Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

antix80 wrote: »
    I don't know woody22 but i can tell you my experience.

I showed up 3 hours early by bus. I saw a garda checkpoint outside T2 - they had stopped a motorist.
    I was flying to Lanzarote from T1 so i used security at T2. There was only me and one other guy going through security. There was an unmanned garda stand before security.
    The airport's a ghosttown. The big duty free is open and so is the big restaurant. I arrived at breakfast-time. They weren't doing table service (had a food counter) for food but the pints were great. I had 3 while researching hotels on my phone.
    Check in was smooth. A girl ahead of me appeared not to have proper documents and I'm not sure if she boarded. You need a neg pcr and travel health form.
    I had a row to myself. The three seats to the left, and in front and behind were also free.
    Everyone was wearing masks but after an hour most ppl had them under their nose.
    Arrival in tenerife.. Scan the barcode on health card, flash passport to police and get bus to hotel. €200 for 5 nights.
    The pcr is meant to be dated 72 hrs before arrival in canaries and arrival in hotel. In reality mine was a few hours over in both cases.
    Look i just had 2 pints and pizza for eur 6.if you're young or single or without kids and looking for a nice sunny country with bargain accommodation this is it.

I'd jump on a plane but there's so much "non-essential" work to be done I just don't have time at the moment. I'm looking forward to a week abroad in a few month's time.

Still repeating yourself all day long? You must be bored now.

Well someone needs to stop the misinformation and ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

I don't know woody22 but i can tell you my experience.

I showed up 3 hours early by bus. I saw a garda checkpoint outside T2 - they had stopped a motorist.
    I was flying to Lanzarote from T1 so i used security at T2. There was only me and one other guy going through security. There was an unmanned garda stand before security.
    The airport's a ghosttown. The big duty free is open, the newsagent, currys and so is the big restaurant. Most other shops are shut. I arrived at breakfast-time. They weren't doing table service (had a food counter) for food but the pints were great. I had 3 while researching hotels on my phone.
    Check in was smooth. A girl ahead of me appeared not to have proper documents and I'm not sure if she boarded. You need a neg pcr and travel health form.
    I had a row to myself. The three seats to the left, and in front and behind were also free.
    Everyone was wearing masks but after an hour most ppl had them under their nose.
    Arrival in tenerife.. Scan the barcode on health card, flash passport to police and get bus to hotel. €200 for 5 nights.
    The pcr is meant to be dated 72 hrs before arrival in canaries and arrival in hotel. In reality mine was a few hours over in both cases.
    Look i just had 2 pints and pizza for eur 6.if you're young or single or without kids and looking for a nice sunny country with bargain accommodation this is it.

"Scan the barcode on health card" what's that? I have a printed travel/medical insurance cert.

I'm going to Dubai tomorrow. I'll take the initial 500e hit if it comes to it as I'm visiting my girlfriend. However, if I'm told by a gard that if I insist on continuing my journey, I can look forward to a 2000e fine on my return. Well then, I'd have to get back on the bus.
    Best of luck with your break. You doing the right thing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpw9802

fran38 wrote: »
    "Scan the barcode on health card" what's that? I have a printed travel/medical ins email.

I'm going to Dubai tomorrow. I'll take the initial 500e hit if it comes to it as I'm visiting my girlfriend. However, if I'm told by a gard that if I insist on continuing my journey, I can look forward to a 2000e fine on my return. Well then, I'd have to get back on the bus.
    Best of luck with your break. You do e the right thing imo

Let us know how this goes tomorrow. Do you reckon they're more strict on people leaving or coming back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

cpw9802 wrote: »
    Let us know how this goes tomorrow. Do you reckon they're more strict on people leaving or coming back in?

I will. I'll post once I'm sitting in departures or on my todd on the bus home 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

fran38 wrote: »
    "Scan the barcode on health card" what's that? I have a printed travel/medical insurance cert.

It's a local restriction in Spain.

My partner who I haven't seen in months is due to travel from the UK (shes English and lives in UK) next week, she is a brand ambassador/social media person for a small Irish owned women's clothing company here in Ireland. She has a letter from her employer.

If i were her, I'd leave the occupation off the letter.
    She can always say she's an accountant. Gardai will wave her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpw9802

If i were her, I'd leave the occupation off the letter.
    She can always say she's an accountant. Gardai will wave her on.

Yeah just wouldn't want to get caught out. Does anyone know if a physiotherapist appointment is classified as essential medical travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Ireland of the welcomes or more likely Ireland of the racists.... there will be people looking back in 12 months who should be hanging their heads in shame.

Yeah just wouldn't want to get caught out. Does anyone know if a physiotherapist appointment is classified as essential medical travel?

Depends really on the particular circumstances I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does she need a polish and clean ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Hi everyone,

My partner who I haven't seen in months is due to travel from the UK (shes English and lives in UK) next week, she is a brand ambassador/social media person for a small Irish owned women's clothing company here in Ireland. She has a letter from her employer.

Just wondering if that would be classed as an essential reason to travel by border/Gardai.
    Of course she can come back, if she pays income taxes here I believe it's even her obligation to spend at least 180 days in the state each year. I don't think there will be many questions on entry, as the focus during the last couple of weeks is more on people leaving for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

3 cases of the Brazilian variant now in Ireland, all related to travel from Brazil... Not surprising really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

3 cases of the Brazilian variant now in Ireland, all related to travel from Brazil... Not surprising really

Not surprising at all when you've had woke and woker in power trying to be more woke than each other chasing open borders policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Reminded me of this :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pbsH08yB4&t=29s

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

IQO wrote: »
    if she pays income taxes here I believe it's even her obligation to spend at least 180 days in the state each year.

You have that arseways anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Browned off with all these penalties for travels that I'll stay home until 20whenever. Once 5km limits lifted I will go and visit family and friends around the country. However I will not be going on a "staycation" would prefer to watch repeats of Micheal Palins, Jane Cruiser holiday/travel shows on TV. If I win the euromillions I'll go in 22 to Southfrica holiday and 23 do a kora at Mount Kailash I'll keep dreaming meantime....

pottokblue wrote: »
    Browned off with all these penalties for travels that I'll stay home until 20whenever. Once 5km limits lifted I will go and visit family and friends around the country. However I will not be going on a "staycation" would prefer to watch repeats of Micheal Palins, Jane Cruiser holiday/travel shows on TV. If I win the euromillions I'll go in 22 to Southfrica holiday and 23 do a kora at Mount Kailash I'll keep dreaming meantime....

I love the idea of a staycation but the thing about ireland is, if you have a car you can drive anywhere in a day. If you take friday off work you can have a staycation every weekend. But personally, i don't.. It costs too much. 3 nights in a hotel at weekends could be €500 and a decent meal with drinks about €70 per person. And then there's no guarantee of good weather.

pottokblue wrote: »

Unless you are running to them in the name of exercise, this isnt relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Hospitality closed until the middle of summer according to Michael Martin speaking with RTE.

Get me on that plane :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

RobitTV wrote: »
    Hospitality closed until the middle of summer according to Michael Martin speaking with RTE.

Hospitality is only closed for the saps who will be obeying those clowns in government. The rest of us will be over in spain enjoying our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Hospitality is only closed for the saps who will be obeying those clowns in government. The rest of us will be over in spain enjoying our lives.

Well odly enough some of us 'saps' dont have the luxury of the option to head off to Spain!!!

MarkY91 wrote: »

Why are you in Ireland if you have a great life in Spain?

Seems a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

RobitTV wrote: »

Yep, mid July before you can have a meal in a restaurant.
    That's close to 22 weeks from now :eek:.

Let that sink in. We'll have been on level 5 lockdown for close to 36 weeks by then, since last "summer", excepting the week or two at Christmas.

Why would anyone think they'll be able to travel internationally, this year?

Just throw out "new variants" & pop countries with them on the new list - boom, 2 week mandatory hotel detainment, just €2k, per person sharing.

56 days into this present lockdown & just another 154 days before you'll be able to eat in, at a McDonalds.
    200 days.............:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Kramer wrote: »

Forgot the link:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-restuarants-taoiseach-5360607-Feb2021/

Kramer wrote: »

Let that sink in. We'll have been on level 5 lockdown for close to 36 weeks by then, since last "summer", excepting the week or two at Christmas.

Why would anyone think they'll be able to travel internationally, this year?

Just throw out "new variants" & pop counties with them on the new list - boom, 2 week mandatory hotel detainment, just €2k, per person sharing.

56 days into this present lockdown & just another 154 days before you'll be able to eat in, at a McDonalds.
    200 days.............:eek:.

Eating in at a McDonalds? Well I'm glad to see that some people have ambition and set their sights high ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if that would be classed as an essential reason to travel by border/Gardai.

She will be quarantining with me for the full two weeks. Any help would be appreciated

You only get fined for leaving Ireland, not for coming in (unless you don't have your negative PCR test.

You only get fined for leaving Ireland, not for coming in (unless you don't have your negative PCR test.

One would imagine that if you are returning from your trip to Tenerife, having managed to get out without being caught, and you are stopped on your way back and it is found that you breached regulations by going out, that you would be fined for that.

(Am speaking in general sense. Not applicable to this specific one)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sitting in Business class of an Airbus 330, probably half full, inflight service is much better than last year as they are no longer just dumping a bag of orange juice and dettol in our laps. The airport was much busier than during my last visit. 90 minute jaunt home and relax for 10 days, after that I will possibly end up in Dubai or Madrid.

Life goes on outside the Emerald Isle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

We are looking to travel to the US to visit my wife's family, who are getting on and in all honesty may not see next year due to age, not Covid. We're 100% willing to quarantine on both sides for 2 weeks and take all tests. The question is, can we leave Ireland or not? Does anyone know of a way of getting permission to do so? We don't want to be turned away at the airport after making all arrangements. Any tips at all would be appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement