Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sitting in Business class of an Airbus 330, probably half full, inflight service is much better than last year as they are no longer just dumping a bag of orange juice and dettol in our laps. The airport was much busier than during my last visit. 90 minute jaunt home and relax for 10 days, after that I will possibly end up in Dubai or Madrid.

Life goes on outside the Emerald Isle.

Sure look. It's always the same in any walk of life. Some people are responsible and others are leechs who don't do their bit and "life goes on" for them, and they actually benefit from others making those sacrifices.

Life goes on for the selfish ones who just travel anyway and sneer at the "saps" who are responsible and postpone their travel

Life goes on for your neighbouring lifetime dole-heads who got their "foreva home" across the road from you and sneer at the "saps" who get up and go to work in the morning. Especially the saps who are working in healthcare etc. and who are under immense pressure.

And the local 18 year old wannabe dealer who has his shite Canada Goose jacket and little souped up car can sneer at the "saps" who are going to college to try to learn to do something.

tails_naf wrote: »
    We are looking to travel to the US to visit my wife's family, who are getting on and in all honesty may not see next year due to age, not Covid. We're 100% willing to quarantine on both sides for 2 weeks and take all tests. The question is, can we leave Ireland or not? Does anyone know of a way of getting permission to do so? We don't want to be turned away at the airport after making all arrangements. Any tips at all would be appreciated

You will likely have issues on the other side.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

We are looking to travel to the US to visit my wife's family, who are getting on and in all honesty may not see next year due to age, not Covid. We're 100% willing to quarantine on both sides for 2 weeks and take all tests. The question is, can we leave Ireland or not? Does anyone know of a way of getting permission to do so? We don't want to be turned away at the airport after making all arrangements. Any tips at all would be appreciated

Not looking likely to be honest. They’ve extended the border closure between Canada and US for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/united-states-of-america/

Entry into the US is restricted for those travelling from Ireland, the UK, Schengen Area countries, Brazil, China and Iran.
    Non US nationals including Irish nationals who have visited, or are resident in the countries listed above Ireland or the UK for 14 days or less prior to their travel to the USA will be denied entry, unless they are legal permanent residents of the US, or the spouse or child of a US national. This extends the coverage of the restrictions the US Government introduced on Friday 13 March restricting the entry to the USA of non-US nationals and permanent residents who had visited or resided in Schengen Area countries over the same period. The US Government has indicated that this is a temporary restriction that will last for 30 days.
    So unless you have a US passport it's hard to get into the US at the moment. See also https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

I've heard of workarounds by flying to Mexico/Colombia/Turkey first, stay there for 14 days+ and then go to the US. You'd probably need an already issued visa for the US.. can't vouch for it if this actually works.

Travel was ‘significant contributor’ to second Covid-19 wave – study

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/travel-was-significant-contributor-to-second-covid-19-wave-study-1.4489852
    Prof Paddy Mallon, UCD professor of microbial diseases and an infectious diseases consultant at St Vincent’s, said the research shows the “very clear role” international travel plays in seeding a country with a new wave of infections and variants of the disease.

“What this study shows is if you get your cases as low as we did, in effect you have the ability to eliminate those variants from the country, and if you get the cases that low, your main threat comes from travel,” said Prof Mallon, an author of the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

American passport holders can travel direct from EU or any of the black listed countries. I am 'pretty' sure that spouses of american citizens can also travel direct too.

"Non US nationals including Irish nationals who have visited, or are resident in the countries listed above Ireland or the UK for 14 days or less prior to their travel to the USA will be denied entry, unless they are legal permanent residents of the US, or the spouse or child of a US national. This extends the coverage of the restrictions the US Government introduced on Friday 13 March restricting the entry to the USA of non-US nationals and permanent residents who had visited or resided in Schengen Area countries over the same period. The US Government has indicated that this is a temporary restriction that will last for 30 days."

From: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/united-states-of-america/

If you are NOT an american you can get entry into the USA via a third country after 14 days such as Turkey, Mexico, Croatia...these are the popular ones...you can travel on an ESTA.

I had a clarifying question for anyone: If someone was coming back into Ireland I assume the hotel quarantine doesnt apply to them if they are Irish passport holders? I tried looking for clarification but could not find...

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Hospitality is only closed for the saps who will be obeying those clowns in government. The rest of us will be over in spain enjoying our lives.

Some of us have jobs and can't spend the whole summer in Spain
    Some of us might fancy a weekend or two away in a nice hotel

Not to mention the hospitality workers, who need to get back to work

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sitting in Business class of an Airbus 330, probably half full, inflight service is much better than last year as they are no longer just dumping a bag of orange juice and dettol in our laps. The airport was much busier than during my last visit. 90 minute jaunt home and relax for 10 days, after that I will possibly end up in Dubai or Madrid.

Life goes on outside the Emerald Isle.

Well, tbf, if we were all quarantined in a hotel for weeks at a time and given 50 something covid tests so far, then life probably would go on in Ireland also

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpw9802

You only get fined for leaving Ireland, not for coming in (unless you don't have your negative PCR test.

Thanks, so hopefully won't have any issues getting in then.Will have an email/letter from her employer to say she is needed here to show passport control and garda.

But will she be required to quarantine for 14 days before being able to go to the office where the company is based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Q. Have you booked accommodation in Ireland for summer 2021?

No: 88%
    Yes: 12%

Amarach Research & Claire Byrne Live

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1361458119537283073

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2021/02/20/79663/travel-restrictions-germany-eases.html

Will be interesting to see what Boris says on Monday.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2021/02/20/79663/travel-restrictions-germany-eases.html

You have to admire the Germans, they’re allowing their citizens to travel to Spain again, quarantine for 5 days on return plus negative PcR test. No hysteria, no demonising of people, just practical measures.

You have to admire the Germans, they’re allowing their citizens to travel to Spain again, quarantine for 5 days on return plus negative PcR test. No hysteria, no demonising of people, just practical measures.

Saw that article today about the Germans being allowed to travel again. I felt jealous :(

This is what needs to happen in Ireland when the summer arrives. PCR negative test result and *maybe* 5 days of isolation. But we should get rid of that by the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

The second wave at Christmas was definitely made worse by travel, but the majority of that was people coming in, not Irish residents travelling abroad, and a huge amount of the cases were imported by a certain ethnic group, that no doubt the authorities didn't bother with. Plenty of videos circulating on social media from Rathkeale to prove this. Now that there is mandatory testing and quarantine in place, and anyone can roll in here, why are we prisoners on our own island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why are you in Ireland if you have a great life in Spain?

Seems a bit weird.

I'll be on holiday in Spain in the summer. Not living there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

So at the moment they are saying hospitality will remain closed. But I assume that we are not going to be in full level 5 until then? Will the passport office reopen in time to clear the backlog?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Any expectation as to when travel to airport is no longer penalised? Is it whenever level 5 ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    The second wave at Christmas was definitely made worse by travel, but the majority of that was people coming in, not Irish residents travelling abroad, and a huge amount of the cases were imported by a certain ethnic group, that no doubt the authorities didn't bother with. Plenty of videos circulating on social media from Rathkeale to prove this. Now that there is mandatory testing and quarantine in place, and anyone can roll in here, why are we prisoners on our own island.
    not in yet as they have not passed legislation yet and sourced hotels, as for self quarantine, how do you do this in a feckin house share. Typical FFG, slow as fcuk when it comes to things that might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Great to see some progressive forward thinking from the Germans. Unsurprising really. I suspect the Brits will also be able to travel this summer although they probably won’t announce that for another month or two. There’s very few oppressive states around the world that fine their citizens for trying to leave....But then I guess when you’re desperate to cover up your own failings, it serves as a great distraction.

Some hotels are looking forward to the return of British tourists this summer

BH Mallorca
    ☀️ ⛱ The Great British Summer in Mallorca! ⛱ ☀️
    We're ready for it....are you?

BH Mallorca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

One would imagine that if you are returning from your trip to Tenerife, having managed to get out without being caught, and you are stopped on your way back and it is found that you breached regulations by going out, that you would be fined for that.

(Am speaking in general sense. Not applicable to this specific one)

Incorrect, according to the Gardai when they referenced the ridiculous notion of charging people who didn't turn up to a dental appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Sure look. It's always the same in any walk of life. Some people are responsible and others are leechs who don't do their bit and "life goes on" for them, and they actually benefit from others making those sacrifices.

Life goes on for the selfish ones who just travel anyway and sneer at the "saps" who are responsible and postpone their travel

Life goes on for your neighbouring lifetime dole-heads who got their "foreva home" across the road from you and sneer at the "saps" who get up and go to work in the morning. Especially the saps who are working in healthcare etc. and who are under immense pressure.

And the local 18 year old wannabe dealer who has his shite Canada Goose jacket and little souped up car can sneer at the "saps" who are going to college to try to learn to do something.

Sorry, what

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

cpw9802 wrote: »
    Thanks, so hopefully won't have any issues getting in then.Will have an email/letter from her employer to say she is needed here to show passport control and garda.

But will she be required to quarantine for 14 days before being able to go to the office where the company is based?

You’re advised to Restrict Movement/quarantine for 14 days but you are allowed to take a PCR test after 5 days and if it’s negative you can stop restricting movements.
    In reality she’ll get a few texts from gov.ie, no phone calls or anything like that. No one checks.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'll be on holiday in Spain in the summer. Not living there.

It's a bit saddening that you can't enjoy your life where you live.

If all you have to look forward to is a 19.99 flight to get away to somewhere where nobody knows you

RobitTV wrote: »
    Some hotels are looking forward to the return of British tourists this summer

BH Mallorca
    ☀️ ⛱ The Great British Summer in Mallorca! ⛱ ☀️
    We're ready for it....are you?

BH Mallorca

161372270315355305?4685806878

Hey look. There are plenty of gullible eejits out there who will book non-refundable accommodation. If I owned a hotel over there I'd be happily trying to convince people they should hand over their money to me and that the hotel will definitely be open

The same eejits will be ringing Joe Duffy in the Summer and crying for the government to reimburse them if they can't go :pac:

Incorrect, according to the Gardai when they referenced the ridiculous notion of charging people who didn't turn up to a dental appointment.

It must be the only law ever passed that, if you are not explicitly caught during the act, you can never be penalised for breaking it

Will have to remember that if I go 80km "for a burger" .... "nah nah nah, I'm on me way home now guard. Can't do me" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's a bit saddening that you can't enjoy your life where you live.

If all you have to look forward to is a 19.99 flight to get away to somewhere where nobody knows you

Really? Enjoy your overpriced staycation in Kerry, a walk in the rain, no bars, no restaurants, no nothing - if you're allowed to go 5km from your home. That's the definition of sad.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Really? Enjoy your overpriced staycation in Kerry, a walk in the rain, no bars, no restaurants, no nothing - if you're allowed to go 5km from your home. That's the definition of sad.

Does it matter for you where you go to yourself?

Are there any conditions or criteria that you have, or is it just to somewhere where nobody knows you? Is that the issue?

Sure if that 19.99 flight makes you have some happiness in your life, then far be it from others to try to deny it to you.

It's nice to go somewhere of course. I just think it's sad to hear of someone for whom that is their only source of happiness in life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

When people get a €19.99 flight, the least Ryanair should do is bring you to a place where everyone knows your name!!? Ffs Boycott Michael O'leary!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Got my vaccine, got my Irl passport, I dont have a health passport I'm itching to travel within Europe but cant face the fines or quarantine time so roll on 2022...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

pottokblue wrote: »
    Got my vaccine, got my Irl passport, I dont have a health passport I'm itching to travel within Europe but cant face the fines or quarantine time so roll on 2022...

Oddly enough we said roll on 2021 too and here we are again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement