Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

At this stage I’d give any Gard €2k in cash to get the fcuk out of here.

Luckily for you it will only cost 500 fine from a Garda or Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Many who are away in this thread doesn't seem to be enjoying their freedom too much since they are posting the same hyperbolic nonsense here that they did before they left what they describe as "The Tyranny of Ireland".

When I got to Lanzarote for Christmas, the last place I wanted to be checking in on was the Covid forum. I was out on the beaches, hiking forgetting about the whole thing. Makes you wonder, I don't believe half them are even away and just filling some agenda.

Tyranny, peasants, elite all that guff being spouted is self hating immature nonsense. As another poster a few posts above rightly pointed out, no one is stopping you getting outside for walks.

People keep up to date on goings-on at home where their friends and family are being subjected to severe restrictions? Shocker.

I do keep abreast of it myself as I had plans in Ireland for the summer, gone now of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I don't know how this is going to work across Europe when so many younger people will not be vaccinated for a long time yet. Surely they will have to keep on using PCR tests before they can implement vaccine passports. Many people under 50 won't be vaccinated for many months.

I think by the summer they will accept vaccinated people in Europe, but they will have some sort of mechanism for people who aren't vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tazz T wrote: »

Give with one hand and take with the other. I suspect Dr. Gloom will write to Minister for Health expressing his concern as usual...............

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    I don't know how this is going to work across Europe when so many younger people will not be vaccinated for a long time yet. Surely they will have to keep on using PCR tests before they can implement vaccine passports. Many people under 50 won't be vaccinated for many months.

I think by the summer they will accept vaccinated people in Europe, but they will have some sort of mechanism for people who aren't vaccinated.

In theory, and its only my uneducated view, shouldnt that not be important? Once those at risk are immune and the carriers dont even notice they have it, whats the issue?

I know its repeated often but I really wonder how many people have actually had it and not even noticed or been tested. Probable far higher than the actual numbers considering most people dont have symptoms

In theory, and its only my uneducated view, shouldnt that not be important? Once those at risk are immune and the carriers dont even notice they have it, whats the issue?

I know its repeated often but I really wonder how many people have actually had it and not even noticed or been tested. Probable far higher than the actual numbers considering most people dont have symptoms

No I do agree with the points you have made. I just hope when they vaccinate the over 50s and they are protected. Then the situation will improve dramatically and it won't be absolutely necessary for younger people to get hold of vaccine passports. Otherwise it'll be very tricky moving forward when it comes to travel in Europe for younger people, because of the delay of the vaccine rollout.

Meanwhile in Israel

https://twitter.com/IsraelinIreland/status/1362504134168113153

Pretty sure this would work here

Meanwhile in Israel

Pretty sure you shouldnt get 24 vaccinations in the same day though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Booked me holidays last night. 10 days in Andalusia starting June 8th. At the rate we're going it'll probably be the first time I'm allowed see what lies more than 5km from my house.

What a time to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Meanwhile in Israel

This is ridiculous

Pretty sure you shouldnt get 24 vaccinations in the same day though :p

LOL - that might be an issue

Booked me holidays last night. 10 days in Andalusia starting June 8th. At the rate we're going it'll probably be the first time I'm allowed see what lies more than 5km from my house.

What a time to be alive.

Still obsessed with a fictional 5km I see?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Still obsessed with a fictional 5km I see?

Still repeating yourself all day long? You must be bored now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

They already have - 2 weeks in a hotel room, at your own expense (approx. €2k).

Have a great trip :D.

Kramer wrote: »

You are sadly mistaken if you thought I was talking about the current situation. Summer is many months away and things are going to gradually change with the rollout of the vaccine to the vulnerable groups.

I will be having a great trip this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Incorrect on pretty much every count: summer not now, EU not only red list countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

What a time to be alive.

I admire your optimism, also due to fly out on June 8, gut tells me the fines will still be in place though, we’ll need 0 in ICU, 0 positive tests from May 1st, 100% of the population vaccinated & you may be allowed a staycation within 30km as long as you have a letter of authorisation from Nphet, of course you’ll also need your pre drive PCR test & restrict your movements for 14 days after returning

I admire your optimism, also due to fly out on June 8, gut tells me the fines will still be in place though, we’ll need 0 in ICU, 0 positive tests from May 1st, 100% of the population vaccinated & you may be allowed a staycation within 30km as long as you have a letter of authorisation from Nphet, of course you’ll also need your pre drive PCR test & restrict your movements for 14 days after returning

It'll also need to be a full moon on a Tuesday to be allowed back in for testing and quarantine, six months reeducation and summary execution if your PCR documentation isn't in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It'll also need to be a full moon on a Tuesday to be allowed back in for testing and quarantine, six months reeducation and summary execution if your PCR documentation isn't in order.

And your family get billed for the bullet

• Advertisement

And your family get billed for the bullet

What family? They died in the concentration camps where they were tortured to get the details on your whereabouts while you were on your second pint in Magaluff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The U.K. is giving consideration this week to the US and Spain to their red list meaning only U.K. citizens and residents can travel to and from with hotel detention centre quarantine required when landing in the U.K.

Likely to be retaliation for Spain and the US ban on U.K. travelers. (Just like what they did with Mauritius)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Meanwhile in Israel

That's classic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Meanwhile in Israel

I don't think that's such a great idea, alcohol is an immunosupressant.
    Although there's not enough data to indicate that it will reduce a Covid vaccine response.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2262654-should-you-avoid-alcohol-when-getting-a-coronavirus-vaccine/

But that's where Israel are at the moment, because they've run out of people who want the vaccine.
    This is an example of carrot.
    Stick will follow when all the carrots have run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I will be having a great trip this summer.
    josip wrote: »
    Incorrect on pretty much every count: summer not now, EU not only red list countries.

People were browbeaten into not travelling last summer. They deliberately didn't update the green list for 3 or 4 weeks IIRC. Then they didn't accept the €uropean traffic light system, when we were green, as were many other EU countries.
    They also intimated public servants, who were 100% working from home, saying they would have to take an additional 2 weeks holidays when they got back, in solidarity with others.

They did everything they could to discourage travel - they basically lied & misled.

Now they have actual laws, draconian laws, to criminalise travel.
    They also have the apparent support of the populace, to enforce this travel ban.

I'm all for travel & hoped for a proportionate response to this, but posters here should realise we're in the minority. Our only hope is continental €urope opens up & drags us along with them, but that didn't happen last summer.

I'm not optimistic but could well do with getting my teeth whitened, so there's always that :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

josip wrote: »
    I don't think that's such a great idea, alcohol is an immunosupressant.
    Although there's not enough data to indicate that it will reduce a Covid vaccine response.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2262654-should-you-avoid-alcohol-when-getting-a-coronavirus-vaccine/

But that's where Israel are at the moment, because they've run out of people who want the vaccine.
    This is an example of carrot.
    Stick will follow when all the carrots have run out.

Any word of them sharing these vaccines with the people whose land they are stealing and occupying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

After a year of working from my spare room and being told we won't be back in the office til May I've had enough. Just moved to Tenerife and I'll work from here instead.. Slab of san Miguel for the balcony, enjoyed a lasagne and pint at the poolside bar at lunchtime. Had to call IT at work for a vpn issue but they sorted it quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Did Woody22 get back regarding his experience in Dublin airport? Woody if you're reading, I'd love to hear about your experience with the Gardai today and if the Gards are at the check in desks or at security/x ray screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpw9802

Hi everyone,

My partner who I haven't seen in months is due to travel from the UK (shes English and lives in UK) next week, she is a brand ambassador/social media person for a small Irish owned women's clothing company here in Ireland. She has a letter from her employer.

Just wondering if that would be classed as an essential reason to travel by border/Gardai.

She will be quarantining with me for the full two weeks. Any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

fran38 wrote: »
    Did Woody22 get back regarding his experience in Dublin airport? Woody if you're reading, I'd love to hear about your experience with the Gardai today and if the Gards are at the check in desks or at security/x ray screening.

I don't know woody22 but i can tell you my experience.

I showed up 3 hours early by bus. I saw a garda checkpoint outside T2 - they had stopped a motorist.
    I was flying to Lanzarote from T1 so i used security at T2. There was only me and one other guy going through security. There was an unmanned garda stand before security.
    The airport's a ghosttown. The big duty free is open, the newsagent, currys and so is the big restaurant. Most other shops are shut. I arrived at breakfast-time. They weren't doing table service (had a food counter) for food but the pints were great. I had 3 while researching hotels on my phone.
    Check in was smooth. A girl ahead of me appeared not to have proper documents and I'm not sure if she boarded. You need a neg pcr and travel health form.
    I had a row to myself. The three seats to the left, and in front and behind were also free.
    Everyone was wearing masks but after an hour most ppl had them under their nose.
    Arrival in tenerife.. Scan the barcode on health card, flash passport to police and get bus to hotel. €200 for 5 nights.
    The pcr is meant to be dated 72 hrs before arrival in canaries and arrival in hotel. In reality mine was a few hours over in both cases.
    Look i just had 2 pints and pizza for eur 6.if you're young or single or without kids and looking for a nice sunny country with bargain accommodation this is it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement