdown before Christmas, the infection figures there, fueled by the highly contagious COVID-19 variant, are rising unchecked, and severe restrictions are once again in place...

Sadly It would appear much of this is being hijacked for the purposes of political doommongering ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement