Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I reckon they'll just delay as long as they can and muddy the waters with the media so people don't book stuff. It'll be economic and not health reasons why they'll delay it.

But a lot of people have already booked stuff as they just rebooked from last year. It's crazy all this talk of variants when it's been proven that the vaccines are effective against them. Why can't those of us who want to, just get on with our lives and those who want to stay locked up stay that way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Dr. Em wrote: »
    ??? Ireland already has a traffic light system - the EU one. The main problem is that cases all across the EU/EEA are so high that only Iceland, parts of Finland and parts of Norway are green.

There is some talk about increasing the acceptable threshold for the green classification across the EU, which would put Malta and Portugal on the green list.

Okay... But the traffic light rating system that's there does not take account of vaccination levels, arrival/departure testing etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If the fine lifts June 2nd I’m booking our flights for start of august with the kids, will hopefully be able to just do pcr if certs not in place. Myself and Mr PC7 will be fully vaccinated, seems ridiculous if rest of Europe will be allowed and we won’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Feria40 wrote: »
    Okay... But the traffic light rating system that's there does not take account of vaccination levels, arrival/departure testing etc.

It doesn't consider vaccine coverage at the moment. I don't know if that is being discussed or if it is assumed to be moot once the passport system comes into effect. Testing is part of the traffic light system. When countries signed up to it, they agreed that they would not require testing or quarantine from green areas.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic/common-approach-travel-measures-eu_en

The weekly reports are the thing to watch. If several countries go green and orange, we will see restrictions lifting much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Feria40 wrote: »
    Pending the full introduction of the EU Covid cert (with additional Tony protections on top) is there any likelihood of us creating a traffic light system similar to the UK in the interim?

Yes, but it only has one light. A big fat red one

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So France is on the hotel list while countries such as Nederlands Cyprus Croatia Slovenia etc with much higher per incidence rates are not. Who makes up this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This whole situation is a farce. I really hope people don’t stand by and watch our fellow EU citizens travel freely all summer long while we sit here battling gale force wind and rain because of the abundance of caution, concern, possible variants, etc... what a shocking way to treat the families of this country - many of whom have bookings for this summer moved from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

This whole situation is a farce. I really hope people don’t stand by and watch our fellow EU citizens travel freely all summer long while we sit here battling gale force wind and rain because of the abundance of caution, concern, possible variants, etc... what a shocking way to treat the families of this country - many of whom have bookings for this summer moved from last year.

People will unfortunately. We really need some leadership from out govt our MEPs also but most Irish people will shrug their shoulders and listen to Holohan and Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

kilns wrote: »
    So France is on the hotel list while countries such as Nederlands Cyprus Croatia Slovenia etc with much higher per incidence rates are not. Who makes up this crap

Yes its absolutely ridiculous, they must be worried about the potential for the garlic and onion or baguette covid variants to emerge from France. I'm going there come what may this summer and will be returning some other way if Guantanamo bay is still operating at Dublin in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Darwin wrote: »
    Yes its absolutely ridiculous, they must be worried about the potential for the garlic and onion or baguette covid variants to emerge from France. I'm going there come what may this summer and will be returning some other way if Guantanamo bay is still operating at Dublin in August.

It never was you'll be glad to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Do journalists ask questions with regard to covid of NPHET or govt? Or do they just go along with what has been told. For example what journalist questions the hotel quarantine to those in authority

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

pjohnson wrote: »
    It never was you'll be glad to know.

Do you think there should be international travel this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Depends on the roll out and new variants. (I know the vaccines work on variants but there was some report that one strain of the Indian variant appeared to be able to defeat one dose of certain vaccines)

There already is.

People will unfortunately. We really need some leadership from out govt our MEPs also but most Irish people will shrug their shoulders and listen to Holohan and Donnelly.

True and they should instead of social media 'experts'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Didn't the FG MEPs vote or abstain against the Green Cert earlier this week?

bubblypop wrote: »
    There already is.

No, there is no government plan for a return of non-essential international travel and the goal posts are continually being shifted. FFG are deliberately obfuscating the matter to stop people from making travel plans.

No, there is no government plan for a return of non-essential international travel and the goal posts are continually being shifted. FFG are deliberately obsufcating the matter to stop people from making travel plans.

The poster asked if there should be international travel this summer, there is.
    Non essential travel.is a different question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

saabsaab wrote: »
    True and they should instead of social media 'experts'

says the guy who read somewhere online that some Indian variant may escape the vaccine, and is using that to justify not allowing the reuniting of parents, children, grandparents and grand children, which to heartless people isn't essential.

Well able to quote the WHO when it suits his agenda though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

kilns wrote: »

Tony has an eight ball. No science, data or common sense needed.

• Advertisement

The poster asked if there should be international travel this summer, there is.
    Non essential travel.is a different question

I think you will find the poster was inferring non-essential travel.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    says the guy who read somewhere online that some Indian variant may escape the vaccine, and is using that to justify not allowing the reuniting of parents, children, grandparents and grand children, which to heartless people isn't essential.

Well able to quote the WHO when it suits his agenda though :rolleyes:

Not somewhere..It was from Tony himself yesterday as far as I can recall. You'd prefer to swamp us with new variants before we vaccinate most people?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Tony has an eight ball. No science, data or common sense needed.

Anguilla is the latest one on MHQ to amuse me since they removed Bermuda and Wallis and Futuna.

They have had 109 cases (ever), 0 deaths and a grand total of 2 cases since the 11th May.

Even the dogs on the street know they're not a threat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Depends on the roll out and new variants. (I know the vaccines work on variants but there was some report that one strain of the Indian variant appeared to be able to defeat one dose of certain vaccines)

There is only one strain of the Indian variant.
    And it doesn't defeat one dose of the vaccine it reduces its efficiency by 1.5 to 2 %
    Stop telling lies

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jn123

If Ireland are not budging on the non essential travel, how possible would it be to travel back from a “red listed” country via Belfast? Would there be issues booking covid tests after arrival? I see their policy is to quarantine at home, but to get covid tests on day 2 and 7 upon arrival.... just conscious with the address being in the south? Or having to drive up north for the tests? Anyone any experience? 🀔

I think you will find the poster was inferring non-essential travel.

Oh, you're a mind reader now? They said international travel. So I believed them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not somewhere..It was from Tony himself yesterday as far as I can recall. You'd prefer to swamp us with new variants before we vaccinate most people?

Tony based his statement on old information that he received from his uk counterparts, perhaps he should have wanted till he received the latest information before he commented because it contradicts the uk findings released yesterday.
    Plus he never said it would defeat a first shot.

Oh, you're a mind reader now? They said international travel. So I believed them

If you want to be pedantic, international travel includes *all* travel. At least your buddy saabsaab understood what they were inferring.

If you want to be pedantic, international travel includes *all* travel. At least your buddy saabsaab understood what they were inferring.

I don't presume to assume what people are inferring, I take them at their word.
    International travel is allowed.

• Advertisement

I don't presume to assume what people are inferring, I take them at their word.
    International travel is allowed.

Sigh. Let's try again. International travel is only allowed for what are deemed essential purposes and everybody is well aware of that, that is why this thread exists. It is to discuss the prospects or lack of relating to non-essential travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement